Start by marking “SuperHero ABC” as Want to Read:
SuperHero ABC

SuperHero ABC

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  467 ratings  ·  109 reviews
Silly and zany, and armed with the most unusual skills, these heroes are out to save the world-one letter at a time! bubble-Man blows big bubbles at bullies, and laughing lass laughs at lawbreakers! together, these one-of-a-kind defenders represent the ABC's in a way never seen before.

Renowned comic-book illustrator bob mcleod has created a full cast of humorous and deligh
Published January 24th 2006 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about SuperHero ABC, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about SuperHero ABC

Chris
My five year old daughter LOVES this book. She picked it from the library and after the third reading today said "Mom, wouldn't it be great if the librarian said I could keep this for TEN weeks?" While I have never had much interest in superheroes myself, my daughter likes them, so this book held her interest and sparked her imagination. "Rain Man" has been "living" in our house all afternoon. What I liked about it was that it sparked discussion about lots of vocabulary words that are good to kn ...more
Evan Taylor
“When I was having alphabet soup, I never thought it would pay off.” -Vanna White

It’s a bird, it’s a plane..no, it’s Superhero ABCs. Have you ever read through an alphabet book and already known that “A” would stand for apple, “B” for ball, “C” for cat and so on and so forth? You will not get this feeling when reading Bob McLeod’s SuperHero ABC, because he takes an innovative look at the alphabet through a heroic eye. Instead of “A” standing for apple, it stands for Astro Man who is “always aler
Annie
Feb 05, 2015 Annie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: abc
SuperHero ABC is a book that both adults and children would love. It has brightly colored pictures of superheroes, each named with the letter of the alphabet. The pictures tend to span both pages with nice, large illustrations. Little boys and girls alike would love the pictures and the funny jokes. My favourite was Ll-the superhero with Big Lips.

I probably would have rated this five stars except for one major mistake. There is an invisible girl-only the bad guy goes right through her. There see
Chelsea
Sep 18, 2013 Chelsea rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: abc
This book travels through the alphabet with vibrant and active superhero characters. Each superhero goes with a letter of the alphabet with a mission to fight crime! This book is very creative and is a good read for both boys and girls of young ages. It is a good read aloud book because of the vibrant and fun illustrations. It will keep children engaged and wanting to come up with superheroes of their own. It would also be a fun book to have children act out. They can pick their favorite superhe ...more
Tdavis
Mar 02, 2011 Tdavis rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Preschool - 3rd Grade
From Astro-Man to the Zinger, this ABC book is packed full of child appealing superheroes! The individual alphabet letters are bold and highlight a different superhero. Also, the added alliteration of the text effectively emphasizes the letter sounds: "Danger Man, Does Daring Deeds Every Day".

Early Literacy Skills:

Letter Knowledge
Vocabulary
Phonological Awareness
Print Awareness
Print Motivation

Went over great in Preschool Story Hour and older kids check it out too!
Amy
My nephew loved this book! I love it too. It's a very cool way to work on the alphabet with kids. Bright, superhero colors, action packed illustrations, and a great mix of male and female superheroes. My nephew requested that we read a "cool book" a few days ago, and after we read this, he told me it was cool. Yea! :-) I'm glad he liked it! Oh, and he even pointed out to me that many of the bystanders in the pictures were wearing superhero T-shirts that had superheroes in the book on them! A nic ...more
Jacqueline Rushing
I was definitely happy that the ladies at Barnes and Noble pointed me toward this ABC book. Each page is like a frame from a comic strip with each letter respresenting a different super hero and has a quick blurb about them and even what the regular people think about them. The pictures are very colorful and bright. My favorite page is the "Dd" page. "Danger Man does daring deeds every day" and he "duels with dragons", is very "dramatic", but he "doesn't have a dog." This book is great for kids ...more
Deatrice
This book is totally awesome! My 3 year who is in utter fascination with all things superhero was glued to the illustrations and adored the funny descriptions!
Leslie Fisher
This is actually a really great and fun book for learning the ABC's and their sounds. It has fun, colorful illustrations of super heroes, along with descriptions of the superhero containing lots of great words starting with the featured letter of the alphabet. I think this book really appeals to kids because of the super-hero concept, but it is also fun for the adults to read. Being a parent of preschoolers, I have read so many different ABC books, but this one is one of the best ones that I hav ...more
Kim
I've checked this book out to a preschool and had them renew it three months in a row.
I've seen this book be the most popular in a first grade classroom.

ABC are often dull for me. They're long, repetitive, and really hard to innovate. The great draw of this book is that it has superheroes, and kids crave superhero stories at preschool age but none of the stories, cartoons, or comics are quite appropriate for them yet. This is an excellent bridge to those years.
Haley Heinkel
I loved this book! Super Heros ABC is a great mix of the ABC's and superheros. the illustrations were amazing and the texts on each page were creatively written in bubbles. Each letter has a super hero. Kids will love the dramatic comic-style illustrations and big bubble letters. There is all different types of superheros traditional and non traditional all funny and interacting. Indubitably.
Mother Goossen
6-year-old says "I give this one 10 million stars"
Theresa
This review is based on what Geoffrey says. When I asked him if he was done with the book and if I could take it back to work, he said yes and "It is a very good book." Scott read this to him several times. The book combines the elements small boys find appealing: superheros, bold and colorful illustrations, great and fun alliteration.
Sandra Vicars
A comic book style ABC book sure to capture the attention of young boys (and girls too!). Kids will love the superpower for The Volcano! The graphics are interesting and will delight young readers. Provides many vocabulary words for each letter. What superhero lies within you?
Ellen
Julian, age 5, says: "I really like the Volcano man who vomits on villians. It's so funny. I also like the Yellow Yeller and the Zinger who zooms through zeroes. I like everything in the book. It's one of my total favorites."

