The Grand Finale

The Grand Finale

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  6,321 ratings  ·  396 reviews
From the #1 New York Times bestselling author comes a revised, repackaged novel sure to please her many fans. She writes "high speed comic mayhem" (Detroit Free Press); she's "a blast of fresh air" (Washington Post); "side-splitting funny" (Publishers Weekly) and "a winner" (Glamour). In other words, she's Janet Evanovich.

Berry Knudson had a talent for disaster, but when s...more
Audio CD, 5 pages
Published February 24th 2009 by HarperAudio (first published 1988)

April
Bought while waiting for my sister to finish shopping.

Summary:

Girl: [stupid/clumsy/love-burned/focused:] I am stupid and clumsy and love-burned and focused!
Boy: [good-looking/rich/persistent/patient:] I am good-looking and rich and persistent and patient!

Girl: I don't want to fall in love!
Boy: Let's have sex!

Girl: I don't want to have sex!
Boy: Yes you do!
Girl: Okay!

Secondary characters: [crazy/helpful-but-in-an-unhelpful-way/judgmental/analogies:] We are crazy and helpful-in-an-unhelpful-way and...more
Tammy
A cute little G-rated romance written in typical Evanovich style. Not my favorite book by the author. Not even a close 2nd. I prefer the Stephanie Plum series, but in reading the author's earlier works it is obvious how the Plum series developed.

The Grand Finale opens in screwball comedy style when Berry is delivering a pizza to hunky schoolteacher, Jake, and ends up seeing him in his birthday suit. Throw in a big goofy dog (Bob), three little old ladies (think Grandma Mazur), and a couple of b...more
Sandie
If you need a break from all those depressing books with "messages" or the grisly murder mysteries with a gallon of blood on every page and just want a bit of "fluff" to pass a few hours and give you a couple of chuckles then THE GRAND FINALE by Janet Evanovich might be just what the doctor ordered.

No Stephanie Plum in this tale. Instead, this story of a quirky divorcee who owns a pizza joint, attends college, rescues little old ladies living in bus stations and rates an above average in the kl...more
Cute little bit of fluff. It has all the marks of an Evanovich romance: Cars destoyed and or stolen? Check. Little old ladies? Check. Floppy dog that eats anything? Check. Plucky heroine? Check. Too good to be true sexy man meat? Check.

Sadly the plot on this was rather thin. Berry is our girl in this one and she is so sweet she sends girlscouts into diabetic shock. She is divorced from an icey cold husband who cheated on her but doesn't hate him. She went back to school after the divorce to get...more
Sandie
This was the last book in her romance series and I loved them all but this was one of the best of them! A lot of people don't like romance, its to unrealistic or cheesy for them. Janet Evanovich does end her stories happily and they might be a bit cheesy, but I'm reading a book I don't want a big dose of reality here. I want to escape my reality for a minute and that is something she does brilliantly with all her books.

These romances are so funny. The characters are very realistic with problems...more
Julie (jjmachshev)
"The Grand Finale" was not, in my opinion, one of Janet Evanovich's best earlier works. The story never quite gelled and moved entirely too quickly to ring true. It's a G rated romance with lots of quirky humor...maybe just a bit too much.

The story is the tale of a young, divorcee who is struggling to get by with her pizza business while finishing college. Since her first marriage derailed her life plan, she's now determined to stick with her goals without deviation. And none of those goals invo...more
Melissa
This was the worst Evanovich book I have read to date. It was the same cheesy romance as the rest of her earlier books. But girl meets guy by spying on him while he is changing. And when she finally sees him naked eventually, he says something along the lines of "See it is more than a few inches." Ewww. The girl's name is Lingdonberry, which is the worst name I have ever heard for a character. There are three random old ladies thrown in, and I am not really even sure where they came from. There...more
Jen
This was one of those browsing-for-something-for-a-long-car-ride accidental finds, and I do like Janet Evanovich, and she is funny.
This is touted as "early Evanovich" so her fans will read it, and it's true, I can definitely see Alex Barnaby, Stephanie Plum, Ranger, and Grandma Mazur prototypes. This is more straight-up romance, though, which is less my style. But it was funny, and charming, and quick, and really good for the long car ride.

