Semiprecious

Semiprecious

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  212 ratings  ·  42 reviews
It's the middle of summer in Mirabeau, Texas, but already Garnet Hubbard looks forward to fall -- to entering seventh grade and becoming a teenager at last. With Opal, her beautiful and popular fourteen-year-old sister, as her guide, Garnet is sure to have a great year. But everything changes when their mother, Melanie, packs them up and heads for Nashville, determined to...more
Published July 1st 2006 by Margaret K. McElderry Books (first published June 20th 2006)

Kayla
Jan 15, 2009 Kayla rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Kathrynn
This was a really good book, because I liked how the author wrote and how she built up the plot/suspense in the story. I could never tell what was going to happen next.
Paula
Sisters Opal and Garnet, ages 14 and 12, are uprooted from their home and left with an aunt they barely know so that their mother can pursue her dream of country music stardom. It's a rough age to live through at the best of times, and it's made so much more difficult by the abrupt changes they're forced to accept. The story centers on Garnet, and is told from her point of view, but my favorite part of the book is the sisters' relationship. It just rang true to me; the sisters deal with their an...more
Lauren Creighton
I thought that this book had a great story line to it. It wasn't stuff that I could like guess what is going to happen next. Garnet and her sister Opal's small town lives change when their mother decides to follow her dreams. They go from a small town in Texas to a small town in Oklahoma, to live with their Aunt Julia. Still being in a small town setting, isn't what the girls wanted to start school in. Especially since Opal is starting high school, and Garnet is beginning jr. high. As for their...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Sally Kruger, aka "Readingjunky" for TeensReadToo.com

Garnet Hubbard is having a fairly good summer and is even excited about the prospect of entering seventh grade in the fall. Her life in Mirabeau, Texas, is filled with family and friends. All of that changes overnight.

