Start by marking “The Grand Finale” as Want to Read:
The Grand Finale

The Grand Finale (Loveswept Romance)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  7,326 ratings  ·  429 reviews
From the #1 New York Times bestselling author comes a revised, repackaged novel sure to please her many fans. She writes "high speed comic mayhem" (Detroit Free Press); she's "a blast of fresh air" (Washington Post); "side-splitting funny" (Publishers Weekly) and "a winner" (Glamour). In other words, she's Janet Evanovich.

Berry Knudson had a talent for disaster, but when s
Audio CD, 5 pages
Published February 24th 2009 by HarperAudio (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Grand Finale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Grand Finale

Bought while waiting for my sister to finish shopping.

Girl: [stupid/clumsy/love-burned/focused:] I am stupid and clumsy and love-burned and focused!
Boy: [good-looking/rich/persistent/patient:] I am good-looking and rich and persistent and patient!

Girl: I don't want to fall in love!
Boy: Let's have sex!

Girl: I don't want to have sex!
Boy: Yes you do!
Girl: Okay!

Secondary characters: [crazy/helpful-but-in-an-unhelpful-way/judgmental/analogies:] We are crazy and helpful-in-an-unhelpful-way and
A cute little G-rated romance written in typical Evanovich style. Not my favorite book by the author. Not even a close 2nd. I prefer the Stephanie Plum series, but in reading the author's earlier works it is obvious how the Plum series developed.

The Grand Finale opens in screwball comedy style when Berry is delivering a pizza to hunky schoolteacher, Jake, and ends up seeing him in his birthday suit. Throw in a big goofy dog (Bob), three little old ladies (think Grandma Mazur), and a couple of b
This was the last book in her romance series and I loved them all but this was one of the best of them! A lot of people don't like romance, its to unrealistic or cheesy for them. Janet Evanovich does end her stories happily and they might be a bit cheesy, but I'm reading a book I don't want a big dose of reality here. I want to escape my reality for a minute and that is something she does brilliantly with all her books.

These romances are so funny. The characters are very realistic with problems
This was the worst Evanovich book I have read to date. It was the same cheesy romance as the rest of her earlier books. But girl meets guy by spying on him while he is changing. And when she finally sees him naked eventually, he says something along the lines of "See it is more than a few inches." Ewww. The girl's name is Lingdonberry, which is the worst name I have ever heard for a character. There are three random old ladies thrown in, and I am not really even sure where they came from. There ...more
Cute little bit of fluff. It has all the marks of an Evanovich romance: Cars destoyed and or stolen? Check. Little old ladies? Check. Floppy dog that eats anything? Check. Plucky heroine? Check. Too good to be true sexy man meat? Check.

Sadly the plot on this was rather thin. Berry is our girl in this one and she is so sweet she sends girlscouts into diabetic shock. She is divorced from an icey cold husband who cheated on her but doesn't hate him. She went back to school after the divorce to get
If you need a break from all those depressing books with "messages" or the grisly murder mysteries with a gallon of blood on every page and just want a bit of "fluff" to pass a few hours and give you a couple of chuckles then THE GRAND FINALE by Janet Evanovich might be just what the doctor ordered.

No Stephanie Plum in this tale. Instead, this story of a quirky divorcee who owns a pizza joint, attends college, rescues little old ladies living in bus stations and rates an above average in the kl
Julie (jjmachshev)
"The Grand Finale" was not, in my opinion, one of Janet Evanovich's best earlier works. The story never quite gelled and moved entirely too quickly to ring true. It's a G rated romance with lots of quirky humor...maybe just a bit too much.

The story is the tale of a young, divorcee who is struggling to get by with her pizza business while finishing college. Since her first marriage derailed her life plan, she's now determined to stick with her goals without deviation. And none of those goals invo
This was one of those browsing-for-something-for-a-long-car-ride accidental finds, and I do like Janet Evanovich, and she is funny.
This is touted as "early Evanovich" so her fans will read it, and it's true, I can definitely see Alex Barnaby, Stephanie Plum, Ranger, and Grandma Mazur prototypes. This is more straight-up romance, though, which is less my style. But it was funny, and charming, and quick, and really good for the long car ride.

