Start by marking “Liberation Day (Nick Stone, #5)” as Want to Read:
Liberation Day (Nick Stone, #5)

Liberation Day (Nick Stone #5)

3.8  ·  Rating Details ·  1,081 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Former SAS commando Andy McNab unleashes a non-stop whirlwind of action and intrigue in his new #1 international bestseller featuring top-secret operative Nick Stone.

Desperate to gain American citizenship and start a new life with the woman he loves, Nick Stone agrees to do one last job for the CIA. He must infiltrate an Arab republic, kill a money-laundering local busines
Published September 14th 2004 by Seal Books (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Liberation Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Liberation Day

Dec 20, 2008 Graham rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Unfortunately the law of diminishing returns seems to be hitting Andy McNab’s Nick Stone series, and hitting it hard. While Chris Ryan’s rival Geordie Sharp stories remain simple and fresh, McNab seems to be wallowing in the mundane detail of his tales as he regales us with page after page of the boring, routine day-to-day existence of an ‘undercover operator’.

This book’s set in the south of France, but the glamorous setting doesn’t really get a look in as Nick spends much of his time hiding in
Cihan rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2009
Lyndsay rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2010
Jan 25, 2016 Kelanth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action-thriller
"Sotto tiro" in originale "Liberation Day" è un libro del 2002, romanzo di azione/spionistico di Andy McNab, che è uno scrittore e militare britannico, pseudonimo dietro il quale si nasconde un ex-sergente dello Special Air Service (i corpi speciali dell'esercito britannico), noto al grande pubblico come autore di romanzi di spionaggio. Questo romanzo è del 1997, e fa appunto parte della serie "Nick Stone": in particolare questo è il secondo romanzo della serie.

L'autore è anche un saggista e nei
Aug 23, 2011 Trung rated it liked it
Probably the weakest book of the series I have read so far. Most people did say the majority of the book was made up of a lot of preparation work (which I can agree with in the world of covert operations), but the problem was it felt sort of repetitive. At least the ending portions made up for it and were a lot more crazy.
Chris Harrison
Started off well and I thought it was looking like being one of his better efforts but I felt it kind of just plodded along for large parts after the initial job with his two accomplances. Have noticed that McNabs favourite phrase when somebody gets shot/killed/beaten up seems to be "so and so was given THE GOOD NEWS"
Jan 20, 2013 Bec rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2013
The worst of this series that I have encountered so far, and I would advise only those that feel they couldn't live without reading every book in a series to read it.

It had a lot of recon and waiting and talking and shopping, and only a little action or thrilling sequences.
May 29, 2012 Brian rated it liked it
Reads like a technical manual instead of a novel for most of it. Found myself skipping large portions of pages just to get somewhere.
Jan 24, 2012 Grace rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books-read
I find these series of books baffling. Some are quite good and keep you gripped until the end and others, you can't wait to finish. This fell into the latter category in that I couldn't wait to finish it. It was enjoyable but once again you are overwhelmed with detail which sometimes doesn't add anything to the tale that is unfolding.

Despite this I will be happy to try other books in the series and I'm sure that I will continue to find the hit and miss enjoyment in them.
Feb 27, 2012 Neil rated it liked it
Not the best Nick Stone novel ever, it was a long convoluted planning stage for an operation, but as usual the action shifted up a gear in the final 25%. Most interestingly (for me) it was set in the South of France where I live, so I knew a lot of the locations and now I feel a bit like an ex-SAS hard man when I take my kids to the beach where Nick Stone had previously (fictionally) assassinated some Al-Qaeda targets.
Jim Whitefield
Apr 25, 2012 Jim Whitefield rated it it was amazing
More edge of the seat reading - a breathtaking ride as Nick Stone is enticed into another black op. The fifth in the series and still as entertaining and thrilling as the first story. Gripping stuff.
May 07, 2012 Oscar rated it really liked it
Gary Scothern
had a bit of a typical man moment and bought this, it's ok I guess although very much a man book filled with unrealistic scenarios involving guns.
Sep 29, 2012 Phoebe223 rated it it was ok
I only gave this two stars, because I got a bit lost at times. If you you read these types of books and know about these kinds of missions I think you would enjoy the book. I am a novice about these topics. I am intrigued to read more of his books despite the two star rating.
Jeff Dale
Jeff Dale rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2012
Jul 30, 2013 Johan rated it it was ok
Shelves: action
Niet slecht als tussendoortje, maar veel te veel details. Het eigenlijke verhaal verdrinkt in de onbenullige details.
Stephen Richards
Sep 18, 2013 Stephen Richards rated it liked it
A shoot-em blow-em-up airport thriller. I'm ashamed to have read it, but even more ashamed to say I quite enjoyed it.
Dec 08, 2013 Paul rated it it was amazing
Another great book by Andy McNab. I have said this before, but I enjoy how human "Nick Sone" is. He get hurt and bleeds. In other book the hero always wins without a scratch not with Nick Stone. He wins some and loose some!
Kristina Chalmain
Mar 20, 2014 Kristina Chalmain rated it really liked it
Another pageturner in the Nick Stone series by Andy McNab. While not up to for instance "Fire Wall", it is still an excellent thriller, with a realistic background in the hawala system (see for instance

