Bone Mountain (Inspector Shan, #3)

Bone Mountain (Inspector Shan #3)

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  521 ratings  ·  50 reviews
Agreeing to lead an expedition to return a long-lost Tibetan idol to a remote valley, former Beijing police inspector Shan finds the pilgrimage threatened by the murder of the monk guiding them, an American woman geologist who has fled to the mountains, and the Chinese army, from whom the idol had b
Published May 1st 2004 by St. Martins Press-3pl (first published September 19th 2002)

Marsha Altman
Too long, too depressing. The first book was amazing, the second book had the added interesting element of the Uighur struggle, but here was just have the same tropes: the Tibetans have had a miserable past, are miserable now, and have nothing to look forward to in the future. If anything, they're delusional, holding mantra sessions against tanks and oil rigs coming to destroy the remnants of their culture.

In this book it's one bad thing after another. Sadly, Shan, who usually holds the book tog...more
Bruce
This is the third novel in a series about Shan, a Chinese Han former Beijing Inspector sent to a forced labor camp in Tibet, a camp from which he was ultimately unofficially released. Subsequently he worked with Tibetans struggling to preserve their culture from destruction by the Chinese government. Pattison, an international lawyer and frequent visitor to China, has obvious affection for the Tibetan people and uses his novels to portray their plight to the world. This particular volume is as e...more
Sophie
If I had to name the one thing I love most about these books, it's Lokesh. He is one of the most likable and inspiring characters I have ever met in a book.

It's good I don't have to limit myself to just one thing, however, because that way I can also talk about Pattison's uncanny ability to describe a country and its traditions and people so well it truly feels like you are there, and you can feel the wind and sense the beauty. And I can talk about how powerful his descriptions of the crimes ag...more
Lee
Another stunner by Pattison in his Inspector Shan series.

A long book (626 pages in the pb version I read) and a slow pace could be the recipe for boring, but Shan and Pattison's other characters are so engaging and the obvious feelings that the author has for Tibet and Tibetans in their struggle against China means that interest does not wane. As with all the Shan books so far it is this struggle both within Shan as he continues to discover his inner deity and of the Tibetans to retain everythi...more
Kathleen Hagen
Bone Mountain, by Eliot Pattison, b-plus, Recorded by National Library Service for the Blind,

Chan Tao Yun is a Chinese bureaucrat who got on the wrong side of the Chinese government when he started defending and supporting Tibetan monks who were being abused and killed, and whose culture was being deliberately destroyed by the Chinese government. He spent time in a labor camp and then dedicated himself to helping Tibetan monks save their culture. This is the third book in the series and continue...more
Dorothy
Bone Mountain is the third in Eliot Pattison's interesting series of thriller/mysteries about Shan, a former police inspector in Beijing who spent years in a Chinese prison because he refused to turn a blind eye to corruption in high places. He was exiled to a work camp in Tibet which was otherwise peopled by Tibetan monks and lamas. He learned much from his fellow inmates and when a Chinese official arranged for his unofficial release from prison, he made his way to those monks and lamas on the...more
Booknblues
I love the Inspector Shan mysteries and seem to be addicted to them right now. There is like any mystery a bit of a formula and some suspension of belief, but the characters, scenery and Buddhist attitude draw me in.

Generally Shan the ex Beijing Police Inspector who has spent time in a prison and been unofficially released is given a task which is set before him by the Buddhist monks (Gedun or Lokesh) whom he lives with.

In Bone Mountain, Shan is sent to return the eye of a deity to a faraway mou...more
Milli Linnea
When I first came across Eliot Pattison's mysteries set in Tibet, I was thrilled. Tibetan culture is something I've been interested in for years, in fact ever since I first read Tintin in Tibet. My love for Tibet only increased when I discovered Tibetan dogs (but that's another story.)

Like the two earlier books in the series, Bone Mountain was fascinating, but sad. Parts of it read like a fantasy because of the incredibly interesting and unique culture and lifestyle of (some of) the Tibetans. Pa...more
Justin
This is the third novel in Pattison's Shan series. Shan is a former government inspector, an ethnic Han Chinese from Beijing, exiled to Tibet (for having the misfortune of being slightly too successful in fighting public corruption). Pattison's Shan series quickly became one of my favorites last year, along with the superficially similar Qiu Xiaolong's Inspector Chen series. Both series are English language mysteries which involve Han Chinese, and both are really good, but there the similarities...more
Linda
Jan 10, 2014 Linda rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Linda by: nobody
As with every book in this series, Tibet is the main character. When I go into these books, I live under their spell for days after - and I've found my worldview being re-evaluated in terms of how the people of Tibet live and believe.

Trying to summarize the plot of Bone Mountain - or of any of the Inspector Shan series is something I'll leave to others - because for me, there is no summary possible; let's just say it involves elderly lamas; an "outlaw" ex-Bejing party official who found himself...more
Kristena West
I love all inspector Chan mysteries, they go beyond what one would expect. I am always so grateful that the traditions of Buddhism are part of the story line and some of the hidden mysteries are revealed. The problems that Chan faces as a "hidden" Buddhist ex Chinese investigator, are filled with tragedy and moral challenges that hopefully I will never have to face.

