Start by marking “Figure Drawing for All It's Worth (How to draw and paint)” as Want to Read:
Figure Drawing for All It's Worth (How to draw and paint)

Figure Drawing for All It's Worth (How to draw and paint)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  8,790 ratings  ·  55 reviews
Hardback book. 204 pages.
Published January 1st 1971 by Viking Adult (first published June 1943)

To ask other readers questions about Figure Drawing for All It's Worth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Figure Drawing for All It's Worth

Alien  Citizen
This is awesome. Okay, it's from the 50s, includes its share of -isms from the day and some of that overexburance of mine comes from the fact that this is available free of charge online (and what's better for a wanna-be struggling artist?). But the mathematician in me is also just bowled over by the attention to proportion ratios and visual guides for such (is it a freudian slip that I kept accidentally writing the letter k instead of h in the word such?). I am quite sure that there are many ot ...more
Ana
I love this book. It's old fashioned but that's okay, especially when it comes to a book on drawing. I can't think of anything that would stop being relevant fifty years from now... The figures may be a little idealized in proportions but you can learn just as much from it. Andrew Loomis writes to the reader like a friend. This book is perfect for reading with a cup of coffee and your sketchbook nearby.
Pannita
My manga illustration teacher introduced me to this book for basic human figure drawing and i’ve been using it ever since. Although this book is very old (first published in 1943), it is still a great reference book for figure drawing in my opinion. Check out my full reference books collection here: http://korpannita.wordpress.com/2013/...
Rajeev Singh
The definitive work on figure drawing, in my opinion. The book is old, but everything that relates to art itself (and that's 98% of the book) is as relevant as ever.

Loomis doesn't go into great technical on any one subject, but delves into the fundamentals across the board and speaks with a maturity and insight that's lacking in most how-to art books. What's more, he speaks directly to you in a very personal voice.

I read this years ago, and it was amazing how much it helped me focus on improvin
Murray
When I got my hands on the original 1940s edition I felt immensely lucky.

It even came with an authentically quaint handrwritten message inside.

Put simply, this is the single biggest influence I have had on my artistic efforts (freelance for a number of years). The language is dated but the sentiment is not - Loomis wants you to succeed and he wants you to be hardheaded in achieving it.

The effects of light and shade, the anatomy of the human body, and the intent of the artist...are all explained
Marci
Every artist or aspiring artist probably has an idea who Andrew Loomis is. He's been an institution when it comes to illustration. His works dated way back the 1940's but are still very relevant today.

This book features detailed instructions on how to illustrate lively human figures, covering everything from the basics of the human body to proportion, balance and so much more. A more detailed lecture on drawing heads and hands can be found on his other book Drawing the Head and Hands.

Original co
Si Barron
This guy is amazing- if you want to be able to draw the figure, either from life, or purely constructed from line and imagination- then this is the guy to read.

This is a sumptuous re-print of the original classic and well-worth buying- however all his books a brilliant and are readily available as downloads because they are out of copy-write

This book and 'Drawing on the Right side of the Brain' are the best books for any one contemplating figure drawing
Shaun Patterson
I am going to begin this review with a contrary statement that I have not been looking forward to reviewing this book. Not because I have any misgivings about its quality or content, quite the opposite actually. This book is so well regarded that I felt reviewing it must prove to be somewhat pointless. I think that if these words reach just one person who has had the misfortune of never hearing about Loomis and his works before, then it would all be worth it.

If you are a professional artist, as
James Burks
If you're an artist and you want a great book on life drawing, this is it. Thankfully it's back in print too. Highly recommended.
Christine
For an aspiring artist or the illustrator who may be out of practice, Loomis' book is very insightful and instructional on how to best draw the figure. This book covers everything from gestures to fully clothed examples (drapery).

He covers both male and female forms and even delves into discussing how best to draw child and infant subjects.

My only real gripe is that because this book was originally published in 1943, some of the text (if you choose to actually read it) is really out-of-date and
Richard Haddad
Okay, here it is, in short; are you a beginner? Do you want to learn figure drawing? Get this book!

No, seriously; Go get this book!

And make sure you read it word for word. Don't just skip through for the pictures and try to imitate. Read what he tells you to do and watch how he explains things. Understand what he's drawing for you and why it's there!

Figure Drawing for All It's Worth is very practical and, in summary, a real treasure for anyone trying to learn figure drawing.

