Start by marking “SuperHero ABC” as Want to Read:
SuperHero ABC

SuperHero ABC

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  578 Ratings  ·  122 Reviews
Silly and zany, and armed with the most unusual skills, these heroes are out to save the world-one letter at a time! bubble-Man blows big bubbles at bullies, and laughing lass laughs at lawbreakers! together, these one-of-a-kind defenders represent the ABC's in a way never seen before.

Renowned comic-book illustrator bob mcleod has created a full cast of humorous and deligh
Published January 24th 2006 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about SuperHero ABC, please sign up.

Bob Sorry for not responding sooner, Henry. No, I created all new heroes for this book. I didn't want DC or Marvel telling me how to do it, and if you…moreSorry for not responding sooner, Henry. No, I created all new heroes for this book. I didn't want DC or Marvel telling me how to do it, and if you look at the book you'll understand that established heroes weren't needed for my purpose, which was humor and fun.(less)

Chris
Apr 18, 2011 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
My five year old daughter LOVES this book. She picked it from the library and after the third reading today said "Mom, wouldn't it be great if the librarian said I could keep this for TEN weeks?" While I have never had much interest in superheroes myself, my daughter likes them, so this book held her interest and sparked her imagination. "Rain Man" has been "living" in our house all afternoon. What I liked about it was that it sparked discussion about lots of vocabulary words that are good to kn ...more
Niki (Daydream Reader)
May son Sam loves this book.
Evan Taylor
“When I was having alphabet soup, I never thought it would pay off.” -Vanna White

It’s a bird, it’s a plane..no, it’s Superhero ABCs. Have you ever read through an alphabet book and already known that “A” would stand for apple, “B” for ball, “C” for cat and so on and so forth? You will not get this feeling when reading Bob McLeod’s SuperHero ABC, because he takes an innovative look at the alphabet through a heroic eye. Instead of “A” standing for apple, it stands for Astro Man who is “always aler
Annie
Feb 05, 2015 Annie rated it really liked it
Shelves: abc
SuperHero ABC is a book that both adults and children would love. It has brightly colored pictures of superheroes, each named with the letter of the alphabet. The pictures tend to span both pages with nice, large illustrations. Little boys and girls alike would love the pictures and the funny jokes. My favourite was Ll-the superhero with Big Lips.

I probably would have rated this five stars except for one major mistake. There is an invisible girl-only the bad guy goes right through her. There see
Chelsea
Sep 18, 2013 Chelsea rated it really liked it
Shelves: abc
This book travels through the alphabet with vibrant and active superhero characters. Each superhero goes with a letter of the alphabet with a mission to fight crime! This book is very creative and is a good read for both boys and girls of young ages. It is a good read aloud book because of the vibrant and fun illustrations. It will keep children engaged and wanting to come up with superheroes of their own. It would also be a fun book to have children act out. They can pick their favorite superhe ...more
Tdavis
Mar 02, 2011 Tdavis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Preschool - 3rd Grade
From Astro-Man to the Zinger, this ABC book is packed full of child appealing superheroes! The individual alphabet letters are bold and highlight a different superhero. Also, the added alliteration of the text effectively emphasizes the letter sounds: "Danger Man, Does Daring Deeds Every Day".

Early Literacy Skills:

Letter Knowledge
Vocabulary
Phonological Awareness
Print Awareness
Print Motivation

Went over great in Preschool Story Hour and older kids check it out too!
Amy
Dec 28, 2011 Amy rated it it was amazing
My nephew loved this book! I love it too. It's a very cool way to work on the alphabet with kids. Bright, superhero colors, action packed illustrations, and a great mix of male and female superheroes. My nephew requested that we read a "cool book" a few days ago, and after we read this, he told me it was cool. Yea! :-) I'm glad he liked it! Oh, and he even pointed out to me that many of the bystanders in the pictures were wearing superhero T-shirts that had superheroes in the book on them! A nic ...more
Jacqueline Castillo
Oct 05, 2011 Jacqueline Castillo rated it liked it
Shelves: rdg334
I was definitely happy that the ladies at Barnes and Noble pointed me toward this ABC book. Each page is like a frame from a comic strip with each letter respresenting a different super hero and has a quick blurb about them and even what the regular people think about them. The pictures are very colorful and bright. My favorite page is the "Dd" page. "Danger Man does daring deeds every day" and he "duels with dragons", is very "dramatic", but he "doesn't have a dog." This book is great for kids ...more
Deatrice
May 11, 2015 Deatrice rated it it was amazing
This book is totally awesome! My 3 year who is in utter fascination with all things superhero was glued to the illustrations and adored the funny descriptions!
Leslie Fisher
Jan 17, 2015 Leslie Fisher rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
This is actually a really great and fun book for learning the ABC's and their sounds. It has fun, colorful illustrations of super heroes, along with descriptions of the superhero containing lots of great words starting with the featured letter of the alphabet. I think this book really appeals to kids because of the super-hero concept, but it is also fun for the adults to read. Being a parent of preschoolers, I have read so many different ABC books, but this one is one of the best ones that I hav ...more
Kim
Aug 23, 2011 Kim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: superhero, alphabet
I've checked this book out to a preschool and had them renew it three months in a row.
I've seen this book be the most popular in a first grade classroom.

