Start by marking “Under the Bridge” as Want to Read:
Under the Bridge

Under the Bridge

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  135 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Tate's younger brother Indy is probably the best skateboarder in Spokane. He's also really smart though he couldn't care less about school. But when Indy clashes with his father one too many times and drops out of school, it's up to Tate to win his brother back from the seedier elements of Spokane. Can Tate convince Indy to come home, finish his high school degree, and ret ...more
Published November 12th 2013 by Ember (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Under the Bridge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Under the Bridge

Feb 28, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review can also be found here

This book was extremely gritty and shows what can happen when the streets overtake someone you care about. It also shows the lengths that one teenager will go to just to rescue his brother. This is not a happy book, though it does have a happy ending. The journey throughout is dark and dreary and not full of much hope. That's the funny thing about teenagers, they try no matter what, especially when it's one of their own that's in trouble.

This is a story about lo
Cassi aka Snow White Haggard
3.5/5 stars

Tate and Indy Brooks aren't the luckiest kids. They don't live in the suburbs but they don't live in the bad part of town either. They live in the buffer zone between the suburbs and poverty, not quite existing in either. Their father is a bit of a hard ass. He works hard and so should you. That's his mentality and he has trouble understanding any other perspective. Tate and Indy spend their days skating Under the Bridge, the local skate park.

Tate's a bit rough around the edges, alway
Zachary Jones
Another book about fighting for what you love and living your dreams. About getting caught up in sticky situations but finding a way out. About living, breathing, being.
Diego Avalos
Nov 06, 2015 Diego Avalos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My book was really interesting because it was talking about people that were not loved by their parents my parents love me and i love them but it was interesting reading and imagining something like that. Those people lived under a bridge that's why it was called like that because they always were there they said they were better there than home. They all had a good amount of pert in the book they were people that were not afraid of nobody but had responsibilities. I really liked the plot of the ...more
Brendan F.
Aug 24, 2016 Brendan F. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
David Jin
Michael Harmon's books are targeted for the mid-level teen, judging from his writing. I'm nearly an adult, and despite the simple language, I really enjoy is books. He has interesting plots and I like his characters. This is mu second favorite Harmon book, because Tate and Indy and co. are some of the best characters Harmon has come up with. I really liked each guy for their characteristics. The story was good too. I found myself caring for the guys and reading way past my preferred sleep time.

T
Kellee
Reviewed at: http://www.teachmentortexts.com/2013/...

*Each of us deals with our teen years differently, but I am sure that we all either know (or were) the teen that made some bad choices. This is a book about a teen much like these kids. It is narrated by his older brother and one of the story lines is about our protagonist, Tate, trying to find his own path, but the main story line in Under the Bridge is about his brother, Indy.
As a teacher, this one tore at my heart strings because it is de
Daniel Talevi
Nov 20, 2013 Daniel Talevi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Skateboarding, the highly-drawn "sport" that is a well essential to the urban life. Some might say it is to pass the time, others say it is their life. Living the urban life is completely separate from the ghetto. But when one begins to dissolve into the ghetto, little does he know that he will also put his own life on the line. This is where this story comes in.

Tate Brooks and his younger brother, Indy, are just the average skateboarders you would usually find within the gritty streets of Spoka
Cole Puckett
Feb 19, 2015 Cole Puckett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I personally give this book a four out of five stars. This book is a thrilling story about friendships, skateboarding, broken families, drug abuse, and teenage issues. These topics kept me interested. Harmon offers a real approach to teenaged life and a special bond between brothers. Tate’s character is also amazing. This story is about love and hate, and although the story isn’t always happy, it has a happy ending. This is a story about hope.
Peggy
I really liked this book. Tate and his younger brother Indy are skateboarders. They are both struggling teens, struggling to know themselves, to find their way. They live in the city, not the suburbs, but not the inner city poverty areas either. They exist in the border territory, a working class family with working class values. Mom and Dad love their children, but Dad isn't the best at showing it. He is volatile but not physically abusive, with the exception of one argument that goes too far. ...more
Diane Ferbrache
Tate and his brother, Indy, hang out under the bridge in Spokane to skate. They are both good enough to be sponsored and turn pro, but Indy has issues. He’s ditching school and gotten himself mixed up with the local drug dealers. Can Tate rescue him?

