Start by marking “The Look” as Want to Read:
The Look

The Look

3.8  ·  Rating Details ·  1,337 Ratings  ·  225 Reviews
Ted doesn't think of herself as glamorous. But her gorgeous sister Ava is. So when Ted seems to get spotted by a model agency, at the same time that Ava is diagnosed with cancer, things have clearly gone very wrong. Ted isn't interested in modelling, but Ava needs something to take her mind off her forthcoming treatment, and Ted's adventures in fashion might just be it. Bu ...more
Published March 1st 2013 by Scholastic (first published March 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Look, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Look

Экранизация: нет
Жанр: современный роман, повседневность
POV: от первого лица
Любовная линия: практически нет
Отличительные черты: практически отсутствуют любовная линия, смертельная болезнь, модельный бизнес
Рекомендовано к прочтению, если вам нравятся: шоу "Топ-модель по американски", фильм "В активном поиске"

РЕЦЕНЗИЯ:
Приятно, когда от книжки, от которой ничего не ожидал и начала читать совершенно случайно, остаются приятные впечатления. «Обл
Arushi
I read this book last year. I do not like chick-lits so I should have known better than to pick this one. Thankfully, I had borrowed it from the library, so I did not have to regret wasting money on it.

From the synopsis at the back, I was expecting it to be a light read and something I could complete in an hour or so. However, it was the author's attempt at dealing with issues such as cancer, the fashion industry, finance problems and body image. In my opinion, the author did not succeed at th
Cora ☕ Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Family, fashion, love, tragedy, brave.

This book made me laugh and it made me cry. Often at the same time.

The Look masterfully weaves the world of fashion and modelling with high-school and the devastating effects of cancer on one so young. It's one hell of a read.

I felt a better person when I finished The Look, as though I myself had grown with the characters.

Ted is one hell of a great sister, an all round awesome girl. She suffers a little at school, but doesn't everyone? I only with t
Luna
May 03, 2012 Luna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uk-authors
The synopsis and cover are misleading. I was expecting this sugar-sweet story with a little drama and a happy yet predictable ending. That’s not at all what I got. Instead we have a very well thought out story focusing on Ted and her family with the modelling being about half of the overall package.

At times I found Ted’s continued insistence that she was ugly grating, particularly after the modelling took off but I did warm to her in the end. Ava is wonderful, I really worried about her as the c
Mery
May 25, 2012 Mery rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: punya
Bagaimana jika selama lima belas tahun dirimu yang kamu tahu adalah kamu jangkung (hampir 185senti), kurus, dan punya wajah bundar. Teman-teman memanggilmu Raksasa. Bahkan guru favoritmu menganggapmu cowok karena posturmu itu. Itulah yang Ted Troud rasakan. Di samping fisiknya yang berlebihan, dia punya kakak yang cantik dengan tubuh aduhai, bukan tubuh aduh duh seperti dirinya.

Makanya pas Simon yang mengaku pencari model mendatanginya alih-alih, Ava, kakaknya, Ted kalang kabut. Dia menduga kala
Vivian
Mar 20, 2017 Vivian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fijn boek ❤ Niet heel erg bijzonder, maar wel een mooi, sfeervol verhaal dat lekker leest en over goeie thema's gaat. Beetje een mix tussen My Sister's Keeper en America's Next Top Model. Uitgebreide recensie volgt nog!
Vicky (A Backpack Full of Adventures)
Original review: http://www.booksbiscuitsandtea.com/2012/03/review-look-sophia-bennett.html

The Look is without a doubt one of those books that will make you roar with laughter one minute, shed a few tears the next but most importantly, it will make you think and re-evaluate your life. I loved everything about it, from the characters and the plot to Bennett's writing style - just brilliant.

Writing from a 15-year old girl's point of view is quite risky and and it can go horribly wrong since many t
Beverley
Feb 17, 2012 Beverley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED The Look and I would encourage all teenage girls to get it when it comes out. I think it is perfect for Sophia’s older teenage fans (like me!) and is a wonderful step-up from the Threads books. Sophia Bennett has once again conjured up a beautifully glamorous masterpiece, full of dreams, hopes and heartbreak. And yes, it does live up to the bright pink page edges!

To see the full review follow this link:
Bhavya
Aug 05, 2015 Bhavya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cool, fun, light summer read.
Snuggles  with Rainbows
Do not be fooled by the Synopsis folks. There are many layers to this book that the small plot summary doesn’t cover. Naturally I don’t expect the synopsis to give it all away, but I do want it to convey accurately a glimpse of what the reader is about to get herself into. This was not the case with this book.

