Start by marking “Die with Me (Mark Tartaglia, #1)” as Want to Read:
Die with Me (Mark Tartaglia, #1)

Die with Me (Mark Tartaglia #1)

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  355 ratings  ·  53 reviews
A new detective series in the style of ?Prime Suspect? from a great new talent from the UK. A series of deaths -- apparent suicides -- of vulnerable young girls is baffling police in London: the bodies are found in the naves of churches after having fallen from a great height. Thanks to a badly-handled leak, the press are all clamoring for a serial killer called The Brideg ...more
Hardcover
Published November 20th 2007 by MacAdam Cage (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Die with Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Die with Me

Marianne
Die With Me is the first novel by British author, Elena Forbes, and the first book in the Mark Tartaglia series. When an autopsy on the victim of an apparent suicide in a deserted London church raises questions about the death, DI Mark Tartaglia finds himself in charge of a murder investigation. From laborious examination of coroner’s records, it becomes clear that there are at least two, and possibly three, earlier victims. Emails, suicide notes, locks of hair, presence of GHB and other factors ...more
Marian
This Crime Fiction book is a page turner. It is set in London and reminds me of the series "Prime Suspect".Spent my spare minutes reading this book. Recommend it to anyone who is a crime/mystery fan. I had read Elena Forbes 2nd book, Our Lady of Pain, and enjoyed it so much I decided to read her 1st book. Main characters were interesting. No romance (hate that!!, no sex ..."his pulsating..." you get the picture). Just a full of suspense that you will be suprised as "who done it"
Trish
Elena Forbes was a new name to me when I began this first-in-a-series police procedural, though the name Forbes had some resonance. The author managed to create a worthy group of characters that escape being mere copies of their more famous forebears by being younger and more attractive than we usually see among the British and Scottish captains of storied police forces, but just as capable and job-obsessed.

The first chapter and synopsis of this mystery were shortlisted for the CWA John Creasey
Karen
There's a bit of a clue to the context for Gemma's death on the front cover of DIE WITH ME - "You could find your new best friend on the net ... or discover your worst nightmare". Oh dear, another the Internet is all bad story? Well no.

Gemma's death is written off as a suicide when she is first discovered. She seems to have jumped from high up in the church, dying on the floor of the dark church on a dark evening. But postmortem tests show a small amount of alcohol and GHB in her system, and the
Aileen
Probably 3 1/2 stars, because it was engaging and kept me listening. I liked the central character, Mark Tataglia and his offsider, Sam. There were sections that were plausible and interesting, with good dialogue.

Many flapping gaping holes in the plot and characterisation, though. The secondary characters were mostly weak and faded into wallpaper. A couple were really unconvincing. Steele, for example, is described as a tough competent cop, but her character is weak, neurotic, incompetent and d
Lynne
The debut novel "Die with me" was a pleasant surprise!
Forbes included all the elements of a mystery/psychological thriller that much more seasoned novelists sometimes have difficulty with.
The protagonist is the broodingly handsome DI Mark Tartaglia who inherits a murder case because of the fact that his mentor/DCI is in the hospital recovering from a serious accident.
A modern police procedural mystery set in West London, the crime involves the apparent suicide of a young girl.
However it soon com
Belle
Die with me is quite a read for a debut novel with an interesting plot line. However, the author failed to elaborate more action, tension and thrill on the book, it also left me with a string of questions like:
# What is the reason behind Tom's killing?
# What's with the lock of hair?
# Why does he like to watch the girls die?
# Why does Tom's grandparents hate him?
# Does the killing have to do with his mother's suicide?
-----and a lot more.

Even then, I am interested in reading the rest of the series
Marjolein
READ IN DUTCH

After reading the following blurb I was really interested in reading this book:

A new detective series in the style of 'Prime Suspect' from a great new talent from the UK. A series of deaths -- apparent suicides -- of vulnerable young girls is baffling police in London: the bodies are found in the naves of churches after having fallen from a great height. Thanks to a badly-handled leak, the press are all clamoring for a serial killer called The Bridegroom, and amidst the maelstrom o
Shireen
I downloaded this to my Kobo app well over a year ago and never got around to reading it. Ebooks are way too easy to buy, and so you accumulate a bunch and then end up forgetting about the ones not read right away.

