Start by marking “True (Elixir, #3)” as Want to Read:
True (Elixir, #3)

True (Elixir #3)

3.5  ·  Rating Details ·  1,792 Ratings  ·  201 Reviews
The epic love story of Clea and Sage comes to its thrilling conclusion in the final book in the Elixir series by multitalented star Hilary Duff.Following the harrowing events of Elixir and Devoted—and the ceremony that almost killed Sage—Clea faces a new reality: With Sage’s soul in Nico’s body, the love of her life looks an awful lot like her best friend’s boyfriend. Can ...more
Published April 16th 2013 by Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing

To ask other readers questions about True, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about True

Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Elite by Kiera Cass
YA Novels of 2013
185th out of 1,520 books — 10,929 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadRequiem by Lauren OliverBoundless by Cynthia Hand
2013 Releases
114th out of 572 books — 1,012 voters

More lists with this book...

Dear Elixir series,

Once upon a time, I was young and naive. Your first installment, Elixir was so gleefully different and had such a mysterious and creepy vibe that I honestly couldn't put it down until I finished. I was excited. Especially because I completely adore Hilary Duff.

But maybe that made me see this in a more flattering light than warranted. But I was inexperienced! I honestly had not read much before that point, and now, the tables have surely turned. First of all, I think
Aug 16, 2013 Hillary rated it did not like it
I know it's going to suck, but I'm going to read it anyway. Why do I put myself through these things?

Why did she suddenly switch to the present tense in this book? Why did she suddenly start switching POVs? Is it because present tense and multiple viewpoints are "in" right now? Geez.

The librarian made a comment while I was checking out this book, "Hilary Duff. I thought she was over and done with." Me too, man. Me too.

As I expected, it sucked. And what happened to Clea's dad? That part of the
Tatiana Sandoval
Aug 05, 2012 Tatiana Sandoval marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2013 Rachel rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya-fantasy, read-2013
Completes the series, but it is very slow paced, and the tension that make the other books a little interesting is completely gone.
Jen Book Nook
Dec 27, 2015 Jen Book Nook rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
This book was a surprisingly good read considering it had to follow on from the plot twist that happened at the end of book two (view spoiler). I absolutely hated that plot twist and the consequences that it would mean for the plot and for the characters.
The writing held my interest enough that I wanted to keep reading until the end even though I knew that I wasn’t going to get the ending that I wanted.

Overall it
Jul 12, 2012 VictoriaSong marked it as to-read
Oh thank you Hilary Duff, I thought, Devoted ended kind of meanly, hope there is a 3rd book on it's way (it's understandable that she has been really busy with taking care of baby Luca) because I would really love to see Clea and Sage's story continue ;p
Apr 15, 2013 Krystal rated it liked it
**Original review posted here.**

I still find it hard to believe, but Hilary Duff is an author and she wrote this series and pulled off a pretty good trilogy. The Elixir novels were intense, romantic and intriguing. We never knew what would happen next and I enjoyed that. In True, book #3, we finally see the fate of Clea and Sage. Are they finally together for life or did the ceremony from Devoted end Sage's life forever? If you've read Elixir and Devoted then it's crucial that you finish the ser
May 19, 2016 Rocío rated it really liked it
Ha sido el libro más lento de la trilogía y a pesar de ser el desenlace me ha dejado con un par de dudas que me hubiese gustado que se resolvieran.
De todas formas ha estado muy bien, ya que la trama ha continuado siendo interesante aunque en muchas ocasiones bastante fantástica.
También he echado de menos un poco más de acción con Sage y con respecto a él y Clea, ya que dicen estar enamorados y no han pasado tiempo juntos, por lo que por esa parte me falta credibilidad.
Aún así me ha gustado la hi
Melissa Clyne
Apr 05, 2015 Melissa Clyne rated it did not like it
Feb 13, 2016 Leash rated it really liked it
Minus the foul language. This book was the best one out of the series. It's too bad Duff decided not to write anymore books because she proved to readers that she is talented not just in the film industry, but in writing as well. Of course books one and two should be read in order to fully understand the plot and what is happening.
Apr 21, 2013 Naroba rated it did not like it
I don't review books. I just have this app to look for new books and occasionally read someone's review to laugh or go "hmmm I might just see this point they're trying to make"
But this book upset me so much I just had to get on here and rant.

What the hell was on Hillary's mind to write this book the way she did?!

The man (Sage) is violent toward Clea and Rayna and everyone around him and it's okay because of the situation?! NOOOO.