Like many, I read the brief summary of the story, saw the gorgeous cover, and very greedily requested it. It looks and feels like chick lit and I love chick lit…so what could wrong? I imagi
Ifnur Hikmah
Jul 25, 2013 Ifnur Hikmah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Prolog: Gue sudah lama tertarik ingin membaca novel ini. Simply because the main idea: model. Apalagi setelah membaca sinopsisnya membuat gue semakin penasaran. Akhirnya ketemu novel ini di sale Mizan di Gramedia GI. 20 ribu saja hehe.
The Look bercerita tentang Edwina ‘Ted’ Trout, remaja 15 tahun yang mendadak hidup pas-pasan karena ayahnya dipecat jadi dosen dan suatu hari mengamen bersama kakaknya, Ava, si cantik yang mirip Elizabeth Taylor. Saat mengamen itu Ted disamperin oleh Simon yang me
Megan
The Look was one book I didn't plan on reading, despite the fact that it was getting quite a few great reviews from readers. At first glance, The Look gives the illusion of a short, sweet and fun read - nothing out of the ordinary. However, I found out soon enough that Sophia Bennett is no ordinary writer. Reading this will make you laugh, cry, and fall in love completely with the entire cast of characters.

Edwina "Ted" Trout isn't made of model material. Too tall, too skinny, and without much of
Estelle
Feb 21, 2013 Estelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review originally posted on Rather Be Reading Blog

As the younger sister, Ted has a tendency to follow Ava’s lead — no matter how crazy her ideas are. Even in the midst of the changes their family has overcome (their dad losing their job and them moving into a new, smaller home), Ava can still convince Ted to jingle a tambourine on the street in hopes of scoring some cash.

Instead, they get a melted piece of Starburst and a business card from a modeling scout… interested in Ted.

Now, when I first s
Lucy
Jan 31, 2012 Lucy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lucy by: Received from publisher
This review was originally posted at link: ChooseYA

The Look is one of those books that will either work well, or not work at all. Combining something many teenage girls dream about like modelling with a nightmare of cancer is a risk. So full credit to Sophia Bennett for pulling it off.

When Ted (Edwina) Trout is spotted by a modelling agency, she is certain it is a joke. Her sister, Ava, is the beautiful one after all. However, after her sister's shock diagnosis of cancer and with Ava's encourage
Jess - Books Hunters Blog
Inizialmente questo libro mi sembrava una specie di copia e incolla. Qualcosa di già visto, la solita storia di ragazze che vogliono diventare modelle e si tormentano fra diete e vestitini succinti. Fortunatamente, anche se dopo parecchi capitoli di attesa, sono riuscita a riscoprire il vero spirito della storia, il messaggio celato dietro i lustrini e le grandi marche della moda, dietro i soldi e dietro la carriera.
Questa è principalmente la classica storia di due sorelle. Una bella, l’altra p
Sandra
The book I just finished reading is called “The Look”. The author of this book is Sophia Bennett. When I started reading it I didn’t really get the point but then when I got to the interesting stuff I couldn’t put the book down, in every class when I was done with all my work I would get my book out and start reading it. It’s about a girl named Ted or Edwina, everyone thinks that she is a boy but actually she’s not. She feels like she is being judged and nobody want’s to be friends with her. So ...more
Jay Uppal
Apr 16, 2012 Jay Uppal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book I won through Goodreads so thanks to Goodeads for this and it was a pretty amazing book. I just spent the whole day reading through it. It is a Teen book but it isn't your typical YA read as it has no magic or supernatural parts that you find in all YA books, it's more realistic and this along with the authors Excellent writing skills makes this book well worth a read and totally on par with any YA book I have ever read.

The story follows 15 year old Ted (Edwina) who has grown up i
Kirsty (overflowing library)
I must admit that I wasn't convinced that I would like this book. I have started a new thing where I read whatever I'm sent for review and I give up with it as soon as I'm bored, irritated or just don't care enough. I fully expected it to happen with book but I actually really enjoyed it and like it so much I'll be adding my copy to my own collection rather than sending it to be rehomed.

The funny thing is though I'm not sure I can put my finger on what I liked the most about it. For me this book
Josie
Jun 09, 2015 Josie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, ebook
Okay, this was predictable -- girl gets scouted and faces dilemma over whether she should go off and model, or be there for her sister who has cancer -- but it was wonderfully written. Ted was a brilliant MC -- gawky, self-deprecating, and completely clueless when it came to fashion. I thought it was awesome that she didn't just flop around hopelessly but proactively went out and studied magazines and books in order to learn more about the fashion/modelling industry. I thought it was even more a ...more
Kylani Campbell
I believe that the novel, The Look , by Sophia Bennett, was an okay book. When I saw the cover of the book, I thought that it'd be a really cool story. As I read the synopsis, I was even more hyped to begin the book because I thought it'd be amazing - I was kind of wrong. In the beginning, it was a bit confusing because it started with the two sisters, Ted and Ava Trout, playing instruments on the sidewalk for money. But, as I continued to read the story, it started to make sense. In my opinion ...more
Barbara
Samantha
Aug 23, 2014 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bibliotheek
Dit is zo'n boek waar je totaal niet in hoeft te komen. Het verhaal trekt je direct mee en je wilt gewoon weten hoe het verder gaat!

