Start by marking “Rain!” as Want to Read:
Rain!

Rain!

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  400 Ratings  ·  97 Reviews
One rainy day in the city, an eager little boy exclaims, “Rain!” Across town a grumpy man grumbles, “Rain.” In this endearing picture book, a rainy-day cityscape comes to life in vibrant, cut-paper-style artwork. The boy in his green frog hat splashes in puddles—“Hoppy, hoppy, hoppy!”—while the old man curses the “dang puddles.” Can the boy’s natural exuberance (and perhap ...more
Published March 5th 2013 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Rain!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rain!

I Want My Hat Back by Jon KlassenExtra Yarn by Mac BarnettThe Day the Crayons Quit by Drew DaywaltTuesday Tucks Me In by Luis Carlos MontalvánSophie's Squash by Pat Zietlow Miller
Favorite MODERN Picture Books
38th out of 303 books — 118 voters
The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack KeatsI Like Myself! by Karen BeaumontPlease, Baby, Please by Spike LeeAmazing Grace by Mary HoffmanMufaro's Beautiful Daughters by John Steptoe
African American Picture Books
40th out of 287 books — 85 voters

More lists with this book...

Tasha
Apr 18, 2013 Tasha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
The perfect book to lift your spirits on a soggy spring day! When an older man wakes up and sees the rain, he is not happy. But when a little boy looks out at the same rain, he’s delighted. The older man grumbles through his preparations to go outside, while the little boy puts on his green boots, green coat and frog hat still happy with the gloomy weather. The old man grumbles about puddles, while you can see the joy of the child. They end up in the same café, the old man still grumpy with his ...more
Alana Abbott
May 07, 2014 Alana Abbott rated it it was amazing
Scholastic sent Rain! with my child's book order as a replacement for a book I ordered that wasn't in stock. I have never been more delighted to not get my order. Rain! is the story of a little boy who loves the rain, an old man who hates it, and the way that a brief encounter (and a smile) can change the direction of a whole day. I don't frequently laugh out loud at the end of a picture book (Mo Willems's Elephant and Piggie books are the notable exceptions), but this one had me laugh with joy ...more
Erin
Dec 15, 2014 Erin rated it it was amazing
Rain is the parallel stories of a cranky old man and a happy little boy who both wake up to discover a rainy day. They react very differently to their circumstances, and when they eventually cross paths the boy's sunny attitude rubs off on the cranky old man and turns his day around.

There's not a ton of text in this book, making it suitable for a wide age range. Most of what's going on is interpreted through the drawings, and the facial expressions convey a wide variety of emotions. Our 3 year o
Samantha
Mar 30, 2013 Samantha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, rain
It's a rainy day in the city and the story follows a grumpy old man and a cute little boy who end up at the same cafe. Both moods can be infectious, but the little boy's cheeriness wins the old man over when he returns his hat and offers him a cookie.

Paint and collage illustrations give each page a lot of visual texture. The faces of the characters are so simple yet very well depicted.

It was quite fun to spend a moment in this rainstorm as seen through two perspectives.
Juliedrake05
Oct 14, 2014 Juliedrake05 rated it really liked it
Ashman,L.,& Robinson, C. (2013).RAIN! Boston: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

Starred Review Kirkus Reviews (December 2012)

Choice

In the story Rain, we are shown how both good and bad moods are contagious. Through dialogue and pictures, the reader is shown how two people react in very different ways to a rain storm. The grumpy old man and the young,happy boy walk through the city spreading their “moods”. Using different coloring, illustrator Christian Robinson does a great job showing the emotions
Maureen
Sep 03, 2014 Maureen rated it really liked it
This is just a fun little book shows the difference between how children and grown-ups approach rain. The little boy is able to pass his joy onto a older, grumpy man and the end result is so very cute. I need to read this when it is raining and I start to grumble.

The few words in the story allow the reader to embellish or minimize as wanted. The color illustrations are created by paint and collage with digital editing. Emotions are distinct and easy for the reader to understand especially with t
paula
Ooh I love this little guy! He looks just like an old-style Fisher Price Little People person, with his little round head and little dot eyes and perfect green slicker.
Roger Wilcoxen
Nov 15, 2014 Roger Wilcoxen rated it did not like it
This book had very little text in it and the story was very weak. I almost felt like they could have done without the text and this book would have been better. The art is even not the greatest. This is one of the children's books I didn't like.

