Start by marking “Dinner with Lenny: The Last Long Interview with Leonard Bernstein” as Want to Read:
Dinner with Lenny: The Last Long Interview with Leonard Bernstein

Dinner with Lenny: The Last Long Interview with Leonard Bernstein

4.34  ·  Rating Details  ·  145 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Leonard Bernstein was arguably the most highly esteemed, influential, and charismatic American classical music personality of the twentieth century. Conductor, composer, pianist, writer, educator, and human rights activist, Bernstein truly led a life of Byronic intensity--passionate, risk-taking, and convention-breaking.

In November 1989, just a year before his death, Berns
Published January 8th 2013 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published December 7th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Dinner with Lenny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dinner with Lenny

Jenny (Reading Envy)
Nov 17, 2012 Jenny (Reading Envy) rated it it was amazing
While this is no more than an interview transcription, this is a wonderful capture of one of the most dynamic composers and conductors of the 20th century. Jonathan Cott sat down with Leonard Bernstein for "dinner," which was more of a 12 hour interview marathon. He published an excerpt version in Rolling Stone in 1989, the year before Bernstein's death. Now it is being released in its entirety.

What I love about this is how much Bernstein comes through, from the musical examples he sings or jump
Brian Saul
Feb 07, 2014 Brian Saul rated it really liked it
Light and delightful reading. Though I don't believe I followed Leonard Bernstein that closely when he was alive and never saw him in person, much less had dinner with him or read much about him, I've decided that I like him a lot as a person as well as a genius in the world of music. I don't think I could ever be a friend as his manner (as conveyed by author Jonathan Cott) is a little too frenetic and emotional for me to be able to manage for long. One might even wonder if he would, in today's ...more
Amanda
Jul 14, 2014 Amanda rated it really liked it
Beyond one music history course I took in college, of which I have retained very little, I feel ill-versed to converse about classical music or modern composers, so I have been seeking to bridge this void, however feeble. Appreciation for today's music can only be further enhanced by better understanding what came before it and what led to its evolution, so reading Bernstein's enthusiastic replies utterly encourages this endeavor. His words overflow with love for the genre, for he perceives each ...more
Lorri
Nov 25, 2012 Lorri rated it it was amazing
Dinner With Lenny, by Jonathan Cott, is a book I could not put down and read straight through. In fact, I read it a second time.

The last interview with Leonard Bernstein is an amazing accomplishment, both in writing, interviewing and in inspiration.

Leonard Bernstein's words are profound, as was his life and career as a renowned composer, conductor, pianist and so much more. There is a little known fact: Bernstein was an activist for humanity, and always tried to instill humanistic values within
William Stanger
Oct 21, 2012 William Stanger rated it it was amazing
Dinner with Lenny is one of the best books I have read so far this year. I really had no idea what to expect, feeling that I would at least find it interesting, but it was more than that and I found it really hard to put down in the end.

The book is a complete account of Leonard Bernstein's last full interview, which he gave to Jonathan Cott just a year before his death. A short version appeared in Rolling Stone, but Cott had felt at the time that it didn't really do justice, so the result was to
Gloria Feit
Nov 28, 2012 Gloria Feit rated it it was amazing
This is a book, sub-titled “The Last Long Interview with Leonard Bernstein,” that is slight in size only, but which provides hefty and fascinating insight into the mind of the internationally renowned “Lenny” Bernstein, brilliant conductor, composer of orchestral works as well as legendary musical scores for Broadway, including On the Town, Wonderful Town, and West Side Story, and gave innumerable Young People’s Concerts at Carnegie Hall.

The author conducted a twelve-hour interview at Bernstein’
Holly Weiss
Many of us know Leonard Bernstein as an inspiring American composer and conductor. Jonathan Cott’s Dinner with Lenny reveals Leonard Bernstein the man, the musician, the composer, the conductor, the educator, the humanitarian. Bernstein lived life to the fullest. The twelve-hour interview is truncated into a 192-page book, but Bernstein’s exhilaration and passion leap off the pages.

Bernstein was a galvanizing conductor of the New York Philharmonic. Many called him the most extraordinary musicia
John
Jun 17, 2013 John rated it really liked it
I have been fascinated with Leonard Bernstein for a number of years. This book caught my attention because Lenny did not give too many interviews, and I wanted to see what this book had to offer in the way of new perspective on the man. It is a very revealing interview, and Lenny comes across as genuine, passionate, and curious even as his health declined. He had a great deal of spirit and life, and that comes across quite well in this short but delightful book.

