Start by marking “Sunset Across India (Sunset, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sunset Across India (Sunset, #1)

Sunset Across India (Sunset #1)

Published May 28th 1997 by Barnes & Noble (first published May 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Sunset Across India, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sunset Across India

Aurora
This is published by Bookcraft. If it wasn't, I'm not sure I'd have noticed it's supposed to be Christian romance until the end, which is nice I guess? At first I almost felt like Bookcraft only published it because it didn't contain sex scenes but the religion undertones become more prominent as more things happen.

The romantic element was... Bad. She gets stung by a scorpion and he helps her so she tracks him down to say thanks. He thinks she's pretty and unusual-looking because she's biracial
Michelle Llewellyn
Apr 24, 2014 Michelle Llewellyn rated it it was ok
I read this over ten years ago and now that I've had the opportunity to re-read it again, I've upped my original rating from one star to two. The story is interesting enough but the narration is long and windy, the pacing drags and the characters who slip in and out of Charlotte's life are all easily forgettable, save one. The man with a woman's name, Karan.
He is the mysterious Edward Cullen hero of the story, despised by everyone because of what he is and unable to fight for Charlotte because
Caranna
Jun 26, 2013 Caranna rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds-fiction
I enjoy reading books by Susan Evans McCloud but this one was not what I expected. It is set in the early 1800s in British India and reads like a Victorian Era novel. I had a hard time getting into it because the pacing was so slow.
The book is filled with beautiful descriptions and gives the reader an in depth look into what it might have been like to live in British India.
Everything goes wrong in poor Charlotte's life. In her 21 years she has suffered much and has had to make horrible decisio
Nora Ray
Jul 03, 2014 Nora Ray rated it liked it
Better than I expected. Lots of India detail made it interesting.
Maria
Apr 12, 2010 Maria rated it it was ok
Julie
Jan 30, 2010 Julie rated it it was amazing
I liked this book despite it's slow beginning. It reads a lot like Victorian Era novels about India. I was a little frustrated by the slower pace and the shallowness of the supportive characters. However, by the end of the story I was caught up enough to want to read the next instalment. If you can stay with the story long enough you find that you care about Charlotte and what happens to her and by the books end you're glad you stayed with it.
Michelle
Mar 01, 2010 Michelle rated it it was ok
What a depressing book!! Everything goes wrong in this poor girl's life. I can't understand how people rated this 5 stars. Unfortunately this is a trilogy so I'm not finished with the story yet. I'm hoping by reading the next two I'll feel a little more resolved.
Susan
Feb 11, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it
So many twists and turns, but I did get a feel for what it would have been like to live in British India. It wasn't surprising the decisions Charlotte is forced to make--to keep a roof over her head. But I think it is her half Indian blood that gives her strength.
Charissa
Sep 11, 2011 Charissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
This is Book 1 in trilogy. I read it a decade ago or more and had forgotten everything about it. I really liked it again. It is set in early 1800s British India and I found the lifestyle, culture and land that it talked about very intriguing.
Dahlene
Sep 16, 2008 Dahlene rated it really liked it
This book was easy to read. I felt bad for the main character. In her short 21 years of life she suffered much, but endured well. I am reading the second one to see if her life gets better. I enjoy Susan Evans McCloud. She's fun to read.
Stephanie
Dec 18, 2010 Stephanie rated it really liked it
I liked the book although I did not know this was the first in a series before I started. It doesn't really resolve itself before the end of the book, so you have to read the next book, which I suspect will lead to another book.
Christy VanDerwerken
Jan 23, 2010 Christy VanDerwerken rated it really liked it
I gave this book 4 stars because I liked learning about India and some customs there and that kind of thing. It was interesting and I do want to read the rest of the series.
Melissa T
Apr 12, 2009 Melissa T rated it really liked it
Really liked this, as far as LDS Fiction goes. Smooth writing, interesting characters, beautiful descriptions.
Holly Kartchner
Sep 05, 2009 Holly Kartchner rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds-books
One of my favorite books as a young teen that I'd love to read again.
Miriam
Jun 10, 2009 Miriam rated it it was amazing
This was a great book... but you MUST read the rest of the series!
Kris
Dec 01, 2008 Kris rated it it was amazing
This is the first in the series. Excellent!
Addie
Addie rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2016
Nicole King
Nicole King marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
Laralyn
Laralyn rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2016
Kathy G.
Kathy G. marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Harney Wayne
Harney Wayne rated it liked it
May 15, 2016
Carissa
Carissa rated it really liked it
May 12, 2016
Jan
Jan added it
Feb 12, 2016
Hilary Thomas
Hilary Thomas rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2015
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2015
Teresa D
Teresa D rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2015
Amanda Pack
Amanda Pack marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Jessica Cooper
Jessica Cooper marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

Sunset (3 books)
  • Sunset Across the Waters (Sunset, #2)
  • Sunset across the Rockies (Sunset, #3)