So why does it only get two stars? Let me be one of thos...more
Not a bad little story. It was a quick, easy read with no deep plots or things to think about, which is nice. I laughed out loud quite a few times, which hardly ever happens when I read. The story itself was an interesting one I thought, with cute little twists and turns and funny characters. My main problem is just how fast Berry and Jake fell in love, moved in together, got engaged, etc. It was just unrealistic. I get that Jake is good looking and so she falls in lust with him, but I'm still n...more
Debbie
In a short amount of time, Berry Knudsen was able to see a half naked man, which caused her to fall out of a tree, land on a large pizza, then she had to watch her own Jeep fly off a cliff, see two different cars get stolen and watch her apartment burn to ash. The next week she was living with Jake Sawyer in his unfurnished Victorian style home with three old ladies, all while she was still trying to run her pizza place, and go back to school. Luckily Jake was a 1st grade teacher and had the pat...more
Jenny
JenniferJ
I love most anything by Janet because most of her books are light and fluff filled and The Grand Finale was no exception however I must say after the first chapter this particular story just got to fast for me. I think the romance should have taken a bit longer but then theres always the love at first sight angle...

Berry is a mess. I loved her character so much. She was just a comedy of tragic events waiting to happen and that poor man, Jake happens to get caught right up in the middle of her li...more
Robyn Brown
I come back to this book every time I need to happy break - a push to chill out. I've lost count how many times I've read it, and it always puts me in a good mood. Berry Knudsen is trying to get her life back on track. She has a plan: finish school, work at her pizza place, get married, etc. But life gets in the way in the form of three really adorable old ladies and Jake Sawyer, who meets Berry and has a plan of his own.

I really love Evanovich's early romance series - they're light, funny and...more
Liriel27
I use the Stephanie Plum series as brain-candy, so I was looking forward to more of the same when someone lent me this. Unfortunately, I just wan't able to get into the story. The characters felt more like stereotypes, and while I realize that is, to an extent, what she was shooting for, it's just a bit dull. This reads like someone who hasn't really found a voice yet, but is gamely making do with a mishmash of borrowed plot devices (hot man, plucky divorcee, nosy and slightly inappropriate old...more
Dawn
This is the last of Janet Evanovich's romance novels from back when she first started writing. I do like them even though I'm not generally a fan of romance novels. This stuff doesn't happen in real life, but I do find them amusing.

I also like Janet Evanovich's quote:

"Romance novels are birthday cake and life is peanut butter and jelly...everyone should have lots of delicious romance novels lying around for those times when the peanut butter of life gets stuck to the roof of your mouth." - 1988
Denise
I needed a bit of a break from all the serious fiction and fantasy books I have been reading lately and this was perfect. It's a light, cute book that was enjoyable. The beginning of the book was good with Berry climbing up a tree to help save a poor kitten and then the lights went on...I'll leave it there because it was a good start to the book and I don't want to spoil it for you. If you're in the mood for something light and cute, this is probably a good bet! Enjoy!!
Marni
I read all of Janet Evanovich, even the 12 books that were reprinted after she became such a popular author. This is the last of the 12 to be re-issued, and I am so glad that we are done with them. Formulaic, silly, a bit enjoyable but less so as I read more and more of them. I still love the Stephanie Pum novels, but the straight romance novels simply are not as good.

Best thing is that they are VERY fast reads!
Lisarenee
If your suffering from Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series withdrawl you may want to check this book out. Girl meets handsome guy in the most unusual of circumstances. One dog, two compromised cars, three old ladies, and a partridge in a pear tree later (just kidding about the partridge and tree) you get one funny romance that will tickle your funny bone and appease your need for Plum.
Karen
In general, I think the Stephanie Plum "mystery" series is kind of funny. They are easy read, romantic escapism...like what you read after finishing War and Peace and you need a break.

