Start by marking “Death on the Pont Noir (Lucas Rocco, #3)” as Want to Read:
Death on the Pont Noir (Lucas Rocco, #3)

Death on the Pont Noir (Lucas Rocco #3)

1963. A disagreement in a restaurant near Amiens turns to violence, and three English tourists are questioned by police. A misunderstanding, say the men, who claim they are visiting local British military cemeteries in search of a family member 's grave. They even have a map of the region to prove it. They offer generous compensation and profuse apologies before being ...more
Published June 25th 2012 by Allison & Busby

To ask other readers questions about Death on the Pont Noir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death on the Pont Noir

Mark Ellis
Apr 04, 2013 Mark Ellis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great Lucas Rocco novel. The book moves along at a cracking pace and oozes the atmosphere of early sixties France. The London criminal underworld of the Krays and Richardsons also features in this story and there is a political angle to spice things up further. Rocco is a likeable hero and there are interesting developments of some of the other regular characters. I gave the last in the series a 4 star rating but I think the greater breadth of this, the third in the series, merits a 5.
Marina Sofia
Oct 07, 2012 Marina Sofia rated it really liked it
I think this series gets better and better as the author settles into the landscape, characters and period. It's got action, a sense of history, a sense of the French mindset, political intrigue, but also humour and quirky characters. And Rocco (although divorced) is not a typical clicheed kind of policeman.
Mel Healy
May 22, 2014 Mel Healy rated it really liked it
I kept getting interrupted while trying to read this one, yet each time I came back to it the plot and characters were still vividly clear.

It's a police thriller set in 1963 France - mostly rural France around the Picardie region - with various plots to kill de Gaulle that brought me right back to The Day of the Jackal in the good sense. Fast paced in relatively short chapters, the book's plot lets the reader try to second-guess what happens next. Well written, brings in everything from memories
Richard
Jul 02, 2012 Richard rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
A brave plot. Our intrepid detective stuck in 60s France tackles issues around attempts to knock-off General de gaule. This is the third outing for our detective and there is much to commend AM as he explores this character and expands the other players in this fiction.
I thoroughly enjoyed the writing; it is descriptive, carries a sense of place and atmosphere and is underlined with a tension throughout the book. It would be wrong to compare with Day of the Jackal a brilliant novel. No, we are t
David Marshall
Aug 19, 2013 David Marshall rated it liked it
This is an impressive piece of writing, eliminating extraneous detail and producing a very strong plot. However, apart from dropping a few names, it might just as well not be a historical novel. There's very little effort made to establish a real feel for the time and places mentioned. Everything is subordinated to arriving breathless at the end with all the answers in hand.

Wilde Sky
Sep 02, 2015 Wilde Sky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A detective investigates how a reported accident, a missing tramp and a bar brawl are linked to an attempt to assassinate the French President.

This book took a bit of getting into but once it started I found it a satisfying crime thriller with a good / twisting plot, realistic characters / dialogue and well described scenes – not quite as good as “Day of the Jackal”, but still a satisfying read.
Hana
Aug 04, 2016 Hana rated it really liked it
Shelves: detective
Another good detective story that made me look into the history of Charles de Gaulle :-) Lucas Rocco is quickly becoming one of my favourite detectives. The writing is really good, the story is intriguing and to the point.
Tamara
Good read. Set in France in the early 1960's. A series of odd events in a small french village lead a policeman to a plot to assassinate De Gaulle. Well-paced, smooth, and enjoyable.
Polly
Polly rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2014
Jamie
Jamie rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2013
Julie Peter
Julie Peter rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2014
Martin
Martin rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2015
Sean D.
Sean D. rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2014
Rosalind Levin
Rosalind Levin rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2015
Lisa Holley
Lisa Holley rated it liked it
Oct 08, 2012
Weolmd
Weolmd rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2014
Ian
Ian rated it really liked it
May 10, 2016
Sue
Apr 26, 2015 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First book I have read by this author and enjoyed it.
Andrew
Andrew rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2015
Sandra
Sandra rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2015
Clare
Clare rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2013
Judie
Nov 26, 2012 Judie rated it really liked it
This series gets better with each book. Love the characters and the setting.
Dave Vanderberg
Dave Vanderberg rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2016
Gavin
Gavin rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2016
Anita
Anita rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2013
Angie Parry
Angie Parry rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2013
Matt
Matt rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2012
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2016
Angie Parry
Angie Parry rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2013
Adrian Magson is a British crime-writer, his books often involve conspiracies, and have two repeating main characters - Riley Gavin, a young female investigative reporter, and Frank Palmer, a former RMP (British Royal Military Policeman) now a private investigator.
More about Adrian Magson...

Lucas Rocco (4 books)
  • Death on the Marais (Lucas Rocco, #1)
  • Death on the Rive Nord (Lucas Rocco, #2)
  • Death at the Clos Du Lac (Lucas Rocco, #4)