Start by marking “Shy Boy: The Horse that Came in from the Wild” as Want to Read:
Shy Boy: The Horse that Came in from the Wild

Shy Boy: The Horse that Came in from the Wild

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  1,956 ratings  ·  52 reviews
World-famous horse gentler Monty Roberts reveals the unique rapport he shares with one special horse: a wild mustang
In this beautifully illustrated book, Monty Roberts's be loved horse Shy Boy takes center stage. In a gripping, intimate narrative and in one hundred color photos, Monty Roberts relives their unique relationship, beginning with his first encounter with the
Published May 4th 1999 by Harper (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Shy Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shy Boy

Monty Roberts is one my heros when it comes to all things equine. He has a natural tenderness in him that I can only hope to embody in my ongoing work with horses (and people!). Mustangs, especially, are highly sensitive animals with intensely honed instincts; only someone like Roberts who effortlessly speaks their language (the language of Equus as he aptly names it), can truly commune with the soul of the horse and develop a relationship that is of immeasurable depth and value.

What impresses
Natasha
Monty Roberts is a man to look up to. He has a way not only with horses but various flight-driven species; deer, ect.
He uses a gentle approach and is a leader in the growing movement towards 'gentling' horses, rather than breaking them. His work is proving to even the most traditional cowboy that there are other methods that are kinder to the horse, and at the same time work and create a more respectful and willing relationship between man and equine.
Elizabeth Kennedy
Loved this book and love everything about Monty Roberts. Monty overcame severe abuse at the hands of his father and watched his father beat and abuse horses. Vowing to never treat another living being with cruelty, Monty has built up a way to gentle horses and help them become used to humans with love and kindness. He lets the horses know they are safe and that he respects them, understanding their language and needs. If I had a horse I would definitely work with him this way. Monty must be one ...more
Ron
At the age of 65, Monty Roberts the original horse whisperer, replicates an experience he had as a boy - gentling a horse in the wild. The horse in this case is Shy Boy, brought in from the high deserts as part of a BLM program to control the numbers of mustangs that roam the public lands of the western states. Set free to join a herd on the open range of a huge ranch in northern California, he has a new life until Roberts (and a BBC film crew) single him out for Roberts' system of training hors ...more
Louise
In this beautifully illustrated book, Monty Roberts's beloved horse Shy Boy takes center stage. In a gripping, intimate narrative and in one hundred colour photos, Monty Roberts relives their unique relationship, beginning with his first encounter with the wild horse in the high desert. During a dramatic three-day ride across a hundred miles, Monty Roberts used all his skill to connect with the little mustang he finally befriended.

Throughout the year that followed, Shy Boy grew to love life on t
Beverly
During a three-day ride across miles of high desert, Monty Roberts used all his skill to connect with the little mustang he finally befriended. In the year that followed, Shy Boy grew to love life on the farm, playfully demanding attention, and becoming fascinated by children. After a year of challenges and one frightening illness, the wild horse's exceptional spirit earned the respect and admiration of his trainers. Great horse story
Julie
The most amazing book about the most amazing man, have read all his books and love the way he works with horses and gains their trust without any malice or abuse. Have seen him work on the TV and would love to meet him, if you love horses or even if you don't you will enjoy every book and the message he is trying to portray
Alizee
Although it was interesting and mildly entertaining, I was disappointed by this book. I have always been a great fan of Monty Roberts but this book was pretty boring and it was hard to finish.
Ashley
such a good book. I think it really changed the way people dealt with horses and showed everyone that you can train a horse using trust and gentleness.
Ella
I started it and never finished don't know why someday I will finish though :D
Randy Daugherty
In Shy Boy , the horse that came in from the wild, we are once again joined by Monty Roberts, the original Horse Whisper.
Shy boy is a wild mustang who Monty is sure he can use his technique of joining with in the wild with no fences.
The challenge is taken up by the BBC and they are on their way. What follows is a unique and inspiring story.
Perhaps this new way of schooling horses will catch on and be more main stream than the methods of the past.
If you love horses you should check this out if no
Jen
Mainly about the wild mustang Monty joined up for a television show, but also had side stories about the mustangs in general.