This was not a Stephanie Plum book but a librarian told me it was funny...either I'm getting pickier or this was a toss off because I barely finished it....and didn't really care if I did.
Debbie
This book is pure fluff. One of J.E.'s first attempts at writing a novel. It was updated and re-released under the assumption that the author's loyal fans would flock to the stores to buy it. If you're a die-hard fan, I'd recommend borrowing it from the library (but only if you've run out of stuff to read). Don't waste your money on this one.
Terri
Berry owns a pizza shop and is making a delivery one night when she finds a kitten stuck in a tree (only while up there she discovers an undressing Jake only to fall and make quite an introduction. Jake is smitten and Berry fights against her feelings because they upset her life plan. A cute and funny romance that is a light and quick read
Penny
I can't believe I actually bought this book. Most of all I can't believe Janet Evanovich bothered to write it!!
I forgot to add that I was amused to see that even in 1988 Evanovich liked to destroy her protagonists' cars.
Barbara
The worse book I've read in five years. Incredibly poor character development. Potentially "cute" plot ruined because this book appears to have been written in about 48 hours. The JE has more potential than this!
Kim
May 28, 2009 Kim rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kim by: Erin
Wow! I really needed a happy, uplifting book and this was perfect. Easy, quick, funny, no one died, and best of all...happy ending! YAY!
Christiana
Lame, contrived, boring. This is my first try at Evanovich and I am not impressed at all.
JJ
I think it was supposed to be funny. I found it stupid.
Hany Grace
this novel is a really sweet read . . i gave it four stars because although the story was good , i think that the story happened really fast . well i like stories that doesn't have to include all those crappy things in the beginning that just makes the story long and boring 'cause i prefer those that are cut to the chase , but in this one , it was just so fast ! it was a RUSH but i find it interesting nevertheless . . i never got bored reading this because although the progress was fast , the ev...more
Mary
This is one of Janet's earlier out of print romance books that has been republished due to the success of her Stephanie Plum series and other new titles. The Grand Finale was among the worst of her republished romances. The premise and story were so unbelievable that it was almost humorous. Yes, I know it's fiction, but really? The only good thing is it was short, so I didn't waste too much time reading this book. I had to give it 2 stars instead of 1, because it was so ridiculous, I had to laug...more
Andrea Guy
You can see the evolution of Plum in some of Janet's early romances that she wrote for the Loveswept line in the 80s. This one is particularly Plummy with cars getting stolen and smashed, and little old ladies running amuck! It all comes nicely packaged with the trademark Evanovich humor.

If you don't like a little or a lot of silliness in your books, you should stay away from these. There's nothing realistic about these books, just a whole lot of fun and laughter. Plus how can you not love a her...more
Jen
At this point we all know I love Janet Evanovich. This was again one of her pre-Plum romances. Honestly, I love them the most! They are all somewhat similar, and of course have formulas. But I don't care. They are cute, witty, crazy little circumstances, always with a fun main character, sometimes ditsy, this one (Berri) wasn't, and have a hunk of a man for them, with crazy supporting characters. You can definitely see the development of Stephanie Plum's character and story line, and supporting...more
  • Celtic Fire (Druids of Avalon, #1)
  • Patrick's Destiny (The Devaneys #4)
  • Heart of Gold (Loveswept, No 393; Rainbow Chasers, #1)
  • Wild Jinx (Cajun, #7)
  • Rock My World (The Wrong Bed) (Harlequin Blaze #215)
  • Claimed By a Scottish Lord (Mystical Bliss, #2)
  • Cold Midnight
  • Frontier Courtship
  • Good Girls Don't
  • Gingham Bride (Buttons and Bobbins #1)
  • The Plot Thickens
  • The Captive (Harlequin Blaze, #534)
  • The Naked Truth
  • Summer Lovin' (Costas Sisters, #2)
  • The Notorious Scoundrel (The Hawkins Brothers #2)
  • Serpent Moon (A Tale of the Sazi, #8)
  • Charlie All Night
  • Nerd Gone Wild (Nerds, #3)
More about Janet Evanovich...
One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, #1) Two for the Dough (Stephanie Plum, #2) Three to Get Deadly (Stephanie Plum, #3) Four to Score (Stephanie Plum, #4) Hot Six (Stephanie Plum, #6)

“Throwing up is not a group activity” 4 likes