Anyway, I began reading this on my iPod Touch when out and about and finished reading it on my Sony Reader. The two don't exactly co-ordinate -- one of these early-days problems of reading ebooks -- but at least it looked good on both platforms.

It was a decent read. It kind of followed
Shonna Froebel
This mystery centres around the deaths of young girls in churches, at first glance suicides. DI Mark Tartaglia and DS Sam Donovan think there is more to it than that and find, after some investigation, that they are correct. As they begin the hunt for the killer, they come across other suspicious deaths that they think may be related to their case. Sometimes working without permission from their superiors, the two keep digging away at the case, trying to make connections between the victims.
We s
Hasenmädchen
Kosten:
eBook Ausgabe: 3,99

Inhalt:
Für die vierzehnjährige Gemma Kramer ist er die erste große Liebe: ein Mann, der all ihre Nöte und Sehnsüchte zu verstehen scheint. Er umwirbt das schüchterne Mädchen mit Liebesgedichten und Zuwendung und bittet schließlich um ein Treffen, das ihre Liebe besiegeln soll. Eine Liebe, die der Ewigkeit geweiht ist: Gemma, so ist es zwischen den beiden beschlossen, wird mit ihrem geheimnisvollen Verehrer in den Tod gehen, um das gemeinsame Glück Zeit und Raum zu entre
Aaron Hamilton
Summary: By virtue of being published, most authors at least write something good enough for me to complete willingly. Forbes is not one of them.

I'm going to ignore the thick and numerous British Idiosyncracies that pepper the narrative so much it makes it difficult for a NA reader to follow because it's an unfair criticism, in my mind. So I want a prospective reader to understand my review fully: I dislike this book for other reasons.

One: the mystery is unravelled like reading off a bullet poin
LJ
DIE WITH ME (Pol. Proc.-DI Mark Tartaglia-London-Cont) – NR
Forbes, Elena, 1st book
Quercus, 2008, UK Hardcover – ISBN: 1847241565

First Sentence: The tombstone was nearly six feet tall, weathered and mottled with lichen.

DI Mark Tartaglia has a serial killer on his hands. Someone is luring young girls to the galleries of churches and throwing them to their deaths.

This was such a miss for me. Ms. Forbes male protagonist was not convincing and none of the characters had any depth. There was a lot of
Pbwritr
Kate Baxter
SPOILER ALERT!! don't read if you haven't read the book!!

I would have enjoyed this book a lot more if it hadn't been the third book I had read this week where the serial killer turns out to be the new boyfriend of one of the female detectives.
Kae Cheatham
Die With Me is a well constructed mystery with great sense-of-place (portions of London, England). DI Mark Tartaglia heads up a serial murder case with able assistance from DS Sam Donovan. As the investigation into the possible murder of a teenage girl proceeds, police procedure is prominent, but not so much as to distract from the development of very interesting characters.