So why does it only get two stars? Let me be one of thos
Not a bad little story. It was a quick, easy read with no deep plots or things to think about, which is nice. I laughed out loud quite a few times, which hardly ever happens when I read. The story itself was an interesting one I thought, with cute little twists and turns and funny characters. My main problem is just how fast Berry and Jake fell in love, moved in together, got engaged, etc. It was just unrealistic. I get that Jake is good looking and so she falls in lust with him, but I'm still n ...more
In a short amount of time, Berry Knudsen was able to see a half naked man, which caused her to fall out of a tree, land on a large pizza, then she had to watch her own Jeep fly off a cliff, see two different cars get stolen and watch her apartment burn to ash. The next week she was living with Jake Sawyer in his unfurnished Victorian style home with three old ladies, all while she was still trying to run her pizza place, and go back to school. Luckily Jake was a 1st grade teacher and had the pat ...more
I love most anything by Janet because most of her books are light and fluff filled and The Grand Finale was no exception however I must say after the first chapter this particular story just got to fast for me. I think the romance should have taken a bit longer but then theres always the love at first sight angle...

Berry is a mess. I loved her character so much. She was just a comedy of tragic events waiting to happen and that poor man, Jake happens to get caught right up in the middle of her li
Barbara ★
Once burned, twice shy Berry Knudsen is very leery of the cute guy who has taken an interest in her. It's kind of funny how Berry turns into a klutz whenever Jake Sawyer is around. Berry is one of those woman who is just good-people, rescuing little old ladies from being homeless and even though she can barely afford to feed herself, moves them into her apartment and has them working in her pizza restaurant. And then along comes Jake whom she meets while delivering a pizza and things go all tops ...more
Robyn Brown
I come back to this book every time I need to happy break - a push to chill out. I've lost count how many times I've read it, and it always puts me in a good mood. Berry Knudsen is trying to get her life back on track. She has a plan: finish school, work at her pizza place, get married, etc. But life gets in the way in the form of three really adorable old ladies and Jake Sawyer, who meets Berry and has a plan of his own.

I really love Evanovich's early romance series - they're light, funny and
I use the Stephanie Plum series as brain-candy, so I was looking forward to more of the same when someone lent me this. Unfortunately, I just wan't able to get into the story. The characters felt more like stereotypes, and while I realize that is, to an extent, what she was shooting for, it's just a bit dull. This reads like someone who hasn't really found a voice yet, but is gamely making do with a mishmash of borrowed plot devices (hot man, plucky divorcee, nosy and slightly inappropriate old ...more
This is the last of Janet Evanovich's romance novels from back when she first started writing. I do like them even though I'm not generally a fan of romance novels. This stuff doesn't happen in real life, but I do find them amusing.

I also like Janet Evanovich's quote:

"Romance novels are birthday cake and life is peanut butter and jelly...everyone should have lots of delicious romance novels lying around for those times when the peanut butter of life gets stuck to the roof of your mouth." - 1988
I needed a bit of a break from all the serious fiction and fantasy books I have been reading lately and this was perfect. It's a light, cute book that was enjoyable. The beginning of the book was good with Berry climbing up a tree to help save a poor kitten and then the lights went on...I'll leave it there because it was a good start to the book and I don't want to spoil it for you. If you're in the mood for something light and cute, this is probably a good bet! Enjoy!!
I read all of Janet Evanovich, even the 12 books that were reprinted after she became such a popular author. This is the last of the 12 to be re-issued, and I am so glad that we are done with them. Formulaic, silly, a bit enjoyable but less so as I read more and more of them. I still love the Stephanie Pum novels, but the straight romance novels simply are not as good.

Best thing is that they are VERY fast reads!
Wayland Smith
Fans of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum will recognize a sort of rough draft of her here. This is one of Evanovich's early stories, now reissued.

