Start by marking “Taking a Bath with the Dog and Other Things that Make Me Happy” as Want to Read:
Taking a Bath with the Dog and Other Things that Make Me Happy

Taking a Bath with the Dog and Other Things that Make Me Happy

From celebrated illustrator Scott Menchin comes a wise and witty meditation on the true secret to happiness.

"I miss your smile today, Sweet Pea. What would make you happy?"

What do you do when it seems as if nothing will make you happy? For one little girl, it’s a good time to take a survey, from subjects including a quick little rabbit (running around in a wheel), a baldin
Published June 12th 2007 by Candlewick Press

Be the first to ask a question about Taking a Bath with the Dog and Other Things that Make Me Happy

Sari
Jul 14, 2011 Sari rated it it was amazing
My 3 year old loves this book.
Yarima Morfin
Sep 06, 2014 Yarima Morfin rated it it was amazing
"Taking a bath with the dog" by Scott Menchin is a fun, simple yet entertaining book. This book goes around full circle. It start with the mother asking the child why she is isn't smiling and ends with both the mother and child smiling. The little girls goes on a quest to find out what makes her and others happy. She asks animals and people what make them happy. After reading the book i was smiling it such a cute book. The author was clever in choosing which animals to use for example, the child ...more
Amy
Nov 04, 2011 Amy rated it it was amazing
"Taking a Bath with the Dog and Other Things that Make Me Happy" is a picture book and was published in 2007. The book is geared towards the age group of children in N-P. Sweet Pea, as her mother calls her, is on the verge to see what makes people and animals happy. Her dog and other arange of animals and neighbors have many different answers. They all are illustrated in the book as what makes them happy, for example, the dog is pictures with a shower cap on and says that bathes make it happy.

I
Laura Mcclanahan
Dec 02, 2013 Laura Mcclanahan rated it really liked it
Shelves: 544
Genre- Children's Picture Books

This cute text starts out with a girl crying (for reasons unknown) and then taking her mother's advice to find out what makes her happy. The plot is simplistic and to the point, but the innocence of the girl combined with the happy characters captures the reader. The book is similar in style to the famous "Are You My Mother?" with the main character asking the same simple phrase over and over again until she accomplishes her goal.

