Start by marking “The Duties Of Parents” as Want to Read:
The Duties Of Parents
Open Preview read book* *Different edition

The Duties Of Parents

4.57 of 5 stars 4.57  ·  rating details  ·  129 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Often children are not trained the way they should go, for when they grow up they do not walk with God. Bishop Ryle shows parents their duty to go forward and obey God's commands. Pamphlet
Published by Grace & Truth Books (first published March 19th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Duties Of Parents, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Duties Of Parents

Jimmy
Jun 12, 2012 Jimmy added it
Readers should probably know a little about the author--that he was an Anglican Bishop of Evangelical persuasion who lived most of his life in the 1800s (he died midway through 1900). Yet, this short work turns out to be still relevant for parenting today. There were nuggets of wisdom offered throughout the work. For instance, the author brings out a great point that it's easy for parents to see what other parents does wrong. Yet in the midst of this parents must examine themselves that they are ...more
Mark A Powell
Though first published more than a century ago, this little booklet from Ryle contains principles of parenting that still resonate today. He reminds Christian parents that their main concern is the eternal souls of their children, not primarily their comfort or convenience. Although much of his counsel seems to run counter to modern culture’s approach to rearing children, it lines up perfectly with Scripture’s admonitions to parents. Ryle has written a highly helpful, highly recommend book.
Christine
Maybe our favorite parenting book (actually booklet) of all time. We used to buy them and give them as baby shower gifts. Ryle is an excellent teacher.
Mike E.
[Nice PDF of the book available here: http://www.chapellibrary.org/files/ar...]

Classic Ryle, 17(!) clear and concise points; short booklet worth reading . . Ryle gives godly counsel from another generation which ours needs to hear:

12. Train them with a constant fear of over-indulgence.
This is the one point of all on which you have most need to be on your guard. It is natural
to be tender and affectionate towards your own flesh and blood, and it is the excess of this very
tenderness and affectio
Adam T Calvert
Wow. Read this book and read it again! From a theologian in the 1800s this book had a great way of speaking straight to the heart from theological and Biblical principles on what parents ought to do in raising their children. Solidly Biblical, yet very easy to read in a devotional style.

Even if you don’t have kids it’s a terrific read in regard to personal sanctification!
Coyle
This little tract by J.C. Ryle is short, well-written, and full of excellent advice. Specifically, he provides 17 guidelines that are the, well, duties of parents. For example:
1. First, then, if you would train your children rightly, train them in the way they should go, and not in the way that they would. Remember, children are born with a decided bias towards evil, and therefore if you let them choose for themselves, they are certain to choose wrong. (pg.9)
2. Train up your child with all ten
Stephen Hardy
Highly recommended. Should be required reading for all parents. Straightforward, easy-to-read language, hard hitting. Read it even if you're not a parent...
Michael Jones
the context of this book is another time, but the principles still have much to offer and remind us of.
Jenifer
A super quick read, but really details our responsibility as parents.
Stephanie
Practical and sound wisdom for parenting.
Maria Vargason
This is the best book on parenting--ever.
Logan
What an excellent, excellent little booklet. Very succinctly Ryle pleads with Christian parents to raise up their children in a godly fashion, and gives some very practical advice for helping them to pray, learn Scripture, and be trained in the way they should go. Highly recommended and it's an extremely quick read.
Craig Harris
Awesome little book... And the fact that it is short helps busy parents to actually read it! Hits the major things in parenting, not meant to be comprehensive obviously but this is something all parents who care about the spiritual health of their children to read annually.
John
Dec 12, 2013 John rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
This is a short, insightful work on parenting. Ryle gives a list of duties for parents. These duties include things like teaching obedience, prayer, faithful church attendance, patience, truth, and more.

Each chapter is dedicated to a particular lesson for parents, and they are all only a couple pages long. There is little in the way of practical application, but the principles are sound and urgently presented.

This is a great introductory work to parenting as it lays out the duties and leaves par
Job Dalomba
The only problem with this book is that it's too short. I wanted to read more.
Brittany Dalomba
Excellent, will read again.
Becky Hintz
Feb 12, 2014 Becky Hintz rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Recommended to Becky by: Jack & Lisa Hughes
Outside of the Bible itself, this is my absolute favorite book on parenting. I have read it through once a year, every year, since becoming pregnant with my first child. It has challenged, corrected, and instructed me every single time. Eminently quotable, Ryle wastes no words in this brief work; it's short enough that I've more or less memorized it through the years.
Mike
An incredibly relevant pamphlet on parenting. There are points where you'd swear it was written in the last five years. I have read other contemporary parenting books that were less aware of culture than Ryle. I have now read two shorter works by Ryle and can't wait to find time to dig into his larger works like Holiness.
Garrett
I really enjoyed this brief volume. It's packed with Scriptural admonition. Light on specific applications, but that's what makes this book timeless.
Ben
Jan 07, 2014 Ben added it
Free ebook versions (including Kindle version) here: http://www.monergism.com/thethreshold...
Morgan
Indispensable reference on child training. Packed to the gills with gems. Worth reading over and over!
Deepshikha Khaira
A must read for every parent...all the thoughts have been time tested...AND they pass with flying colours
Lucas Bradburn
This is my second time through this book. Definitely the best book on parenting I have ever read.
Mikel Owens
This ties with A Mother's Heart as my favorite parenting book. So, so good.
Jessie LaPorte
The best parenting book I've read!
Ross Leavitt
Ross Leavitt marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Lee Gerrietts
Lee Gerrietts marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
  • Fit to Burst: Abundance, Mayhem, and the Joys of Motherhood
  • Praise Her in the Gates
  • Don't Make Me Count to Three
  • Future Men
  • What's So Great About the Doctrines of Grace?
  • Instructing a Child's Heart
  • Heartfelt Discipline: The Gentle Art of Training and Guiding Your Child
  • What Can I Do With My Guilt? (Crucial Questions, #9)
  • Family Shepherds: Calling and Equipping Men to Lead Their Homes
  • A Body of Divinity: Contained in Sermons upon the Westminster Assembly's Catechism
  • Everyday Talk: Talking Freely and Naturally about God with Your Children
  • Give Them Grace: Dazzling Your Kids with the Love of Jesus
  • Age of Opportunity: A Biblical Guide to Parenting Teens (Resources for Changing Lives)
  • How the Gospel Brings Us All the Way Home
  • Hints on Child Training: A Book That's Been Helping Parents Like Your...for More Than 100 Years
  • John Calvin: A Heart for Devotion, Doctrine & Doxology
J. C. Ryle was a prominent writer, preacher, and Anglican clergyman in nineteenth-century Britain. He is the author of the classic Expository Thoughts on the Gospels and retired as the bishop of Liverpool.
More about J.C. Ryle...
Holiness Thoughts for Young Men A Call to Prayer Practical Religion Expository Thoughts on the Gospels, Four Vol Set