Start by marking “Radical Equations: Civil Rights from Mississippi to the Algebra Project” as Want to Read:
Radical Equations: Civil Rights from Mississippi to the Algebra Project

Radical Equations: Civil Rights from Mississippi to the Algebra Project

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  156 ratings  ·  26 reviews
At a time when popular solutions to the educational plight of poor children of color are imposed from the outside-national standards, high-stakes tests, charismatic individual saviors-the acclaimed Algebra Project and its founder, Robert Moses, offer a vision of school reform based in the power of communities. Begun in 1982, the Algebra Project is transforming math educati ...more
Published February 1st 2002 by Beacon Press (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Radical Equations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Radical Equations

Jenny GB
My rating for this book isn't a rating of the Algebra Project itself. I think what Robert Moses did during the civil rights and has done for education is courageous, inspirational, necessary, and yes radical. He is doing very important work that is now really being brought forward by Common Core Standards. However, this book was a tough read. I had a lot of trouble with the asides from various other people throughout all the chapters. First, it wasn't clear sometimes who was commenting and it re ...more
Dont
I came to this book as part of research on the contribution of Ms Ella Baker to the civil rights movement as well as the role of radical pedagogy in the struggle. As a lead organizer in the Student Non-violent Coordinating Committee, Moses occupies a special in telling the story of the Mississippi campaign. This book intriguingly weaves together Moses's remembrances of that time along with a thorough introduction into the history, ideas, and practices of the Algebra Project. Published in 2001, t ...more
Kristin
Many people talk about education as a civil rights issue, but before I read Radical Equations I had never seen anyone apply the strategies of the civil rights movement to education. Civil rights leader Bob Moses reflects on his experience organizing African Americans in Mississippi to register to vote in the 1960s and applies the lessons he learned to his work increasing math literacy among students of color. Moses is convinced that approaching education reform from the perspective of a communit ...more
Katy
I love Bob Moses! This year the class I taught was named for him and so I figured I should actually read his book instead of just reading about him. It did not disappoint. He describes his experiences doing voter registration during the Civil Rights Movement, which in and of itself is fascinating to read. Then he goes on to connect this to his current work, the Algebra Project. His theory is that math literacy is the civil rights issue that will make the difference nowadays and is an access issu ...more
Katie
Access to algebra as a civil rights issue. A good reminder of the inequity of education in this country.

I enjoyed both the civil rights portion and the Algebra Project portions of the book. Somehow, the civil rights memoir was from a perspective I have not read before~ someone on the ground in MS in 1962, but not someone whose story has been mythologized beyond humanness. This perspective made the events more real and more personal.

Then, the mathematics part ~ very inspiring. What the Algebra P
Kevin Burns
Bob Moses has brilliant ideas of how to improve the school systems: his Algebra project. School curriculum must change with the times and the study of math needs to be addressed. In his book it seemed like no one liked math, the school board, the principles, teachers, parents or students but everyone recognized the importance of its place in academia. As I am working with students who struggle with math I will use his ideas to teach them difficult mathematical concepts. Overall Bob Moses' work i ...more
Izetta Autumn
Bob Moses sets forth the theory that math literacy is the Civil Rights issue of the 21st Century. One of the things I really loved about this book, is how Moses grounds education, and constantly references Ella Baker. It's clear how much he respected, admired, and learned from her. As someone who also admires Ella Baker immensely, I feel so happy and proud to see her appreciated by others - especially leaders in the movement.

Moses makes a good point, that math literacy is an access issue. Not ha
Charlene
This is a MUST READ for any educator, parent or anyone concerned about civil rights and education. This book explores the relationship between math literacy and access to full participation in civic life and the understanding of how to manage one's own. He makes a compelling argument for Algebra being a "gatekeeper" subject and math literacy being the civil rights issue of the 21st century. He draws on this own experiences as a community organizer in Mississippi in the 1960's and his work on the ...more
Susan
I had some trouble staying engaged through the details of the civil rights movement in the first few chapters, but once I got to chapter 4 where he started talking about the algebra project I really enjoyed it. As a teacher it was encouraging to see the grassroots work that has begun regarding understanding and making connections to algebra. I recommend this for any educator or parent who is struggling to teach algebra it will inspire and motivate you to teach.
Patricia
Nov 19, 2010 Patricia marked it as to-read
Civil rights pioneer wrote this book illustrating his journey from civil rights activist to math activist. He sees the disinterest in math education as creating a new generation of "sharecroppers" and has founded the Algebra Project to combat this.

