Start by marking “Arthur's Nose (Arthur Adventure Series)” as Want to Read:
Arthur's Nose (Arthur Adventure Series)

Arthur's Nose (Arthur Adventure Series)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  475 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Unhappy with his nose, Arthur visits the rhinologist to get a new one.
Published May 30th 1986 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Arthur's Nose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arthur's Nose

Pat (Get Kids to Read) Tierney
This first entry in the Arthur series is very disappointing. However, the disappointment is retroactive. This book is about being yourself and not changing who you are or what you look like. It teaches the message that everyone is special and everyone should like themselves and how they look. Arthur is self conscious about his nose. He thinks it is too big. At the end of the story he decides not to get a new nose after all.
Now I understand this was a very early book for Marc Brown, but the very
Lauren
Required reading for those considering a nose job.
Andrew
I got the 25th Anniversary Limited Edition of this book from the library, and you know, that's special. 25 years of Arthur. Described on Wikipedia as an " eight year old anthropomorphic brown aardvark who lives in Elwood City", Arthur is a pretty good role model for children. He handles a lot of difficult situations with grace and approbation that even us adults could learn from his ways. It's interesting to see how Arthur has 'anthropomorphically' changed over the years, which is showcased in t ...more
David
Arthur's Nose: An Arthur Adventure (Arthur Adventure Series) by Marc Brown is the first Arthur book, about Arthur wanting to change his nose since it makes him feel uncomfortable about himself.

Arthur gets upset with his nose when he has a cold. Francine complains to the teacher that Arthur's nose was always bothering her. Arthur's friends thought his nose was funny, So Arthur decides to go the rhinologist for a new nose. Dr. Louise suggests that Arthur try on pictures of different noses to choo
Ronyell
“Arthur’s Nose” is the first “Arthur” book created by Marc Brown and it is about how Arthur wants to change his nose since it makes him feel uncomfortable about himself. “Arthur’s Nose” may seem a bit too old-fashioned for the younger generation who has not read the older “Arthur” books, but it is still a classic children’s book that everyone will read for many years.

Marc Brown has done a great job at writing the story as he describes the trials of being different from a child’s point of view.
Kathryn Sublett
This story could be used to teach (or remind upper elementary) students that pointing out differences in appearances in a negative way can hurt someone's feelings. Students will learn to love themselves and appreciate the way other students look in their class. The saying "out of the mouths of babes" applies to the ideas expressed in this book. Children do not have a filter for their thoughts so it is important for them to learn how to think before they speak in elementary.

The main character, A
Sarah Sammis
Jul 24, 2012 Sarah Sammis rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Sarah by: HNU
Arthur the aardvark is two years older than Garfield the cat and he's changed just as much since his debut in 1976. Arthur first appeared in Arthur's Nose by Marc Brown, an appropriate and funny title for a cover sporting a typically shaped aardvark, but a little disturbing in thinking of what Arthur looks like now.

Brushing aside 20-20 hindsight for the moment, I want to look at the first edition book because that's the version I read. It's part of the K12 collection at Holy Names University tha
Tasia
Everyone's going to point out that despite Arthur's decision to refuse a nose job, he did get a character redesign over the years. Yes, yes, but let's focus on this book as it was at the time it came out: no following character redesigns, and just the premise that he didn't like his looks because children can be horrid.
It's a cute idea, but I keep getting set off at the notion of a child going in for a nose job. Later Arthur is what I grew up with; this is… a bit of a strange start.
Summer
I don't understands why everyone likes this book so much. Sure, you can argue that it teaches kids not to pick on other kids just because they look funny, but in my opinion, the fact that Arthur gets a rhinoplasty anyway defeats that entire objective and the lesson suddenly turns into "kids, if you get made fun of, change yourself so everyone will like you more. you might feel a little empty inside, but that doesn't matter because you're beautiful and being beautiful is more important than being ...more
Tracy Poff
The first entry in the venerable Arthur series. Arthur is teased because of his nose, and considers rhinoplasty, but ultimately decides that he's fine just as he is. Not too bad art, decent message. The highlight is Arthur trying on various other animals' noses to see which he likes. Not a bad book, but the series does improve.
Rosa Cline
Although the Arthur series is usually a really cute and neat series. This probably was one of the more earlier ones. The charactors are all drawn differently than we are used to. However, this book helps children to understand to be comfortable with the way they look. I would still read this again, it's just not the normal Arthur the kids are used to seeing.
Amity
Apr 21, 2008 Amity rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
I got this book at Fireside the other day to add to my anteater books collection. Originally Arthur was an anteater, I guess deep down he still is, but not like in the old days.

