Start by marking “The Granddaughter Necklace” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Granddaughter Neck...

Sharon Dennis Wyeth

The Granddaughter Necklace

A mother shares with her daughter stories of the generations of women in their family as each individual has passed along the tales and a glittering necklace to her own daughter. Includes notes on the author's exploration of her ancestry.
Paperback
Published January 1st 2013 by Arthur A. Levine Books

To ask other readers questions about The Granddaughter Necklace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Granddaughter Necklace

paula
Listen, I will viciously elbow anybody who tries to stand ahead of me in the line to praise and admire every stroke of Bagram Ibatoulline's brush - but the cover of this book is composed in such a way that it looks like that little girl is about to get strangled.

It's an awfully nice story, though!
Gabrielle Blockton
Date: October 14th, 2014

Author: Sharon Dennis Wyeth; Illustrated by Bagram Ibatoulline

Title: The Granddaughter Necklace

Plot: Sharon, a young mother tells the story of how her family heirloom was passed down as well as the story of each woman in her family tree.

Setting: Various locations; Ireland and the Americas (historic and present-day)

Characters: Frances, Evon, Mildred, Cordelia, Sallie, Sharon, Georgia

Point-of-Views: Third-Person; First-Person

Theme: Family, ancestry, heritage

Style: Illustra
Kelly
Apr 09, 2014 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Granddaughter Necklace, written by Sharon Dennis Wyeth and illustrated by Bagram Ibatoulline, is a nominee for the 14-15 South Carolina Picture Book Award.

The Granddaughter Necklace is a moving story that highlights the importance of honoring one's history and lineage. The necklace that moves this story along was passed down from generation to generation, from mother to daughter. Readers see its journey and learn a little about the women who wore it.

The author's note at the end of the book
Emily St.Germain
Nov 29, 2015 Emily St.Germain rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wow-books
'The Granddaughter Necklace' is a story about a necklace that has been passed down through generations. The author has collected the stories from her family about the history of the necklace. She introduces her ancestors and tells a story about how the necklace was passed to the next daughter.

This book could be used to teach children about family generations and inspire them to ask their parents to tell them about their own family history. Teachers could assign a project for students to research
Salerno Christine
Jun 09, 2014 Salerno Christine rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful story of a family's background. Sharon tells the story of her mother, her grandmother, her great-grandmother and her great-great grandmother. I enjoyed this multicultural story because it discusses a mixed-race family that began many years earlier. The story exposes readers to the far-away mountains and the Irish countryside. The woman telling the story discusses the importance of knowing who your elders were and why their stories hold a family together. The story is beautifu ...more
Dorlissa
Apr 25, 2014 Dorlissa rated it it was amazing
This is a great book by Sharon Dennis Wyeth in which the author tells the story of her family through the women of it and a necklace that they had down to their daughter's when the think that it is time. Her family is primarily African-American but it starts and ends with her Irish ancestress.
From a text-to-self point of view I could relate to this book because there are several things in my family that have been handed down through the generations at important times. Including a wedding band se
Marcie
This could be used as a mentor text for family history units. As always I love Bagram Ibatoulline's luminous illustrations. It's great for student's to realize how multicultural most of us will find our make up. Don't know that I'd suggest DNA testing, but glad it led Wyeth to write this.
ReadingWench
I liked the story, history and illustrations in this book.

AR 3.7
Taneka
I happen to love books that deal with genealogy and family heritage. This book reminds me of a ring that my mother owned that belonged to her mother and her mother before that. I don't think it is a real diamond, but no matter what it is, it has historical significance. This story traces a family line that comes from Ireland and is connected by a necklace that is passed down from mother to daughter. It is called the Granddaughter Necklace "...Because everyone who wears it is somebody's granddaug ...more
Barbara
Just as family stories are passed down from one generation to the next, a glittering beaded necklace is passed down. Drawing from her own family history, the author describes how the necklace came to be in her possession, given to her by her mother Evon, and how she passes it on to her daughter Georgia. Because the story covers seven different generations, there's a lot of history represented by those beads. Each passing down ceremony receives special attention albeit in a brief but effective fa ...more
Brian Rock
Apr 15, 2013 Brian Rock rated it really liked it
Although a story about someone else’s family history may not sound like compelling reading, the magic of this story is in the telling. Each woman in this story receives the granddaughter necklace at a point early in her life when she feels vulnerable or anxious or uncertain. The necklace acts as a reassurance to let the troubled child know that she is not alone; like a bead on a necklace, she (and all of us) is part of an endless chain that stretches back through time.

