Start by marking “Fire Margins (Sholan Alliance, #3)” as Want to Read:
Fire Margins (Sholan Alliance, #3)

Fire Margins (Sholan Alliance #3)

A new race is about to be born on the Sholan homeworld, and it may cause the current unstable political climate to explode. Only through exploring the Sholan's long-buried and purposely forgotten past can Carrie and Kusac hope to find the path to survival, not only for their own people, but for Sholans and humans as well.
Published November 1996 by DAW

To ask other readers questions about Fire Margins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fire Margins

mlady_rebecca
Third book in the series. By now we're not only deep into the story of the first Sholan-Human Leska pairing, but we're deep into a story spanning the history of Shola. This story has definitely grown to an epic scope. Multiple alien species who've been at war for generations upon generations. And the importance of knowing the past to change the future.

I'm devouring this series fairly rapidly. I'm ready to pick up the next book immediately. The clear advantage of finding a closed ended series tha
Kerri
Dec 19, 2008 Kerri rated it liked it
The third book in Lisanne Norman's Sholan Alliance series concerning, among other things, relations between Humans and the catlike Sholan and bonds that form between telepaths of both species. This book delves more deeply into the religious side of Sholan life and we continue to learn more about society on the Sholan homeworld. If you've read the first two books in the series, this is an excellent and enlightening continuation.
Bradley
May 20, 2010 Bradley rated it liked it
Long book of average sci-fi quality.. not to mention third in a series. It is hard to enjoy when dozens of characters march on and off the stage. It was enjoyable on its own merits but it will not be staying in my permanent collection. If you like cat aliens you might enjoy this story more than me. It is better than the bug alien bug books I have read in the past several months.
Barbara Ghylin
This is a series I have read in the past. I very much enjoy going back there. The problem is that books 4 & 5 are not available in ebook. I have looked everywhere I can think of. So I guess I will continue with #6. I least I am not working at the moment so I can really enjoy reading!!
Steven
May 24, 2013 Steven rated it liked it
I have a mixed review to give for Fire Margins. I have decided not to continue reading this series. But, I have enjoyed all three of the books I have read. I even mostly enjoyed this book number three. First the good things for me. This book has aliens, telepathy, time travel, mind control, and lots of sex.

I like the efforts to achieve peaceful cooperation between humans and Sholans. It is not just automatic that different groups of people will get along well, just because it is in their intere
Calisto
Jun 16, 2010 Calisto rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of old school soft scifi of epic proportions
In order to ensure the freedom of all mixed Leskas, including future hybrid children, Carrie and Kusac risk their lives in an ancient and deadly religious ritual.

This is where this series goes from just being a 'space opera' to being a full on, mystical epic fantasy of Biblical proportions with a cast of thousands. This is the book where you either just go with it and enjoy the ride or basically give up on the series. I really don't think there is a middle ground.

I found the religious aspects a
Sui Lynn
Aug 18, 2012 Sui Lynn rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
There was a lot of world building in this book. I didn't enjoy it as much as the first ones in the series. It was more about the politics and religion that formed the world than the interpersonal relationships of the characters. It was hard to keep focus and there are sections that it took everything I had to keep reading. The story line is great but I could have done without all the unnecessary politics. It slowed down the story and really drew me away from the characters I've grown to love. St ...more
Queen Bee
Jan 15, 2017 Queen Bee rated it really liked it
A couple of things really annoyed me with this book. The author would leave out huge jumps in realization and conclusions that Carrie, Kusac, and Kaid had come to. The book is so long already so maybe they were edited out?? However, I think removing all the references to coffee and tea at every.single.interaction would have made more sense.
These random leaps of new facts/knowledge leaves the reader slightly confused. It felt as if I had accidentally skipped several pages of reading. Which I had
Rebecca Huston
Sigh. Another devolution into Mary-Sue-doom here. This one takes the turn of an quest adventure. More human feline shenanigans too.

For the complete review, please go here:
Michael Mcfadden jr
Jan 12, 2017 Michael Mcfadden jr rated it it was amazing
Best of the Series. Continues the series path into a Darker Story than it seemed to be going. Best book of the batch. However the last book before Norman falls in love with some exceptionally darker tone.
Elise
Dec 23, 2008 Elise rated it it was amazing
I love this series more and more with each book. Time travel, all the twists and turns... I am completely hooked. I read books so I can read about other worlds. This world of Kusac, Carrie, and Kaid's is one that I love to be in. Can't wait to start reading the next book.
Sandra
Jul 15, 2009 Sandra rated it really liked it
We start going into the history of the story here, and the story starts edging into more mature ratings. (Getting higher as the series goes.)

Ben Stanfield
Ben Stanfield rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2013
Jamie
Jamie rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2016
Christopher Ormond
Christopher Ormond rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2012
Kritter F.
Kritter F. rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2016
Ankharet Verch meredudd
Ankharet Verch meredudd rated it it was amazing
Nov 08, 2012
Randy
Randy rated it it was amazing
Jul 27, 2012
J. Quincy
J. Quincy rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2014
William Howe
William Howe rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2015
Shelly Roseburg
Shelly Roseburg rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2011
Ginchy
Ginchy rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2012
Andria Price
Andria Price rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2015
Mhari Macnicol
Mhari Macnicol rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2012
Terri
Terri rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2013
Belinda
Belinda rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2012
Rena McGee
Rena McGee rated it it was ok
Jun 02, 2012
Piotr
Piotr rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2015
Patti Colt
Patti Colt rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2011
Cori
Cori rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2011
  • Beyond Varallan (Stardoc, #2)
  • The Giants Novels (Giants, #1-3)
  • Relic of Empire (Forbidden Borders, #2)
  • This Time Forever
  • The Sea Lark's Song
  • Privateer (The Flight Engineer, #2)
  • Brain Ships (Brainship, #2-3)
  • Chanur's Legacy (Chanur #5)
  • The War With Earth (New Kashubia, #2)
  • Mighty Good Road
  • Ties of Power (Trade Pact Universe, #2)
  • Alien Taste (Ukiah Oregon, #1)
  • Grimmer Than Hell
  • David Falkayn: Star Trader (Technic Civilization 2)
  • Metaphase
  • Rubicon (Sentinels, No 5)
  • Golden Witchbreed

Sholan Alliance (9 books)
  • Turning Point (Sholan Alliance, #1)
  • Fortune's Wheel (Sholan Alliance, #2)
  • Razor's Edge (Sholan Alliance, #4)
  • Dark Nadir (Sholan Alliance, #5)
  • Stronghold Rising (Sholan Alliance, #6)
  • Between Darkness and Light  (Sholan Alliance, #7)
  • Shades of Gray (Sholan Alliance, #8)
  • Circle's End (Sholan Alliance, #9)