In 'The Look' draait het om Ted. Ted is een 15-jarig meisje, met een doorlopende wenkbrauw en een kapsel dat lijkt op een vogelnestje. Haar zus, Ava, daarentegen is beeldschoon. Wanneer Ted op een zaterdag met Ava op pad is, wordt ze wonder boven wonder gescout door een modellenbureau.
Wanneer ze eindelijk beseft dat dit de kans van haar leven is, blijkt haar zus e
Megan
Jun 22, 2013 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elsa Vargas
Sad but amazing. Not all the books have such an amazing story and give you a sad feeling at the same time. This book did. It took me one day to finish reading it. Amazing and sad that every time I would end a chapter, I couldn’t stop. I needed to know what would happen next. The author was so descriptive, and gave so many details. You felt like you were there when everything was happening. Every sad moment in the book I cried, and every exciting moment I smiled. Everything in the book was perfec ...more
Melanie
Nov 07, 2016 Melanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
My summary:
Two sisters, Ted and Ava, living polar opposite worlds, find themselves growing closer together as something slowly tears the other apart, cancer. As Ava quickly finds herself slipping away, she thrusts her hand out to Ted to keep herself level, and attempts to get a little glimpse of her world, or what was supposed to be her world as it gets farther out of her reach. Ted, willing to do anything for Ava, gets a spontaneous opportunity that leads her to live the life that was meant for
Bella Bozied
Sep 21, 2015 Bella Bozied rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The look is a great book that has excitement, love, sisterhood and courage. I love this book so much because Sophia Bennett really captures real sister hood and what it is like to do what ever for your sister (that still dose not mean getting along all the time though) The book is about how Ted turns into a model but it is really about her relationship with her sister, Ava, and how she gets confidence and turns into her self. First she is a girl in high school who gets made fun of due to her kno ...more
Lana Noval
Nov 13, 2015 Lana Noval rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Look by Sophia Bennett is about two sisters, Ava and Ted. Ted was considered the “tall freak” and Ava had always been the pretty one. However, when Ava is diagnosed with cancer, all labels go out the window. From the moment she was diagnosed, everything started going wrong. Their dad lost their job and their mom is working way too hard, just to provide food and shelter. The Look delivers a message for impressionable young people who live in a perfectionist's world.

Chloe
Oct 08, 2016 Chloe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SPOILERS!!!

The Look, by Sophia Bennett, perfectly captured lots of emotions in it. sad, angry, mad, happy and exciting we're just some of the few. Most heriones in stories have superpowers or do something fantastic but in this book Ted and Ava we're eachothers and their own heros. This book really gave 'the look' into modelling for teenagers.
Justine
Jul 16, 2016 Justine rated it liked it
I bought this book purely for the cover! It's magical. And bonus the story is about modelling which is something I love. I'm a die hard ANTM fan (until sadly Tyra got too crazy and the show was cancelled lol or that's how I feel it went down). I thought like a lot of others this would be a short sweet book but I was surprised it did have some depth. It was a fine read.
Melody Jane
Sep 03, 2016 Melody Jane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was interesting, I got this book last year but decided reading it this January, it reminded me so much of someone i used to know.. and i love this book, the way the main character becomes something her sister always wanted to be, the two sisters looking after each other, the way the plot went was amazing, and blew me away.
Nine F book lovers: A review 1 2 Mar 30, 2014 06:37PM
  • How to Keep a Boy as a Pet (Circe Shaw, #1)
  • Emma Hearts LA (Hearts Series, #2)
  • Kiss, Date, Love, Hate
  • A Christmas to Remember
  • Kidnap in the Caribbean (Laura Marlin Mysteries, #2)
  • Dear Dylan
  • Heart-Shaped Bruise
  • My Secret Rockstar Boyfriend
  • Rockoholic
  • Lia's Guide to Winning the Lottery
  • Poison Heart
  • Saving Daisy
  • griEVE
  • Dark Parallel (The Joshua Files, #4)
  • The Truth about Celia Frost
  • Semusim, dan Semusim Lagi
  • Under My Skin
  • Wickham Hall: Part Three - Sparks Fly
2981932
My name’s Sophia, and I write about girls discovering their inner power. Sometimes they’re fashion designers, sometimes they’re would-be pop stars and sometimes they’re spies. They’re always a lot braver than they know, and I love it when they finally figure that out.

Since I won the Times/Chicken House competition in 2009 my books have been published around the world, from Germany to Brazil and Ja
More about Sophia Bennett...

“I think I'm supposed to "take a sad song and make it better," but that's beyond my musical ability” 15 likes
“It's funny how you can share a flat with someone and still miss them so much.” 5 likes