The book spends a lot of time in Mississippi talking about Moses' civil rights days. I was looking for more information about the Algebra Project and lost interest in the book. I might pick it up again later.
Anthony
I read this book as part of an Equity Reading group. Not one of my favorite subjects (mathematics) as a school leader I needed to broaden my understanding of Algebra as a "gatekeeper" for college and career readiness. Especially as it pertains to students of color. I was enlightened and given a better base for a belief in Algebra for all at the middle school level.
Matteo
i had to read this book four times before i finally understood it, but now i think i do.
Bob Moses is my hero, for the work he did in the Civil Rights Movement (he was behind Mississippi freedom summer) as well as the work he is doing now with math literacy in inner-city schools.
The book is broken up in two parts, which tell the story of those two aspects of his life.
Gabe
I liked the book because of the content. Some nice background history from an inside source on the civil rights movement, and a pretty interesting story about the growth of the algebra project. I wish the author had gone deeper into the project, he seemed more interested in the big picture rather than the details.
Hannah
Don't take the star rating too seriously. I had to read it for class and I'm resentful because it took up valuable time I could have spent studying for other, better classes, playing Skyrim, or generally not reading a book about a program that I'm pretty sure has become defunct (don't quote me on that).
Alex Templeton
Read for a class. Good points, but IMHO would have made a much better journal/magazine article than book. Still, if you're interested in knowing the ins-and-outs-and-hows of civil rights organizing in the 1960's, you might be interested in the first three chapters.
Abby Jean
fascinating paralells between the civil rights movement and current access to education that will allow people to participate in the economy as knowledge workers. a bit more about process of building the program than content, but still quite interesting.
Heather
Such a cool project! This is the book that first got me thinking about teaching math. Baltimore has a chapter of the algebra project and I am trying to convince my school to get the project going in our school.
Rachel
Sep 26, 2010 Rachel added it
Shelves: recent-reads
I confess, I never actually finished this. I had to return it to the UPenn library so I could receive my degree... I wish I had time to finish it, though! Math literacy... here we go!
Dwayne
Mar 30, 2008 Dwayne added it
One of the great minds and spirits of the modern civil rights movement has masterfully linked math literacy to the definition of citizenship and freedom in the 21st century.
Diana Suddreth
Math literacy really is the gatekeeper to success. Moses makes a very good argument for it being the civil rights movement of this century.
Eden
Oct 14, 2008 Eden is currently reading it
Just beginning this one, it's Robert Moses' story of organizing young students of color around algebra.
Andrew
seriously, get off your lazy ass and start helping robert morris and i save the world...
Noelle
I wish this is how my math experience had gone. Brilliant idea.
Billiam
Knowledge of mathematics is as much a civil right as suffrage.
Jacob
Math as social justice. Very compelling.
Rachel
math and civil rights!
E. Albatross
E. Albatross is currently reading it
Oct 29, 2014
Aaron
Aaron marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
mstan
mstan marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Rachel Singh
Rachel Singh marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • What's Math Got to Do with It?: Helping Children Learn to Love Their Least Favorite Subject--and Why It's Important for America
  • Other People's Children: Cultural Conflict in the Classroom
  • Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics: Teachers' Understandng Fundamental Mathematics in China and the United States
  • The Teaching Gap: Best Ideas from the World's Teachers for Improving Education in the Classroom
  • The Math Instinct: Why You're a Mathematical Genius (Along with Lobsters, Birds, Cats, and Dogs)
  • The Power of Their Ideas: Lessons from America from a Small School in Harlem
  • The Flat World and Education: How America's Commitment to Equity Will Determine Our Future
  • Ella Baker and the Black Freedom Movement: A Radical Democratic Vision
  • The Long Haul: An Autobiography
  • Teaching Critical Thinking: Practical Wisdom
  • Mindstorms: Children, Computers, And Powerful Ideas
  • So Much Reform, So Little Change: The Persistence of Failure in Urban Schools
  • Young, Gifted, and Black: Promoting High Achievement among African-American Students
  • Ghetto Schooling: A Political Economy of Urban Educational Reform
  • Math, Science, and Unix Underpants
  • Across That Bridge: Life Lessons and a Vision for Change
  • Words Their Way: Word Study for Phonics, Vocabulary, and Spelling Instruction, [Book, CD & DVD]
  • This Nonviolent Stuff'll Get You Killed: How Guns Made the Civil Rights Movement Possible
Radical Equations: Math Literacy and Civil Rights Freedom Summer Quality Education as a Constitutional Right: Creating a Grassroots Movement to Transform Public Schools