Craig said Arthur is the Michael Jackson of Kid's book characters. Even though this first story in a series of many is about him not liking, then eventually accepting his nose, the current day Arthur has lightened in color and dramatically changed his nose. It's no longer apparent what sort of critter he is.

I thought that
Liliana Escamilla
This is Marc Brown’s first book that started it all. This book shows just how kids can deal with problems and how making fun of someone can affect that person.

Arthur's struggles with teasing help him prevail and become a better person. This book is a perfect example for students to learn that teasing is not the way to treat people.

With this book you can allow children to have compliment charts and they can use it whenever they want to give someone a compliment.
Emma Serianni
I feel that this book is not appropriate for children. It is showing them that it is okay to change your appearance just because they look different then everyone else. Showing that there is even an option to change yourself at this young of an age is just inappropriate. This book should not even deserve 1 star but I am being generous. I do not recommend letting children reading this book because people should be happy just the way they are.
Evelyn
Arthur's Nose by Marc Brown is a great book that can teach students that it isn't okay to make fun of someone's appearance. Students will be able to realize that picking at other's because of their differences is very hurtful and can damage other's self-esteem and feelings. I would use this book when in order to eliminate bullying or to increase my student's self-esteem when I see that it is down. This book can be used for students K-3rd grade.
Kate
A really cute book about self acceptance. My only qualm is that it's not the "Arthur" most kids recognize since he's evolved over the years. I imagine some kids will object because this is the "wrong" Arthur...plus, the fact that Arthur no longer has his original nose kind of undermines the self-acceptance message.
Libby
I always thought it a little ironic that the hero of the series that started with Arthur's Nose has had a shrinking nose throughout the years. Still, the classic is good, and most of the immediate characters are recognizable, even to a 2 year old.
Winta
Arthur did not like his nose and tried on other animals’ nose. His friends made fun of his nose, but in the end, he learned to love and appreciate his nose. Kids can relate to the story, and is good for young elementary ages.
Bill Sannwald
The art is so much funkier in this early Arthur book. The newer version of Arthur is so vanilla. The story is a good read for any kid feeling insecure about themselves. That said, Arthur's nose *is* totally huge.
Stephanie
This has to be one of the first Arthur books written! It's funny to see how Arthur's nose has evolved (shrunk!) over the years. A good book but I think the later Arthur books have a lot more substance to them.
Danielle
Apparently Arthur wasn't the only one who didn't like his nose. For the rest of the series he has almost no nose at all. This is the only book in the series where you can tell he is an aardvark.
Kristal
It's interesting how far Arthur has come the last few decades.

I don't like this book though because in the end, Arthur's nose is changed throughout the series anyways, so the moral is defeated.
Cana
Mommy says: One of the old-school Arthur books with the long aardvark nose. My kids prefer the books that look like the TV show. Still a good story about learning to like who you are.
Lisa
Kate Mowery
All the Arthur-scrapbook stuff at the beginning of this edition is pretty neat.

This is hardcore old-timey Arthur. So weird to look at now.
Karley
Shows children to always be confident with themselves! This story also explores family and friends. Very cute story!
Jen
I like how the illustrations in this book are different than other ones!!!
Steph
Jan 03, 2012 Steph rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
So cute but I think this was marc browns first arthur book...
Olivia
I think this book is really good. I love Marc Brown books!
Chai T
arthur's nose is BIG!
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Trouble with Grownups
  • Just Me and My Little Brother (Little Critter)
  • Peek-a-Moo!
  • Bugs Galore
  • Hungry, Hungry Sharks!
  • The Pinkerrific Playdate
  • The Little Red Hen
Marc Tolon Brown is perhaps best known for his Arthur series of children's books.

He lives on Martha's Vineyard and in New York City with his wife, Laurie Krasny Brown. He has three children, sons Tolon and Tucker, and daughter Eliza. The names of his two sons have been hidden in all of the Arthur books except for one: Arthur's Tooth.
More about Marc Brown...

Arthur Adventure Series (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Arthur's Halloween (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's New Puppy (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Chicken Pox: An Arthur Adventure (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Tooth  (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Eyes (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Valentine (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Christmas (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Baby (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Teacher Trouble (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Arthur's Underwear (Arthur Adventure Series)
Arthur's Eyes (Arthur Adventure Series) Arthur's Halloween (Arthur Adventure Series) Arthur's New Puppy (Arthur Adventure Series) Arthur's Valentine (Arthur Adventure Series) Arthur Writes a Story (Arthur Adventure Series)