Not to mention I never did find out about her dad. And then turning
May 27, 2013 Amy rated it did not like it
LONG STORY SHORT: I got a copy of "True" when I went to the Ellen Degeneres show and Hilary Duff (ugh) was the guest. I was skeptical at first (just because she's a celebrity doesn't mean she should be an author, right?)...but then I felt bad for being judgmental.

I grabbed the first two books in the series from my library (I wasn't going to spend money on them) and began.

It went from bad to worse...and then MUCH WORSE. I really should have trusted my initial feelings.

I feel like my brain needs
May 06, 2013 Shea rated it it was ok
I'm almost embarrassed to admit I read this book, but I read the first two in the series so I felt like I needed to finish it out.
I didn't enjoy this book as much as I did the first two. It felt more out there, and for lack of a better term, weird. I really only started getting into it in the last 50 or so pages when I wanted to see how it ended. It definitely wasn't horrible, but I have to say I'm glad the series is over, because once I start a series it's hard for me to stop, no matter how bad
Jan 20, 2016 Shannyn rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone Who Enjoys YA Fantasy
I'm actually really surprised by how many negative reviews there are for this book/series. Honestly, I absolutely loved them. I read all three books in about 3-5 days. (I read them about a year ago, so I can't remember exactly how long...I just remember that it was less than a week at work, and that I didn't want to do anything but read these books.)

In general, I love Hilary Duff, and I love that she constantly strives to do more and more with her life. Experiencing it in every way that she can.
J.M. Stetson
Mar 27, 2014 J.M. Stetson rated it did not like it
Dude, I read this book knowing that it would be bad (after all, have you seen my previous review for this series?!) But I was hoping for funny bad, no "Oh my gosh, why did we kill trees for this??!" Bad.

Firstly, if I ever have to hear one more over dramatic corny line about true love without reason ever again, I may get physically sick. That being said, it was also ridiculously funny. Not actual funny, but like, wow, and this got published funny...

Next, more unrealistic events going on. I mean,
Feb 11, 2014 Larissa rated it it was ok
The last installment for Hilary's novel, Elixir, made me want to rip my hair out of my head till I've reached 89% of the book. And that's not a good thing on my book.

The overall story was somewhat complicated (the eternal, soulmate thing-y), and honestly, for once, I'd love to hear/read a not so happy ending for the main character(s). Evil? Well, I like being different.

Timing seems to be on Sage's side on Devoted (if you've read the book), but now with True things for him are not as immortal as
Sarah Sabin
Apr 24, 2016 Sarah Sabin rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1-10
True is the final book to complete the Elixir trilogy. It is a story of love and betrayal between friends; it is a journey of finding peace for Sage, Clea's soulmate, who has just had his soul transferred into the body of Rayna's boyfriend, Nico, after having the elixir drained from his body of origin. Along the way, the group encounters problems with Sage's soul transfer. Anger, violence, and memory lapses all occur within Sage's new body as he fights for normalcy. It is up to the group to deci ...more
Heather Miller
May 28, 2013 Heather Miller rated it did not like it
Truly one of the worst books I have ever read and I went into it with low expectations. I was hooked into the first book of this trilogy because I thought it had an interesting premise even though it was not well written. The only reason I read this book was to finish out the trilogy and find out what happened to the characters. This book was so teenage girl-ish, but not in a giddy, romantic, fun way, but in a snotty, spoiled, obnoxious, immature way.
Jun 09, 2015 Malori rated it really liked it
Honestly, I loved this book. I loved the whole trilogy. I would love to read more from Hilary Duff.. she is quite talented. This whole story from beginning to end was very twisty turny (are those words? lol) and I thoroughly enjoyed every moment of reading them. probably the fasted I've finished a set of books all in the course of a week. The story kept me longing for it when I wasn't reading and having trouble putting it down when I was. Although I admit, the immortal love story has been a bit ...more
Nov 16, 2014 Kerenza rated it it was ok
Jennifer Brown
Sep 09, 2013 Jennifer Brown rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this final book in the trilogy. I love romance novels and am happy how the book ended with Nico saying goodbye (although I did hope he would somehow come back and Sage would take another body). I seriously thought that Ben had changed and was blindsided by what he did. Good ending Hilary! I hope to hear (read?) more from ya in the future!
Amber Kestner
It just wasn't worth reading since you never find out what happens to her father, on the other hand it is a great series with two books instead of three but I can say hope Hilary is okay with just singing and acting because writing isn't her thing, at least she gave it try.
May 16, 2014 Katharine_ann rated it did not like it
So even though I wasn’t thrilled with the first two books in the series, I have to admit I was totally curious how Duff would wrap up the story. In Elixer I did sort of get attached to Clea, so I certainly wanted to see where the series would leave her (and with whom).