This is a great story about teens and the choices they make. It’s also a great look at how friends and family can both abandon and rescue each other. Tate is a strong, smart character. I really like how he steps up to help his brother. Indy is also a
Gina
Jul 20, 2013 Gina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A group of skateboarders in Spokane, Washington spend their free time in a skateboard park located under a freeway overpass. They have sworn an oath to stay drug-free after the overdose death of one of their good friends. The informal leader of the group is Tate and he is protective of his younger brother Indy. His brother is a bit of a rebel and ends getting kicked out by their dad for missing school and being disrespectful. When his brother starts dealing and using drugs Tate fights to save hi ...more
Dee
Mar 20, 2014 Dee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014
more thoughts to come...for the most part I enjoyed it...quick read, but thought provoking
Kris
Aug 20, 2015 Kris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gritty and intriguing story brings the reader into the life of teen skaters in Spokane.
Anna
Nov 09, 2012 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
This is a gritty novel. Tate's younger brother Indy gets involved with drug dealers and Tate feels he has to help him out by beating people up. There's cussing and suicide and violence and disrespecting adults. It's also a novel worth reading. It has a lot of really good messages, but not in a preachy sort of way. It does deal with some sensitive issues, so if you're a parent, keep in mind how worldly your teen is. If you're a teenager, I'm sure this just makes you want to read it more. It move ...more
Ellen
Dec 10, 2012 Ellen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tate's younger brother Indy is a talented skater slacker. After pissing his dad off one time too many, Indy is kicked out and turns to the dark side. Tate braves drug dealers, late night party scenes, and his dad's intolerance to save his brother. While I liked other books of this type somewhat better - Stick by Andrew Smith, & What Happened by Peter Johnson - this one with its' inclusion of skater slang & culture is a good one to keep in mind.
Denise (TeenBookLook)
*** Content Analysis only ***

First Glance:

Two brothers with a dysfunctional home life get in over their heads with drugs and drug dealers.

Double Take:
32 F-words
100 additional profanities (stronger than 'hell' & 'damn')
Underage drinking/drug use

Sherri
Dec 26, 2013 Sherri rated it really liked it
A riveting book about brothers, skateboarding, family dynamics, and how far one boy will go to save his older brother's life from heading down the dangerous path of drug use. The bonus is that it's set in my home state of Washington.
Lisa Collins (Lisa Likes Books)
Jan 13, 2014 Lisa Collins (Lisa Likes Books) rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Lori
Apr 08, 2013 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First, I like the author. Next, I like the raw edges given to Tate and his brother Indie. Finally, I would recommend this book to those who want a real life depiction of what happens "down there, in THOSE places."
Ifahh
Jan 07, 2013 Ifahh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another satisfying read from one of my favourite authors. This story hits home in a number of ways: I know of someone as stubborn as this...
Kaitlin
Aug 02, 2013 Kaitlin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not sugercoated, real stuff, believable, skateboarding (:D), and awesome characters and plot, so yeah it was pretty good.
Kiana
Feb 02, 2013 Kiana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Roger
This book was amazing because it was so detailed.
Renee Hall
Darker and grittier than my usual reads, but not bad.
Heather Perkinson
Pub Date Nov 13 2012
Angela Fristoe
Jan 25, 2014 Angela Fristoe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review coming soon!
Mari
Apr 24, 2013 Mari rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sophia
Sophia marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
  • I Am (Not) the Walrus
  • Getting Somewhere
  • Fitz
  • A Certain October
  • Nothing Special (Stupid Fast, #2)
  • Now Is the Time for Running
  •  Death of a Kleptomaniac
  • Living with Jackie Chan (Jumping Off Swings, #2)
  • Personal Effects