Start by marking “The Shadow Girl” as Want to Read:
The Shadow Girl

The Shadow Girl

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  473 ratings  ·  83 reviews
Sometimes I forget for an hour or two that she's with me. Sometimes I convince myself that she was only a dream. Or that I'm crazy.

For as long as Lily Winston can remember, she has never been alone. Iris, a shadowy figure who mimics Lily's movements and whispers in her ear, is with her always—but invisible to the rest of the world. Iris is Lily's secret.

But when Lily's fat
Published April 9th 2013 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about The Shadow Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shadow Girl

Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadUnravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
YA Novels of 2013
317th out of 1,501 books — 10,341 voters
Clockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareUnravel Me by Tahereh MafiEverbound by Brodi AshtonBoundless by Cynthia HandLet the Sky Fall by Shannon Messenger
Amazing Covers of 2013
151st out of 452 books — 967 voters

More lists with this book...

Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
My grandmother makes the best bean stew. (I realize this is an unusual review opener, but bear with me just a little while.) Yes, my grandmother’s bean stew is quite the celebrity in my family. I don’t know how she does it, but it’s not like she’s keeping it a secret… quite the opposite, in fact. She shared her recipe and showed me how it’s done many, many times. But although I’m a pretty decent cook (if I do say so myself), I always end up with something else entirely. A pretty good be
Mitch
The Shadow Girl may quite possibly be the most pointless thing I've ever read. In fact, my last three attempts at writing a coherent review were all derailed by just how much I dislike this book, so rather than start fresh with attempt number four, I think I’ll borrow Troy Steele’s psychologist and hopefully we’ll have something.

Doctor: Do you really hate The Shadow Girl that much?
Patient: Yeah...

Doctor: And why is that?
Patient: *gives Doc his best you’ve got to be kidding me look* Well, you see
Blythe
Actual Rating: 2.5 stars

It's not a rare occurrence, especially not in young adult, where a book's romance, and the large focus on it, often leads to the entire book's downfall. To even check myself on this, I asked on Twitter which books my followers thought would have been better if it hadn't been for the romance, and I received a wide variety of different answers, ranging from Daughter of Smoke and Bone to The Madman's Daughter.

The Shadow Girl is another book worth adding to that list of books
Wendy Darling
The mystery behind the story is so interesting--but unfortunately, it actively only takes up maybe 10% of the story. (The subject that is key to the mystery has also been explored much better in numerous recent YA books, including some exceptionally good ones from the same publisher.)The rest of the book focuses on an utterly predictable and annoying love triangle, as well as an assortment of half-hearted connections with other characters that never really go anywhere.

A bit more of a review to
Nobonita
YOU CAN NOW WIN AN ARC of this book + the goodies shown in the image below at this link: http://perrytheplatypus1102-3daydream...

GIVEAWAY IS INTERNATIONAL

A.G. Howard
I got to read this in the early phases and it's so good. An emotional thrill ride of self-discovery through the eyes of a teenage girl whose own shadow holds the key to her purpose and place in the world. There's a great twist at the end that when I looked back made perfect sense -- yet I never saw it coming. One part haunting mystery, one part soft sci-fi, the only thing this book will leave you wanting for is more of Ms. Archer's beautiful prose and vivid imagination.
Leigh Herondale
RATING: 5/5 STARS

First of all, I would like to say thank you to A.G. Howard for sending me a signed ARC (This comes out on April, BTW.) of The Shadow Girl by Jennifer Archer. Honestly, I didn't know what to expect from this one when I found out that I won it from A.G. Howard's giveaway so I didn't really know what I was getting into. I did read the synopsis on Goodreads but for some reason it was still a bit vague for me so I was pretty much intrigued and excited at the same time. Anyway, the n
Wanda (Good Choice Reading)
When Harper sent Shadow Girl to us to review, I was completely stoked. The blurb sounded so intriguing. I have always loved to get my hands on a good suspense book. And once I grabbed Shadow Girl, tragedy opened the book. It was the Lily's birthday and in a freak accident her father dies. That's where everything begins. Where the mystery starts. I started immediately thinking "Was that 'accident' really an accident"?