The main character is a female who kills cars, feels she falls short of the example her mother set while she was growing up, has a dotty old woman around (3 in this case), a dog who eats things he shouldn't. a former marriage ended by the husband cheating, and falls in love with a man who is improbably good looking who owns a house but lives alone. Sou
If your suffering from Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series withdrawl you may want to check this book out. Girl meets handsome guy in the most unusual of circumstances. One dog, two compromised cars, three old ladies, and a partridge in a pear tree later (just kidding about the partridge and tree) you get one funny romance that will tickle your funny bone and appease your need for Plum.
In general, I think the Stephanie Plum "mystery" series is kind of funny. They are easy read, romantic what you read after finishing War and Peace and you need a break.

This was not a Stephanie Plum book but a librarian told me it was funny...either I'm getting pickier or this was a toss off because I barely finished it....and didn't really care if I did.
This book is pure fluff. One of J.E.'s first attempts at writing a novel. It was updated and re-released under the assumption that the author's loyal fans would flock to the stores to buy it. If you're a die-hard fan, I'd recommend borrowing it from the library (but only if you've run out of stuff to read). Don't waste your money on this one.
Berry owns a pizza shop and is making a delivery one night when she finds a kitten stuck in a tree (only while up there she discovers an undressing Jake only to fall and make quite an introduction. Jake is smitten and Berry fights against her feelings because they upset her life plan. A cute and funny romance that is a light and quick read
I can't believe I actually bought this book. Most of all I can't believe Janet Evanovich bothered to write it!!
I forgot to add that I was amused to see that even in 1988 Evanovich liked to destroy her protagonists' cars.
The worse book I've read in five years. Incredibly poor character development. Potentially "cute" plot ruined because this book appears to have been written in about 48 hours. The JE has more potential than this!
I just finished "Naughty Neighbor" and thought it was awesome. I didn't like "The Grand Finale" as much. It was kind of all over the place.
And the male lead was creepy at times. Take this example from the book:

" She cautiously opened one eye.
'Morning.' Jake grinned down at her.
Berry pulled the covers up to her neck.'What are you doing in here?'
'I need some clothes. Want to take a shower?' "

Creepy. The way he acts with her would have a lot of warning signs if this was not a romance novel and he w
May 28, 2009 Kim rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kim by: Erin
Wow! I really needed a happy, uplifting book and this was perfect. Easy, quick, funny, no one died, and best of all...happy ending! YAY!
Amanda Meggs
Pretty bad. The girl is not likable, she's supposed to be, obviously as she's adopted three needy old ladies (whom i never distinguished one from the other, two called mrs but the other not for some unknown reason). Lingonberry - dumb name - is selfish, not particularly nice, uninteresting. Jake is naturally rich, gorgeous, kind, standard mills & boon, uninteresting. The writing was very formulaic and uninspiring, could have been more interesting and believable if it didn't all happen in thr ...more
Dwayne Wojtowicz
I think that Janet Evanovich needs to stop writing Stephanie Plum stories and concentrate on her new characters in "The Grand Finale." This is some outstanding work that she has developed outside of the Stephanie Plum series.

Her main character, Berry Knudson, is just a walking disaster. She takes care of three old ladies and, just once, had the unprepared opportunity to spy on the gorgeous hunk undressing, only to fall out of the tree and smash his pizza that she was supposed to deliver.

Lame, contrived, boring. This is my first try at Evanovich and I am not impressed at all.
  • Ambushed! (McCalls' Montana #3)
  • The Plot Thickens (Fearless Jones, #0.5)
  • Rock My World (Harlequin Blaze #215)
  • The Grail King (Druids of Avalon, #2)
  • The Devil She Knows (Devil, #6)
  • Faith (Virtue, #2)
  • Heart of Gold (Loveswept, No 393; Rainbow Chasers, #1)
  • Dating the Rebel Tycoon (The Kellys of Brisbane, #1)
  • Gingham Bride (Buttons and Bobbins, #1)
  • Frontier Courtship
  • Hunting the Demon (Demon Hunters, #2)
  • Claimed By a Scottish Lord (Mystical Bliss, #2)
  • My Nerdy Valentine (Nerds, #7)
  • Hot for Him (Harlequin Blaze, #326)
  • Good Girls Don't
  • The Captive (Harlequin Blaze, #534)
More about Janet Evanovich...

Loveswept Romance (7 books)
  • Love Overboard