The most annoying part about this book for me is that I was expecting it to wrap up a whole bunch of loose ends left over from the other books, but it didn’t. It doesn’t even touch on them. It felt like the entire book was just bla
Maritza "Books y Booty" Valle
Aww, man. What a let down.

This book has so many places it COULD go, had plenty of built up story line to explore, but instead it introduced a whole new slew of not-that-interesting (but still very infuriating) new twists.

Total let down.

Liked: we got an ending. Nothing too devastating happens in this book.

Disliked: we really jumped the shark on the maturity levels of 17 year olds in this book, the two-point perspective is ridiculous, Rayna is horribly flippant, there's no deep exploration of an
Kylie Crucifixion
Nov 08, 2012 Kylie Crucifixion marked it as to-read
Don't like the cover of the font though. Once again, it should MATCH the color of the fonts on the other books.

Anyway, I need this to hurry up and be out so I can have an excuse to re-read the series! :p
Diane Ferbrache
In this third book in the Elixer series, Sage’s soul has survived but is occupying Nico’s body. Clea must now try to deal with the fact that her boyfriend’s soul is in the body of her best friend’s boyfriend. Plus apparently Nico isn’t totally gone, and something is terribly wrong.

I picked this up because it has sat on the shelf untouched for over a year. It was surprisingly not bad. I had not read the first two and that probably would have helped, but was not a necessity. It's a paranormal ro
Jun 03, 2014 Pauline rated it liked it
I love Hilary and I loved the first book, but honestly, this wasn't particularly good. I was already pretty mad of how things went in the second book and this one didn't change anything. There were some original ideas, but I was disappointed in the way the story ended, it was very expected and as much as I like a happy ending, I didn't want it to happen there. I wasn't shipping Clea/Sage anymore by the end of the second book and this one didn't make me change my mind, I was still kind of rooting ...more
May 08, 2016 Anna rated it it was amazing
I almost didn't read this book...

but I'm so glad I did.

The reviews almost kept me from reading this series, but I had the first one sitting on my "to read" shelf for a while now. I dove in to the first book and really enjoyed it. the second book was no different. I enjoyed the mystery and just had to know what happened. I didn't see what was wrong with any of the books, I have no complaints on the writing or the characters. I say don't form an opinion based on what you read here, but instead gi
May 05, 2014 Dana rated it liked it
This final book to Clea and Sage's story was the type of ending that left everything in a neat little bow. The ending was so predictable that I guessed it before I started reading it. I am, though, a sucker for happy endings, so 3.5 stars for predictability, the fact that the entire story could have been compressed into the second half of the book, and the happy endings. I was not expecting the ending for Ben, and I did feel a little bad for Rayna when she wasn't wining, but overall, it was an i ...more
I've been meaning to read this series for quite awhile. I've always been a fan of Hilary Duff and her multitude of talents and when she talked about her books on the Ellen show, I immediately put them on my TBR.

There are two camps of thought about this trilogy, either readers really love it or really hate it; I'm in the I love it camp! This is the kind of story that really pulls me in. I started the first book of the trilogy on Monday night... it is now Thursday night and I've finished all thre
  • Lone Girl (Wolfling, #2)
  • Lessons of the Heart
  • Short Stories
  • Spellbinding
  • Infatuate (Gilded Wings, #2)
  • The Toadhouse Trilogy (Book #1)
  • Renegade (Ripper, #2)
  • Linc (Cocky Cage Fighter #3)
  • The Exceptionals
  • Anthem for Jackson Dawes
  • Furious
  • Audrey's Guide to Black Magic (Audrey's Guides, #2)
  • Ravage (Deviants, #3)
  • For the Rush (Playing for Keeps #3)
  • In A Heartbeat (Shameful Regret, #1)
  • Shadow of the Mark (Carrier, #2)
  • Life After Theft
  • The Twilight Kingdom (Feyland, #3)
Hilary Erhard Duff is an American actress, pop singer-songwriter and entrepreneur. After gaining fame for playing the title role in the television show Lizzie McGuire, Duff went on to have a film career; her most commercially successful movies include Cheaper by the Dozen (2003), The Lizzie McGuire Movie (2003), and A Cinderella Story (2004).

Duff has expanded her repertoire into pop music, with fo
More about Hilary Duff...

Elixir (3 books)