What's great about th
Gina
This book is really focused on commercial art, giving examples of the types of assignments one might fill, and some guidelines about money and equipment. Some of that information is outdated, and some of it wouldn't apply if you are not planning on art as a profession. For that, the points he makes about idealization make perfect sense, but I didn't like them (not being particularly fond of advertising in general).

The book is still really helpful. It led me to think differently about anatomy, an
Kevin
I still remember this fondly, it's one of the core basic books on figure drawing. So many who come from the schools of Manga and Comics (OK, graphic arts... *SIGH*) do not get this fundamental training on proper body part ratio, and character posture drawing.

When this book was first published the polaroid camera was robbing young artists of their ability to see what's in front of them, or an understanding of how human bodies work.

If you are lucky enough to find this book, have your artistic chil
Lisa Ulibarri
Very well written book with many graphics to help any budding artist along the way to drawing well proportioned figures.
Johnflynch
I am willing to go out on a limb and say that this maybe the greatest set of figure drawing instructions ever written. they way Loomis breaks down the human body into simple shapes is ingenious (my view of the pelvic bone was forever changed)

regrettably this book is currently out of print and sought after so if you come across a copy for less than 40 bucks I recommend snatching it up (I paid 65).

The examples of finished figure studies at the end are all pin-up style nude which is amusing and, to
Saib Zada
I love this book. It's old fashioned but that's okay,
Lau
Long-awaited new edition is a faithful facsimile of the original that I have treasured for years. Now, instead of careful consultation and delicate handling of the book to [reserve it, I can tuck the original onto the shelf and truly take advantage of the excellent contents.

Loomis has a talent for teaching as well as drawing - much more accessible than Bridgeman - and his art shines. Because it is a facsimile it reflects the aesthetic of its era. Don't let that blind you to the wealth of Loomis
Omar
Jun 30, 2015 Omar added it
vcjk
ياتا عبني
Apr 22, 2015 ياتا عبني is currently reading it
ممتاز
Joy
_Way_ ahead of where I am right now, but an excellent reference, and one I have made note of to return to when I have more practice and skill.
Billy
This book was recommended to me by a very nice man who was a concept artist for Bethesda Studios, along with some encouraging advice. Sadly, we lost him to cancer. I did not know him well, but if this is only one of but two books, the artist who created for "Elder Scrolls" and "Fallout" recommended; it might be woth checking out.
Joshua
This is probably the best book on figure drawing. My watercolor teacher showed it to me and said it's what he learned from 'a hundred years ago' It does need some supplemental books like Perspective Made Easy (which is suggested in the figures in perspective section)...
Michelle
If you are interested in drawing you cannot go wrong with picking up this book. Loomis is incredible, one of the art gods. Everything you ever needed to know to draw a person is within these pages, all you need is a keen sense of observation and the willingness to practice.
Jamie
Loomis' best book. All you really need to know is in this one. I think the back of the book, which shows how to draw the head, hands and feet, actually has better instructions than "Drawing the Head and Hands," also by Loomis. If only he had a section on drawing teeth.
J.G. Keely
This book would teach you how to draw advertisements for the 1950s, but perhaps we have lost something of the diligence required. Photoshop has helped to even the playing field, but one cannot but wonder what a man of Loomis's drive and knowledge would be doing today.
Dan
This is hands down, the best book on drawing ever made. It takes the entire human body breaks it up into steps that correctly show how to draw every part. Such a wonderful book, that is invaluable to any artist out there. Highly Recommended.
Michelle
Loomis' books are always helpful, but I am not fond of the narrative much. He has good tips and advice for the beginner, but they are not written in stone (always remember this.) I still turn to this book while practicing my figure drawing.
Daniella
I am lucky enough to own a physical copy of this book that my Grandma gave to me after I found it in her basement. Copying from this book for practice will teach you more about drawing human anatomy than almost any other book on the subject.
Serge Pierro
This book by Andrew Loomis is brilliant and clearly worth studying. And while the text is dated, the instruction and illustrations are still highly relevant. Recommended for anyone interested in studying/drawing the human form.
  • Dynamic Figure Drawing
  • Figure Drawing: Design And Invention
  • Hawthorne on Painting
  • Drawing Realistic Textures in Pencil
  • Lessons in Classical Drawing: Essential Techniques from Inside the Atelier
  • The Animator's Survival Kit: A Manual of Methods, Principles, and Formulas for Classical, Computer, Games, Stop Motion and Internet Animators
Drawing the Head and Hands Fun with a Pencil Creative Illustration Successful Drawing The Eye of the Painter