Start by marking “Poisoned Pins (Claire Malloy, #8)” as Want to Read:
Poisoned Pins (Claire Malloy, #8)

Poisoned Pins (Claire Malloy #8)

Claire Malloy, bookstore owner, part-time sleuth, and full-time single mother, is not quite ready to face her big 4-0 birthday, but her gray hair is getting a boost from the melodramatic antics of her fifteen-year-old daughter Caron - and the screaming that comes from the sorority house next door. Strange things are definitely happening at Kappa Theta Eta House, things tha ...more
Published May 1st 1994 by Onyx (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Poisoned Pins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poisoned Pins

Lois Hecksel
Dec 13, 2016 Lois Hecksel rated it really liked it
An entertaining, humorous, cozy read about women of Kappa Theta Eta, a drama queen daughter, secrets, and conflict with the Lieutenant.
Rose
Oct 28, 2016 Rose rated it it was ok
This was just okay. I've liked the other Claire Malloy mysteries I've read much better.
Alannah Davis
May 20, 2012 Alannah Davis rated it it was amazing
It's been awhile since I've read Joan Hess's Claire Malloy series. I'd forgotten how much I love it. The writing is extremely entertaining and doesn't take itself too seriously. It's very refreshing, especially these days when there are a glut of cozy mysteries whose authors take themselves and their heroines way too seriously.

In "Poisoned Pins," bookstore owner Claire is approaching 40 and trying to cope with the latest antics of her 15-year-old daughter, Caron, who has been recruited by the so
Loraine
Mar 29, 2016 Loraine rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
SUMMARY: Claire Malloy loves her life. But how did it go by so fast? A bookstore owner, part-time sleuth, and full-time single mother, Claire is about to turn the big four-oh! Good thing her teenage daughter, Caron, has just been recruited by the Kappa Theta Eta girls—whose sorority house is next door to the Malloys'—to be a consultant for the cosmetics empire My Beautiful Self, Inc. At the very least, Claire can get a little help with those fine lines around her eyes…but at what cost?

Turns out
The Badger
Jul 04, 2016 The Badger rated it really liked it
The Claire Malloy series is a step above a Cozy, mainly because you actually LIKE the characters. Claire is the single mother of Caron, a teenaged daughter who's at the age of speaking in ALL CAPS. Claire is also the proprietor of a bookstore (which she doesn't seem to spend much time in, on account of solving murders and trying to calm Caron down to at least italics). Peter is Claire's detective boyfriend whom she's lucky to have, otherwise she'd spend the majority of her time in a holding cell ...more
Dharia Scarab
Dec 21, 2013 Dharia Scarab rated it liked it

4 sta
Kyrie
Mar 24, 2015 Kyrie rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Claire inserts herself into another mystery. To be fair, it is right next door. She is so like an adult version of her daughter. I like the word play. I want to smack Caron and shake Claire.

