Start by marking “Written in Blood” as Want to Read:
Written in Blood

Written in Blood

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  19 reviews
An army brat-turned-marine, he saw combat in Vietnam, and returned a decorated soldier. An avid reader, his dreams of being an acclaimed novelist came true. His desire to find love was fulfilled when he married brilliant executive Kathleen Atwater, the first female student accepted at Duke University's School of Engineering. The Petersons seemed the ideal academic couple- ...more
Published February 1st 2005 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Written in Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Written in Blood

♥ Marlene♥
who is who?
What is it with the name Peterson and murder?

I recall that when I read this book at around the same time there was another guy also called Peterson who also murdered his wife. But there was also another Peterson who murdered his young pregnant wife.

I am trying to find out if Fatal Vows is a book I might buy. If that book is about the same case.

Fatal Vows is about Drew Peterson who killed his wife Kathleen and Stacy.

Then you have a Scott Peterson who killed his wife Lacy. Lacy Stacy. S
Tracie
First - what is it about the last name Peterson and highly publicized cases of men accused of their wives' murders? Scott Peterson, Drew Peterson and Michael Peterson are all prime examples of men who have "erased" inconvenient wives as documented in Marilee Strong's book _Erased: Missing Women, Murdered Wives_. So much true crime documents the phenomenon of husband-on-wife murder, and Written in Blood is a good, solid entry in that particular niche. Author Diane Fanning does a good job laying o ...more
Eddie Snipes
If you are a true crime fan, Written in Blood is a good read. Diane Fanning has a very clear and thorough writing style.

Michael Peterson was a very successful novelist. As the drama of two suspicious deaths unfold, people begin wondering if Peterson’s ability to spin a story also applies to his real life dramas.

Peterson was a decorated Vietnam veteran, multi-published author, father, and respected member of the community. When his wife has a tragic accident, the pieces don’t add up, and soon a s
Seán
This is the only book I've ever purchased in a Duane Reade.

It caught my eye because I had recently watched Jean-Xavier de Lestrade's documentary "The Staircase," a fascinating investigation of the Michael Peterson case but told largely from the defense's point of view. DA Jim Hardin and his posse seemed like a collection of small-brained hacks (ADA Mike Nifong would go on to infamy in the 2006 Duke University rape case scandal), but de Lestrade didn't have much access to the prosecution or Kathl
Brendan
RJ McGill
Nov 01, 2007 RJ McGill rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those interested in: true crime, murder/mystery, criminal justice
Shelves: reviewed
There's More To The Story & It's Written IN Blood

Not once, during either of two frantic calls to Durham 9-11 did Michael Peterson mention the blood...and there was a lot of blood. During the early morning hours of December 9th, as Kathleen lay dying on the stairs, police and rescue personnel rush to the home on Cedar Street.

Connecting the complex sequence of dots that convinced a jury of his peers that Michael Peterson was indeed guilty of murder would have been the easy part, because the e
Nancy
I searched out this book after watching "The Staircase", a riveting legal documentary about Michael Peterson, a best-selling author who was tried for killing his successful engineer wife in Durham, North Carolina. The documentary left many unanswered questions about the trial and I was hungry for more information. "Written in Blood" was a thorough account of the lengthy trial and bizarre twists and turns of this fascinating case. It also reinforced that every crime leaves many victims in its wak ...more
Carrie
Ever since seeing the mini-series documentary about this murder case, I've been fascinated. There's probably not a whole lot of new things I will learn, but I have the end-of-summer true crime jones, so I'm reading it!

Ugh, this author has many true crime books under her belt, even though her writing is all over the damn place. I'm not a big grammar nerd, but there were so many glaring typoes, I wanted to mark the book up in red pen.
Sue
Aug 22, 2010 Sue rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
Story line was confusing. People are kidnapped and the main character, who is dating a police officer, chooses not to tell the authorities about key evidence. Instead she tells those people who even the most naive reader would know were the key suspects. DUH!!! A disappointing read.
Stephanie
How can I say it was disappointing? I had virtually NO expectations. But seriously is it too much to ask to have it not gag me? Pretentious flowery language, icky icky icky. Not well written at all. But what do you want for a one-night-stand?
Chad
A good book to be read in conjunction with "The Staircase" documentary by Lestrade. A quick read that is written like a novel. Worth the time for anyone interested in learning more about the Michael Peterson trial despite its slant.
Lynda
Since I live in Durham, NC, I followed this case in the newspaper and on Court TV. It was a big deal here! It was nice to get a different perspective from someone that didn't know Michael Peterson.
Violet
I am learning a lot from this book: in part, that if you want to kill more than one person, it's best to choose separate means of dispatching them, to avoid being caught.
Martha
Not particularly well-done book about the Michael Peterson murder trial. This is the Durham, N.C. murderer who killed his wife Kathleen.
Veronica
Really glad I didn't marry a guy with Peterson/Petersen a a last name...those wives seem not to fair too well. :-/
Abysmal writing, though the story itself was worth reading about to learn more about the case.
Cyndi
I bet this could be a good story but it is so poorly written
Jfk
One of Diane's great true crime stories.
Pam
Nov 10, 2007 Pam marked it as to-read
Shelves: true-crime
11/10 rec via bookmooch
Jennifer Pennock
Jennifer Pennock marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Martin Gibbs
Martin Gibbs marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Nina
Nina marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Patricia Atkinson
Patricia Atkinson marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Tammy Hill
Tammy Hill marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Susan Skinner
Susan Skinner marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Joann Atkinson
Joann Atkinson marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
  • Die, My Love: a True Story of Revenge, Murder, and Two Texas Sisters
  • Cries in the Desert
  • Before He Wakes: A True Story of Money, Marriage, Sex and Murder
  • Predator
  • Because You Loved Me
  • Dead And Buried: A Shocking Account of Rape, Torture, and Murder on the California Coast
  • Beyond All Reason: My Life With Susan Smith
  • Dead Reckoning
  • Cruel Deception
  • Little Lost Angel
  • The Dating Game Killer: The True Story of a TV Dating Show, a Violent Sociopath, and a Series of Brutal Murders
  • Dismembered
  • Invisible Darkness
  • Lethal Marriage: The Unspeakable Crimes of Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka
  • Fire Lover
  • Careless Whispers
  • Cellar of Horror
Mommy's Little Girl Through the Window Gone Forever The Pastor's Wife Baby Be Mine