Start by marking “Eric” as Want to Read:

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  551 ratings  ·  44 reviews

This is the bestselling story of Eric, a boy with leukemia who refused to give up livingas told by the person who was with him through it all, his mother.

Eric was seventeen when he heard the doctor's verdict about the disease that wanted his life. At first he and his family could not believe it. Eric was the picture of everything a youth should bea champion athlete, a spl

Mass Market Paperback, 267 pages
Published October 1975 by Dell Publishing Company (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Eric, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eric

Bridge To Terabithia by Katherine PatersonWhere the Red Fern Grows by Wilson RawlsHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakMy Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
Saddest Books
176th out of 349 books — 653 voters
The Invention of Religion by Alexander DrakeIf I Should Die Before My Dog -- by Joe ConnollyThe Glass Castle by Jeannette WallsFreakonomics by Steven D. LevittThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
favorite non-fiction
154th out of 332 books — 331 voters

More lists with this book...

This book changed my life. It was the first book I read without being forced to , after High School, and gave me my first glorious taste of the power of the written word. It moved me to tears several times, and I immediately read everything I could get my hands on. Doris Lund was a mother of a son with cancer, who wrote the most moving, loving, true, story of her and her son, through his achingly haunting short life, with a grace and dignity I have rarely seen since in nonfiction. I felt I was a ...more
Powerful, moving, heartbreaking account of a mother's memoirs of a her son, Eric and his battle with leukemia. While she explains the treatments Eric receives and it's devasting effects on him, it is written in layman's terms and easily understood.
In recounting her experiences, and Eric's, I felt her helplessness and pain watching her child suffer; Eric's bravery and honesty was inspiring.
It's been over thirty yeas since I read this book and I still think of Eric, and Doris too.
This is an excell
One of my all-time most memorable books. I first read this book when it came out in the 1970s, and in fact, read and reread it then (I was in middle school at that time). I think it had some impact on the naming of my first child.
I do still think about Eric Lund from time to time. His mother wrote this book so well, that her son is unforgettable.

(Later addition to my review): Little did I know when I wrote this review about a year ago, that 6 months ago, my own young-adult son would be diagnose
I picked this book up over 20 years ago because the title was the same as my best friend's name. I had no idea when I picked it up that it would become a book I would read over and over again. It is both uplifting and heartbreaking. I have never tired of reading it and hope I never will. The courage of this young man and his family is one that moves me every time I read it. I try to pick it up again to read when I am reminded by events around me about how precious and fragile life is. Be sure to ...more
A heartrending account of a young man's battle with cancer, as told by his mother. I had to teach this book as part of a course I taught my first year. The class was about heroism, and I see why this book was chosen. While he was certainly no superhero, he battled a force that is so difficult to defeat in the world we live in that it has killed thousands upon thousands. I don't usually read biographies, especially ones that I know are going to rip out my heart, that kind of self-punishment is no ...more
Mar 24, 2011 Renae is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book when I was around 14 years old. It touched me so deeply then, and even today, at the age of 36, I have never forgotten it. Doris Lund tells the story from her heart, and you feel like you are a part of her family as she takes you through their struggles. You feel the pain of each family member and at times it's heartbreaking. Eric's story has taught me we should live life to the fullest. Eric certainly did that. He is an inspiration to people everywhere. I'm sure he's got ...more
I remember reading this book for the first time as a teenager (I'm now in my 50s), and have read it at least five times altogether. I had to ultimately laminate the covers of my paperback copy because it was so well-read. It is a loving portrait of courage, humor (my favorite scene is the I.V. scene), and resilience written by a mother, but also shows her own courage in standing by him and loving him through it all, as only a true mom can.

Although I had decided to be a nurse at age 4, long befo
I love this book. I have read it multiple times, and own multiple copies (to give to other people to read). The first was a copy given to me by my 6th grade teacher, who allowed us to take one book from his classroom library.

This is a powerful and terribly sad book. The first time I read it, I just remember liking Eric and his personality so much. When I read it later in life, it gained more meaning, as I read it again after losing a family friend to lung cancer. The details seemed so much more
Jim Barber
One of the most powerful books I've ever read. I first read it in the mid 1970s and have reread it several times through the years. Loved the way this young man lived his short life with gusto and all of the great support he had. The book begins with a quote from G.K. Chesterton that was on a blackboard in Eric's room during the last years of his life and that I have tried to remember for most of my life: "We are all in the same boat, in a stormy sea, and we owe each other a terrible loyalty."
Annie Edmonds
Mar 05, 2014 Annie Edmonds rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teenagers
This book has stuck with me since I was a teenager. I remember how it touched my heart and I do believe it is the reason I love reading books. I realized that you could be taken away from your life even for just a little while. When Eric is diagnosed with Leukemia as a teenage boy he doesn't except that fact that it could kill him. He fights with the courage of a lion. This is a book I would give any teenage girl or boy to read. It always been one of my favorites..
I read this in 4th grade, and I believe this is the very first book I ever read. It's at least the first book I remember reading. I haven't read it since, so I'm reviewing it through the eyes of an adult looking back to early childhood. It was such a sad sad read and I remember it affected me deeply as a child. And I knew it was a true story so that made it even more significant. I may read this again as an adult.
The true story about a 17-year-old who finds out he has leukemia. Details the fight he went through in the next four years to overcome the disease and to become a man. Eric's last years are seen through the eyes of his mother, and explain in some detail the struggles he went through to live life to the fullest in the short time he had. Shows the way he was able to touch the lives of those he met. He continued to be an outstanding soccer player for U-Conn and to work toward his college degree.

Deborah Moscoso
I know this is an old book, but I had not read it. I was overwhelmed with story; what this whole family had to suffer made my heart just ache.
I read this book when I was approximately 13 years old and it was fascinating.
I cried...
Eric died from leukemia more than 4 decades ago. Cancer is still lethal, though some forms less so, including leukemia. Losing a child is still the absolute worst thing that could ever happen to a parent. But all I kept thinking about as i read this was this poor mother was at home in Connecticut while her very ill son was inpatient in NYC with only a single busy pay phone to connect them! No cell. No FB. No text. Thankfully all this is incomprehensible to me, on every level. Also, incomprehensi ...more
I read this when I was 11 or 12 and I remember just LOVING it. That's all I got :)
Lee Yahnker
Sad story of a young man with leukemia. Sad story. Amazing how far medicine has come.
oh i so remember this book, read it many times as a kid, cried every time :)

Oh i just found it in my library - I am going to read this as an adult now, as a mother, and as someone who has battled chronic illness and faced death, wow, this is going to be weekend where I will need to snuggle up and just read!
Part of the Kathy cries a lot reading series. Really, I remember this as quite good. I was about Eric's age or a little younger when I read it. Standing here with my kids older than he was, I cannot imagine picking this book up again. She did a great job writing it, but it would be too painful to read.
A true story about a young man who died of leukemia in his early 20's in the early 1970's. Written by his mother. It was a bit depressing, with many things that struck me as odd, such as after he died they didn't claim his body and instead let him be buried in the city's mass grave.
Jo Evans
I love this book, I first read it aged 12, and have bought several copies throughout the years. Whilst it is undoubtedly a sad story it is also incredibly uplifting at the same time which brings me back time and time again. Thank you Doris for sharing your and Eric's story with us.

Nadia Ruiz
I read this book when I was 19, a friend lent it to me and it was so inspiring and I really felt the mother's pain, I felt like reading it again a few years ago and I reassured me how strong and revealing this woman's story is, it's definitely one of my favorite books
Remember reading and crying in high school, sharing the book with others who also cried. We rarely let it go back to the school library but kept passing it around amongst outselves. One of those.....
Loretta Nixon
Absolutely one of the most touching and memorable books I have ever read in my life. Originally read when I was a teenager, definitely need to revisit for its differing perspective.
Carol Merrill
I read this book in Jr. High. It was the longest book I had ever read, but I read it in two days. It is the story of a teenage boys struggle with cancer. I cried my eyes out.
A sad, but well written book. It still haunts me 30 years after I read it. I found a used copy and bought it and plan to read this again with adult eyes.
Read in high school. Believe that it may have damaged me a little. Non fiction book written by Eric's mothe Doris Lund about his battle with cancer.
Heather Kelton
I love this book! It is one of my favorites and I read my first copy so many times it wore out and I had to buy a new one! It is so inspiring.
  • A Circle of Children
  • Nurse
  • Survival in the Shadows: Seven Jews Hidden in Hitler's Berlin
  • Karen
  • The Native Americans: An Illustrated History
  • Spirits of the Earth: A Guide to Native American Nature Symbols, Stories, and Ceremonies
  • Breaking the Surface