Start by marking “Blind Justice” as Want to Read:

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  465 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Criminal lawyer Jake Denney has hit rock bottom. But when a childhood friend is accused of murder, Jake puts away the bottle and takes the case in a last-ditch effort to restore his dignity and renew his spirit.
Published January 1st 2000 by B&H Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about Blind Justice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blind Justice

James Glass
Aug 25, 2015 James Glass rated it liked it
I thought the plot and the characters were very well written. Watching the drama unfold in the courtroom kept my interest throughout. Then when I reached the last quarter of the book the bottom fell out. It just seemed too crazy to believe. I knew the story would end with some sort of witchcraft but I felt, as a reader, I was cheated out of a better ending to the story.
Tim Chavel
Jan 31, 2013 Tim Chavel rated it really liked it
James Scott Bell is an excellent author. He has a gift of using words to paint a picture. As I read the book I could see the characters, places, and events in my head. This story is about a washed up lawyer who takes on a case for a childhood friend who he had not seen in years. The childhood friend is challenged mentally but has married and whose wife is murdered. He (the childhood friend) is accused of the murder. Many colorful characters are introduced in the story. One character, the PI who ...more
Jane Blanchard
Jul 27, 2015 Jane Blanchard rated it really liked it
Blind Justice by James Scott Bell is a legal thriller.

As a drunken lawyer, Jake Denney is accused of being a disgrace to his profession. His marriage is ruined, he is behind in his rent, and the only reason he has not killed himself is his love for his daughter.

Then, Jake Denney is called to defend his childhood friend, Howie Patino. Accused of killing his wife, Howie only recalls that the devil was there. As children, Jake often defended Howie, who is mentally "slow." Will he be successful agai
C.J. Darlington
Jan 27, 2015 C.J. Darlington rated it really liked it
Bell has just re-released an updated version of this novel, and even though I read it back when it first released, I read it again! Kept me turning the pages, as before. The ending did seem a little "out there", but I always enjoy a Bell novel. Legal thriller fans should give them a try.
Phoenix Reads
Mar 26, 2014 Phoenix Reads rated it it was amazing
Shelves: legal-thrillers
I liked the writing with witty prose, well-written characters, and I kept turning pages, rooting for Jake Denney. I had to find out how in the world he was going to handle this impossible case. It was open and shut – guilty. Besides that, he was in terrible shape, definitely in no shape to be in a court room. Not to mention running a non-guilty case against a prosecutor who was out for blood and a judge who did not like him. He couldn’t possibly win.

I was impressed and immediately went to Amazo
Sandy Snavely
Feb 17, 2014 Sandy Snavely rated it it was amazing
Blind Justice was a first for me by James Scott Bell. It's the story of a lawyer whose career is on the rocks. When he's asked to defend an old friend who has been accused of murdering his wife Jake jumps into it with about as much enthusiasm as a drunk on his day off. This story moves quickly, has just the right amount of twists and turns, and weaves a love story through it without getting sappy. James Scott Bell's writing is every bit as good as Grisham. If all his books are this well written ...more
Wendy
Feb 06, 2013 Wendy rated it it was ok
Having read several of James Scott Bell's books and columns on the craft of writing fiction, I decided to give one of his novels a try. This book was a mixed bag for me. The main character Jake is a bit of a cliche - a lawyer who's haunted by the shadow of his unloving and punitive father and, as a result, is so deep into the bottle that it has affected his career and almost got him disbarred.

When Howie, an acquaintance from Jake's childhood, is charged with murder, Jake steps in as his defense
John Faubion
Aug 04, 2013 John Faubion rated it it was amazing
I've been working at being a writer for about three years. In that pursuit, I've read some of James Scott Bell's tutorial books on the writing craft (Plot and Structure being my current favorite). All excellent.

As odd as it sounds, this was my first time to actually read one of his novels. BLIND JUSTICE is one of his earlier ones, and now that I've read it, I'm looking forward to the rest.

In BLIND JUSTICE, James weaves a suspense novel around themes of the occult, alcoholism and Grisham-style la
Judy B. Burford
Sep 07, 2013 Judy B. Burford rated it it was amazing
The pace at which Bell races through the plot and elevates the tension left this reader breathlessly awaiting the turn of each and every page of his novel, Blind Justice.

Bell wove threads of similarities between characters that mirror some of the universal challenges faced by mankind. Jake Denny, lawyer for the defence, and his client, Howie Patino, both suffered as children. One was taunted by a deplorable father, the other by classroom bullies. Plus, both were shunned by their wives. Thus, Jak
Kathy Piper
Aug 23, 2013 Kathy Piper rated it really liked it
I had a great time reading this novel. The protagonist, Jake Denney, is an anti-hero, a real loser of a lawyer who is drowning his career and personal life in a seemingly never ending stream of booze. He's likable -- but you just want to slap him upside his head for his self destructive ways. He takes on a possibly career ending case defending in court an old friend who he had defended years ago when they were kids on their school playground. Howie, we sense even from page 1, is slow. He is chil ...more
Laura Bennet
Nov 18, 2014 Laura Bennet rated it really liked it
This was a great read. I appreciated the unexpected plot and the fact that the main character is struggling with alcoholism and stubborn pride. His messed up life is common to many, but he has a best friend and a new friend who in a very real way try to offer him spiritual and emotional help, but they also let him fall when he chooses.They stick by him no matter what. A good character development story with a lot of action and twists.
pat hohmann
May 17, 2016 pat hohmann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found it a real interesting style of writing

