Start by marking “Midway: the Battle That Doomed Japan” as Want to Read:
Midway: the Battle That Doomed Japan

Midway: the Battle That Doomed Japan

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  150 ratings  ·  16 reviews
The great air and sea battle of World War II,
as seen through Japanese eyes . . .

For the Japanese, confident over the easy victory at Pearl Harbor, the Midway operation had one objective; to draw out the U.S. Navy and destroy it. Thus, on June 4, 1942, Admiral Yamamoto launched his attack on the base at Midway Island with the largest fleet yet assembled in the Pacific, inc
Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages
Published September 12th 1982 by Ballantine Books (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about Midway, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midway

Nick Hawkins
For many decades this was the only English language account of the battle from a Japanese perspective. Unfortunately we were mislead by Fuchida, more recent work has revealed that this book is deliberately in error on several key points (see Shattered Sword: The Untold Story of the Battle of Midway for details).

It's still a good read but more as a historical novel than a record of history.
Jeffrey
It's always fascinating to read about battles from the viewpoint of the other side, and this book is a great view of the Japanese campaign in the Pacific - from Pearl Harbor through Midway - from the perspective of one of their own officers. It was a revelation to the Japanese people when it was first published in the early 50s, as they had never been told the truth about much of the war. Much of it will seem "old news" to modern Western audiences, but the insights about Admiral Yammamoto's stra ...more
Sean
This wasn't the book I read. I bought a paperback book about the battle of Midway at a school "book fair" when I was in fourth grade. I was a bit of a WWII nerd back then and the cover art on the one I bought caught my eye. I honestly can't remember much about the book, except that I really liked it at the time.

I may still have my copy buried in a box of paperbacks in the loft. I may just read it again if I've still got it.

I suspect Fuchida's book is an interesting read, showing that very decisi
Peter Galamaga
The Battle of Midway from the Japanese perspective. A bit slow and detail focused for the first half of the book where the lead-up to the battle is described.
As a former US Navy officer, I found the battle descriptions fascinating and horrifying. I can't imagine a worse nightmare than being trapped aboard a flaming warship during battle.
One significant takeaway that I got from this book - and something that I'm finding as a constant in all of the history accounts I read - is that "experts" are n
Dave
A must read for any student of Midway if only to appreciate the view from the Japanese perspective as they handily beat off attack after attack during the epic day and began to feel truly invincible...until the "helldivers" (their term for the onslaught of Navy SBD Dauntless Dive Bombers) from USS Enterprise and USS Yorktown that arrived as the defending Zero fighters were dealing with TBD Torpedo bomber attacks. The rest is history as the tide shifted in the war....
Jill
Aug 08, 2011 Jill marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I looked for the 'Japanese Destroyer Captain' book that Natalie just profiled, but no luck at my library. However looking under the Roger Pineau (tertiary author) name led to this well reviewed 'Midway' book, which I have ordered from the Esquimalt branch of the Greater Victoria Library. Esquimalt is also home to Canada's western naval headquarters.
Guy Saults
I thought this was a great book when I first read it. Now I understand that the book is full of inaccuracies and gives a vey misleading account of the entire campaign. Historians are still scratching their heads wondering about the author's motivations for obscuring the facts for so long.... I believe the book was never intended for a Westetn audience.
Colby
This book offered a fascinating Japanese perspective on the Battle of Midway. It pointed out the Japanese fleet's tactical errors, but more interestingly explored some philosophical and cultural causes for those errors.
Robert Snow
Commander Mitsuo Fuchida, who led the first air strike on Pearl Harbor wrote this book in the mid 50's and it is a classic work. I first read this in high school and it taught me to read history from different perspectives.
Edward
Largely superseded---if not outright discredited---by the excellent "Shattered Sword", this is still an interesting look at the early stages of the Great Pacific War from the Japanese perspective.
Brenton
A history of one of the most strategic naval battles (and American victories) of World War II as told from the Japanese perspective.
Patricrk patrick
Excellent read. Written right after the war this is an good look at the Japanese thinking that led to Midway.
Kai
always good to have the other side to tell the story too...excellent read about the Battle of Midway.
Corey
If you want to know Midway from the Japanese perspective, from someone who was there, this is the book.
Richard
Excellent account of the battle of Midway from the Japanese side.
Brandon
A fascinating account of a familiar battle from a 'new' perspective.
Michael Blackmer
Michael Blackmer marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Dj
Dj marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Wendy Elliott
Wendy Elliott marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Fritz Worley
Fritz Worley marked it as to-read
Sean Downey
Sean Downey marked it as to-read
Squirrels Are Awesome
Squirrels Are Awesome marked it as to-read
TJ
TJ marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
John Sheehan
John Sheehan marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Chris Ross
Chris Ross marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Joel
Joel added it
Nov 09, 2014
  • Clash of The Carriers: The True Story of the Marianas Turkey Shoot of World War II
  • Eagle Against the Sun: The American War With Japan
  • Silent Victory: the U.S Submarine Victory against Japan (Bluejacket Books)
  • The Two-Ocean War
  • Incredible Victory: The Battle of Midway
  • Miracle at Midway
  • The German Generals Talk
  • Guadalcanal: The Definitive Account of the Landmark Battle
  • A Time for Trumpets: The Untold Story of the Battle of the Bulge
  • Samurai!
  • A War to be Won: Fighting the Second World War
  • The Pacific War, 1931-1945 : A Critical Perspective on Japan's Role in World War II (The Pantheon Asia Library)
  • Halsey's Typhoon: The True Story of a Fighting Admiral, an Epic Storm, and an Untold Rescue
  • The Battle of Kursk
  • Operation Drumbeat: Germany's U-Boat Attacks Along the American Coast in World War II
  • Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo
  • D-Day
  • Panzer Battles: A Study of the Employment of Armor in the Second World War
From Pearl Harbor to Calvary: True Story of the Lead Pilot of the Pearl Harbor attack and His Conversion to Christianity Kido Butai from "Pearl Harbor to Golgotha" For That One Day: The Memoirs of Mitsuo Fuchida, the Commander of the Attack on Pearl Harbor