The courage and the strengt
Serina
Jan 22, 2014 Serina rated it liked it
It would definitely appeal to African-American children to have a black person on the cover that actually looks pretty. I think this would be more suited towards the second or third graders. Normally with historical books they have too much information, however this one goes back in time nicely. Each generation is like a mini story that you can consider one by one and not be overwhelmed by it. Tells story of necklace handed down generation by generation. What's nice is that it goes back all the ...more
Jan 02, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author weaves a story about a necklace that is handed down through generations of daughters. The illustrations are rich and informative and the story shows the importance of family, love, and tradition. If I were reading this book to a group of students, I might begin with a list of grandmothers/granddaughters along with a brief note about when/where each lived just to help students make more connections.
Ruth
May 17, 2013 Ruth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: plnnj-review
This is a sentimental story that follows a necklace as it is passed down over many generations from mother to daughter. Working backwards through the generations, the author presents a brief glimpse at each woman’s life and what was happening at the time that the necklace was passed down. It is a remarkable journey that captures the spirit of the women as well as the time and place in which they lived. Equally interesting is the interracial element that is not mentioned in the story, but is evid ...more
Linda Lipko
This is a delightful tale of a special necklace handed down from one generation to the other. Each story is accompanied by stunningly beautiful illustrations of Bagram Ibatoulline.
Melle
A beautiful book about love across generations as shown through the passing of a family heirloom. A great pick for budding genealogists.
hannah
A sweet storytelling device and really fascinating family history. I would love to gift this to little mixed girls everywhere.
Linda
Jan 27, 2013 Linda rated it really liked it
It’s great to hear some of someone’s family history, and this new book is a good beginning book for 2013. This will make a terrific mentory text for a project. Wyeth tells about a family’s heirloom passed down through generations from mother to daughter. She tells a little about the life of each one, and page after page, the necklace travels on. In the backmatter at the end, there is some information abut Wyeth’s real family, that tells of her thinking that she originally comes from Africa, only ...more
Amanda
Apr 19, 2016 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: prek
A wonderful story with beautiful illustrations.
Debby Baumgartner
The story of how a necklace was passed from one mother to a daughter down thru the ages.
Elizabeth
reviewed February, 2014
Christina
Nov 01, 2013 Christina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
An African American Woman traces her maternal family history through the gift of a necklace that is handed down from generation to generation. My eight year old was enchanted by the story and I loved talking about family history to her in this way. In the back the author talks about being in a play where they introduced themselves by using an ancestors name. She talked about feeling great love, pride and connection to the women in her family, and that sense of unity is definitely conveyed throug ...more
Susan
Nov 21, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it
From the first time I saw this book, I knew I'd love it. It was beautiful, both the story and the artwork. Seriously splendid artwork. The story is a lovely collection of historical events, mother, daughter, mother, daughter family history. I just wish it were ALL true! I also enjoyed the author's more elaborate family history recounting at the end. Kudos to a person who paid attention and wrote down her family's stories before they could be further lost.
Christine
Aug 07, 2013 Christine rated it really liked it
A simple but precious circle of beads passed down from generation to generation tells the story of the history and significance of important events in Wyeth's family. The author's note at the end is not to be missed and places names and locations with the journey of her family as portrayed in the story.
Wendy
This book is a gem for all generations to share. A wonderful way to introduce geneology and start your own family tradition. The author's notes afterward are good for older children, especially when the family tree school project rolls around. Loved the illustrations.
Pam
This book is an interesting way to present the idea of people's ancestors and how they hand down items, genes and ideas down to the current generation. This book would be an interesting way for a parent to introduce a child to his or her family history.
Great Books
Jan 24, 2013 Great Books rated it really liked it
Shelves: ages-5-8
Beautiful illustrations highlight the story of beads passed down through female family members through generations. Each woman's story is told as the beads move from person to person. Wonderful! Reviewer 12
Melody Harmon
Apr 30, 2013 Melody Harmon rated it really liked it
This is a very cute book! I love the family stories. Anyone who is interested in passing a love of genealogy on to their children should read this book to their kids.
Katrina Smith
Oct 09, 2013 Katrina Smith rated it it was amazing
Carefully and beautifully crafted. Good for telling story of generations -- especially with the idea that our lineage might not always look the same as the reader. I want to own.
Kelsey
Feb 01, 2013 Kelsey rated it liked it
Shelves: k-2nd, family
Age: K-2nd grade
Family: Intergenerational

Wyeth has us follow an heirloom necklace during the pivotal moments when it is passed down from one generation to the next.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »