Start by marking “Summon the Thunder (Star Trek: Vanguard, #2)” as Want to Read:
Summon the Thunder (Star Trek: Vanguard, #2)

Summon the Thunder (Star Trek: Vanguard #2)

In the aftermath of 'Harbinger', Commodore Diego Reyes commands Vanguard while waging an intensely personal struggle; tasked to uncover the true significance of the Taurus Reach while simultaneously concealing that mission from his fellow officers - and even his closest friends.
Mass Market Paperback, 432 pages
Published June 27th 2006 by Star Trek

To ask other readers questions about Summon the Thunder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summon the Thunder

Terence
May 31, 2010 Terence rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Original ST fans
Recommended to Terence by: Book 1 in the series
Shelves: sf-fantasy, star-trek
Alex
Mar 03, 2016 Alex rated it liked it
Dayton Ward does his best David Mack impression and the results are entertaining and enjoyable. The humour and variety don't quite hit the spot quite as well but we get plenty of setup here and the Vanguard series wheels keep spinning along quite nicely. I'm continuing to enjoy the vast range of characters, the overt liberalness that tinges this particular Star Trek, the classic warmongering (and the Romulans make their entrance in a sneaky fashion this time around) and the pure - albeit generic ...more
Aron
Aug 25, 2015 Aron rated it liked it
Shelves: asap, st-vanguard
Even though it took me over a month to read it, it wasn't due lack if quality, I just couldn't find the time. But I thought it was a great follow to Harbinger, not as good as Harbinger but still a solid entry. The Shedai scenes & the character building was great. l think the overall Vanguard story is awsome, it's a little unpredictable as it seems the traditional Star Trek rules don't apply, people die regardless of rank or status,...fixin to jump right into Reap the Whirlwind! Loving this V ...more
Victor
May 12, 2014 Victor rated it liked it
This is the first Star Trek book penned by Dayton Ward and Kevin Dilmore that I have read, and if I finish out this series it won't be the last. Since this is the second in a seven book series, it would be misguided to expect any large conclusions. The mystery, intrigue, and military maneuvers in the Taurus Reach is merely expanded, rather than explained. As a continuation of the series it succeeds on numerous levels. It is a solid representation of the Star Trek franchise, focusing more on dipl ...more
David King
Feb 03, 2014 David King rated it really liked it
“Summon The Thunder” by Dayton Ward & Kevin Dilmore is the 2nd novel in the Star Trek: Vanguard series and follows on directly from its predecessor novel, “Harbinger”. With the main characters already established, the two authors have been able to write a story which concentrates on trying to unlock some of the mysteries of the Taurus Reach alongside further development of the characters.

Basically, following the destruction of a colony and starship the federation has uncovered another alien
Steve
3.5 stars. While I enjoyed the continuation of the story line that was set up here, and there was enough action and plot twists to keep me guessing, it didn't really feel as edgy as the first one, and the involvement of the Romulans felt like a sad trope that was trotted out because that's what is always done. There wasn't really a climax or even a resolution, but slightly more questions were answered, so I'm still looking forward to reading the next in the series.
Rob
I kind of get where they were going with this; a character across a vast array of people all connected by this one particular alien artifact, a sort of song of fire and ice meets star trek. And like GRRM’s books it suffers from the same lack of editing, not that long involved story can’t be good, but some of the plot points are unnecessary, excessively bulky, or lack any sense of logic. By the time the ship goes back to the place where they were just nearly destroyed without any additional firep ...more
Andrea
Nov 13, 2015 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. Lots of different points of view really help to tell the story well. A bonus for me, who's not as up on Star Trek as my husband, is that there are less things that I had to look up online.
Jimyanni
Sep 07, 2012 Jimyanni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
I thoroughly enjoyed the first book of this series; I suppose, to be consistent with what I've done in the past, I ought to dock it one star for not having a major plotline that actually begins and ends in the same book, but rather just being a continuation of all subplots without any real closure. But somehow, in this case, that didn't seem to be a problem; I'm not sure why, but I suppose it's because, while no subplot actually concluded, they were all left at reasonable break points. In any ca ...more
Shannon Appelcline
I found the first book in this series slow, and I was able to excuse that under the theory that it was setting things up. Unfortunately that slowness (and some continued setup, as we get fully introduced to the crew of the Endeavor) continues here. There are a few great action bits, and there are some nice character bits, but overall this book drags -- especially in the chapters dedicated to the various alien races rather than to the Federation & related people that we're actually coming to ...more
Kyle McNally
Aug 08, 2015 Kyle McNally rated it it was ok
Slower than the previous book. Where was T'prynn for most of the book?
Bryan Williams
Jul 06, 2012 Bryan Williams rated it really liked it
The second installment in the Vanguard series certainly moves the story along, but the grasp of the "Vanguard universe" is lost of this set of authors. David Mack is the "mack daddy" of Vanguard, having been the author the publisher approached to bring this series to life. He commands the knowledge of the settings and the characters better than anyone else. While it is definitely worth your while to read "Summon the Thunder" to move the story along, don't expect it to be as much of a page-turner ...more
Travis
Feb 13, 2010 Travis rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
Lots of good ideas and interesting characters are drowned in sub-plots, story threads and an over arching story that stretches over three books and seems at time to be treated as not as important as all the sub-plots by the writers.

Feel like the book should come with a chart to help you keep track of it all and it stopped being fun or feeling like it was worth the effort and keep reading.

Shame, as the idea of a space station set during the TOS was great, but the execution was too much.
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 Benjamin Plume rated it really liked it
It is somewhat difficult to keep up with all the characters..but that variability is also what gives this series part of its strength. You get to see events from the perspectives of all of the major 22nd century Trek powers (Federation, Klingon, Romulan, Tholian, Orion) and the operation of a Starbase from that era not just in a Starfleet capacity but through the eyes of a smuggler, an attorney, a journalist, an ambassadorial staff, and a spy.
Lee
Jan 28, 2010 Lee rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This was recommended to me by one or more Star Trek-related fora. It's pretty good, set in the same era as The Original Series, but not involving Kirk, Spock or McCoy as characters at all. The starbase in unclaimed space is a little reminiscient of DS9, but this one is not the same. There is still a mystery to be discovered, and I look forward to reading some more of this series.
David Brawley
Jul 31, 2011 David Brawley rated it liked it
Shelves: paperbackswap, 2011
Sadly not as good as the first book in the series. It felt like there was just a little too much crammed in that just didn’t work. Forced humor, twists to the story line that kinda killed some of the tension...

If I could I'd rate it at 2.5 stars. Hopefully book 3 will be better, because i really think this series could tell some interesting stories.
Jack
Sep 29, 2011 Jack rated it liked it
Not as impressive as the first in the series. Much of the book is a slow build to presumably huge events late in the series. Like Harbinger, it's engaging and the characters are strong for original tie-in creations, but it never quite reaches the crescendo you expect.
Tom
Jul 06, 2013 Tom rated it liked it
This one had more action and revealed more information. I thought too much time was spent in reviewing the actions of book #1. Several story arcs not all very interesting but may have bearing later on. Will move on to #3 Reap the Whirlwind.
Elijah
Feb 04, 2016 Elijah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be very well written with an extremely interesting plot- and the authors did an excellent job developing each of the multitude of characters. Overall, a very good read.
Chad Bowers
Feb 08, 2016 Chad Bowers rated it it was amazing
The Vanguard book 2, and I couldn't put it down, I was very pleasantly surprised after reading book 1. Love the characters in this series, very original, and thought through. Recommended!
Jeremy
Feb 02, 2016 Jeremy rated it liked it
I was never a fan of this time in Star Trek but this series is amazing. What a great gritty read. If they had this universe on tv today this would be the series I'd want to see
Linda J J.
Jan 28, 2010 Linda J J. marked it as to-read
I couldn't finish reading Summon the Thunder. The print is just too small. Trying to read gave me a pounding headache. After I get some new glasses, will try it again.
Justin
Aug 18, 2015 Justin rated it really liked it
Shelves: scif-fi
long book with no climax and anti climatic beginning half way
Samuel
Aug 31, 2011 Samuel rated it liked it
Overall, a not so bad follow, lots of mystery and intrigue.
Niklas Weidner
Niklas Weidner is currently reading it
Sep 23, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Rob Luxton
Rob Luxton is currently reading it
Sep 13, 2016
Herb Schaltegger
Herb Schaltegger is currently reading it
Sep 12, 2016
  • Reap the Whirlwind (Star Trek: Vanguard, #3)
  • Glass Empires (Star Trek: Mirror Universe)
  • Rough Beasts of Empire (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #3)
  • Sword of Damocles (Star Trek Titan #4)
  • Over a Torrent Sea (Star Trek: Titan, #5)
  • Losing the Peace (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Star Trek: Strange New Worlds IV
  • Indistinguishable from Magic (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Children of the Storm (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Trill and Bajor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Vol. 2)
  • Shards and Shadows (Star Trek Mirror Universe)
  • Resistance (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)
  • Q & A (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • Cardassia and Andor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #1)
  • Taking Wing (Star Trek: Titan, #1)
  • Before Dishonor (Star Trek The Next Generation)
Dayton is a software developer, having become a slave to Corporate America after spending eleven years in the U.S. Marine Corps. When asked, he’ll tell you that he left home and joined the military soon after high school because he’d grown tired of people telling him what to do all the time.

Ask him sometime how well that worked out.

In addition to the numerous credits he shares with friend and co
More about Dayton Ward...

Star Trek: Vanguard (9 books)
  • Harbinger (Star Trek: Vanguard, #1)
  • Reap the Whirlwind (Star Trek: Vanguard, #3)
  • Open Secrets (Star Trek: Vanguard, #4)
  • Precipice (Star Trek: Vanguard, #5)
  • Declassified (Star Trek: Vanguard, #6)
  • What Judgments Come (Star Trek: Vanguard, #7)
  • Storming Heaven (Star Trek: Vanguard, #8)
  • In Tempest's Wake (Star Trek: Vanguard, #9)