In writing these expose's on what China is doing to the Tibetans' Pattison supports the efforts of everyone who is trying to help t...more
Alan
Eliot Pattison's books about Shan, a former investigator who after going after the wrong party official was sent to labor camp in Tibet and became involved in Tibetan Buddhism. Now released from labor camp he is journeying with his friend the monk Lokesh carrying the "eye" of a deity back to the valley it came from. Very interesting interaction between the traditions of the Tibetans and the attempts by the Chinese to obliterate them. This is the 3rd book in the series which began with The Skull...more
Annabelle
Pattison still does the extensive research, and I still love and care about the Shan, the Chinese Investigator who is sent to the gulag in Tibet after being too honest. But the plotting is turgid, and it is hard to care as Shan and Lokesh, his Tibetan monk side kick, travel and travel, find strange people suffering and secret caves, Americans helping the Chinese to mine Tibet, but then turning when they are captured by the Tibetan Buddhist simplicity and lovingkindness.
In this one, Gendun, Shan’...more
William Crosby
Much of the essence and situation of this book is conveyed by this sentence from the book:

"The ram with the red-spotted pouch was at his side, looking up at him with frightened eyes."
☯Bettie☯
Alain Dewitt
I really enjoy Pattison's Inspector Shan series novels because they work on several levels. First, they educate the reader about Tibetan culture. Second, they are intriguing mysteries. And, third, they are a damning indictment of the Chinese oppression of Tibet. In all cases, Tibetan culture forms the backbone of the mystery. In order to accomplish this, Pattison displays a masterful understanding of Tibetan culture and Buddhism (which are one and the same).
Peter
Another incredible intellectual, spiritual and mysterious journey in a series that I have grown terribly fond of. A former Chinese investigator living a twisted life training as a Buddhist Monk who is forced by fate, kharma and personality to rub up against some of the ugliests atrocities of our age. Pattison knows China, Tibet and Buddhism at a depth and force that makes the books truly believable, engrossing and moving.
Lisa Wilcox
So many characters in this one and intertwined plot threads, I didn't quite manage to keep track of them all. The cultural conflicts between the Communist Chinese and the many indigenous cultures of Tibet —particularly the diverse traditions which meet in Tibetan Buddhism— were well and truly developed. Pattison somehow manages to raise profound spiritual questions through the familiar genre of detective fiction.
Msgypsy
I cannot get enough of the books in this series. Pattison's obvious affection for both the Tibetans and for Chinese culture (as embodied in Shan and others such as the archeology professor Ma) comes through clearly. His writing evokes the same feelings in the readers as in the characters. I always walk away from an Inspector Shan novel feeling like I've just returned from a visit to Tibet.
K
I just finished reading this book. I felt like it was a bit slow, although still a good story. There were a lot of Tibetan words used that made it difficult to understand and follow at times. Mainly I'm just too lazy to look up the meaning of the words in the back of the book. Overall it wasn't bad, but it didn't keep me up at night such that I had to finish it.
Hollis
I continue to love this series of books. Although the mystery part is always good - lots of twists and turns, to me, it's all about the Tibetan Buddhism and how it shapes the people of Tibet. At the same time, I feel they're teaching me so much about the reality of Tibet after the Chinese invasion. I continue to look forward to the next one!
Susan
This is the second in the series about Shan and his friend Lokesh in recent Tibet. It's a story of Tibetan Buddhism, of Tibetans and their practices of centuries facing the cultural and military might and policy of China. It's a story of mysticism and mystery, of abuse and healing, of destruction and restitution.
Chad
This is the second book by this author I have read, and he is quickly becoming one of my favorites. This series, featuring a truly good man in terrible circumstances (China-controlled Tibet), has reminded me of what it means to be compassionate and to serve selflessly. I thoroughly recommend it!
Vivienne
As with the other books in this series my prime reason for reading was its setting in Tibet and the backdrop of the Chinese occupation.

I still feel that sometimes the minor characters are hard to keep straight and must remember to keep notes for the next one I read.

Overall a story of hope.
Mguhin
#3 in the Inspector Shan series brings more about what makes Tibet fascinating, the devastation that China's occupation has wrought, and another complex plot with continuing characters. As usual, you must pay attention to keep it all sorted until the end.
Irishcailin
This is the 3rd book of Pattison's I have read inthis series. Extremely thuoght-provoking and tremendous insighgt into Tibet's history and the ongoing problems. Definitely should be read in chronological order.
Mariana
I enjoy reading Bone Mountain by Elliot Pattison about the Chinese slaughter of Tibetans and rape of the land. We, Americans, have it so easy. Imagine being a Buddhist monk saying mantra while being tortured.
HBalikov
Sep 05, 2011 HBalikov is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Another beautiful exploration of Tibet's Bhuddist underpinnings and the Chinese efforts to erradicate all traces of what they view as a philosophy incompatible with the New China.
Kathy
Nov 25, 2009 Kathy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
The mystery wasn't quite as compelling as the first in the series, but it's only been a day since I finished the book and I miss Shan already. Truly addictive.
Ruby
This author manages to find the most amazing settings, within the amazing Country of Tibet. I find his books so educational, in the most fun possible way.
  • Anarchy And Old Dogs (Dr. Siri Paiboun, #4)
  • When Red Is Black (Inspector Chen Cao #3)
  • The Last Six Million Seconds
  • Island of Exiles (Sugawara Akitada, #4)
  • White Sky, Black Ice (Nathan Active Mystery, #1)
  • Jade Lady Burning (Sergeants Sueño and Bascom #1)
  • A Corpse in the Koryo (Inspector O, #1)
  • The Firemaker (China Thrillers, #1)
Edgar Award winning Eliot Pattison has been described as a "writer of faraway mysteries," a label which is particularly apt for someone whose travel and interests span a million miles of global trekking, visiting every continent but Antarctica. An international lawyer by training, Pattison first combined his deep concerns for the people of Tibet with his interest in fiction writing in The Skull Ma...more
More about Eliot Pattison...
The Skull Mantra (Inspector Shan, #1) Bone Rattler: A Mystery of Colonial America (Duncan McCallum, #1) Water Touching Stone (Inspector Shan, #2) Beautiful Ghosts (Inspector Shan, #4) Prayer of the Dragon (Inspector Shan, #5)