SuperHero ABC

SuperHero ABC

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  352 ratings  ·  93 reviews
Silly and zany, and armed with the most unusual skills, these heroes are out to save the world-one letter at a time! bubble-Man blows big bubbles at bullies, and laughing lass laughs at lawbreakers! together, these one-of-a-kind defenders represent the ABC's in a way never seen before.

Renowned comic-book illustrator bob mcleod has created a full cast of humorous and deligh...more
Published January 24th 2006 by HarperCollins

Chris
My five year old daughter LOVES this book. She picked it from the library and after the third reading today said "Mom, wouldn't it be great if the librarian said I could keep this for TEN weeks?" While I have never had much interest in superheroes myself, my daughter likes them, so this book held her interest and sparked her imagination. "Rain Man" has been "living" in our house all afternoon. What I liked about it was that it sparked discussion about lots of vocabulary words that are good to kn...more
Evan Taylor
“When I was having alphabet soup, I never thought it would pay off.” -Vanna White

It’s a bird, it’s a plane..no, it’s Superhero ABCs. Have you ever read through an alphabet book and already known that “A” would stand for apple, “B” for ball, “C” for cat and so on and so forth? You will not get this feeling when reading Bob McLeod’s SuperHero ABC, because he takes an innovative look at the alphabet through a heroic eye. Instead of “A” standing for apple, it stands for Astro Man who is “always aler...more
Chelsea
Sep 18, 2013 Chelsea rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: abc
This book travels through the alphabet with vibrant and active superhero characters. Each superhero goes with a letter of the alphabet with a mission to fight crime! This book is very creative and is a good read for both boys and girls of young ages. It is a good read aloud book because of the vibrant and fun illustrations. It will keep children engaged and wanting to come up with superheroes of their own. It would also be a fun book to have children act out. They can pick their favorite superhe...more
Tdavis
Mar 02, 2011 Tdavis rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Preschool - 3rd Grade
From Astro-Man to the Zinger, this ABC book is packed full of child appealing superheroes! The individual alphabet letters are bold and highlight a different superhero. Also, the added alliteration of the text effectively emphasizes the letter sounds: "Danger Man, Does Daring Deeds Every Day".

Early Literacy Skills:

Letter Knowledge
Vocabulary
Phonological Awareness
Print Awareness
Print Motivation

Went over great in Preschool Story Hour and older kids check it out too!
Amy
My nephew loved this book! I love it too. It's a very cool way to work on the alphabet with kids. Bright, superhero colors, action packed illustrations, and a great mix of male and female superheroes. My nephew requested that we read a "cool book" a few days ago, and after we read this, he told me it was cool. Yea! :-) I'm glad he liked it! Oh, and he even pointed out to me that many of the bystanders in the pictures were wearing superhero T-shirts that had superheroes in the book on them! A nic...more
Jacqueline Rushing
I was definitely happy that the ladies at Barnes and Noble pointed me toward this ABC book. Each page is like a frame from a comic strip with each letter respresenting a different super hero and has a quick blurb about them and even what the regular people think about them. The pictures are very colorful and bright. My favorite page is the "Dd" page. "Danger Man does daring deeds every day" and he "duels with dragons", is very "dramatic", but he "doesn't have a dog." This book is great for kids...more
Kim
I've checked this book out to a preschool and had them renew it three months in a row.
I've seen this book be the most popular in a first grade classroom.

ABC are often dull for me. They're long, repetitive, and really hard to innovate. The great draw of this book is that it has superheroes, and kids crave superhero stories at preschool age but none of the stories, cartoons, or comics are quite appropriate for them yet. This is an excellent bridge to those years.
Haley Heinkel
I loved this book! Super Heros ABC is a great mix of the ABC's and superheros. the illustrations were amazing and the texts on each page were creatively written in bubbles. Each letter has a super hero. Kids will love the dramatic comic-style illustrations and big bubble letters. There is all different types of superheros traditional and non traditional all funny and interacting. Indubitably.
Mother Goossen
6-year-old says "I give this one 10 million stars"
Theresa
This review is based on what Geoffrey says. When I asked him if he was done with the book and if I could take it back to work, he said yes and "It is a very good book." Scott read this to him several times. The book combines the elements small boys find appealing: superheros, bold and colorful illustrations, great and fun alliteration.
Sandra Vicars
A comic book style ABC book sure to capture the attention of young boys (and girls too!). Kids will love the superpower for The Volcano! The graphics are interesting and will delight young readers. Provides many vocabulary words for each letter. What superhero lies within you?
Ellen
Julian, age 5, says: "I really like the Volcano man who vomits on villians. It's so funny. I also like the Yellow Yeller and the Zinger who zooms through zeroes. I like everything in the book. It's one of my total favorites."

Mom likes it, too.

Jenae
One of our local authors (and his wife is my Avon customer!) ... my boys have always loved this book. The illustrations are very vibrant and full of life. We have it in paperback and hardcover! Bob's a great guy too! :)
Rachel
The was a great approach to an alphabet book--I'm guessing it reaches a crowd that might not be interested in the other types. The alliterations are funny and my kids ages 5-10 loved it!
Adrianne
What's better than a book about a Superhero? A book with 26 Superheroes!

Cleverly drawn and written. Watch out for V.

Because of this book, my son makes sure that we never j-walk.
Liz  Dalton
My kids loved this book! Even the boys, who usually are not thrilled when it's time to read a book, we're enthralled! Highly recommended!
Chenae
I'm a fan of this book.
Vicki Kier
Adults looking for a fun alternative to traditional alphabet books will enjoy sharing this one by long-time Marvel and DC illustrator, Bob McLeod, whose comic-book-style artwork is sure to engage the imagination of preschoolers everywhere. Backdrop spectators are diverse, but superheroes are almost exclusively either attractively thin women or muscularly handsome men.