Nice with a change of scene too, after many scenes in poor backwaters or djungles etc, we are suddenly in the glitzy French Riviera. Again, excellent scene descriptions that you actually enjoy reading, and plenty of humourous quips (like letting your chihuahas
Chuck Hatcher
Feb 22, 2015 Chuck Hatcher rated it liked it
Not my favorite in the series but still a good story. Like other reviews point out, it's bogged down in surveillance detail that almost becomes tedious. However McNab throws in the action at just the right spots. As with the first books in the series Stone has nicknames for objects and people which are usually endearing, but in this book the nickname "Hubba-Hubba" that he gives a teammate started to grate on my nerves even though I liked the character. I almost gave in to the urge to start skimm ...more
Apr 06, 2015 Gill rated it it was ok
I read this book for book club but didn't finish it. I got so bored with the endless detail about setting up OPs and planning. According to other reviews, he doesn't do as much of this in previous books so perhaps I was unlucky with my first McNab book.
May 02, 2016 Terry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Nick Stone is in America trying to start a new life with Carrie whom he met in the last book. Unfortunately in order to get that all important US passport that will allow him to lead this new idealistic life unhindered he needs to do a deniable ops mission is France for George, a US General and Carrie's father.

The mission this time it to stake out and take down three Arabic money men who are organising the smuggling of funds out of France and into the hands of Al-Queda. Pretty simple mission, wh
Dec 22, 2015 Spenser rated it it was ok
I started with Andy McNab's true story (Bravo Two Zero) of his Gulf War ordeal and then went on to read a couple of the initial McNab books in this series and they were decent. Picked this one up for free at the VA Hospital and glad I didnt spend real money on it. Reading reviews of some of the later Nick Stone books, coupled with this one: the Nick Stone series has run out of gas! This plods along and I found myself flipping some pages without reading, and without missing out on anything. Time ...more
Jan 27, 2016 Victor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 star for this action-packed Nick Stone-thriller. Another explosion of sensation and a real page turner. It gots you sucked into the story right from the start, and leaves you breathless for another 316 pages. It's amazing to write action this well, making you believe you're watching a movie.
Ben Benjeddi
different mission altogether, very little link with previous ones. did not enjoy as much as the others, but I guess that is the style, so love it or hate it. do not wish to spoil the end but I did not like the end of this story.
Helen rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2016
May 06, 2016 Lauren rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-read
Nick Stone agrees to one last operation in order to get his papers for the USA and be with the girl he loves. His mission is to travel to France, meeting up with two Egyptians that will help him. They are to track a boat to one of the ports and then follow the men when they leave the boat to collect three payments. These payments are being sent back to families from terrorists that are planning something in the Western world. If they capture the men the money is coming from and blow up the money ...more
Jun 07, 2016 Manoj rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you have keen sense of eye for details, then you are bang on target. A slow read that carved for some action which never seemed to come and just when you thought the action began, you realize the book has ended.
A quiet read for one of those slow days.
Phyllis Rile
Different and Difficult

"Click Click" etc. A very long book. As always, I want to try to put myself into a likable attitude about the words developed to make each chapter dedicated to the reader. I had a very hard to do so.
Dale Flower
Oct 03, 2016 Dale Flower rated it liked it
3.5 stars for this latest Nick Stone thriller.
  • The Increment (Matt Browning, #2)
  • Undersea Prison (Stratton, #4)
  • Blindfold Game
  • Hellfire
Andy McNab joined the infantry in 1976 as a boy soldier. In 1984 he was badged as a member of 22 SAS Regiment. He served in B Squadron 22 SAS for ten years and worked on both covert and overt special operations worldwide, including anti-terrorist and anti-drug operations in the Middle and Far East, South and Central America and Northern Ireland.

Trained as a specialist in counter terrorism, prime t
More about Andy McNab...

Nick Stone (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Remote Control (Nick Stone, #1)
  • Crisis Four (Nick Stone, #2)
  • Firewall (Nick Stone, #3)
  • Last Light (Nick Stone, #4)
  • Dark Winter (Nick Stone, #6)
  • Deep Black (Nick Stone, #7)
  • Aggressor (Nick Stone, #8)
  • Recoil (Nick Stone, #9)
  • Crossfire (Nick Stone, #10)
  • Brute Force (Nick Stone, #11)