This book screams to be rewritten. Using blooms level two, this fits perfectly. Still great to use for younger children and with this book being so short with text, I just see this as the perfect activity. simply put white strips of paper over the words,
Kristen
This makes a good mentor text for showing points of view. The actions of an old man and a little boy run parallel. The old man is grumpy about the rain, the puddles, everything. The little boy is excited about the rain, the puddles, everything. When the old man leaves his hat behind in the Rain or Shine Cafe, the little boy brings it to him.

"You!" the old man grumps.
The little boy puts the old man's hat on his own head and imitates him. "You!"

This works to shift the old man's mood. (I know some
Vernon Area Public Library KIDS
Jun 24, 2014 Vernon Area Public Library KIDS rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Ages 3-5
Shelves: picture-books
Welcome to a rainy day in the city! The weather seems to make the old man grumpy while it really seems to make the little boy “hoppy”. The different attitudes show how mood can really affect others and this book demonstrates that a small act kindness can go a long way. Even those children who can’t read will really enjoy telling the story through the incredible illustrations. This book won’t leave the reader saying rain rain go away.

Reviewed by Emily MacNiff, Youth Services Librarian, Vernon Ar
Cemeread
Apr 12, 2014 Cemeread rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, storytime
This story is really more about perspective than rain. Does it make you a grouch or do you revel in the downpour? Each perspective is shown on opposite pages of the spreads. Christian Robinson really showed how attitudes can be contagious with his illustrations. Somehow the grouchy old guy seems familiar and the child's exuberance jumps of the page. This story could be read with toddlers or preschoolers and presents an opportunity to talk abut feelings. An added bonus, it includes people of colo ...more
Bdalton
Mar 09, 2014 Bdalton rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A charming picture book about two city dwellers - one a grouchy old man - the other an enthusiastic young boy. This is the story about how a small encounter can make a big difference in someone's outlook. Sometimes that joy lasts for only a moment and other times it is truly transforming. The simple, bright illustrations convey the mood.

While I think this book can and will be used in storytimes, it is a good book to recommend to religious educators and for parents. It easily lends itself to long
Siskiyou-Suzy
Sometimes I read several children's book in a row and start to worry that I'm becoming momentarily jaded because most of them feel so blah.

Rain! assured me that the problem is not me but the books themselves. Because Rain! put a huge smile on me face. It is so so sweet. It's in comic-book style, as in dialogue-only. That makes it harder to read aloud, but I love it so much, I'll forgive that.

Rain! follows a young boy and an older man throughout the rainy city. The old man hates the rain and is g
Barbara
Never has it been clearer that one's attitude affects how he/she reacts to the world around him/her. An exceptionally grouchy man looks out his apartment window and is annoyed at the inconvenience caused by the rain he sees faling from the sky. Meanwhile, an exuberant boy is delighted at the precipation. While both head off for the same destination from different directions, readers will note how differently they react to the simple things that surround them. Once they reach the same cafe, it's ...more
Katie Logonauts
I loved this heartwarming little story that contrasts the perspectives of a child and his/her elderly neighbor on a rainy day. For me, the interaction between these two far outstrips the similar scenes in The Farmer and the Clown. I also celebrate the fact that this is a story featuring a diverse cast of characters, including the child and many background neighbors too.

Reviewed: http://www.thelogonauts.com/2015/01/IMWAYR2.html
Vicki
Apr 18, 2014 Vicki rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture, pre-school
This is a very cute book with great pictures that really help to tell the story. However I am not sure who the audience for this book is. With simple text, you are dependent on the pictures to tell the story. For a group reading of preschoolers, you almost have to explore what the pictures are saying as well as the text. Perhaps better used for one on one purposes. I actually heard the adults at storytime snickering rather than the children!
Amy Adams
Jun 11, 2014 Amy Adams rated it it was amazing
I really liked this one! The illustrations, mostly collage, are really cute and fun. There's an old grumpy guy and a young kid dressed like a frog. A chance encounter helps the grumpy gus get rid of his blues. There are just a few words, but the pictures really lend themselves to storytelling. This is a great interactive book where the adult can ask the kid what's going on.
Diane
Jul 17, 2014 Diane rated it liked it
Attitude is everything. When the man sees rain, it starts a string of complaints (blasted overcoat, dang puddle, etc.). When the boy sees rain, it starts a day of imagination and fun. (It's raining frogs and pollywogs! Ribbit!) But an act of kindness (as well as a frog hat) changes the man's attitude. The events of life are tempered by how we engage with the world.
Erica
A great simple book for younger children! It's raining, the old man is very unhappy about the rain, the little boy rejoices about the rain. The old man isn't happy about having to get ready to go out in the rain, and he expresses his unhappiness to almost everyone he encounters. The little boy in his cute frog hat, green jacket and green boots thinks the rain is great! He's happy and isn't afraid to let everyone know that it's a great day. At a cafe, the little boy and the old man have a chance ...more
Angie
Apr 27, 2015 Angie rated it liked it
Synopsis: "One rainy day in the city, an eager little boy exclaims, “Rain!” Across town a grumpy man grumbles, “Rain.” In this endearing picture book, a rainy-day cityscape comes to life in vibrant, cut-paper-style artwork. The boy in his green frog hat splashes in puddles—“Hoppy, hoppy, hoppy!”—while the old man curses the “dang puddles.” Can the boy’s natural exuberance (and perhaps a cookie) cheer up the grouchy gentleman and turn the day around?"

