Start by marking “Outnumbering the Dead” as Want to Read:
Outnumbering the Dead

Outnumbering the Dead

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  12 reviews
In a future where medical advances and lukewarm fusion have made the world immortal and prosperous, cultures and societies allow everyone freedom and satisfaction. This novella is among Pohl's best work. . . . The veteran maestro has not lost his power to chill.--The Times (London). Illustrated.
Published May 1st 1992 by St. Martin's Press (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Outnumbering the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Outnumbering the Dead

TK421
OUTNUMBERING THE DEAD was easily one of the most thought-provoking books I have read in quite some time.

In the distant future humans have the ability to live forever. While still in the womb, these unborn babies are given a treatment during the second trimester...for most, it works. But for the unfortunate few, time still slips away one second at a time.

Essentially, Pohl uses this slim volume to explore the consequences of immortality. Since most of the population is unable to understand what
mlady_rebecca
My favorite quote from this book:

The male and female speakers are both actors. The story takes place in a future society where disease has been eliminated, and humans have greatly extended lifespans. It's an interesting comment on the idea of immortality.

'You mean Algretta? I don't know,' he said, after thought. 'Forse it's just because she's so different from us. She doesn't even talk like us. She's - serious.'

'Oh Rafiel? Aren't we serious? We work hard.'

'Well, sure we do, but it's just - well
Chris Lynch
I read it years ago, but this novella has stayed with me. It asks: in a world of eternal youth, why grow up? When you've got all the time in the world, why do anything?
Chris Bernard
This was really good. "Having the time to do everything turned into an excuse not to do anything."
Anita
This is a 1990 Novella by Pohl, and probably not representative of his work. I don't recall anything I've read by him and wanted to try something that wouldn't take long to read. A 100 page book fit the bill. I'll give him another try with an earlier full-length book, but I was pretty much bored with this one. There were some great futuristic scene settings and I liked the ending, but there seemed to be a lot of filler in it that could have had better character interactions, I thought. I do not ...more
Craig
Here Pohl accomplished in a very short novel what many other writers have taken trilogies to do; he's painted a very realistic portrait of a far-future world, peopled it with interesting and convincing characters, and offered serious and thought-provoking insight into the nature of humanity. It's a very poignant volume.
Jim
What do you do as a mortal when everyone around you lives forever? Frederik Pohl crafts an elegant story that explores the meaning of life and death in an elegant, subtle and poignant tale of what it means to live. His craft at building an entire utopia yet emphasizing humanity all within a novella is remarkable.
Richard
Fairly interesting classic sci-if utopia world building, but the story is short and only develops the one concept. I was hoping for some insight into mortality from an aging author but all I got was the trite 'live on through your children'.
Marik Casmon
Aug 30, 2009 Marik Casmon rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Blanche
Science fiction set in the distant future about a song-and-dance man who, unlike most other people at that time, is not immortal. The story of his last few days/weeks. Interesting and well-written.
Manuel Todro-rodriguez
I read this book back in junior high or high school. I remembered it was a great concept, but had to re-read it. Definately had a deeper meaning and more impact at this stage in my life.
Jeff
I found Pohl's view of the world as the only man who could die intriguing, excellent read, not too long of a book either.
Ned Stenger White
a great look at the questions of mortality and immortality.
Ana Cláudia
Ana Cláudia marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Jasmin Begic
Jasmin Begic marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
James Parsons
James Parsons marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Allen Thompson
Allen Thompson marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Janis
Janis marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Zscribbles
Zscribbles marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
John Armstrong
John Armstrong marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
John
John added it
Aug 23, 2014
Brianna Andreda
Brianna Andreda marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Xellos Matarium
Xellos Matarium marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Frederik George Pohl, Jr. was an American science fiction writer, editor & fan, with a career spanning over seventy years. From about 1959 until 1969, Pohl edited "Galaxy" magazine and its sister magazine "IF", winning the Hugo for "IF" three years in a row. His writing also won him three Hugos and multiple Nebula Awards. He became a Nebula Grand Master in 1993.
More about Frederik Pohl...
Gateway (Heechee Saga, #1) Beyond the Blue Event Horizon (Heechee Saga, #2) The Space Merchants (The Space Merchants #1) Man Plus Heechee Rendezvous (Heechee Saga, #3)