Start by marking “Summer's End” as Want to Read:
Summer's End

Danielle Steel

Summer's End

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,215 Ratings  ·  96 Reviews
Deanna was eighteen when she married a handsome Frenchman, attorney Marc-Edouard Duras. Now, at thirty-seven, she should be happy with Marc, her elegant home in San Francisco, and their teenage daughter, Pilar. But one summer changes it all when she realizes her failing marriage is a trap she must escape.
Hardcover
Published by G K Hall & co (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Summer's End, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer's End

Suzanne
May 01, 2015 Suzanne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: donated
This was a quick read for me on a road trip. Traffic was terrible so I had lots of time. Alas, as always, we find some very well to do adults, a marriage that has stayed together, and a husband that's not nice. Then of course a wife that finds the love of her life, they come together for a passionate while, then end up apart. They should be together and she makes the selfless decision to stay apart. But will that be the end?! A bit of fun, I wasn't disappointed I read it, as it was an easy read ...more
Adl2614
Sep 19, 2012 Adl2614 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished this book for the 3rd time and I want to start it over again. I LOVE this book! This book makes me want to take my sketch paper and charcoal pencils on a road trip to Carmel and bask away in the sun and leisure time. This is probably my favorite Danielle Steel book and she really did well with the raw feelings and setting description. You really and truly feel for these characters! You'll not want to put the book down!
Magdalena
When banality becomes amusing.
Some good theories about why French people are so stupid and mean. Another thrilling production by the Steel factory. Another beautiful and suffering heroine, another handsome man. Both wealthy but modest, beautiful but not superficial, smart and sensible. And of course BIG LOVE. Enjoy, it's like a supermarket cupcake - a decent industrial comfort food.
Andrea
Dec 01, 2009 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book on my flight from North Carolina to San Jose. It was a very easy read as I finished when I landed at my layover in Las Vegas. More of a love story and drama.
Kandice Poirier
Jan 14, 2009 Kandice Poirier rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is one of steele's best books!
Lacy-[Lacy's Book Talk]
Jul 21, 2016 Lacy-[Lacy's Book Talk] rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who love Danielle Steel, romance
Yet another DS book that I have to rate three stars. When will it end? The reason that I didn't like this book to well was for one simple reason. It's such a typical plot. Deanna is trapped in a pretty awful marriage. She can't leave for some reason, I have no idea why. Her daughter treats her like crap and is a total daddy's girl.

Then Deanna meets Ben and they fall in love. But after the summer is over, she realizes that she can't be with him so she goes back to her terrible husband. Finds out
Crystal

I'm not usually a fan of books with pathetic female leads (which I found this one to be), but there was enough character development that I was able to understand how she might have ended up that way.

There was a bit of obsession with youth in this book. Every second positive descriptive word was "young" ("...she looked so radiant and young...", etc)and ever second negative descriptive word was "old" (...she looked tired and aged..., etc). It seemed over all the message this book was attempting t
Linda
Sep 01, 2013 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story is about a woman, called Deanne Duras, who is a talented painter, without knowing it herself, who is married to a rich elderly lawyer, who is often away for business, and keeps a 2nd ménage with a young french girl who accompanies him on his trips. The husband and spoiled brat of a teenage daughter go to France to stay with his mother, a cold-blooded woman, where the daughter is involved in a serious motor accident. During the 3-month vacation, Deanne meets a gallery owner, who convinc ...more
Dawn
Aug 03, 2016 Dawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An entertaining book with unexpected plot twists. There were parts, though, that two people would banter back and forth and then bring the topic up again and maybe a third time. These pages were tedious.

I recommend this book.
Bruna Vraničić Vujević
Jednostavno odlična! Dirnula mi je dušu i potpuno me obuzela! Uživala sam u svakoj stranici. Definitivno ide u sam vrh mojih favorita.
Éride
Jul 07, 2016 Éride rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Reseña de SU GRAN PASIÓN.
Su gran pasión es una novela romántica escrita por Danielle Steel en 1979. Consta de un total de 262 páginas.
Cuenta la historia de Deanna, una mujer que se dedica a la pintura, casada con un famoso abogado francés, y con una hija adolescente llamada Pilar. Ella se siente sola porque su marido y su hija apenas le prestan atención, ya que se dedican a viajar por el mundo sin ella. Pero un verano, cuando su marido se marcha por motivos laborales a Atenas y su hija se va a F
Kavitha
Aug 03, 2016 Kavitha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Danica
Feb 05, 2012 Danica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first shot at a Danielle Steele novel. It's definitely one long, complicated yet satisfying love story.
Donia Sheikh
Jul 22, 2013 Donia Sheikh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
رواية أكثر من رائعة. أحداثها صعبة التوقع. تشدّ القارئ لمعرفة ما سيحدث. أنا سعيدة بالنهاية، و"شمتانة" بمارك!
Kris - My Novelesque Life
1 STARS