The book dragged a bit very brief
Ethan
Jan 04, 2013 Ethan rated it really liked it
Towards the end of his life, famed composer, pianist, and conductor, Leonard Bernstein, rarely gave interviews. When a young Jonathan Cott requested an interview with the maestro for a story to appear in Rolling Stones magazine, he was certain Bernstein would decline his request. Fortunately, Bernstein was impressed with the writings of Cott and in November of 1989, a year before his death, invited him to dinner at his home.

In what is noted as Bernsteins last major interview, Cott has presented
Don
Aug 23, 2013 Don rated it liked it
It's no great surprise that this short book caught my attention immediately and that I read it just as soon as I possibly could. Though primarily known as a composer of classical music, Bernstein also gave the world several well loved Broadway musicals including the groundbreaking Westside Story.

The author, Jonathan Cott, is an editor at Rolling Stone magazine and has been a Bernstein fan since childhood. This book is a chronicle of a twelve hour long interview he did with Bernstein in 1989, a
Chris Craddock
Dec 23, 2012 Chris Craddock rated it it was amazing
Sehnsucht, langsamen schmachten

Bravo! Dinner with Lenny, the last long interview with the Maestro, Leonard Bernstein, is awesome. Jonathan Cott, a writer for Rolling Stone, interviewed the Maestro in November of 1989, just a year before his death. Cott was the perfect interlocuter for Bernstein, it seems. He was a fan and well versed in classical music, contemporary music (he has written a biography of Bob Dylan as well as many other books) poetry, literature, art, and religion. The abridged int
Stephen
Jan 02, 2013 Stephen rated it liked it

"Dinner with Lenny," leans toward the connoisseur and away from the classical music neophyte.

This book boils down 12 hours of conversation it's author, Jonathan Cott, had with composer and conductor Leonard Bernstein not too long before the classical music magician's death.

Here is a lion in winter, yet expansive and intellectually alert, settling old scores (pun intended), delving into decisions made, adventures in music endured, holding forth on the state of culture, politics and society, tho
Linda Belmont
Aug 20, 2013 Linda Belmont rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. One of my greatest regrets is never seeing Mr. Bernstein conduct in person. I must be content to watch DVD's. My copy is dog-eared with pages mentioning performances, symphonies, and quotes. I think my favorite quote of his is, "I was diagnosed as having emphysema in my mid-twenties, and to be dead by the age of thirty-five. Then they said I'd be dead by the age of forty-five. And fifty-five. Well, I beat the rap. I smoke. I drink. I stay up all night. I screw aroun ...more
Dgg32
Oct 11, 2015 Dgg32 rated it it was amazing
A unique view into the late Lenny. After his six lessons in Harvard, everybody wants to hear more from Lenny. He is not only a music legend, but also an eloquent and learned personality. His broad interest fuels an uninterrupted conversation between him and Cott, who caputred very well the late Lenny spirituality. A short book can be finished in one day but can give you a life-long lesson.
Cameron Reilly
Oct 16, 2013 Cameron Reilly rated it it was amazing
I finished this book a couple of days ago. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Leonard Bernstein was a wonder of a man - composer, performer, teacher and someone who hate pomposity. He spent his life bringing music to life for others. My first introduction to Lenny was his album "What Is Jazz", which I listened to repeatedly in my 20s. In more recent times, I've watched "West Side Story" (I saw it as a kid but hadn't REALLY watched it until recently), and started watching his OMNIBUS series (http://www.amazo ...more
Stephanie Sadownik
Nov 08, 2014 Stephanie Sadownik rated it really liked it
What a fantastic interview with Il Maestro!!! I've always been a fan of Bernstein, his music, conducting and his amazing lectures. What an incredible mind and this interview is just fascinating to see him rattle off memories, and talk about composers and music as if they are close friends...which, of course, they are. So inspiring!!
Jiunwen Wang
Jun 10, 2014 Jiunwen Wang rated it really liked it
A great book that gives us the inside glimpse to the wonderful mind and soul of Leonard Bernstein. Many philosophical tid-bits and surprising insights to the human condition. I am not a fan of Mahler, but after reading about how Lenny talks about Mahler, and how he conducts Mahler, I am inclined to sit through a Mahler symphony.
Cynthia Archer
Nov 28, 2012 Cynthia Archer rated it it was amazing
This was an amazing little book, and I thank the publisher for the opportunity to read this advance edition. I was enthralled from the very beginning by the dedication of the author to this project and his great reverence for Leonard Bernstein and classical music. Jonathan Cott presented the man and who he was through his questions of music. This was by no means a biography of Lenny, but rather a celebration of the man and what made him tick. It was simply done through his interview, but it was ...more
Taube
Mar 26, 2015 Taube rated it really liked it
(If one is invited to dine at Leonard Bernstein's house, one should never refuse to eat the chicken.)
Ray
Nov 26, 2014 Ray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating but all-too-short interview with one of America's premier musicians and thinkers.
Alex Diaz
Sep 22, 2014 Alex Diaz rated it it was amazing
Only every fantasy I've ever had about an imagined meeting with Bernstein, perfectly captured...
Carole
Jul 01, 2013 Carole rated it really liked it