Alliterative descriptors of alpha-heroes are prominently displayed at the top of each page beside shadow-font upper and lower cas...more
Joshua Cummins
Superhero ABC is a fun and effective way to teach children their ABC's. For each letter there is a superhero whose name starts with that particular letter and their unusual skills all start with that letter as well. For example, "Goo Girl shoots Great Gobs of Goo at Gangsters" and "Night Man: Noises at Night Never make him Nervous". Pairing each letter with a superhero and special talents is a genius idea to get kids to learn their ABC's, as Bob McLeod does very well. What do kids love more than...more
Maggie Stiefvater
My 4 year old daughter picked this one off the library shelf and I have to admit I was pretty dubious. I'm not a big superhero fan (although Batman rules, naturally), so I thought reading this to her would be pretty tedious.

Heck, no. This turned out to be a snickeringly funny ABC with ludicrous superheros such as "Multiplying Mike (becomes Many More Men in Minutes" and "The Volcano (Vomits on Villains)". Illustrated earnestly in perfect comic style, I have to say I was completely won over. And...more
Ria Gill
SuperHero ABC by Bob McLeod is a large, hardcover, superhero book that teaches letter recognition and beginning sounds. With vividly illustrated superheroes on each page, it will easy to keep a child or children's attention. This book would make a terrific read aloud for toddlers through first grade.
Rebecca Saxon
A fun alphabet book for superhero obsessed kids. There's decent diversity, but I feel it could have been even more gender balanced and had more racial diversity. Since the author's making up superheroes, why still have so many white guys? But still better than a lot of the white superhero books.
Paul Farbman
Apr 17, 2014 Paul Farbman rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Kindergarten - First Grade
Shelves: ch-04-alphabet
Superhero ABC is a magnificent way to teach kids about their abc's! A new hero is introduced for each letter sound with very unusual powers. The majority of the words on the page use alliteration of the letter being discussed. A similar technique is used for the vowels.

Both men and women are portrayed as heroes, making the book appeal to boys and girls.
May 21, 2008 Jennifer rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: k-3rd graders, reluctant readers, tutoring programs
Recommended to Jennifer by: book list
Witty, clever rhymes, and bold pictures of superheroes will have both kids and adults amused, in this beautiful alphabet book written by well-known comic book author Bob McLeod. This is a great book for elementary school kids learning how things sound-there are lots of opportunities for tie-ins with art and writing projects with this book.

CIP:Humorous SuperHeroes such as Goo Girl and The Volcano represent the letters of the alphabet from A to Z.

"This frothy mix of laughs, giggles and Good Guys z...more
Heather
We have boys. Four of them. So we read a lot of superhero stuff. No matter how bad it is, if it's about superheroes, we must read it.

So the kids found this at the library and I let them check it out, inwardly groaning.

This was pretty funny though. Each letter has a superhero and their powers usually start with the letter as well. There are several little dialogue bubbles with funny comments and/or sound effects.

The boys really, really liked this one. I didn't mind reading it. My husband thought...more
Derek Brown
Reaching your kids the alphabet and inspire a love of comics at the same time? Sign me up. We loved reading the fun characters. My daughter is 8 and still remembers how much fun this was to read way back when.
Emily
This book would be a real hit with my students, especially those who love graphic novels and comics. A neat activity would be to have the students create their own superhero posters with an A-Z acrostic poem.
Kaethe
To be properly enjoyed, when I read this everyone has to choose their favorite superhero to be.

2010 April 15

Interesting thing I noticed last night for the first time: all the bad guys are, in fact, guys.

Sandy
A great ABC book that is different in so many ways. This large book has pictures that are bright and bold and the each page is loaded with words for that letter in sentence format. I have taken this book to school with me and the students just love this book and want me to reread it to them when I am finished. Yes, some of the words will get tons of laughs (goo girl, odor officier, upside-down man) and kids will start to get creative with their own ABC words to add to the page. Great book, I hig...more
Sarah Souther
Some superhero fans aren't quite ready for The Dark Knight, but they're ready for this comic cavalcade of caped characters. Each superhero has his or her alliterative description with extra alphabetically-appropriate details thrown in. "Danger Man does daring deeds every day (He's dramatic! He duels with dragons! He doesn't have a dog!)." McLeod's graphic style is dead-on classic superhero (not a surprise, he's illustrated D.C. & Marvel Comics), with a bit of 1970s color scheme thrown in. Wa...more
How do you share this with your classes? 1 9 Jan 08, 2009 05:42PM
  • Alphabet Mystery
  • Unlovable
  • Q Is for Duck: An Alphabet Guessing Game
  • The Great Fuzz Frenzy
  • What are You So Grumpy About?
  • LMNO Peas
  • When Dinosaurs Came with Everything
  • Timothy and the Strong Pajamas
  • The Astonishing Secret of Awesome Man
  • LaRue for Mayor: Letters from the Campaign
  • The Secret Science Project That Almost Ate the School (Paula Wiseman Books)
  • I'm Mighty!
I was born and raised in Tampa, Florida. For most of my career I was an artist for Marvel and DC Comics, pencilling several issues of Star Wars, Spider-Man and Superman, and inking The Incredible Hulk, Wonder Woman, Batman and many more. In 1982, I co-created The New Mutants, a group of younger X-Men, for Marvel Comics.
In 2006, I wrote and illustrated my first children's book, SuperHero ABC, a h...more
More about Bob McLeod...
How to Draw Ghost Rider How to Draw Spider Man WWMD What Would Mohammed Do? Reality Road: Journey in the Light Away With Words:Lyrics of Bob in the Cloud