Start by marking “Taking a Bath with the Dog and Other Things that Make Me Happy” as Want to Read:
Taking a Bath with the Dog and Other Things that Make Me Happy

Taking a Bath with the Dog and Other Things that Make Me Happy

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  33 reviews
From celebrated illustrator Scott Menchin comes a wise and witty meditation on the true secret to happiness.

"I miss your smile today, Sweet Pea. What would make you happy?"

What do you do when it seems as if nothing will make you happy? For one little girl, it’s a good time to take a survey, from subjects including a quick little rabbit (running around in a wheel), a baldin
Published June 12th 2007 by Candlewick Press

Be the first to ask a question about Taking a Bath with the Dog and Other Things that Make Me Happy

Yarima Morfin
"Taking a bath with the dog" by Scott Menchin is a fun, simple yet entertaining book. This book goes around full circle. It start with the mother asking the child why she is isn't smiling and ends with both the mother and child smiling. The little girls goes on a quest to find out what makes her and others happy. She asks animals and people what make them happy. After reading the book i was smiling it such a cute book. The author was clever in choosing which animals to use for example, the child ...more
Kelsey
Menchin's tale features a little girl that searches for happiness. She asks lots of different animals, objects and people what makes them happy. After hearing all of their responses, she finally realizes the many things that make her happy. She also realizes that her happiness makes her mother happy. Children will enjoy the repetition in the question "What makes you happy?" They will also identify with many of the activities in the exhaustive list of things that make the little girl happy. The b ...more
Sari
My 3 year old loves this book.
Amy
"Taking a Bath with the Dog and Other Things that Make Me Happy" is a picture book and was published in 2007. The book is geared towards the age group of children in N-P. Sweet Pea, as her mother calls her, is on the verge to see what makes people and animals happy. Her dog and other arange of animals and neighbors have many different answers. They all are illustrated in the book as what makes them happy, for example, the dog is pictures with a shower cap on and says that bathes make it happy.

I
Ashleigh De nicola
Dec 06, 2014 Ashleigh De nicola marked it as to-read
Sometimes we find it difficult to find happiness in our life. This is a good book to steer children in the right direction of not only being happy, but finding what makes them happy as well. Sweat Pea starts the story being upset with her mother asking why. She didn’t know so she asks people what makes them happy. With the help of everyone she asked, she makes her mom happy.
Brooke
This book went even better than I thought it would. There is a wide variety of ways to participate which is refreshing after making so many animals noises. And the kids love the silliness of the idea of taking a bath with the dog.
Laura Mcclanahan
Genre- Children's Picture Books

This cute text starts out with a girl crying (for reasons unknown) and then taking her mother's advice to find out what makes her happy. The plot is simplistic and to the point, but the innocence of the girl combined with the happy characters captures the reader. The book is similar in style to the famous "Are You My Mother?" with the main character asking the same simple phrase over and over again until she accomplishes her goal.

Though not noteworthy for use as a
Sophie
Jan 29, 2015 Sophie added it
I read this book with Daddy at the library last Sunday. I kept my sunglasses on!
Wendy Whitney
Talks about what makes you happy. Make mom happy though silly antics.
Gwen the Librarian
Sweet Pea is feeling sad today, so she sets out to find what makes other people happy. Taking a bath makes her dog happy. Counting tree rings makes the old man in the park happy. Shoes make the centipede happy. All of these things remind Sweet Pea that there are lots and lots of things that make her happy - especially taking a bath with the dog! What makes you happy?
Jake
Jul 07, 2008 Jake added it
Shelves: books-we-own
dude, when the word "dog" is in the book's title, the dog should be on more than just two pages of the book! This is a cute book about a girl trying to figure out what makes her happy by asking other people and animals what makes THEM happy . . . but some of us dog lovers were hoping it was ABOUT a girl and her dog, not just mentioning the dog in passing.
Mary
After reading this, we each named one thing that makes us happy. The preschoolers surprised me - while one gave "Iron Man" and another gave "princesses" as answers, many said things like "playing with my sister" or "playing baseball" or "my mom." A great book for "Feelings/Emotions" storytime!
Kathy Pollock
This is a super cute book I read to my Kindergartners. The level and length is perfect for early in the year. It has a repeating line-- What makes you happy? We used this as an authors craft book and followed it with a writing activity. Write about what makes you happy.
Alia
As little Sweet Pea surveys her community about what makes them happy she begins to come up with a list of her own. Simply told with complimentary illustrations, this is a good story-time book and is sure to prompt discussion about what makes the kids happy.
Dee
Sometimes the simple things are what makes us most happy, like listening to your favorite Bob Dylan cd, smelling coffee or hearing a good joke. Simple illustrations but oh so cute. It made me happy to read this book. What makes you happy?
April
This is a funny little book about a girl who is sad so she asked some friends, animal and human, what makes them happy. By the end she is happy too! The page with the centipeade who says shoes makes him happy never failed to get a laugh!
Yi-ching
A great book that will invite children to think about what is happiness and what makes them happy. It will also help children realize that there are simple things in daily life that make people happy.
Rita
A little girl who doesn't know what makes her happy walks around and asks other people,animals, and things what makes them happy. In the end she fianlly realizes what makes her happy.
Kristin
Oh, this book makes me so happy! I love picture books with the theme of "turning a frown upside down." This will be fun for Storytime.
Maren
Obviously intented for kids, but I appreciated the fact that it made me reflect on the little things that make me happy.
Beverly Kennett
Loved this book about figuring out who you are and what you like to do. Great for teaching!
Ms
Picked this up for a thirty month old. I'm always looking for books for the pre-school age.
Deborah
Practice narrative skills by having the kids at storytime name things that make them happy.
Joy
Sweet picture book about feelings - I love the strong lines and colors of the illustrations.
Kirei
Funny book about what makes people happy. You can use it to talk about what makes you happy.
Melissa
Joshua loved the pictures in this, and the sentences were short, and pictures were big.
Karen
So sweet - A great one to read when your little one is down.
↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝
What will make you happy, he's got a list a mile long.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
wow... 1 3 Dec 22, 2008 10:31PM
Scott Menchin is the author-illustrator of TAKING A BATH WITH THE DOG and OTHER THINGS THAT MAKE ME HAPPY, which received the Christopher Medal. He also illustrated SONG OF MIDDLE C by Alison McGhee and MAN GAVE NAMES TO ALL THE ANIMALS, an award winning children’s book based on a hit song by Bob Dylan. Scott Menchin lives in New York City.
More about Scott Menchin...
What if Everything Had Legs? Harry Goes to Dog School Grandma in Blue with Red Hat Goodnight Selfie Stretch