'No other animal in history has had more impact on our lives than the horse. Millions of horses gave their lives in our wars. They transported settlers in covered wagons across continents, delivered our mail, plowed our fields, cleared our lands, and entertained us with their athleticism on racetracks and show grounds. And during all this time they have provided faithful c
Molly
The pictures in this book are beautiful, as is the subject matter. I think there was a documentary on Monty and his methods that I had seen and that prompted my husband to buy this book for me as a gift. The process is remarkable how Monty trained this wild mustang. I think there was also a fascinating correlation with the impact his non-violent training demonstrations had on audience members who had been abused. Maybe that part was only in the documentary though. Don't remember.
Jenny Hakes
So fare I love this book and the horse Shy Boy is the best horse that came from the wild. The kid sade that he could tame a horse but the werkes sade he cont so goes out acot a horse and thamd a horse. When he brot the horse back they dint bileve him but he now he chout him. 10 to 15 years later there was a droing to cach 10 wild horse he enterd and got cosen. A week later he stard on giting the hores from the wild. It is so hard to put down and the horse is the simble of freedom.
MTR
There was a lot about this story that bothered me-- I don't know a lot about the issue around saving wild mustangs-the author was careful in his critique of the BLM. While I applaud his efforts to influence the way wild horses are "broken" his method of dogging the horse into submission was disturbing. Not to mention these wealthy ranchers spreading their destructive cattle all over these beautiful wild places. I give 5 stars to the photographs, though.
Jo
Gorgeous pictures and there are a lot of them, the content is a little light. I much prefer what Tom Dorrance and Ray Hunt have to say about the language of the horse and there is a lot more usable content to pick up from Tom and Ray and use with your horse work. The book was first published in 1998 and with the distance of time I view his writings about the plight of the mustang with a jaded eye.
Mary
A very inspiring book about one man's way of communicating with a mustang (wild horse). Beautifully written, along with some great photography, I really enjoyed this book and so will you if you love horses or even just care about animals; Monty Roberts will show you a different way to respect another creature.
Heather
wonderful book by the legendary Monty Roberts. If you love horses, you will enjoy this book. Shy Boy, an American mustang, is also mentioned in The Man who Listens to Horses, another
book by Monty Roberts.
very moving book about communication between handler/trainer and this wild mustang.
Winston
Awesome pictures and great easy to read educational story about a true horse whisperer and even how success with a horse can and does take time. The Robert Redford movie got that right. Rehabilitating a horse or getting a wild one to cooperate and work with you does take time and patience.
Amy
The REAL horse whisperer!! This just proves that animals are intelligent, can make their own decisions and are just as emotional as humans. This definitely puts the end to the animals are dumb belief. I intend to try to track down the actual video of this!
Charles F. Bond
i must say, what a joy of a book. but i can not remember half of what i read, i did enjoy it very much, when i did read it, so long ago. when i find this book, in a box (somewhere) more than likely, i will read it again and update this review.
Elizabeth
Love this book. Read it a lon time ago but any horse lover/owner should read it. Amazing example of the bond that can form between two species. Communication between us is possible if we just listen, Monty Roberts proves it.
Rena Sherwood
Shy Boy is a great book for horse lovers -- but be sure that the recipient likes Monty Roberts. There are many "horse people" who can't stand him. This is a very hopeful book and well illustrated. The text is thin.
Carolyn
A truly sensitive record of the experiences of a unique human and a horse, as Monty tells of his gentling of the horse, Shy Boy, from the wild, no violence just invitation. Fantastic photographs taken at the time.
Wolfje
Interesting, intriguing and worth reading even when not a fan of Roberts' technique. I surely enjoyed reading this book a lot and I think every other horse lover will. Read and learn. ^_^
Shillene
I LOVE the Pictures. I didn't finish the book. I LOVED learning about wild horses and how they act verses domestic...(not wild) horses. Interesting how Monty Roberts tamed Shy Boy.
Malpal
I loved this book. Monty Roberts is so thoughtful and insightful into the world of horses, and the story of Shy Boy is captivating. The photographs in this book are absolutely stunning!
Lyndsey
one of the best books I've ever read. I'm going to use what i have learned from Monty Roberts to 'Join Up' with Flicka, a filly that is pastured on our land.
  • The Tao of Equus: A Woman's Journey of Healing and Transformation Through the Way of the Horse
  • The Soul of a Horse: Life Lessons from the Herd
  • Chicken Soup For The Horse Lover's Soul: Inspirational Stories About Horses and the People Who Love Them (Chicken Soup for the Soul)
  • The Horses of Proud Spirit
  • Where the Blind Horse Sings: The Uplifting Story of the Catskill Animal Sanctuary and the Animals Who Call It Home
  • Crazy Good: The True Story of Dan Patch, the Most Famous Horse in America
  • Beyond the Homestretch: What I've Learned from Saving Racehorses
  • A Good Horse Is Never a Bad Color: Tales of Training through Communication and Trust
  • Hope Rising: Stories from the Ranch of Rescued Dreams
  • A Year at the Races: Reflections on Horses, Humans, Love, Money, and Luck
  • Saddled: How a Spirited Horse Reined Me In and Set Me Free
  • Ruffian: Burning From the Start
  • Horse People: Scenes from the Riding Life
  • The Faraway Horses: The Adventures and Wisdom of One of America's Most Renowned Horsemen
  • The Horse God Built
  • Funny Cide: How a Horse, a Trainer, a Jockey, and a Bunch of High School Buddies Took on the
  • The Hearts of Horses
  • Shadow Horse
He wrote that by personally observing horses in the wild, he learned to "listen" to their non-verbal "language"; that when horses understood that they can trust you, they will decide to be with you. Roberts registered as his term for "hooking on", the phrase "Join~Up", in which a trainer negotiates with an untamed horse to form a voluntary relationship with him
More about Monty Roberts...
The Man Who Listens to Horses The Horses in My Life Horse Sense for People: The Man Who Listens to Horses Talks to People From My Hands to Yours: Lessons from a Lifetime of Training Championship Horses Ask Monty: The 150 Most Common Horse Problems Solved. Monty Roberts