Breath by Breath: The Liberating Practice of Insight Meditation

Breath by Breath: The Liberating Practice of Insight Meditation

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  223 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Freedom from suffering is not only possible, but the means for achieving it are immediately within our grasp—literally as close to us as our own breath. This is the 2,500-year-old good news contained in the Anapanasati Sutra , the Buddha's teaching on cultivating both tranquility and deep insight through full awareness of breathing. In this book, Larry Rosenberg brings thi...more
Published November 9th 2004 by Shambhala (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Breath by Breath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breath by Breath

Cindy
This is mostly an analysis of the Anapanasati Sutra by a local teacher from the Cambridge Insight Meditation Center. It's clear, readable and interesting. He does pepper it a bit with personal stories - I had to laugh at the one about a 3 month meditation retreat in Thailand that culminated in a week without sleeping. It made me think that some people will turn just about anything into an extreme sport. His chapter on daily practice for laypeople was more useful and I did like the book. (April 2...more
So far, the most helpful idea of this witty meditation book is his description of the mind.... it's like a dog chasing a plastic bone over and over. Our minds keep going after the same worries or different worries with the same, non-nutritive, repetitive result. Mediation is a way to quiet the wayward puppies of our mind for just a moment, and watch those fleeting worries pass by, unchased, with the same result.

Thankfully, he says it a lot better. It is a very enjoyable book.
Genevieve
read this book within a sangha and it was exceptional to break it down and put it into practice - I come back to it time and again in all it's highlighted and dog eared glory!
Michaela
Read this in conjunction with The Meditative Path and these two books really complimented each other. This book follows the Anapanasati Sutra. The author has wonderful quotes scattered throughout. For example, "Most of the time that people get discouraged with practice, they do it to themselves. They've heard time and time again that the practice is being nobody and going nowhere, then they sit down and try to be somebody getting somewhere." The author does a good job of explaining the origin of...more
Steve
I read the first 4 chapters on an anapanasati retreat, and it was complimentary because the 18 stages get complicated rather quickly. Rosenberg is a good story teller at times. I've tried to read the book when I wasn't doing the practice, in preparation to do the practice, but that's really hard. Reading it while you are on retreat doing the practice, the book is amazing. So I recommend you read it that way if you want to get the most out of it.
Joel
This is one of the first books that I read on meditation and it really extra-super helped me out. It's not so much of a technique book, but it does give a framework for understanding the kinds of experiences that this sort of meditation provides -- a what-to-look-for sort of situation/dealie/thing.

I definitely recommend it if you're looking to surf the Vipassana wave.
Mary Mcrobbie
Recommend this book to practitioners who desire to learn the benefits of living in the present moment. It is a wonderful guide to following the breath and finding inner peace.

The books speaks to me in different ways each time I read it. I will re-read this book forever.
Chazzy
oh so great! i recommend this book to any and everyone. it will make you so aware of self... well as much as a book can... that you'll be ready to do a vipassana retreat right then. which i haven't done, by the way.
Sirpa Grierson
"One trains oneself. . . " For anyone who really is attempting to learn mindfulness, this is a must read. Its one that I will return to time and time again as my meditation practice becomes an increasingly practical art.
Chris Bush
I highly recommend this book to anyone looking for a clear, straightforward guide to meditation to develop insight and to work towards enlightenment. Rosenberg stress a path aht is practical and grounded in living everyday life.
Thomas Neville
My first book on Buddhism/meditation and turned out to be the best one by far. I wasn't into Thich Nhat Hanh or any of the other eastern authors. This guy's American.
Connie
Oct 19, 2012 Connie marked it as to-read

Until I get my breathing issues solved, I can't bring myself to pick up this book, as much as I was enjoying it.
Nancy
Clearly and gently guides one to how to practice Buddhist meditation, with principles behind the practice.
Adriana
Good beginners guide to listening to your body and finding inner-peace.
Sidney Luckett
Excellent down-to-earth wisdom from the buddhist tradition
Bill
Very readable introduction to insight meditation
Benjamen
Feb 07, 2012 Benjamen marked it as to-read
rec'd by kurt harris. read asap
Daniel Prasetyo
Daniel Prasetyo marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Achint jaiswal
Achint jaiswal marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Necole Vitale
Necole Vitale marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
warren santoro
warren santoro is currently reading it
Aug 18, 2014
Mountain Dweller
Mountain Dweller marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Terri
Terri marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Alex Appleton
Alex Appleton marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
  • The Experience of Insight: A Simple & Direct Guide to Buddhist Meditation (Shambhala Dragon Editions)
  • Mindfulness, Bliss, and Beyond: A Meditator's Handbook
  • Insight Meditation Kit
  • Eight Mindful Steps to Happiness: Walking the Buddha's Path
  • Food for the Heart: The Collected Teachings of Ajahn Chah
  • Meditation for Beginners
  • Open to Desire: Embracing a Lust for Life - Insights from Buddhism and Psychotherapy
  • The Long Discourses of the Buddha: A Translation of the Digha Nikaya
  • Living with the Devil
  • Dancing with Life: Buddhist Insights for Finding Meaning and Joy in the Face of Suffering
  • Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha: An Unusually Hardcore Dharma Book
  • In the Buddha's Words: An Anthology of Discourses from the Pali Canon
  • Breathe! You Are Alive: Sutra on the Full Awareness of Breathing
  • Being Nobody, Going Nowhere: Meditations on the Buddhist Path
  • Toward a Psychology of Awakening: Buddhism, Psychotherapy, and the Path of Personal and Spiritual Transformation
  • The Middle Length Discourses of the Buddha: A Translation of the Majjhima Nikaya
  • Buddhism: The Religion of No-Religion (The Love of Wisdom Library)
  • It's Easier Than You Think: The Buddhist Way to Happiness
Living in the Light of Death: On the Art of Being Truly Alive Three Steps to Awakening: A Practice for Bringing Mindfulness to Life The Berry Book Kokyū Ni Yoru Iyashi: Jissen Vipassanā Meisō Jewish Synagogue