Start by marking “The Apple Orchard Riddle (Mr. Tiffin's Classroom Series)” as Want to Read:
The Apple Orchard Riddle (Mr. Tiffin's Classroom Series)

The Apple Orchard Riddle (Mr. Tiffin's Classroom Series)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  150 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Mr. Tiffin and his students from the perenially popular How Many Seeds in a Pumpkin? are back in this picture book about a school trip to an apple orchard!

In this playful, humorous, and child-friendly classroom story, the students learn a lot about apples and apple orchards—including how apples are harvested, how cider is made, and what the different varieties of apples a
Published July 9th 2013 by Schwartz & Wade (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Apple Orchard Riddle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Apple Orchard Riddle

Caryn Caldwell
One lovely autumn day, Mr. Tiffin takes his students to an apple orchard. He kicks off the visit by posing a riddle, and as the students learn about picking apples and making cider, they try to guess the answer to Mr. Tiffin's question. No one tries harder than Tara, a slow, quiet, dreamy child the others often look down on. She may not be quick-witted, but her special way of thinking could be just what the class needs to find the riddle's solution.

Although books about apple orchards seem to be
babyhippoface
Tara's class goes on a field trip to an apple orchard. Their teacher, Mr. Tiffin, gives them a riddle to think about while they are exploring and learning. The owner of the orchard teaches them about different varieties of apples, how they are harvested, how cider is made, and more. Kids are making guesses to answer the riddle throughout, but no one can figure it out. It is quiet and thoughtful Tara who finally solves the riddle of "the little red house".

Kindergarten classes at my school do a u
Barbara
It's off to an apple orchard for the youngsters in Mr. Tiffin's class. Not only do the children have the chance to learn about apples, but they pick several and get to eat them. They also must solve a riddle posed by Mr. Tiffin. To the surprise of her classmates, it is dreamy, observant Tara who figures out the answer. Those of us who live in Washington State, known for its delicious fruit, will be delighted with the story and the gouache, acrylic and pencil illustrations of apples, including my ...more
Alison
Teachers who cover the topic of apples will definitely want to get their hands on a copy of this book! It delivers lots of information about apple varieties, apple picking, and the making of apple cider, in the form of a satisfying story about a class field trip and the daydreaming student who (to everyone's surprise) solves the riddle posed to them at the beginning of their trip ("Show me a little red house with no windows and no door, but with a star inside.") This one has lots of great applic ...more
Habrewer
The Apple Orchard Riddle by Margaret McNamara
*A review copy of this book was viewed from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review*

As the students tour the orchard, they learn a lot about apple production. They are challenged with a riddle by their teacher that they try to figure out as they tour the orchard. The children work through the riddle but none of them could figure it out. They spend time learning how to pick apples, make cider and all the different types of apples.

Tara is different f
Nancy
I love when books can teach a lesson. Not just character building but occasionally you come across a book that includes a little more thought and maybe a little science too.

Mr. Tiffin is taking his class on a field trip to an apple orchard. He has tasked his class with solving a riddle, “Show me a little red house with no windows and no door, but with a star inside”.

As the young class learns about apples varieties and picking and then later on to pressing and cider making, Tara is deep in thou
Clare Rossetter
Dec 19, 2013 Clare Rossetter rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 1st-3rd graders
Recommended to Clare by: no-one
Clever book that asks a riddle that the students on this fictional field trip must answer. There are clues to the answer on each page which are great to review if students are unable to answer or even if they can to show supporting evidence in the text. This is a fiction story but it is filled with factual information about apple production. There is also an underlying text about a special student that is slower than the other children and how they react to her at the beginning and at the end. S ...more
Jessica Howard
We read this cute book about a field trip to an apple orchard, and then cut open an apple sideways to reveal its star, and chatted about the book as we snacked on the apple.

Eleanor particularly liked it because one of the schoolchildren was named Elinor.

We will definitely re-read this before heading to an apple orchard this fall!
Amy
A must ~read when planning a visit to an apple orchard and/or Cider mill! A fun look at the workings of an apple orchard, as a class takes a field trip. Pair with a Johnny Apple Seed tale. Naturally, you must cut an apple to reveal the star and solve the riddle. Use worm/apple puppet.
Rachel Dalton
This short book gives students all kinds of knowledge about apple farms and apples themselves. It includes a riddle that students try to figure out while at the apple farm. I might use this riddle to model a lesson on questioning and prediction.
Dolly
Nov 19, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an entertaining book that teaches a little about science and how apples are grown, harvested, and processed. It also includes a fun riddle, one that our girls solved before the children in the story did (which was very satisfying for them.)

The narrative isn't too long and the book includes additional facts about apples at the end of the story. The illustrations by G. Brian Karas are very recognizable; the characters are colorful and cartoonish.

Overall, we thought this was a fun book to
Christina
A wonderful book about apples! Great vocabulary for science and a riddle included! What a great way to finish a plant unit!
Aleece
Mr. Tiffin's class goes to an Apple Orchard to take a tour of the facilities as well as what else they do at the orchard. While they are there Mr. Tiffin gives the class a riddle to think about while they are taking the tour.

