Start by marking “Boom! Boom! Boom!” as Want to Read:
Boom! Boom! Boom!

Boom! Boom! Boom!

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  22 reviews
FLASH! CRASH! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!
One rainy night, in the midst of a storm,
A brave little boy is cozy and warm.
He’s all snuggled up, safe in his room—
When “ARROOO” howls dog, “is there room?”
Of course there’s room—and all is well—
Until . . .
FLASH! CRASH! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!
What happens when too many friends start to squish in?
That’s when the fun is sure to begin!

Even the young
Published May 28th 2013 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Boom! Boom! Boom!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boom! Boom! Boom!

Aeicha
Jamie Swenson's Boom! Boom! Boom! is a fantastic and fun little story told in rhyming lines. On a stormy night, one scared little boy and his animal friends squish together in bed and bravely ride out the storm together.

Swenson writes with an addicting and charming lyrical voice and the cute rhyming verses are the perfect combination of silly and sweet. Young readers will get a kick out of the various animals who make their way into the little boy's bed and the story will leave them giggling.

Dav
Barbara
A fierce storm interrupts a young boy's reading and prompts several different animal pets to seek comfort in his bed. But togetherness can go too far, and after his sister joins the dog, cat, frog and others in the bed, it collapses. That's no problem since the boy climbs back into bed, all alone, except for his stuffed bear. Not only are the illustrations colorful, light-filled and funny, but the rhyming text is filled with much onomatopoeia ("Flash! Crash! Boom! Boom! Boom!" (unpaged)and sound ...more
Paula
I cannot wait to share this at storytimes! The kids will love it just as much as I did. Kids will love making the thunderstorm noises as well as animal and bed sounds as more and more are added to the bed. A great way to have kids predict what they think will happen.
Yarima Morfin
Boom! Boom! Boom! is engaging, funny story. I think children will really like this story. The story is adorable and enlightening. It has different animals which i think makes the whole story even more fun to read. Reading this to your child could be fun, because the way the book is written you can switch you voice to match the characters. The book rhymes which makes it even more fun and entertaining. My favorite thing about this book are the pictures, the colors are really vibrant and the charac ...more
Karen
It is a stormy night and the little boy is snuggled in his bed with his bear and a book. Then one by one all his pets (including the snake) want to get in bed because they are scared of the loud storm.

Told in a rhyming format, this is a very cute story about what happens when too many critters try to get into a twin bed. Th pictures are colorful. The text is smaller and thin, so this would be a read with me book for pre-k- 1st grade. I liked the rhyming format. Children will identify with the b
Liz
Ok, I might be a little biased since I know the author of this book (!) but Boom! Boom! Boom! by Jamie Swenson is such a fun picture book! It's perfect for snuggling together on a stormy night (with your stuffy of choice, of course!) to chase away those thunderstorm blues. The rhythmic phrases, animal noises, and the occasional BOOM! & CRASH! are sure to keep the little ones' attention throughout the story. David Walker's illustrations perfectly complement the story with bright, warm colors ...more
Richie Partington
Richie's Picks: BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! by Jamie A. Swenson and David Walker, ill., Farrar Straus Giroux, May 2013, 32p., ISBN: 978-0-374-30868-1

"A cloudburst doesn't last all day"
-- George Harrison, "All Things Must Pass"

Maria: You just stay right here with me. But where are the others?
Gretel: They're asleep; they're not scared.
[Another clap of thunder brings Brigetta, Louisa, and Marta running in.]
Maria: Oh, really? Look...All right, everyone up here on the bed.
Brigetta: Really?
Maria: Well, just th
picturethisbook.com
Boom! Boom! Boom! is the perfect book to read on cold, wet nights while snuggling under the blanket with your child. In a slight twist to the usual frightened-child tale, the boy in the story is not afraid of the thunderstorm raging outside his bedroom window. In fact, he’s getting ready to snuggle in bed with Fred, his teddy, and a book, when his frightened puppy asks to snuggle in with him, and he obliges. However, what he doesn’t anticipate is that all his other pets would also, one by one, a ...more
Morgan
I really enjoyed this book because it told the story of a young boy being generous to his friends. I think that this would be a great book for children who are good at following along with a story and staying engaged. This would be best for younger students.
Doris Fisher
I loved this sweet book with thunder, bedtime, and sweet characters. Art is superior!
Katrina Smith
Good for kids going through stress of a storm--lightening.
Cemeread
During a storm a little boy in bed with his teddy bear Fred is asked by the dog if there is room. With each series of booms another pet asks to join him until there are seven in the bed. When Sis asks to join he replies there is no room, but that desn't stop her from trying. The bed does stop trying to hold them all! This could be a fun participation story with musical instruments added for the lightening (cymbols or canastas) and thunder (blocks or sticks).

Toddlers
Sandy Brehl
This thunderstorm story Stan above many others for the stellar combination of tightly rhymed lines, dramatic word play, comical images, cumulative story elements, and a satisfying conclusion. Even in the first read-through little ones will be chiming in with sound effects.
Sharon Lawler
During a night time thunderstorm, a little boy's bed becomes quite crowded with his pets. Repetition and rhyming text provide the opportunity for the kids to participate. Reminiscent of The Mitten and The Napping House .
Meg McGregor
A very fun counting book for little ones. I really liked it until the end. I thought it would have ended better if the boy had taken his covers and pillows and slept with all of his friends on the floor.
Angie
This boy just wants to try to sleep through a thunderstorm, but his pets keep climbing into bed with him. It reminded me of The Napping House. Great use of rare words and cute illustrations.
Tracie
This would make an easy and fun puppet show for storytimes. Lots of animals crowd into bed with a young boy and his favorite book.
Edward Sullivan
A little boy's bed gets quite crowded during a thunderstorm when his many scared pets join him. A good story for reading aloud.
Allyce
Very fun book to read to children. I love the words! It is super fun for little kids to also say the storm noises.
Peacegal
This story brought back choldhood memories of hiding from thunderstorms.
Rachel
Fun cumulative picture book, some good rhymes.
PWRL
Oct 14, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013-new
A
Nicki
Nicki marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Cameron Rodman
Cameron Rodman marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Emily Giermann
Emily Giermann marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015