Though not noteworthy for use as a
Kelsey
Apr 25, 2014 Kelsey rated it it was amazing
Menchin's tale features a little girl that searches for happiness. She asks lots of different animals, objects and people what makes them happy. After hearing all of their responses, she finally realizes the many things that make her happy. She also realizes that her happiness makes her mother happy. Children will enjoy the repetition in the question "What makes you happy?" They will also identify with many of the activities in the exhaustive list of things that make the little girl happy. The b ...more
Gwen the Librarian
Aug 13, 2007 Gwen the Librarian rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Sweet Pea is feeling sad today, so she sets out to find what makes other people happy. Taking a bath makes her dog happy. Counting tree rings makes the old man in the park happy. Shoes make the centipede happy. All of these things remind Sweet Pea that there are lots and lots of things that make her happy - especially taking a bath with the dog! What makes you happy?
Jake
Jul 07, 2008 Jake added it
Shelves: books-we-own
dude, when the word "dog" is in the book's title, the dog should be on more than just two pages of the book! This is a cute book about a girl trying to figure out what makes her happy by asking other people and animals what makes THEM happy . . . but some of us dog lovers were hoping it was ABOUT a girl and her dog, not just mentioning the dog in passing.
Ashleigh De nicola
Dec 06, 2014 Ashleigh De nicola marked it as to-read
Sometimes we find it difficult to find happiness in our life. This is a good book to steer children in the right direction of not only being happy, but finding what makes them happy as well. Sweat Pea starts the story being upset with her mother asking why. She didn’t know so she asks people what makes them happy. With the help of everyone she asked, she makes her mom happy.
Alia
Nov 19, 2007 Alia rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
As little Sweet Pea surveys her community about what makes them happy she begins to come up with a list of her own. Simply told with complimentary illustrations, this is a good story-time book and is sure to prompt discussion about what makes the kids happy.
Alice
Oct 07, 2015 Alice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-75-stars
3.75 I can't say that I happiness means taking a bath with the dog (especially since i don't have one) but this is a cute book about taking a look at what makes other people happy and then deciding what makes you happy!
Katie Fitzgerald
Jul 13, 2012 Katie Fitzgerald rated it really liked it
Read at Preschool Story Time on 7/13/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read during Pre-K class visit on 9/28/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...
Yi-ching
Aug 14, 2007 Yi-ching rated it really liked it
A great book that will invite children to think about what is happiness and what makes them happy. It will also help children realize that there are simple things in daily life that make people happy.
Kathy Pollock
Sep 24, 2010 Kathy Pollock rated it really liked it
This is a super cute book I read to my Kindergartners. The level and length is perfect for early in the year. It has a repeating line-- What makes you happy? We used this as an authors craft book and followed it with a writing activity. Write about what makes you happy.
April
Apr 23, 2008 April rated it really liked it
This is a funny little book about a girl who is sad so she asked some friends, animal and human, what makes them happy. By the end she is happy too! The page with the centipeade who says shoes makes him happy never failed to get a laugh!
Brooke
Jan 28, 2015 Brooke rated it really liked it
This book went even better than I thought it would. There is a wide variety of ways to participate which is refreshing after making so many animals noises. And the kids love the silliness of the idea of taking a bath with the dog.
Mary
After reading this, we each named one thing that makes us happy. The preschoolers surprised me - while one gave "Iron Man" and another gave "princesses" as answers, many said things like "playing with my sister" or "playing baseball" or "my mom." A great book for "Feelings/Emotions" storytime!
Dee
Sep 11, 2010 Dee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Sometimes the simple things are what makes us most happy, like listening to your favorite Bob Dylan cd, smelling coffee or hearing a good joke. Simple illustrations but oh so cute. It made me happy to read this book. What makes you happy?
Melissa
Oct 01, 2008 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Joshua loved the pictures in this, and the sentences were short, and pictures were big.
Tara
Mar 08, 2016 Tara added it
Shelves: aubrey
Karen
Sep 14, 2012 Karen rated it it was amazing
So sweet - A great one to read when your little one is down.
Wendy Whitney
Talks about what makes you happy. Make mom happy though silly antics.
Lizzie
Aug 14, 2013 Lizzie rated it liked it
Shelves: preschool, feelings
A straight to the point read for a kid having a bad day.
Deborah
Mar 19, 2013 Deborah rated it really liked it
Practice narrative skills by having the kids at storytime name things that make them happy.
Kristin
Jun 17, 2009 Kristin rated it really liked it
Shelves: family-storytime
Oh, this book makes me so happy! I love picture books with the theme of "turning a frown upside down." This will be fun for Storytime.
Apr 15, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book makes me happy.
Maren
Jul 11, 2012 Maren rated it really liked it
Obviously intented for kids, but I appreciated the fact that it made me reflect on the little things that make me happy.
ABC
Jul 19, 2011 ABC rated it really liked it
Shelves: younger-kids
Funny book about what makes people happy. You can use it to talk about what makes you happy.
Joy
Mar 21, 2011 Joy rated it really liked it
Sweet picture book about feelings - I love the strong lines and colors of the illustrations.
Beverly Kennett
Feb 28, 2013 Beverly Kennett rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Loved this book about figuring out who you are and what you like to do. Great for teaching!
Rita
Nov 12, 2008 Rita rated it really liked it
A little girl who doesn't know what makes her happy walks around and asks other people,animals, and things what makes them happy. In the end she fianlly realizes what makes her happy.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
wow... 1 3 Dec 22, 2008 10:31PM
  • Red Cat, Blue Cat
  • Magic Box
  • How Do You Hug a Porcupine?
  • When No One is Watching
  • Hogwash! (Wilson, Karma)
  • Small Bunny's Blue Blanket
  • Are You A Horse?
  • One Special Day: A Story for Big Brothers and Sisters
  • A Girl and Her Gator
  • The OK Book
  • The Day Leo Said I Hate You!
Scott Menchin is the author-illustrator of TAKING A BATH WITH THE DOG and OTHER THINGS THAT MAKE ME HAPPY, which received the Christopher Medal. He also illustrated SONG OF MIDDLE C by Alison McGhee and MAN GAVE NAMES TO ALL THE ANIMALS, an award winning children’s book based on a hit song by Bob Dylan. Scott Menchin lives in New York City.
More about Scott Menchin...