My Review: This is a cute book that is nearly
Susan
Jul 16, 2013 Susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, first-read
I loved this book! The story, the pictures, the message, all of it. I think it is what a children's book should be - easy to understand, yet full of deeper meaning when you think about it.

The story itself has very few words, and the pictures do a great job of telling the story. And what a delightful story! An old man is grumpy about the rain, a little boy is happy about the rain. They influence everyone around them, spreading crabbiness or cheer. So what happens when they, quite literally, bump
Leanne Hooper
May 05, 2014 Leanne Hooper rated it really liked it
Amitha
Feb 20, 2014 Amitha rated it it was amazing
What a gorgeous book! I spotted this on someone’s website (unfortunately I lost the link), and just had to request it from the library... (read the rest on my blog)
Jill
Jan 10, 2014 Jill rated it it was amazing
Really cute book about two totally different reactions upon discovering it's raining outside and how your attitude affects those around you. (You have to look at the pictures to see this!) Also, how the bad mood of one person can destroy the good mood of another. But, how the good mood of one person can brighten the bad mood of another. Great example of the ECRR practice "talk." This book has talking in it, but you can also talk about the two points above with whomever you read it to.

This was o
Mary
Apr 03, 2014 Mary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I adore this picture book. An adorable child cheers up a grumpy old man on a rainy day. Even better, that child is a child of color, so non-white kids can see themselves in a positive, happy story. I also like the theme of intergenerational friendship.
Eric
Oct 21, 2014 Eric rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
Rain! is a great read-aloud for Kindergarten and First grade.....the rug-rats couldn't stop laughing! It's important to get the old grouch's voice just right though:)Great for a PMI lesson demonstrating thinking skills...
Storyteller John Weaver
Jun 08, 2013 Storyteller John Weaver rated it it was amazing
Herein lays the chronicle of a run-in between a happy young boy & a grumpy old man. Which mood will win out?

Christian Robinson's artwork, a mix of collage and paint, is beautiful, evoking in many ways the work of Ezra Jack Keats. As I do with Keats's work, I find myself staring at each image, studying the construction of the many wonderful layers.

When you read this book with a child, take your time and discuss the details--not just of the art, but of the attitudes of the characters, and ho
Amanda Coppedge
Mar 08, 2014 Amanda Coppedge rated it really liked it
3.5. For story time, I wish there were a few more transitions in the pictures. I think children will love acting out the emotions and actions in the story and talking about feelings and perspective.
Michelle
Dec 02, 2014 Michelle rated it really liked it
Life is all about your outlook. Minimal text, expressive illustrations, too small a format to work for a big PS ST. Not sure if the kids will get or enjoy as much as adults will.
Marta
Feb 12, 2015 Marta rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Amazing illustrations and a great read-aloud using nothing but dialog so you can entertain with many different character voices and personalities!
  • How to Be a Cat
  • Big Snow
  • Tap Tap Boom Boom
  • How To
  • Have You Seen My New Blue Socks?
  • Blue on Blue
  • One Gorilla
  • Oliver and His Alligator
  • Inside Outside
  • Water in the Park: A Book About Water and the Times of the Day
Linda Ashman's children's books have been named to the "best of the year" lists of the New York Times, Parenting Magazine, Child Magazine, New York Public Library, the Bank Street College of Education, the IRA/CBC and more. She is also the author of The Nuts and Bolts Guide to Writing Picture Books .

Linda lives in Chapel Hill, North Carolina with her husband, Jack Hicks, their son Jackson, and
More about Linda Ashman...