Start by marking “My ABC Bible Verses” as Want to Read:
My ABC Bible Verses

My ABC Bible Verses

Thy Word have I hid in my heart that I might not sin against thee. ~Psalm 119:11

Knowing the Bible can help you know God better. Here is a colorful, story-filled way for even the youngest child to take God's Word to heart—and learn the alphabet too!

Presented in an easy-to-use story format that applies individual Bible verses to real-life situations, this illustrated book fo
Published July 1st 1998 by Crossway Books

To ask other readers questions about My ABC Bible Verses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My ABC Bible Verses

Elizabeth
May 24, 2009 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Mandynewman
Love, Love, LOVE this book. We have been reading one story (or letter) each day for one week, and then moving onto the next letter. By the end of the week, Catherine (and sometimes even Santi) knows the verse cold and can apply it in its proper context, especially if reinforced throughout the day and put to a tune. I love/need having direction like this, in such an age-appropriate form! Yay! I also love how all the ones we've read so far apply so much on a daily basis, particularly in the contex ...more
Becky Sayler
Feb 09, 2014 Becky Sayler rated it really liked it
Shelves: family-devotions
There are 26 Bible verses in this book that even young children can memorize – one for each letter of the alphabet. The verses are related to a story about a brother and sister (Missy and Bill) who apply the verse to a situation they are facing. Missy and Bill are pretty much perfect models of behavior (so not like real kids much): they talk through problems with their parents, recall Bible verses for wisdom, are tempted by their friends but refrain from most misbehavior. Nevertheless, the autho ...more
Krista
Oct 26, 2011 Krista rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, read-to-kids
"My ABC Bible Verses" is great for helping parents start their kids off memorizing scripture and understanding what the verses mean. It is easy for the kids to learn these verses, and also easy for parents to adapt each page to their children's ages and level of comprehension. My daughter memorized all the verses shortly before she turned 2 1/2. Yes, really! All we did was read a few before bedtime, basically according to the book's suggestions for each page (although often my daughter would ins ...more
Jeremy
Very good balance of instruction and reliance on God's grace. Good review questions and emphasis on relating passages to each other. Each entry has a suggested topic for prayer. We didn't focus on memory as much as we focused on reading. Kate could read most of the verses without help when we finished. One story talks about how our souls will live with God forever, so that was a little disappointing.

Read again in Feb/March 2017.
Gigi
Mar 20, 2012 Gigi rated it really liked it
At first my kids loved this book and wanted to read more and more, but their enthusiasm waned after we finished it. They did memorize verses from it and it was a great help for me to put up memory verses for them that were age appropriate. The stories can seem cheesy, but are simple and applicable to young children. I thought there was a possibility that it could be overly-religious, but it stayed true to scripture and having a relationship with Jesus rather than just being good.
Kendra Fletcher
Jun 24, 2012 Kendra Fletcher rated it it was amazing
These are the verses we all know now. What a great thing for little ones to start out with a simple memory tool-

A- A soft answer turns away wrath.
B- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God.
C- Children obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord.

etc.
Julie
May 22, 2012 Julie rated it it was amazing
We used this book for preschool. We loved the verses. I also love how the book encourages kids to depend on the Holy Spirit and not try to do things on their own strength. My kids love reading about what will happen to Missy and Bill. The application was good, but we somestimes acted out puppet shows to give a more personal application.
Graceianna
Oct 05, 2012 Graceianna rated it it was amazing
I'm so interested with this book. When I saw this book, I rembered my babies at sunday school. So, before I share the stories to them I read it first. Amazingly, this book can touch my heart too. I hope my babies will feel the same or even more than me. Thank to Susan Hunt who wrote this book. God bless you richly :)
Karen
Apr 20, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jacob, ellie, mom, dad
This is a wonderful book. We have read it twice. I am now using it as copy work and memory work on those weeks that we do not have a memory verse at CBS. Will also continue to use it through the summer when we take a break from CBS. The kids love this book because it gives a short story/example of the memory verse in action.
Lisa
Nov 03, 2007 Lisa added it
If you have small children you must have this book!
Dec 20, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
My kids really like the stories, and they in turn help remind them and me about the meaning of the Scripture verses to hide in our hearts. Very practical book for family life!
Jen
Apr 25, 2010 Jen rated it liked it
Again, my review is based on the fact that this book for 3 year olds and up? has 95% words and 5% illustrations. Makes me not even want to read the content.
Marie
Feb 11, 2009 Marie rated it it was amazing
We have just recently started using this as a devotional book with my two year old daughter. The stories are short enough for her attention span.
Bree
Jul 09, 2012 Bree rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-nf-books
Notes:
If it weren't ABC and just focused on good verses for kids to learn it would've been better.
Short story with each verse to see kids acting on God's word.
Used this for age 4-5
Courtney
Apr 14, 2010 Courtney rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone with young children
My boys LOVE reading this book. We read it twice a day (before nap and before bedtime). They are learning His word and how to apply it in their daily lives.
Joyce Kerrick
Joyce Kerrick rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2014
Dallis
Dallis rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2015
Amber
Amber rated it it was ok
Apr 15, 2016
Keeshan
Keeshan rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2017
Crystal
Crystal rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2008
Laura Brownstein
Laura Brownstein rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2015
Anjanette Barr
Anjanette Barr rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2011
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2015
Natalie McAfee
Natalie McAfee rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2017
Amina Levy
Amina Levy rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2015
Tara
Tara rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2014
Erin
Erin rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2013
RuthAnne
RuthAnne rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2013
Danielle Fowler
Danielle Fowler rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2015
Jill
Jill rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Lightlings
  • The Jesus Storybook Bible: Every Story Whispers His Name
  • Tabitha's Travels: A Family Story For Advent (Jotham's Journey Trilogy)
  • The Biggest Story: How the Snake Crusher Brings Us Back to the Garden
  • Parenting in the pew : guiding your children into the joy of worship
  • The Beginner's Bible: Timeless Children's Stories
  • A Child's Book of Poems
  • The Story of Me (God’s Design for Sex, #1)
  • The Lamb and the Butterfly
  • The Most Important Place on Earth: What a Christian Home Looks Like and How to Build One
  • Little Rabbit and the Meanest Mother on Earth
  • Baa-Choo!
  • Dancing Dinos Go to School
  • HarperCollins Treasury of Picture Book Classics: A Child's First Collection
  • The Children's Illustrated Bible
  • The Big Green Pocketbook
  • Count!
  • Leading Little Ones to God: A Child's Book of Bible Teachings
Susan Hunt is a mother and grandmother, a pastor’s wife, and the former Director of Women’s Ministries for the Presbyterian Church in America. Holding a degree in Christian education from Columbia Theological Seminary, she has written a number of books, including several by Crossway.
More about Susan Hunt...