Start by marking “Magical Judaism: Connecting Pagan and Jewish Practice” as Want to Read:
Magical Judaism: Connecting Pagan and Jewish Practice

Magical Judaism: Connecting Pagan and Jewish Practice

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  21 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
In this first-of-its-kind text, Jennifer Hunter draws on pre-monotheistic Hebrew history, mainstream and alternative Judaism, ceremonial magic, and eclectic NeoPaganism to create spells, meditations, rituals, and holiday traditions. Magickal Judaism infuses NeoPagan rituals with the living, breathing rites of the Jewish people, revealing a liberating new spirituality. Appe ...more
Paperback
Published July 1st 2006 by Citadel (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Magical Judaism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magical Judaism

Steve Cran
Magickal Judaism

Jennifer Hunter

Citadel Press, 2006

An old/New kind of Jew is arising on the Jewish scene, the Jewish Pagan. A Jewish Pagan is someone who combines their Judaism and Paganism is some way or another. Some identify as Pagans of Jewish backgrounds while others bring Pagan practices into their Judaism. Some bring Jewish material into their worship of Pagan Gods/Goddesses.

Jewish Paganism is not entirely new however, the Canaanites were the fore runner of the Israelites. Their Gods inclu
Michelle
Sep 08, 2009 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Religion scholars, clergy,
Recommended to Michelle by: many at the Jewitch group, but I already had it.
Very informative book, some of the stuff I did already know, but it is very nice to have validation elsewhere, LOL.

To see the comparisons between Canaanite mythos and early Hebrew mythos is eye-opening for those who don't realize it. I'm not very far into it, and am kinda hoping she touches on the similarities between judaism and zoroastrianism...they are eerily similar.

I don't understand how someone can claim to be a person of faith of a particular path and not know the history of it. And the
K.
Dec 01, 2011 K. rated it it was amazing
This is a thorough overview of the history of Judaism with connection to its pagan roots. While I was sometimes confused by the intricacies of Jewish belief, this is simply as a result of my own ignorance and not a reflection on the quality of the book. I enjoyed the inclusion of Jewish-Pagan rituals and prayers, as well as the diverse opinions the author included. I recommend this book to anyone with basic knowledge of Judaism or Paganism who is curious about various Jewish-Pagan practices.
Scarlétt Rosmerta Hellequin
Aug 18, 2013 Scarlétt Rosmerta Hellequin rated it it was amazing
My parents were Celtic Witches and I was raised accordingly. Much to their chagrin, Judaism has always inexplicably appealed to me, and I have long sought ways to combine the two paths.

This is a wonderful book, it is interesting from beginning to end, details the amazing similarities between beliefs, and has given me a confidence boost about practising a combined faith.
Sue
Apr 08, 2012 Sue marked it as to-read
Just curious...
Chantelle
Chantelle marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Bill Sweet
Bill Sweet marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Todd
Todd rated it liked it
May 15, 2016
Chelonii
Chelonii marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Charlotte Fraser
Charlotte Fraser marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Tori Lange
Tori Lange is currently reading it
Jul 04, 2016
Meg Dean
Meg Dean rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2016
Anwen
Anwen marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Stacey Langley
Stacey Langley rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2016
Jan Johnson
Jan Johnson marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Noa
Noa marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Jan Burney
Jan Burney marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Hauna
Hauna marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Cristian Stier
Cristian Stier marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Penelope Nichols
Penelope Nichols is currently reading it
Jan 08, 2016
Hadassah Chayim
Hadassah Chayim rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2015
Melissa
Melissa rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2015
Jtsuruoka
Jtsuruoka marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Antonia Zenkevitch
Antonia Zenkevitch rated it it was ok
Jun 15, 2015
Aisling Van Dam LaBauve
Aisling Van Dam LaBauve marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
Kayla Bashe
Kayla Bashe marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015