None of the sorority sisters are at all nice. The housemother is an alcoholic and well, the school administration and the local chapter head are all portrayed as only being out for themselves. Yeah, it's funny, but sad, too.
Carole
Dec 30, 2012 Carole rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012-books-read
Joan Hess writes two series, both set in Arkansas, and both with mixtures of humor and mystery. This series is about Claire Malloy, a bookstore owner in a small college town, who's always getting involved in murders and suffering through her teenaged daughter's moods and schemes. This time Claire gets mixed up with a sorority next door to her apartment.
Mary Newcomb
Claire Malloy, bookseller and mother to drama queen Caron, meets her neighbors. These are not ordinary neighbors, these are the women of Kappa Theta Eta. Amidst screams, a mysterious death, a gambling raid and more Claire figures out that all is not well. This is not high brow mystery but an entertaining read.
Alison
Jun 13, 2008 Alison rated it it was ok
This book is somewhere in the middle of the series...I probably should have searched out the first one. I just didn't care for the main character that much (maybe because I jumped in and don't know all the history there). I didn't care for how sarcastic she was about her daughter but maybe I'll appreciate that more when I have a teenage daughter!
Sandy Weir
Nov 17, 2013 Sandy Weir rated it really liked it
Shelves: cottage-mystery
My friend Susan gave me the first book in the series and I am off trying to assemble and enjoy all of the rest! I enjoy the relationship Mrs Malloy has with her daughter (I often feel like the conversation is in thought bubbles). The character Inez helps this be very smooth. I liked the comments on sorority life and teen's impressions of budgeting.
Mary  (Biblophile)
Another enjoyable Claire Malloy cozy. Caron and Inez, as usual are a hoot. Caron informs Claire that she is going to become rich enough to buy a car by selling cosmetics. Unfortunately, girls at the local college sorority are being murdered. Enter Claire who tees off Lt.Rosen to no end.
Christine
Out on a Limb
Goodby Body
Debbie
Jun 12, 2008 Debbie rated it liked it
The whole Claire Malloy series by Joan Hess is among my favorites. I have read many if almost all of them. I love the interplay between mother and daughter in the books and the humor. It is light reading and great for a laugh.
Emily Corse
May 14, 2011 Emily Corse rated it it was ok
I actually prefer the Maggody books. The main characters in the Meloy books are just relentlessly cranky, whiny, and unlikeable. They tire me. Probably serves me right for trying to read cozy mysteries.
Jan
Mar 11, 2015 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I really enjoy Clair Malloy, especially her interactions with her teenage daughter. fun mystery, fast read
Shirley
Mar 28, 2010 Shirley rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Always like the sarcastic wit of Joan Hell, and her plot is generally good as well, but always need to let a little time go by in between reading her.
Marcia
Jun 10, 2011 Marcia rated it really liked it
This is a delightful Hess mystery set in a small college town. Hess weaves a murder mystery into summer school and sorority secrets.
Ann Marie
Jan 08, 2015 Ann Marie rated it really liked it
Typical Joan Hess. If you like the Claire Malloy series you will enjoy this one. A few surprises. Light mystery. I enjoyed it.
Lizz
Sep 15, 2010 Lizz rated it it was ok
This was the first, and last, book that I read from the Claire Malloy series. Although I love cozy mysteries, it was still too simplistic and cutsie for me.
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2011
Linda B
Linda B rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2010
Rita
Rita rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2008
Lora Rayner
Lora Rayner rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2013
Beth Revers
Beth Revers rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2013
Beth
Beth rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2012
Irinel Finco
Irinel Finco rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2016
Leslie Howard
Leslie Howard rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2013
Lorraine
Jun 29, 2014 Lorraine rated it really liked it
Good summertime read.
Angela Terry
Angela Terry rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2012
  • Something Wicked (Death on Demand, #3)
  • The Class Menagerie (Jane Jeffry, #4)
  • Murder in the Queen's Armes (Gideon Oliver, #3)
  • Marriage Is Murder (Jenny Cain, #4)
  • Silver Scream (Bed-and-Breakfast, #18)
  • Mama Gets Hitched (A Mace Bauer Mystery, #3)
  • Promises of Home
  • With Friends Like These... (Amanda Pepper, #4)
  • A Wicked Slice (Lee Ofsted, #1)
  • The Spring Cleaning Murders (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #7)
Joan Hess is the author of both the Claire Malloy and the Maggody mystery series. She is a winner of the American Mystery Award, a member of Sisters in Crime, and a former president of the American Crime Writers League. She lives in Fayetteville, Arkansas.

Joan Hess also writes a mystery series under the pseudonym of Joan Hadley.

Series contributed to:
. Crosswinds
. The Year's 25 Finest Crime and Mys
More about Joan Hess...

Claire Malloy (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Strangled Prose (Claire Malloy, #1)
  • The Murder at the Murder at the Mimosa Inn (Claire Malloy, #2)
  • Dear Miss Demeanor (Claire Malloy, #3)
  • A Really Cute Corpse (Claire Malloy, #4)
  • A Diet to Die For (Claire Malloy, #5)
  • Roll Over and Play Dead (Claire Malloy, #6)
  • Death by the Light of the Moon (Claire Malloy, #7)
  • Tickled to Death (Claire Malloy, #9)
  • Busy Bodies (Claire Malloy, #10)
  • Closely Akin to Murder (Claire Malloy, #11)