Start by marking “The Third Thousand Years” as Want to Read:
The Third Thousand Years

The Third Thousand Years

The Third Thousand Years were ten turbulent centuries filled with pathos and drama. This is the era of the amazing life of Moses, and the flood of miracles that exceeded any other epic until the ministry of Jesus Christ. He was followed by Joshua, the great Ephraimite general who conquered Palestine, the prophets and judges Gideon, Deborah, Samson, Ruth, Eli, Samuel and ...more
Published June 7th 1964 by Bookcraft (first published June 1964)

To ask other readers questions about The Third Thousand Years, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Third Thousand Years

Dave
Mar 27, 2012 Dave rated it it was amazing
WOW!!! What a book! I really liked it. Normally, you'd think that something that is a commentary on the Old Testament to be boring and slow. This was great! I couldn't stop reading it. It takes you from the time of Abraham through Moses leading the Children of Israel out of Egypt all of the way through the Judges and to the time of King Saul.

Now, I need to go and find some more Skousen books to read.
Teri Anderson
Jun 25, 2016 Teri Anderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
We used this series of manuals as a supplement to our Old Testament studies this year in our homeschool. They were really helpful in giving us the historical background to the ancient world. I loved the story about the guy who was swallowed by a whale in more modern times and lived to tell the tale... that really helped us to understand what it may have been like for Jonah. Worthwhile series overall.
Rebecca
Apr 02, 2011 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
I wish there were different categories for rating things...genres don't always translate over. But, that said, I LOVED this book. It literally made the Old Testament come to life for me. I understand so much more now and feel connected in a way I didn't think possible. Can't wait to read the other books he's written on this text.
Lance
Jul 31, 2008 Lance rated it really liked it
The second work by Skousen that I read was his study of the Old Testament, of which this is the second volume. This volume gets through 2 Samuel or 1 Chronicles. Like Hidden Treasures from the Book of Mormon, he treats his own theories as fact and, like the former work, it gets four stars.
Ginger
Mar 02, 2010 Ginger rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful resource for reading along with the Old Testament. It expands on the characters, setting, culture, history, and geography of the era. It's helping me understand more than ever before and makes me love the Old Testament even more.
Sheryl
Mar 03, 2008 Sheryl rated it it was amazing
Cleon Skousen can make Accounting interesting. (I hate numbers.) I would listen to anything he said. He can take the driest subject and bring it to life. I learned to love the Old Testament through Cleon's eyes.
Susan
Jul 07, 2010 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds-nonfiction
Although I don't agree with a few of the things Skousen says, these books really help me understand the Old Testament.
Larene
Jun 23, 2010 Larene rated it liked it
I teach the 16-18 yr old sunday school class and this series has been a huge help to me in answering questions and understanding background info
Kim
Jul 05, 2012 Kim rated it it was amazing
I enjoy reading his books and following the lives of these historical names in the Bible. Now on the the next one.
Gregory
Jul 20, 2014 Gregory rated it it was amazing
a great new testament commentary. it really brings the characters to life in an easy to read novel type format. I couldn't put this book down, I lived it.
Colleen O'grady
A fabulous and well-written book by one of our Prohpets. forgiveness is available even to the worst sinner if one seeks the Lord and repents
Firefly
Firefly rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2008
Mary Mccary
Mary Mccary rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2014
Kierstin
Kierstin rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2010
D Jones
D Jones rated it it was ok
Jan 23, 2015
Steven
Steven rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2011
Kristi Gatti
Kristi Gatti rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2012
Steven
Steven rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2014
Sharon
Sharon rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2010
Troy Wagstaff
Troy Wagstaff rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2015
Patty
Patty rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2016
Craig
Craig rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2009
Grruser
Grruser rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2016
Dave
Dave rated it it was amazing
Dec 14, 2014
Anita Choudhary
Anita Choudhary rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2014
J Newman
J Newman rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2012
Josh
Josh rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2016
Wendy
Wendy rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2011
Gail
Gail rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2016
Joanne
Joanne rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2010
  • The Mortal Messiah: From Bethlehem to Calvary, Book 2
  • Lehi in the Desert, The World of the Jaredites, There Were Jaredites (The Collected Works of Hugh Nibley, Volume 5)
  • Doctrines of Salvation Vol. II
  • Prophecy, Key to the Future
  • History of the Church (Boxed Set)
  • Discourses of Brigham Young: Second President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
  • Church History In The Fullness Of Times: Religion 341 343: The History Of The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints (32502)
  • The Great Apostasy
  • The Coming of the Lord
  • On Earth As It Is In Heaven
W. Cleon Skousen (1913-2006) was a popular teacher, lecturer and author in the United States for over 40 years. Born in Raymond, Alberta, Canada on January 20, 1913, Dr. Skousen’s growing up years were spent in Canada, Mexico, and California.

At age 17 he was called to serve a two-year, LDS mission to Great Britain for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He later attended college at th
More about W. Cleon Skousen...