While I would not recommend this book for younger kids I would recommend this book for older children (ages 5 and up) because there is a lot more text and a lot more to understand about the apple orchard and younger kids might not be able to comprehend the story as well. I l
Ann
Feb 26, 2015 Ann marked it as to-read
Shelves: bb-sm-2016
2015-2016 Show Me Preliminary Nominee
Callie
May 19, 2014 Callie rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
TOo old for maggie, too young for me.
Michele Knott
Welcome back to Mr. Tiffin's class. We first met Mr. Tiffin in How Many Seeds in a Pumpkin? This time the class is visiting an apple orchard. Kids can collect facts about apples and orchards as they go on the field trip with the class. All along their apple orchard tour, the students are encouraged to solve an apple riddle.
I liked the additional apple orchard facts the author included at the end of the book.
Becky
A book that tells about a field trip to an apple orchard and cider making operation.
Margaret
Juvenile Fiction/School & Education
Ages 4-8, Preschool to 3rd
Pages: 40 Hardcover 8.88x10.78"
Date Published: July 9th, 2013
Publisher: Schwartz & Wade (Random House)

Apples - Field Trip

Field trips are awesome, but not always possible and this is a field trip in a book to an apple orchard. Absolutely perfect for adding on to your apple study. Educational, full of details and cute illustrations.

I read a digital advanced read copy from Random House.
Christine
Mr. Tiffin and his students head out on a field trip to explore a local apple orchard. Fun facts and pictures of the various varieties are included in the end matter and end pages of the book. (It would have been interesting to see some worldly varieties included as well) A book that any teacher would appreciate about how our students all learn and act differently and this is what enables us all to learn more from and with each others support!
Mr. Tiffin's class visits the apple orchard to learn about apple growing and picking, cider making, and apple varieties. Farmer Hills presents the class with a riddle that Tara, who is not good at tests, solves. Bumping the rating up to 4 stars because I know elementary school teachers will appreciate having a friendly fall story featuring apples to share with their classes. Recommended especially for grade 1.
K McClelland
This is a fun book about apples and also a bit of a lesson on how to treat/think of others. The girl who daydreams and doesn't talk to anyone, the one who is different, ends up surprising everyone. Plus you learn about apples along the way.

My youngest was excited to listen to the story and wanted it read to her again after I was finished. She even liked that I read the apple facts at the back of the book.
Rachel Watkins
This book gives information about an apple orchard while following a school class on a field trip. One student, in particular, is terribly endearing as she daydreams and processes the visit in her own time. I love how the emphasis on her experience illustrates the different way she learns. Includes special apple orchard facts and beautiful end-page illustrations of eight apple varieties.
Gps
I love riddles; they make you think..and the teacher helps the students to think in the course of their class visit to an Apple Orchard. they learn about means of production, an understanding of different types of apples, and some science.

definitely worth some read aloud time, and a clever ending (by the quiet student, of course)
Miley Smiley
This clever story takes you to an apple orchard where a class learns all about apple orchards, apples, making cider, and what it takes to harvest apples. The students learn all of this while trying to solve a riddle. This is a great story to read to students to teach about apples and to show students that not everyone learns the same way.
Elaine Bearden
PreS-gr2
Apple books - always popular. I do love McNamara and Karas' artwork. I think they might have teamed up for one about a lemonade stand. This is a nice read-aloud. Not too long, but enough of a story and a little mystery to pull kids through the story. A nice change from the usual apple harvest books.
Wendy Kuzma
This is based around the riddle "The Little Red House with No Doors and No Windows and a Star Inside". This would make a good read aloud for middle to upper elementary students. Included in this fictional story is a lot of information about apple orchards, how to pick apples, and how cider is made.
Brindi
definitely more nonfiction than fiction....which is fine, just not a picture book to read for story time, but would work to point out a few things as a factual addition to story time
Jodie
Useful interesting story about apples - great addition if teaching about this subject.
Samantha
A class field trip to an apple orchard has the class hunting for a red house without windows or door that has a star inside. Facts about apples follow the story.

This is a great book for classroom use. PreK-2.
Amanda Coppedge
This would be great for one on one with a pre-school child, to give them an idea of what school might be like on special days. Great discussion starter. I love the rough-around-the-edges artwork.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Doug Unplugged
  • Papa's Mechanical Fish
  • Sophie's Squash
  • Baby Bear Counts One
  • Bink and Gollie: Best Friends Forever (Bink & Gollie, #3)
  • Bear and Bee
Margaret McNamara is the Christopher Award–winning author of more than two dozen books for young readers, including the Robin Hill School series. The Fairy Bell Sisters series is inspired not only by her love of the classic sisterhood novel Little Women but by her own experiences growing up with older sisters (and a baby brother). Margaret and her family live in New York City, but they spend part ...more
More about Margaret McNamara...
How Many Seeds in a Pumpkin? (Mr. Tiffin's Classroom Series) The Three Little Aliens and the Big Bad Robot A Poem in Your Pocket (Mr. Tiffin's Classroom Series) George Washington's Birthday: A Mostly True Tale Sylva and the Fairy Ball (The Fairy Bell Sister #1)