He was a genius; he was charismatic; he was multi-faceted beyond imagination; he was spiritual; he was political; he was erotic; he stretched boundaries; his energy was boundless; he was electrifying; his quest for learning never ended; but most of all he was one of the greatest teachers of the 20th century. This short book sent me scurrying to listen to certain of his recordings (Sibelius 1, Beethoven 9, Mahler anything) while reading his comments re particular rhythms, dynamics, motifs. So alm
pianogal
Dec 02, 2012 pianogal rated it really liked it
The more I read about him, the more I like Leonard Bernstein. Sure, he was a crotchety old man by the end, but the dude was smart. Seriously, he knew everything about music and lots and lots of stuff about other stuff. The author bugged me a little with his wanna-be-know-it-all attitude, but maybe that's what Lenny always brings out in his guests. It's a quick read too, or maybe it just pulled me so I didn't notice the time passing.
Joy
Dec 27, 2013 Joy rated it liked it
This last interview was done by the editor of 'Rolling Stone' magazine in November, 1989, before Bernstein's death almost a year later. It's always refreshing to hear the opinions of an opinionated person, which Bernstein certainly was to the end. Good overview of his life and the current music scene.
David Badertscher
Jun 15, 2013 David Badertscher rated it it was amazing
Jonathan Cott does a magnificant job bringing together the many facets of a very complex personality, Leonard Bernstein. Cott presents Bernstein as not only a music polymath but a life polymath. Cott himself makes a real contribution to the success of this marathon interview by asking well prepared questions. The results as compiled by Cott are very readable and should make entertaining reading.
Kenny
Apr 20, 2013 Kenny rated it it was amazing
Cott has done it again. After book-length interviews with Karlheinz Stockhausen (dizzily hallucinatory) and Glenn Gould (fascinating), Cott talks with Leonard Bernstein in what turned out to be a twelve hour visit. Funny, profane, storming the heights and probing the depths (I've read that somewhere, but I can't remember where), this is fascinating on so many levels.
Dinakar
Sep 25, 2013 Dinakar rated it really liked it
Definitely a good book to read about the great conductor/musician/composer. He shows his reverence to Mozart, Beethoven and his affinity towards Mahler. Most of all, he has an incredible memory of things he has done. I read it in spurts but this is a relatively easy read.

At the end of it, you just are in awe of this unique individual.
Bill Gordon
Mar 13, 2014 Bill Gordon rated it really liked it
What to say about my memories of Leonard Bernstein? All those Young Peoples' Concerts on CBS television in the 1950s and 1960s. The unbelievably vital recordings. And that big, big mouth which could go on and on, brilliantly. It all comes back with a reading of this book. Read it if you love classical music.
Selma
Oct 05, 2013 Selma rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
More about Leonard Bernstein than you ever wanted to know, proffered in the form of an edited and tweaked tape of an evening's conversation. Cringe-making adulation of il maestro.
Dave
Feb 17, 2013 Dave rated it it was ok
Not enough Bernstein and too much Jonathan Cott. I think Bernstein probably reads better when edited. Does make me want to hear more of his recordings, though.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Niketche: uma História de Poligamia
  • Chagall: A Biography
  • The 23rd Psalm: A Holocaust Memoir
  • Shostakovich: A Life Remembered
  • Leningrad: Siege and Symphony: The Story of the Great City Terrorized by Stalin, Starved by Hitler, Immortalized by Shostakovich

“Anything of a serious nature isn’t “instant”—you can’t “do” the Sistine Chapel in one hour. And who has time to listen to a Mahler symphony, for God’s sake?” 0 likes
“Look at the score and make it come alive as if [you] were the composer. If you can do that, you're a conductor and if you can't, you're not. If I don't become Brahms or Tchaikovsky or Stravinsky when I'm conducting their works, then it won't be a great performance.” 0 likes