Start by marking “Beachy Head with Other Poems” as Want to Read:
Beachy Head with Other Poems

Beachy Head with Other Poems

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  17 ratings  ·  5 reviews
On Thy Stupendous Summit, Rock Sublime That O'er The Channel Rear'd, Half Way At Sea The Mariner At Early Morning Hails, I Would Recline; While Fancy Should Go Forth, And Represent The Strange And Awful Hour Of Vast Concussion; When The Omnipotent.
Published June 1st 2004 by Kessinger Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Beachy Head with Other Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beachy Head with Other Poems

Emma by Jane AustenMansfield Park by Jane AustenPersuasion by Jane AustenDon Juan by George Gordon ByronThe Monk by Matthew Gregory Lewis
Romantic List
79th out of 86 books — 10 voters
The Satires of Juvenal by William Barnes RhodesA General History of the Science and Practice of Music - 5 Vo... by John HawkinsThe History of Sandford and Merton by Thomas   DayBeachy Head with Other Poems by Charlotte Turner SmithThe father and daughter by Amelia Opie
Emma Woodhouse's 101 Titles
4th out of 14 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Joe
Jan 23, 2013 Joe rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
It takes a lot of plant knowledge to get into the substrate of "Beachy Head." But my impression is that she evokes a kind of swampy romantic vision of nature rooted in her childhood, ridicules more masculine pastoral version of romanticism, and then shoots it in the head and stuffs the body in a hole. Literally, it ends with a corpse. The years of a bad marriage, debtors prison, etc seem to seep into this--the amplitude of her life experience. Yowza.
Lesliemae
The way the Romantics must deal with the transformation and perceived rupture of their reality is truly astounding, deeply sympathetic, and ever timely. How do you allay personal suffering when all you can see when you look out your window is the black asphalt hillocks roll into the intermingled horizon of half-built condo-developments, smoke stacks, expressways, and passing commercial barges? I've always been struck by Wordsworth, who told me one yesteryear that the eye that can see it - sees b ...more
Jonathan
it was certainly an interesting read. I had to grab a few poems from Smith to write and essay for class, and she certainly provided! Admittedly there is very little critical work I've been able to find on Smith, but that means there's more interpretation for me to do!

Loren Harway said that there isn't much to this book. I vehemently disagree. Her work as a female Romantic-era poet is outstanding and exemplifies the emphasis on nature and the common man.
Loren Harway
Well I didn't totally understand it. But then I didn't want to, so fair dues.
Keaton
Dec 09, 2014 Keaton marked it as purposely-partially-read
Read: "Beachy Head"
Alyssa Long
Alyssa Long marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2014
Malak Adny
Malak Adny marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Laura Richardson
Laura Richardson marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Florentina Bacioi
Florentina Bacioi marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2013
Mariah Cherem
Mariah Cherem marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2013
Neveen H. Badr
Neveen H. Badr marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2013
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2012
Charles M. Rupert
Charles M. Rupert marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2011
Open Loop Press
Open Loop Press marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2009
1902609
Charlotte Turner Smith (4 May 1749 – 28 October 1806) was an English Romantic poet and novelist. She initiated a revival of the English sonnet, helped establish the conventions of Gothic fiction, and wrote political novels of sensibility.

(from Wikipedia)
More about Charlotte Turner Smith...
Emmeline The Old Manor House (Broadview Literary Texts) The Poems of Charlotte Smith Desmond Celestina