Self-centered Melanie Hubbard, Garnet's mother, decides to seek her fortune as a country singer in Nashville. Because Garnet's father works on an oil tanker in the Gulf, Garnet and her sister are dropped off at Aunt...more
Melanie
Garnet and Opal are happy in their sheltered existence of small-town Texas. But when their mother decides to uproot them to travel to Nashville to make a name for herself in music. The girls are not happy, but they really don't have a choice, do they? They are unceremoniously dropped off at their Aunt Julia's house and mom doesn't even stay for dinner. Eventually the girls realize that their mother never intended to come back for them. Even when their father is gravelly injured, the only thing t...more
Erin Sterling
2.5 maybe. The book was kind of depressing, although I didn't get into most of the characters very well so it was less depressing than if I had thought about it more. Garnett is almost thirteen and lives a decent life in Mirabeau, Texas in the 1960s with her older (popular) sister, dad who is gone much of the time for work, and a mom who always wanted to be a famous singer and has extreme mood swings. But when her mom decides to follow her dream of singing in Nashville after a fight with her dad...more
Edith Wood
Depressing but catchy... I bought it for my sister but I read it before she even received it.
There is only one word that can describe Opal and Garnet's mother and it isn't flattering. I loved this book and I gave it to all of my friends to read as well.
This book could pluck any fluffy feathered high tailed bird of their cocky nest and bring them down to earth.
Brilliant but sad: authors have to draw their inspiration from somewhere and I dearly hope that no one had to ever go through this.
All an...more
Ashley
Such a good book but spoiler I felt bad for her dad after his accident on his job
Kay
I loved this book it is amazing u should all read it
Kelly
I really enjoyed this story of a mom who leaves her two girls with her sister while she chases her dream of being a star in Nashville. At one point, the main character talks about feelings of love and hate for her mother bouncing around inside her at the same time, and it was such a perfect description. I wish I had written down the page number so I could include an exact quote! The emotions in this book are so real you can taste 'em.
Olivia
Great book . . . love that time period. With all the changes around her she just keeps holding onto HER BELIEFS. When Principal Conley comes in Miss Mendez's art room and goes on about communisum, she stands up for her painting for history. I feel that Garnet is not semiprecious, but brave for standing up for what she believes in.
Naomi Gluck
This book was one of the best book I have ever read. One day, when I was at the library, I saw it on the shelf. I decided to read it, and I loved it. It was one of the most touching stories ever. I told my friend about it and she read it and loved it too. I was so happy I found this book.
Audra
I thought this book was darling! It is told in first-person from the point of view of 12 year-old Garnet. Her insights range from humorous to heartbreaking as she learns to live the painful decisions of her mother, while growing up in the changing times of the 60's. Great read for a young girl.
10-11 Estrella
this book is about a family that is tearing apart...wich is really sad the two sisters are going through so much trouble they just wished they were back home with there daddy at the esnd of the school year they were both happy and sad to go back to dallas,texas to there old life
Marta
Amazing book about finding yourself and who you really are. It really touched me. D. Anne Love created a strong connection between the character and the reader. I love how Garnet keeps her head up through thick and thin and always has a positive face.
Cynthia
I just happened to pick this book up at the library. It actually was a fast read- I read in one day. I thought it was easy to get into. It is from the perspective of a 13 year old girl, so definitely a girl's book.
Adrianna Costello
Set in the 60's, really nice atmosphere to this book. Sisters who are left with their aunt by their mother who runs off to fulfill Nashville dreams try to adjust to small-town life, being the outsiders...
Kerith
Aug 04, 2011 Kerith rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
This reminded me so much of Ann Martin's Here Today, and I liked it even more. The title refers to Garnet and her sister Opal, daughters of a mother more interested in fame
Sarah Key
D. Anne Love and I met almost two years ago now. I can see a lot of her in this book. It was the first book by her that I have ever read and it was my favorite by her.
Julie
Decent story about a girl and her sister who is abandoned at their aunts house when their mom runs off to try and make it big in Nashville as a country singer.
Debbie
Dec 29, 2010 Debbie added it
Enjoyable characters - some likable, some not so likable.
Nice story about growing up and dealing life's diffultie's caused by adults who haven't grown up.
Kayla
If this was a movie it would be amazing, it would be watched a lot. It's heartbreaking movie that would be watched on a lot of channels.
Emma the Dork
i didnt really enjoy it, but i dont know. it didnt really have a happy ending and it was really sad. its hard to give it a review.
Lauren
It was amazing. I couldn't put it down! The characters were developed very well and i was never confused. I will definitely read it again!
Chloe
Nov 29, 2008 Chloe rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any girl!
This book was really good. I never wanted it to end! I hope that there is a second one or I'll be reading this one over and over!
Jane
I read this book to see if it would be a good book for my 12 year old daughter to read and I really enjoyed it!
Rebecca E.
I really thought this book was great. It is kind of simular to some books I read but it was still great.
Daislee
Never read a book twice in my life !!! I made an exception for the exceptional book!!!:)
Cheryl S.
Quick read, slice of life from the 1960s. Kind of disappointed with the ending.
Samantha
Jul 15, 2008 Samantha rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: a good book to read
Recommended to Samantha by: ME
A great story that some people could relate to! it really is a real adventure!
  • Homefront
  • As If Being 12 3/4 Isn't Bad Enough, My Mother Is Running for President!
  • M+O 4EVR
  • The Voyage of Patience Goodspeed
  • The Beef Princess of Practical County
  • The September Sisters
  • Keeper of the Doves
  • White Sands, Red Menace (Green Glass #2)
  • Gringolandia
  • The Healing Spell
  • The Good Girl's Guide to Getting Kidnapped
  • Blood Brothers
  • The Rising Star of Rusty Nail
  • Rush
I was born in western Tennessee, the eldest of four children. My father was a lover of books who taught me to read even before I started school. My mother was (and still is!) the world’s best mom and a lover of music who sang in the kitchen as she taught me to cook.

I enjoyed playing games and riding bikes but my favorite activity was reading. Among my favorite authors were Lois Lenski, Louisa May...more
More about D. Anne Love...
Picture Perfect Defying the Diva The Puppeteer's Apprentice Of Numbers and Stars: The Story of Hypatia I Remember the Alamo