Start by marking “Life A La Mode” as Want to Read:
Life A La Mode

Life A La Mode

What do you do when your little sister has been engaged six times, your mother is dating a man with a fish obsession, and your father has just run off with a distant cousin? Find out in Life a la Mode, the hilarious debut novel from an engaging and fresh new voice. Every girl in the city deserves a little something sweet.... Holly Phillips has reached a turning point. At t ...more
Paperback
Published September 1st 2003 by Kensington

To ask other readers questions about Life A La Mode, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life A La Mode

Renee Nash (formerly Bastet)
this is a friend of mine, very talented!
Steen
I don't really know what to say about this book. Not a lot of things really happen. I think I kept reading till the end to see if anything did....and then it ended. I guess there was sort of an ending per se but it is really left to the imagination. I also thought it would be a quick read but I found myself slugging through it.

Basically it is about Holly the eldest in her family, with a younger sister Janie and a deceased brother. Her mother and father are seperated because at a family reunion h
Shea Benden
May 05, 2016 Shea Benden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Books can do a lot of things. They can take you to mystical lands far, far away... they can transport you back in time... they can challenge the way you view yourself, others, and the world... they can educate, enlighten, and excite. Often I end up appreciating the books I read for the way they make me feel, just as much (or possibly more so) than the content they contain. When I finished this book, I felt warm and cozy. I felt hopeful. I saw some negative reviews for this book, and although a l ...more
Kourtney
Sep 13, 2010 Kourtney rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Do you think your life is boring? Do you read books to escape your everyday humdrum life? Then DO NOT READ THIS BOOK! I was bored to tears by page 60 so I started skimming the book. I cannot believe a book was published without a plot! It felt like being stuck at a party you don't want to be at listening to stories you could care less about and all you want to do is go somewhere, anywhere, else to escape. Thankfully I could shut the book and pick up something much more worthy. I had hoped that m ...more
Karen
I wonder, sometimes, how some books ever get published. Maybe the author's editorial background gave her connections. Anyhow, virtually nothing happens in this book. The main character is given an interesting family set-up, but it's never explained or developed. Almost none of the relationships in the book change, and the "heroine" doesn't seem to learn anything. I'll give it a few points for some cute dialogue and an interesting set up, though.
Kelly
Oct 14, 2016 Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked some of the quirky style of the main characters dialogue. There seemed to be a little something lacking, kind of like the main character's life, which may have been intentional. I would have like to seen a little more with the sister's ex and potential romance. Mainly because I like books wrapped up in a neat little bow at the end :).
Susan
Mar 15, 2009 Susan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't quite know how to rate this book. I've read books before (or seen movies in similar styles), and I just don't like them, even though I can recognize what they are meant to be.

This book is very stream-of-conscious. It's a book without any point at the end.

I hate myself for needing a point.
Deborah
Mar 03, 2008 Deborah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, foodie
Holly doesn't lead the most exciting life. Her sister is engaged yet again, her editing job isn't very exciting, her ex-husband starts showing up and her shy co-worker makes her origami and asks her out...
Kind of a slow story, but cute.
Stephanie Floyd
I finished this before I even got to Hilton Head. Fun book, good ending, a brief relief from the analytical reading I love so much ;) I feel like I can't rate books like these with more than 3 stars because they lack depth. But I really did like it.
Tiffany
Nov 21, 2008 Tiffany rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought that it was a VERY slow moving book. It read almost like someone's diary and thats great if you like that kind of thing but it got old very quickly for me. I couldn't even finish it because it just bore me to death. Not horrible but just not me either.
Shelley
Jul 26, 2014 Shelley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was more of a narrative about the main character's life. Was not captivating as I thought it might be.
Nicole Schafer
Cute, quick read!
Dmnous
Mar 04, 2014 Dmnous rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
TOTALLY BORING!!
Manon Klaassen
Easy breasy, quick and nice read.
Kristin R
Jan 29, 2014 Kristin R rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I'm sorry to say this was not very good. I hate to write bad reviews, but it was really a waste of time. This was just a very dull character and nothing exciting happened over the course of the book.
Velda
Velda rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2013
Helen
Helen rated it it was ok
Feb 11, 2013
Jennifer rated it it was ok
Aug 17, 2014
Maureen
Maureen rated it it was ok
Apr 02, 2012
WifeMomKnitter
WifeMomKnitter rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2009
Cindy
Cindy rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2013
Lien Saechao
Lien Saechao rated it it was ok
Jun 04, 2013
Jill Yesko
Jill Yesko rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2012
Kelsey
Kelsey rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2007
Darlene
Darlene rated it it was ok
Sep 09, 2011
Emily
Emily rated it it was ok
Aug 18, 2010
Katy LaFary
Katy LaFary rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2009
Nicole
Nicole rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • On the Couch
  • Seven Sunny Days
  • Where Is He Now?
  • The Art of Undressing
  • The Butcher of Beverly Hills (McAffee Twins, #1)
  • City Dog
  • Sleeping Over
  • The Girlfriend Curse
  • Suburbanistas
  • Losing It
  • Hating Valentine's Day
  • Roommates
  • Crossing the Line (Jane Taylor, #2)
  • The Last Year of Being Single (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • Dixieland Sushi