From the beginning of the book, you know there's a big secret and I couldn't w
Julianna Helms
Mar 29, 2013 Julianna Helms marked it as to-read-or-not-to-read
The writing in the first paragraph of the blurb is gorgeous. Excited! :D
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Though The Shadow Girl has a potentially hard-hitting premise, the end result doesn't really wow. I feel like I probably should have disliked this, but I didn't really; instead I feel largely ambivalent towards it. I've got a fair amount of criticisms to deliver, but, overall, this was a nice easy read, and wasn't a struggle to get through.

On the plus side, there's the concept of Lily having this other person in her brain, Iris. At the beginning the reader doesn't know why Iris is in her head or
Kelly
Frustratingly delightful, The Shadow Girl masterfully leaked out hints at life-changing secrets and sinister intentions, all while keeping the reader in the dark for most of its duration. With a headstrong and confident heroine, who spends much of The Shadow Girl confused yet determined, and an interesting twist to explain Iris’ existence, The Shadow Girl is a must read for all science fiction and paranormal fans!

Told from Lily’s PoV, The Shadow Girl succeeded in keeping me in constant suspense
Savannah (Books With Bite)
Mysterious and moving, I got sucked into this book REAL fast. I can’t pinpoint it, but this book had me really thinking…

The plot of the book is really gripping. Lily has never been along. Hidden away from the world, Lily lives in secluded place knowing very few trusted people. But why??? That is question. When her fathers dies, Lily is asking questions about his last statement to her. I have to admit that when her dad muttered those words, hook…line…sinker… I sat down, devour the book page and p
Jessica
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway. I was so excited to read it once I got it it only took a week to read. It was one of the best books I read in the past couple of months. I loved the mystery of it! It was not like some books were I can predict what will happen next. I had know idea of what to expect! The romance was predictable but, I loved the characters so it made the love triangle enjoyable!
Froska E
Well i received The Shadow Girl book from a GoodReads giveaway and i start reading is right away. It was so easy to read and so hart to leave it. You like to know more and more what is going on. I hope there will be part 2 cause there are so many anfinihed staff leaved at the the end. But great book i will recommended to everyone.
Audrey Streetman
This book captured me from page one and didn't let go. The premise is original and suspense carries the reader to a surprise ending. This book may be considered YA, but this adult loved Lilly and Iris. Highly recommend.
Audrey Streetman, poet and author.
Margarita Lopez
I truly enjoyed reading Shadow Girl. It is a medley of mystery/suspense, romance and adventure. I liked Lily's romance triangle: choice of mysterious newcomer vs. the familiar boy-next-door. Shadow Girl is worth reading.
Stories & Sweeties {Becky}
This is the story of Lily and Iris. Lily lives a fairly normal life, except for one thing---she has always had a voice in her head, a consciousness inside her apart from her own. For the most part, she thinks nothing of it, it's all she's ever known. They support eachother, cheer eachother; it's a second opinion, another idea. It's Iris.

But what is Iris, really? And what is this big mysterious danger that her parents seem to think she needs protecting from? That's where the real story lies. I en
Stephanie Ward
4.5 Stars

'The Shadow Girl' is an enthralling and fully captivating young adult fantasy/mystery novel that follows Lily Winston after the tragic death of her father rips her family apart. After overhearing a strange conversation between her parents and her father's final - and cryptic - words to her, Lily begins to wonder what big secret her parents have been keeping from her. The shadowy figure inside Lily's consciousness and mind - Iris - begins to push Lily to find out what her parent's are hi
Zachary Flye
Real rating 4.5 stars

For more reviews on MANY YA novels check out my review site Zach's YA Reviews (Zach's YA Reviews)

Protagonist: All her life Lily has had a special friend who whispers inside her, Iris is her name. Throughout this book Lily and Iris have to discover how it is that they're linked and who or what exactly Iris is. During the story they find clue after clue that begins to shake Lily to her core. She's confused and without her father's comfort, and with her mother being so distant
BookChic Club
WOW. I really enjoyed this book and didn't see the twist coming. Archer has written a fantastically creepy, suspenseful read. It's a fairly slow book though, building up to the climax steadily. What kept me going was Lily's voice and the need to figure out who Iris was.