As with a current style of "storytelling," the point of view of the killer is also presented—without giving the identity. I
Joanne
This was an exceptional police procedural. Everything, from the descriptions of London to the development of the characters, was masterful. I loved how halfway through the book, I was smugly positive I'd solved the mystery, only to have it turned upside down in the last ten pages. I can't wait to read the next one.
Tracey Sinclair
I enjoyed this least of the three Tartaglia books I've read, though in fairness that may be because having read what comes after it, I knew the killer and, sort of, the ending. But I also felt like the characters were less formed; Tartaglia actually comes off as a bit of a dick, and I'm not sure if I'd read this first whether I'd bother with the next, which I actually really enjoyed.
Anne
I am not a fan of serial killer themed books, TV shows or movies, but surprisingly this novel grabbed me right from the start and kept me rivited until the last page. Aside from the main mystery, the author involves you in the characters' personal lives, which are just as enthralling as the mystery. Elena Forbes is a terrific writer & I look forward to reading the next book in the series. Die With Me is the first book in the series and it is important to read them in order. I hope that Ms. F ...more
Brenda
Lunch-bag let-down. So disappointing, as it had so many elements in place.
Heather Chen
Good enough for me to buy the second and third.
Janusch
Vrij slecht geschreven, maar zeker onderhoudend.
Mary Kay
I love a good British police procedural & this is definitely one. A nasty person is preying on vulnerable young girls & persuading them to commit suicide with him. Only, he ends up throwing them off very high places while he walks away with a lock of their hair as a macabre souvenir. We also get to know the detectives in charge of the case & to care about their flawed selves. A review likened this book to the Prime Suspect series but I don't think it's as gritty as Prime Suspect.
Lauren
I have only just discovered Elena Forbes, but I have to say I am very glad to have finally done it. This book is a satisfying crime novel with well drawn characters and twists and turns that keep you guessing right to the end. Like all good detective novels there is a less-than-perfect central character, a red herring or two and interestingly a glimpse into the murderer's mind. I look forward to reading more by this author.
Jenna
Closer to 2.5 starts. I didn't love it, but it kept me reading, and there are some character developments/relationship developments that I would at least read the next book to see where it goes. If it looks like those relationships/developments are going to keep me stuck forever in the "which way is it going to go/forever in the balance" I might get annoyed, unless the mystery itself grips me.
Gina
I'm finally done. The story unfolds simply way too slow to capture my mind; I find myself drifting away easily. The writer focuses a lot on characters and character developments - emotionally, mentally, etc. It's rich that way, but somehow good characters make for nothing if it doesn't push the story forward at a decent pace at least. That's just my personal opinion, of course.
Gerry
I seem to prefer British authors especially in the murder mystery genre and this did not disappoint. Although this is a debut book, Elena Forbes did a good job with character development and a plot that kept me turning pages until the end. The only criticism was that I guessed the bad guy before it was revealed... I will pick up the next in the series some time soon.
Joyce McKune
Hard to follow due to the extremely colloquial use of the English language. Some conversations seemed like the words were made up and just thrown in in any order. At least in a book you can go back and read it a few times. If you still can't figure it out, move on. Will try one more, but if not easier to follow, that will be it.
Brooke
I liked this first in what will certainly be a series of English police mysteries. But then, I'm a sucker for them. The characters are the sort that people these sorts of books, and it was well-written. That's really all I need. A bit of a cheesy ending, though.
Khim
Lang geleden dat ik dit boek heb gelezen, weet nog wel dat ik onder de indruk was van het boek en het niet meer kon wegleggen. Het boek is spannend en zette je meerdere malen op het verkeerde spoor. Geluk is nou dat ik de vervolg delen achter elkaar kan lezen.
  • Fallen Idols (DC Laura McGanity, #1)
  • Absolution (Anderson & Costello, #1)
  • The Golden Scales (Makana, #1)
  • Walt
  • Good Bait
  • Blind Fury (Anna Travis, #6)
  • Blood in the Water
  • Death Wore White (DI Peter Shaw & DS George Valentine, #1)
  • Spider Trap (Brock & Kolla, #9)
  • Into the Shadows (A Jill Kennedy and DCI Max Trentham Mystery #1)
  • Deadline
  • The Blood Detective
  • Seeking the Dead (Joe Plantagenet, #1)
  • Diamond Solitaire (Peter Diamond, #2)
  • Skin and Bones
  • The Suspect
  • Kittyhawk Down (Inspector Challis, #2)
  • The Ice Queen
Elena Forbes is an English writer of crime fiction.She grew up in London. After completing a degree in French and Italian at Bristol University, she worked in portfolio management for a number of international groups before becoming a full-time writer.

She lives in central London with her husband and two children. The protagonists of her novels so far are Detective Inspector Mark Tartaglia and DS S
More about Elena Forbes...

Mark Tartaglia (4 books)
  • Our Lady of Pain (Mark Tartaglia, #2)
  • Evil In Return (Mark Tartaglia, #3)
  • Jigsaw Man (Mark Tartaglia, #4)
Our Lady of Pain (Mark Tartaglia, #2) Evil In Return (Mark Tartaglia, #3) Jigsaw Man (Mark Tartaglia, #4) Jigsaw Man: A Mark Tartaglia Mystery