Fire Margins (Sholan Alliance, #3)

Fire Margins (Sholan Alliance #3)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  253 ratings  ·  9 reviews
A new race is about to be born on the Sholan homeworld, and it may cause the current unstable political climate to explode. Only through exploring the Sholan's long-buried and purposely forgotten past can Carrie and Kusac hope to find the path to survival, not only for their own people, but for Sholans and humans as well.
Published November 1996 by DAW

mlady_rebecca
Third book in the series. By now we're not only deep into the story of the first Sholan-Human Leska pairing, but we're deep into a story spanning the history of Shola. This story has definitely grown to an epic scope. Multiple alien species who've been at war for generations upon generations. And the importance of knowing the past to change the future.

I'm devouring this series fairly rapidly. I'm ready to pick up the next book immediately. The clear advantage of finding a closed ended series tha...more
Kerri
The third book in Lisanne Norman's Sholan Alliance series concerning, among other things, relations between Humans and the catlike Sholan and bonds that form between telepaths of both species. This book delves more deeply into the religious side of Sholan life and we continue to learn more about society on the Sholan homeworld. If you've read the first two books in the series, this is an excellent and enlightening continuation.
Bradley
Long book of average sci-fi quality.. not to mention third in a series. It is hard to enjoy when dozens of characters march on and off the stage. It was enjoyable on its own merits but it will not be staying in my permanent collection. If you like cat aliens you might enjoy this story more than me. It is better than the bug alien bug books I have read in the past several months.
Steven
I have a mixed review to give for Fire Margins. I have decided not to continue reading this series. But, I have enjoyed all three of the books I have read. I even mostly enjoyed this book number three. First the good things for me. This book has aliens, telepathy, time travel, mind control, and lots of sex.

I like the efforts to achieve peaceful cooperation between humans and Sholans. It is not just automatic that different groups of people will get along well, just because it is in their intere...more
Calisto
Jun 16, 2010 Calisto rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of old school soft scifi of epic proportions
In order to ensure the freedom of all mixed Leskas, including future hybrid children, Carrie and Kusac risk their lives in an ancient and deadly religious ritual.

This is where this series goes from just being a 'space opera' to being a full on, mystical epic fantasy of Biblical proportions with a cast of thousands. This is the book where you either just go with it and enjoy the ride or basically give up on the series. I really don't think there is a middle ground.

I found the religious aspects a...more
Sui Lynn
There was a lot of world building in this book. I didn't enjoy it as much as the first ones in the series. It was more about the politics and religion that formed the world than the interpersonal relationships of the characters. It was hard to keep focus and there are sections that it took everything I had to keep reading. The story line is great but I could have done without all the unnecessary politics. It slowed down the story and really drew me away from the characters I've grown to love. St...more
Elise
I love this series more and more with each book. Time travel, all the twists and turns... I am completely hooked. I read books so I can read about other worlds. This world of Kusac, Carrie, and Kaid's is one that I love to be in. Can't wait to start reading the next book.
Rebecca Huston
Sigh. Another devolution into Mary-Sue-doom here. This one takes the turn of an quest adventure. More human feline shenanigans too.

For the complete review, please go here:
Sandra
We start going into the history of the story here, and the story starts edging into more mature ratings. (Getting higher as the series goes.)

Andrew Barnes
Andrew Barnes marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Tommy Cramer
Tommy Cramer marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Joey V.
Joey V. marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Emi
Emi added it
May 08, 2014
Tara Wood
Tara Wood marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
  • The Giants Novels (Giants, #1-3)
  • Beyond Varallan (Stardoc, #2)
  • Brain Ships (Brainship, #2-3)
  • Grimmer Than Hell
  • David Falkayn: Star Trader (Technic Civilization 2)
  • Audacious (Kris Longknife, #5)
  • Old Guard: Bolos Anthology 5 (Bolos, #5)
  • Burning Bright
  • The House Between The Worlds
  • Kingdom's Swords (Starfist, #7)
  • His Conquering Sword (Jaran, #3)
  • The Tyrant (Raj Whitehall, #8)
  • Golden Witchbreed
  • Orion and the Conqueror (Orion, # 4)
  • Fledgling (Theo Waitley, #1; Liaden Universe, #12)
  • Alien Taste (Ukiah Oregon, #1)
  • The Ship Errant (Brainship, #6)
Turning Point (Sholan Alliance, #1) Fortune's Wheel (Sholan Alliance, #2) Razor's Edge (Sholan Alliance, #4) Dark Nadir (Sholan Alliance, #5) Stronghold Rising (Sholan Alliance, #6)