I also liked Lily's interactions with Ty and seeing that relationship develop and also seeing her friendship with Wyatt and how Ty's presence created a rift between them. Watching Lily's mom do a little descent into madness (or i
Karin
Just finished reading Shadow Girl. I have read a few other of Jennfer's book and I think this is by far her best one yet. I loved the chemistry between Lily and her mother, lily and her best friend Wyatt, and the mysterious new boy in town.

I couldn't put the book down after starting it. It kept me guessing until the end.

the only disappointment was that the book ended. I have to admit I fell a little bit in love with Wyatt, and want to see what happens next. And now that Lily knows the truth ab
Charms
An easy read, some good points, but lacking something too. The premise was good, the main character, her best male friend, and her father were likeable, the writing flowed well and kept me intruiged, but the book ultimately fell short. The big mystery surrounding Iris was so easily guessed that the climax fell flat. The conclusion seemed slapped together. The character development was shallow for several key characters, and it was hard to develop a trust for either the lead male love interest or ...more
Sara Tuchscher
I was lucky enough to receive an advanced copy of The Shadow Girl. While it took me a while to find the time, once I started to read it was a quick read. The Shadow Girl is a book with some mystery and some predictability. While it was not my favorite read, I thought it raised an interesting issue about a current issue. I enjoyed the creative perspective provided by the author!
Neeka Rogers
Just finished this book with tears streaming down my face. What an incredible story that kept me guessing throughout most of the book. Beautifully written, I feel like I got to know Lily. The concept is fascinating, and I believe one day may not be fiction anymore.
Lexi
This book is AMAZING. So intense. I love it. I could read it again and again and I'm not one to like much books but I love this one , I could feel as if I was there and connecting to each character. Amazing book!
Zeddd
Apr 13, 2013 Zeddd rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
This was a unique storyline and I genuinely enjoyed it! I'm hoping there's a sequel but I doubt there will be one LOL finished it in 5 hours and I would recommend it :)
Brad
I was hoping for more creepiness, but still, The Shadow Girl was really, really good!

Look for my full review soon!
Louisa Vorster
Definitely different but also interesting. Just can't decide which guy is the one she should choose?! haha
Jane Young
Fast fun read. A supernatural read with a realistic setting.
  • Furious
  • Pretty Dark Nothing (Pretty Dark Nothing, #1)
  • White Lines
  • Vengeance Bound
  • The Murmurings
  • Life After Theft
  • Revel
  • Transparent (Transparent, #1)
  • The Dollhouse Asylum
  • The Art of Wishing (The Art of Wishing, #1)
  • The Gathering Dark
  • Hysteria
  • Notes from Ghost Town
  • Pretty Girl-13
  • The Beautiful and the Cursed (The Dispossessed, #1)
  • Tides
  • Dance of Shadows (Dance of Shadows, #1)
  • Dead River
At the age of ten, Jennifer Archer made up her mind to become a writer. Then she grew up, became “sensible,” and earned a business degree with a minor in accounting instead. After years of trying to find her way through a confusing maze of debits and credits she realized that, for her, accounting was no more sensible than becoming a World Federation wrestler. So in 1993, she enrolled in a creative ...more
More about Jennifer Archer...
Through Her Eyes Heat Wave The Me I Used to Be Sandwiched My Perfectly Imperfect Life