Besides being a mystery it might help those who have substance problems see the light. What a wonderful outcome that would be. It was a great and had a great plot
Melissa Ferris
Jan 31, 2014 Melissa Ferris rated it did not like it
It was just a negative book. He was a bad lawyer with a drinking problem and he stumbled through the case and didn't do a good job. The witchcraft/demonic side of the book was not well done at all and I wouldn't have read the book if I had known it had that element in it.
Michelle
May 22, 2014 Michelle rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book and the twists and turns. However it felt like the author gave up near the end in order to finish the book and tie everything up in a neat little bow.

The writing was descriptive and engaging for 90% of the book and then, when it mattered get like it was just phoned in.

Still a good story and a fun read.
Virginia
Feb 05, 2016 Virginia rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Story was engaging, but it was unexpected that there would be a Christian conversion aspect to the story. Might read another one of his books since the story telling was fairly engaging.
Paula
Aug 19, 2015 Paula rated it really liked it
Very good and quick read. Enjoyed the lawyer story. Jake, the lawyer, was pretty broken and took the case defending a childhood friend who was a bit "slow". Quite a few twists.
Denis Bédard
Jun 23, 2016 Denis Bédard rated it really liked it
I tend to stay away from books with devils. Nothing to fear from this one : not a book about ghosts or demons. A very interesting novel. Read it in a couple of days.
chris rogers
Oct 13, 2015 chris rogers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun read

Interesting characters, a nice twisted plot and perfect for an escape into a small California town where all is not what it appears.
Michele Feliu
May 15, 2015 Michele Feliu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Blind Justice

James Scott Bell is an excellent writer. Loved the book. I will look for more books by him. Several interesting characters.
Sheryl Oliver
Feb 14, 2015 Sheryl Oliver rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

Couldn't put it down. I loved way Jake overcame his struggles of addiction and learning to love life again. Many twists and turns.
LaVon Crum
May 02, 2016 LaVon Crum rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good mystery.

I am totally happy with this book. I liked the mystery, the trial, the lawyers dedication to his school friend.
Mary Beth
Mar 01, 2015 Mary Beth rated it liked it
I didn't like this book as much as I usually like JSB. It felt negative and I didn't like the witchcraft angle at all.
K.P. Stafford
Oct 20, 2015 K.P. Stafford rated it it was ok
Shelves: on-hold
I've read about half of this book. The story is good, but the more I read, the less I like the MC. I've put it down for now, but may finish it after a break from wanting to body slam the MC. If that's what Bell was shooting for from the reader, he hit the mark.
Lila Johnson
Feb 06, 2015 Lila Johnson rated it really liked it
Great page turner. Realistic dialog with a Christian storyline woven throughout.
Lana Superchi
Nov 27, 2014 Lana Superchi rated it it was amazing
Full of suspense and keeps me turning pages. James Scott Bell never disappoints!
Tania
May 29, 2014 Tania rated it it was amazing
Great book first one I have read by James Scott Bell and wont be my last, I really liked the main character Jake.
Jill Bratcher
May 24, 2010 Jill Bratcher rated it really liked it
Shelves: james-scott-bell
Take washed-up alcoholic lawyer Paul Newman in "The Verdict" and put him on the case of a sweet but slow man accused of brutally murdering his wife...and up the suspense with spiritual warfar.

Well done, Jim!
D
Dec 05, 2013 D rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's Ok!

I did get through the whole book but I have to admit I did skip some parts. For me, there was some weird parts. The ending was a little surprising. Would I buy it? Probably not.
C.M.T. Stibbe
Dec 15, 2013 C.M.T. Stibbe rated it really liked it
Loved this book and loved James Scott Bell's seminar in Newark, California earlier this year. He is a great writer and motivational speaker. Can't wait to get my hands on a few more of his books.
Bill Welte
Aug 09, 2013 Bill Welte rated it it was amazing
I felt a little deceived in purchasing this book as I thought it was brand new. I already read this but it still was an excellent read. I love James Scott Bell.
  • Expiration Date
  • Irreparable Harm
  • Life Everlasting (Santee, #2)
  • The Great Divide
  • Deep Blue
  • Dread Champion
  • Angels Flight (Shannon Saga #2)
  • The Final Crumpet (A Royal Tunbridge Wells Mystery #2)
  • Vanished (J.D. Stanton #2)
  • Secrets, Lies and   Alibis
  • The Hidden
  • The Truth Teller
  • Don't Take any Wooden Nickels (The Million Dollar Mysteries, #2)
  • And Then There Were Two (Dani Ross Mystery #2)
11957
Jim is a former trial lawyer who now writes and speaks full time. He is the bestselling author of Try Dying, No Legal Grounds, Presumed Guilty, Glimpses of Paradise, Breach of Promise and several other thrillers. He is a winner of the Christy Award for Excellence in Inspirational Fiction, and was a fiction columnist for Writers Digest magazine. He has written two books in the Writers' Digest serie ...more
More about James Scott Bell...