Mom likes it, too.

Jenae
One of our local authors (and his wife is my Avon customer!) ... my boys have always loved this book. The illustrations are very vibrant and full of life. We have it in paperback and hardcover! Bob's a great guy too! :)
Rachel
The was a great approach to an alphabet book--I'm guessing it reaches a crowd that might not be interested in the other types. The alliterations are funny and my kids ages 5-10 loved it!
Adrianne
What's better than a book about a Superhero? A book with 26 Superheroes!

Cleverly drawn and written. Watch out for V.

Because of this book, my son makes sure that we never j-walk.
Liz  Dalton
My kids loved this book! Even the boys, who usually are not thrilled when it's time to read a book, we're enthralled! Highly recommended!
Robin
"Rr Rain-Man rains on random Robbers". This is an awesome book of SuperHeros to help you learn your ABC's.
Chenae
I'm a fan of this book.
Asher Skelton
I liked Huge Man
Vicki Kier
Adults looking for a fun alternative to traditional alphabet books will enjoy sharing this one by long-time Marvel and DC illustrator, Bob McLeod, whose comic-book-style artwork is sure to engage the imagination of preschoolers everywhere. Backdrop spectators are diverse, but superheroes are almost exclusively either attractively thin women or muscularly handsome men.

Alliterative descriptors of alpha-heroes are prominently displayed at the top of each page beside shadow-font upper and lower cas
Joshua Cummins
Superhero ABC is a fun and effective way to teach children their ABC's. For each letter there is a superhero whose name starts with that particular letter and their unusual skills all start with that letter as well. For example, "Goo Girl shoots Great Gobs of Goo at Gangsters" and "Night Man: Noises at Night Never make him Nervous". Pairing each letter with a superhero and special talents is a genius idea to get kids to learn their ABC's, as Bob McLeod does very well. What do kids love more than ...more
Maggie Stiefvater
My 4 year old daughter picked this one off the library shelf and I have to admit I was pretty dubious. I'm not a big superhero fan (although Batman rules, naturally), so I thought reading this to her would be pretty tedious.

Heck, no. This turned out to be a snickeringly funny ABC with ludicrous superheros such as "Multiplying Mike (becomes Many More Men in Minutes" and "The Volcano (Vomits on Villains)". Illustrated earnestly in perfect comic style, I have to say I was completely won over. And
Debbie
This is a faithful alphabet book, true to form with lots of alliteration and accompanying pictures. This is also a faithful comic book, with a cast of characters that conveniently fits the alphabet well, but also with the stereotypical fonts and frame awareness that comic books have.

What is atypical about this ABC book are the superheroes. Their names and powers are both funny and gross, so my 7yo son and my 11yo daughter enjoyed flipping through the pages. There are also quite a few female supe
Ria Gill
SuperHero ABC by Bob McLeod is a large, hardcover, superhero book that teaches letter recognition and beginning sounds. With vividly illustrated superheroes on each page, it will easy to keep a child or children's attention. This book would make a terrific read aloud for toddlers through first grade.
Rebecca Saxon
A fun alphabet book for superhero obsessed kids. There's decent diversity, but I feel it could have been even more gender balanced and had more racial diversity. Since the author's making up superheroes, why still have so many white guys? But still better than a lot of the white superhero books.
Paul Farbman
Apr 17, 2014 Paul Farbman rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Kindergarten - First Grade
Shelves: ch-04-alphabet
Superhero ABC is a magnificent way to teach kids about their abc's! A new hero is introduced for each letter sound with very unusual powers. The majority of the words on the page use alliteration of the letter being discussed. A similar technique is used for the vowels.

Both men and women are portrayed as heroes, making the book appeal to boys and girls.
How do you share this with your classes? 1 9 Jan 08, 2009 05:42PM
  • The Great Fuzz Frenzy
  • Timothy and the Strong Pajamas
  • The Racecar Alphabet
  • Dex: The Heart of a Hero
  • What are You So Grumpy About?
  • Dogku
  • Gone Wild: An Endangered Animal Alphabet
  • Arnie the Doughnut
  • LMNO Peas
  • Precious and the Boo Hag
I was born and raised in Tampa, Florida. For most of my career I was an artist for Marvel and DC Comics, pencilling several issues of Star Wars, Spider-Man and Superman, and inking The Incredible Hulk, Wonder Woman, Batman and many more. In 1982, I co-created The New Mutants, a group of younger X-Men, for Marvel Comics.
In 2006, I wrote and illustrated my first children's book, SuperHero ABC, a h
More about Bob McLeod...
How to Draw Ghost Rider How to Draw Spider Man WWMD What Would Mohammed Do? Reality Road: Journey in the Light Away With Words:Lyrics of Bob in the Cloud