ABC are often dull for me. They're long, repetitive, and really hard to innovate. The great draw of this book is that it has superheroes, and kids crave superhero stories at preschool age but none of the stories, cartoons, or comics are quite appropriate for them yet. This is an excellent bridge to those years.
Haley Heinkel
Oct 09, 2011 Haley Heinkel rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Super Heros ABC is a great mix of the ABC's and superheros. the illustrations were amazing and the texts on each page were creatively written in bubbles. Each letter has a super hero. Kids will love the dramatic comic-style illustrations and big bubble letters. There is all different types of superheros traditional and non traditional all funny and interacting. Indubitably.
Mother Goossen
Feb 19, 2014 Mother Goossen rated it it was amazing
6-year-old says "I give this one 10 million stars"
Paul Farbman
Apr 17, 2014 Paul Farbman rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Kindergarten - First Grade
Shelves: ch-04-alphabet
Superhero ABC is a magnificent way to teach kids about their abc's! A new hero is introduced for each letter sound with very unusual powers. The majority of the words on the page use alliteration of the letter being discussed. A similar technique is used for the vowels.

Both men and women are portrayed as heroes, making the book appeal to boys and girls.
Theresa
May 07, 2009 Theresa rated it it was amazing
This review is based on what Geoffrey says. When I asked him if he was done with the book and if I could take it back to work, he said yes and "It is a very good book." Scott read this to him several times. The book combines the elements small boys find appealing: superheros, bold and colorful illustrations, great and fun alliteration.
Ria Gill
May 04, 2014 Ria Gill rated it really liked it
SuperHero ABC by Bob McLeod is a large, hardcover, superhero book that teaches letter recognition and beginning sounds. With vividly illustrated superheroes on each page, it will easy to keep a child or children's attention. This book would make a terrific read aloud for toddlers through first grade.
Erin
Aug 09, 2014 Erin rated it it was amazing
Great book! It is so hard to find "boy" books, but I used to read this to my nephew years ago. He was never a patient listener, but he would sit for multiple readings. I now give this to any expectant mother who knows there is a boy on the way. Wonderful and creative.
Sandra Vicars
Sep 15, 2011 Sandra Vicars rated it really liked it
Shelves: rdg-334
A comic book style ABC book sure to capture the attention of young boys (and girls too!). Kids will love the superpower for The Volcano! The graphics are interesting and will delight young readers. Provides many vocabulary words for each letter. What superhero lies within you?
Ellen
Nov 28, 2008 Ellen rated it really liked it
Julian, age 5, says: "I really like the Volcano man who vomits on villians. It's so funny. I also like the Yellow Yeller and the Zinger who zooms through zeroes. I like everything in the book. It's one of my total favorites."

Mom likes it, too.

Kaethe
To be properly enjoyed, when I read this everyone has to choose their favorite superhero to be.

2010 April 15

Interesting thing I noticed last night for the first time: all the bad guys are, in fact, guys.

Jenae
Oct 30, 2013 Jenae rated it really liked it
One of our local authors (and his wife is my Avon customer!) ... my boys have always loved this book. The illustrations are very vibrant and full of life. We have it in paperback and hardcover! Bob's a great guy too! :)
Derek Brown
Jan 04, 2016 Derek Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Teaching your kids the alphabet and inspire a love of comics at the same time? Sign me up. We loved reading the fun characters. My daughter is 8 and still remembers how much fun this was to read way back when.
Emily
Feb 24, 2014 Emily rated it really liked it
This book would be a real hit with my students, especially those who love graphic novels and comics. A neat activity would be to have the students create their own superhero posters with an A-Z acrostic poem.
Rachel
Oct 25, 2011 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
The was a great approach to an alphabet book--I'm guessing it reaches a crowd that might not be interested in the other types. The alliterations are funny and my kids ages 5-10 loved it!
Adrianne
Aug 24, 2011 Adrianne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: a-will-favorite
What's better than a book about a Superhero? A book with 26 Superheroes!

Cleverly drawn and written. Watch out for V.

Because of this book, my son makes sure that we never j-walk.
Lacey Pyle
Jan 28, 2016 Lacey Pyle rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
“Superhero ABC” by Bob McLeod is an ABC book that children would love. McLeod teaches the alphabet by representing a super hero that begins with every letter. Each superhero has a description that uses alliteration and witty jokes that keep children and adults both entertained. This book is a large, hardcover picture book that is filled with bright, comic style illustrations taking up the entire page. Children who are still learning the alphabet would love this not so typical ABC book because it ...more
Lindsey Gibson
This story includes a superhero for every letter in the alphabet. This is a great book for teaching new readers that reading can be fun!
Liz  Dalton
Dec 10, 2013 Liz Dalton rated it it was amazing
My kids loved this book! Even the boys, who usually are not thrilled when it's time to read a book, we're enthralled! Highly recommended!
Robin Raines-Bond
Mar 05, 2015 Robin Raines-Bond rated it liked it
"Rr Rain-Man rains on random Robbers". This is an awesome book of SuperHeros to help you learn your ABC's.
How do you share this with your classes? 1 9 Jan 08, 2009 05:42PM
  • Gone Wild: An Endangered Animal Alphabet
  • Once Upon a Cool Motorcycle Dude
  • Superdog: The Heart of a Hero
  • Timothy and the Strong Pajamas
  • What are You So Grumpy About?
  • I'm Bad!
  • The Underwater Alphabet Book
  • Precious and the Boo Hag
  • Unlovable
  • Ruthie and the (Not So) Teeny Tiny Lie
I was born and raised in Tampa, Florida. For most of my career I was an artist for Marvel and DC Comics, pencilling several issues of Star Wars, Spider-Man and Superman, and inking The Incredible Hulk, Wonder Woman, Batman and many more. In 1982, I co-created The New Mutants, a group of younger X-Men, for Marvel Comics.
In 2006, I wrote and illustrated my first children's book, SuperHero ABC, a h