Start by marking “Roll Over and Play Dead (Claire Malloy, #6)” as Want to Read:
Roll Over and Play Dead (Claire Malloy, #6)

Roll Over and Play Dead (Claire Malloy #6)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  409 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Murder is going to the dogs. . .

Bookstore owner and amateur sleuth Claire Malloy has donned another hat (or is that a collar?)-as a petsitter extraordinaire. Her furry charges are Miss Emily Parchester's beloved basset hounds, Nick and Nora, and two very good dogs they are. Everything is just ducky...until they vanish. Other neighbors' pets have also disappeared, and no do
Published May 18th 2003 by Minotaur Books (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Roll Over and Play Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Roll Over and Play Dead

Jeanne
I generally enjoy Claire Malloy Mysteries more. This one had such a hostile portrayal of pit bulls with no balancing perspective, that I was offended. Other than her lack of good judgment in this, it was a passable story.
Sally906
Opening Sentence: “…One of these days I am going to take a three-day seminar in assertiveness training …”

The reason Claire Malloy wants assertiveness training is because she has been unable to say no to a retired school teacher and has ended up agreeing to care for Emily’s African Violets and two Basset Hounds. It is the second part of the chores that has Claire up in arms – she is not a dog person. Nothing personal against dogs of course, as she isn’t really what you could call a cat person eit
Kristin
This was an OK book, but not necessarily what I was expecting. I'm used to reading these dog-related mystery novels where every one in the series is about dogs, but this one just happens to be a dog mystery in a series otherwise devoid of them. Therefore, I didn't feel the bond I often do with the dog books, and felt the author, having limited canine expertise compared to the other authors, left a little lacking.
The main character/sleuth is a bookstore owner who hates dogs yet somehow agrees to
Krystle Kouture
Okay mystery, but not for dog lovers. The main characters pretty much hate animals.
Also, the main character's constant drinking in response to stress is overdone.
Charlene Gordon
Ok book. Not as good as her Maggody series. Read this in 1998.
Chana
Charming and funny, Joan Hess is my favorite author of witty, amateur sleuth mysteries. In this story it is 2 basset hounds that she is dog sitting that go missing. There are other pets missing as well. Where have they gone? Who left the gates open, who took the animals and for what nefarious purposes? Half the fun here is the dialogue, especially between amateur sleuth and bookstore owner Claire Malloy and her teenage daughter Caron. Such funny dialogue.
If you like light hearted mysteries that
Elle
May 10, 2011 Elle rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: mbc
A bit rough around the edges. The protagonist is funny, but the author seems to be trying a bit too hard. The dislike of dogs bothered some people. It was a bit too over the top. The daughter was pretty funny, and the mother-daughter relationship was entertaining, though I wondered about the protagonist could know so little about her daughter...
Kyrie
Slightly less than halfway through this book, I wasn't sure I was going to be able to finish it. What does it say that I can happily read about murder, but not about cruelty to animals?
I confess to reading the ending before continuing.
Good plot, great characters, and really hard for animal lovers.
Janeene
I picked this up as a quick read for while I walk on the treadmill. I had not read any of the previous ones in the series. Liked it and may read a couple more in the series to see if I want to continue. A light mystery read.

J
Angie Lee
For a quick little distraction this wasn't bad. Sometimes I felt the dialogue was trying to hard to be hip but Hess has a great way of describing characters. On the shorter side so a good weekend read
Mary Newcomb
Pet and plant sitting leads Claire into a complicated situation. Other than the frogs and Newton Churls, everything turns out well (and the frog situation rather depends on your point of view).

Kathleen Huben
I expected to enjoy this book since I usually enjoy Joan Hess, but i just couldn't get into it.
Phhornbuckle
Clever and funny without being air-headed! Would read more in the series.
Barbara
A pretty good mystery. Perhaps not my favorite of hers, but good.
Rebecca
Poor portrayal of pit bulls.
Jeanette
An ok read.
Kristen Ray
Kristen Ray marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Skyler
Skyler marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Oct 29, 2014
Mamak
Mamak added it
Oct 29, 2014
  • Honeymoon With Murder (Death on Demand, #4)
  • The Mummers' Curse (Amanda Pepper, #7)
  • Child of Silence (Bo Bradley, #1)
  • Engaged to Die (Death on Demand, #14)
  • A Wicked Slice (Lee Ofsted, #1)
  • Wrack and Rune (Peter Shandy, #3)
  • Murder Shoots the Bull (Southern Sisters Mystery, #6)
  • A Pint of Murder
Joan Hess is the author of both the Claire Malloy and the Maggody mystery series. She is a winner of the American Mystery Award, a member of Sisters in Crime, and a former president of the American Crime Writers League. She lives in Fayetteville, Arkansas.

Joan Hess also writes a mystery series under the pseudonym of Joan Hadley.

Series contributed to:
. Crosswinds
. The Year's 25 Finest Crime and Mys
More about Joan Hess...
Malice in Maggody (Arly Hanks, #1) Strangled Prose (Claire Malloy, #1) Mischief in Maggody (Arly Hanks, #2) The Murder at the Murder at the Mimosa Inn (Claire Malloy, #2) Martians in Maggody (Arly Hanks, #8)