"Deanna was eighteen when she married a handsomeFrenchman, attorney Marc-Edouard Duras. Now, atthirty-seven, she should be happy with Marc, her elegant homein San Francisco, and their teenage daughter,Pilar. But one summer changes it all when sherealizes her failing marriage is a trap she must escape." (From Amazon)

Originally when I read Danielle Steel novels I would have rated them 3-4 STARS, but now I would classify them as 1-2 STARS. These are great for those who like mild sex, unreali
Tabbiann
I read this book from 1-16-09 till 1-19-09.
Nichole Severn
This was the very first Romance I ever picked up at the treacherous age of thirteen. In fact, it was the very same Romance my mother picked up when she was a teenager too. So when I was writing a guest post on my introduction to the Romance genre, I had to read it again.
By the end of the first chapter, I was bawling like a baby. There have been two instances in which a book has made me cry, but this book was #3. I immediately connected with the heroine, however, this book wasn’t nearly as romant
Amina Adams
Sep 30, 2014 Amina Adams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written, a moving story. I immediately disliked Marc-Edouard and was angry with Pilar's attitude towards her mother, which made me feel sorry for Deanna. Having a husband who belittled your skill, is hardly around for you and indirectly turning your daughter against you; what sort of marriage is that? When Deanna finally made the ultimate decision I was like... HURRAY! There are some Danielle Steels I never want to read again but SUMMER'S END is NOT one of them. Kudos to Ms. Steel.
Kristy
Jul 29, 2015 Kristy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fluff
Julie Barrett
Aug 02, 2013 Julie Barrett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Summer's End by Dnaielle Steel
deeanna is an artist she paints beautiful pictures and many galleries want her to sign with them.
Ben is one of them and she's very comfortable with him. Mark, her husband does not approve of her passion.
She and Ben will spend the summer together as her husband is busy in Rome with his endeavors...
The story also follows Mark and his escapades overseas..When Deeanna gets a call from overseas that her daughter has been in a motorcycle accident and she's paralyzed and
Heather Conway
I keep coming back for more. I do wish the stories could vary a little more than the location but I guess you always know what you are going to get. Bored housewife, cheating husband, etc. It was a quick and easy ready and Ms. Steele does know how to write about love.
Rime Alali
Oct 23, 2015 Rime Alali rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it, loved it! So much angst so much love, everything is in this book! It's such a cliché story but I loved it. However, the only downside is how fast the last event happened in the last chapter. But other than that, Danielle Steel hardly disappoints me.
Angie Dickerson
Not a big Danielle Steel reader but this was a great romance. I loved the characters and the way she makes her settings pop with vivid detail and a powerful descriptive voice.
Herty Nana  Asantewaa Boateng
I read this book in two days. It was so interesting that I couldn't stop reading. I did not sleep the whole night, until I finished this book. I know you will love it too.
Hollie
I like Danielle Steel books but have not read one in a long time, and this one was definitely worth the wait. It is one of those books that once you get into it, you can't read it quickly enough, you just want to get to the next page and see what is going to happen. Within the first few pages it is easy to see what a good book this is, and, which is unusual for these types of books but also quite nice, there is more left to the imagination than is put in print.
The good part that I found was that
Bee❤️Kellan-Jesse-Bear-Calder-Archer-Royal-King-Killian❤️  Bento
how could danielle have so much for writing like this? i love all her novels, and i still have more the 50 to read!!! God help me! I just can't spot reading them..
Sherry Meeks
Feb 06, 2015 Sherry Meeks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just can't get enough

I love her books she's a fantastic author I recommend this book to anyone who believes in love and being loved
Herty Nana  Asantewaa Boateng
I finished this book in two days, I never slept. This book is one of the best books of Danielle Steel. I recommend it to everyone. This is my favorite book.
Diane
Mar 01, 2014 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am always happy with any Danielle Steel book. This was a happy and sad story, more like real life. I suffer from depression and it is hard to find all happy books that aren't children's books. I was able to get passed the sad parts and enjoyed the story line.
  • The Lives of Danielle Steel: The Unauthorized Biography of America's #1 Best-Selling Author
  • Danielle Steel
  • Sacred Ground
  • Wish Come True (Carson Springs, #3)
  • Joanna's Husband and David's Wife
  • Missing
  • Horse  (Rolling Thunder Motorcycle Club, #6)
  • Streets of Blood (Shadowrun, #8)
  • Nell
  • Captive Embraces (Captive, #2)
  • An Unexpected Family (Ladies of Covington, #7)
  • Random Hearts
  • The Friends
  • The Ice House
  • Nameless (Less Series, #2)
  • Forbidden Flowers
  • Class Reunion
  • The Delta Star
Since 1981, Ms. Steel has been a permanent fixture on the New York Times hardcover and paperback bestseller lists. In 1989, she was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for having at least one of her books on the Times bestseller list for 381 consecutive weeks. But Guinness was premature. The fact is that one or more of Ms. Steel's novels have been on the New York Times bestseller list for ...more
More about Danielle Steel...