Start by marking “Figure Drawing for All It's Worth (How to draw and paint)” as Want to Read:
Figure Drawing for All It's Worth (How to draw and paint)

Figure Drawing for All It's Worth (How to draw and paint)

3.99  ·  Rating Details ·  11,432 Ratings  ·  66 Reviews
Hardback book. 204 pages.
Published January 1st 1971 by Viking Adult (first published June 1943)

To ask other readers questions about Figure Drawing for All It's Worth, please sign up.

Ashley It's a figure drawing art reference book.

Alien  Citizen
Jun 18, 2008 Alien Citizen rated it it was amazing
This is awesome. Okay, it's from the 50s, includes its share of -isms from the day and some of that overexburance of mine comes from the fact that this is available free of charge online (and what's better for a wanna-be struggling artist?). But the mathematician in me is also just bowled over by the attention to proportion ratios and visual guides for such (is it a freudian slip that I kept accidentally writing the letter k instead of h in the word such?). I am quite sure that there are many ot ...more
Feb 19, 2012 Ana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. It's old fashioned but that's okay, especially when it comes to a book on drawing. I can't think of anything that would stop being relevant fifty years from now... The figures may be a little idealized in proportions but you can learn just as much from it. Andrew Loomis writes to the reader like a friend. This book is perfect for reading with a cup of coffee and your sketchbook nearby.
Sep 18, 2013 Pannita rated it liked it
My manga illustration teacher introduced me to this book for basic human figure drawing and i’ve been using it ever since. Although this book is very old (first published in 1943), it is still a great reference book for figure drawing in my opinion. Check out my full reference books collection here:
Oct 02, 2012 Canesgalactica rated it really liked it
For an aspiring artist or the illustrator who may be out of practice, Loomis' book is very insightful and instructional on how to best draw the figure. This book covers everything from gestures to fully clothed examples (drapery).

He covers both male and female forms and even delves into discussing how best to draw child and infant subjects.

My only real gripe is that because this book was originally published in 1943, some of the text (if you choose to actually read it) is really out-of-date and
Rajeev Singh
Aug 12, 2010 Rajeev Singh rated it it was amazing
The definitive work on figure drawing, in my opinion. The book is old, but everything that relates to art itself (and that's 98% of the book) is as relevant as ever.

Loomis doesn't go into great technical on any one subject, but delves into the fundamentals across the board and speaks with a maturity and insight that's lacking in most how-to art books. What's more, he speaks directly to you in a very personal voice.

I read this years ago, and it was amazing how much it helped me focus on improvin
Oct 07, 2014 Murray rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I got my hands on the original 1940s edition I felt immensely lucky.

It even came with an authentically quaint handrwritten message inside.

Put simply, this is the single biggest influence I have had on my artistic efforts (freelance for a number of years). The language is dated but the sentiment is not - Loomis wants you to succeed and he wants you to be hardheaded in achieving it.

The effects of light and shade, the anatomy of the human body, and the intent of the artist...are all explained
Aug 04, 2016 Kosowina rated it liked it
As an intermediate artist I found it overwhelming. I was hoping for more how-to's and less actual complete drawings. Also the ideal human figure got tiring after 50 pages. You definitely won't learn how fat works here. He spends a page talking about complicated subjects like the dreadful Box and a page on something trivial like advertisements.
I definitely loved the style and some of the things were explained pretty well, but there must be better books out there.
Si Barron
Nov 25, 2012 Si Barron rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art
This guy is amazing- if you want to be able to draw the figure, either from life, or purely constructed from line and imagination- then this is the guy to read.

This is a sumptuous re-print of the original classic and well-worth buying- however all his books a brilliant and are readily available as downloads because they are out of copy-write

This book and 'Drawing on the Right side of the Brain' are the best books for any one contemplating figure drawing
James Burks
Jun 03, 2012 James Burks rated it it was amazing
If you're an artist and you want a great book on life drawing, this is it. Thankfully it's back in print too. Highly recommended.
May 14, 2013 Kathleen rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this, even with the sexism of the time. Think I might pick up more of his books.
Shaun Patterson
Jan 22, 2014 Shaun Patterson rated it it was amazing
I am going to begin this review with a contrary statement that I have not been looking forward to reviewing this book. Not because I have any misgivings about its quality or content, quite the opposite actually. This book is so well regarded that I felt reviewing it must prove to be somewhat pointless. I think that if these words reach just one person who has had the misfortune of never hearing about Loomis and his works before, then it would all be worth it.

If you are a professional artist, as
Feb 07, 2014 Marci rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-books
Every artist or aspiring artist probably has an idea who Andrew Loomis is. He's been an institution when it comes to illustration. His works dated way back the 1940's but are still very relevant today.

This book features detailed instructions on how to illustrate lively human figures, covering everything from the basics of the human body to proportion, balance and so much more. A more detailed lecture on drawing heads and hands can be found on his other book Drawing the Head and Hands.

Original co
I plan to try to reread (again) this at some point. It's full of great merit here and there, but it stands and outlier in Loomis's collection of how to draw books that I felt really did more harm than good on instructing how I learned to draw. After failing the first time I tried twice more to see if there was something I was missing or not getting, though the harm done was due to my own stubbornness. In retrospect I feel I didn't learn squat from it, but I don't hate it (as much as I used to). ...more
Richard Haddad
Okay, here it is, in short; are you a beginner? Do you want to learn figure drawing? Get this book!

No, seriously; Go get this book!

And make sure you read it word for word. Don't just skip through for the pictures and try to imitate. Read what he tells you to do and watch how he explains things. Understand what he's drawing for you and why it's there!

Figure Drawing for All It's Worth is very practical and, in summary, a real treasure for anyone trying to learn figure drawing.

What's great about th
Nov 17, 2014 Gina rated it liked it
This book is really focused on commercial art, giving examples of the types of assignments one might fill, and some guidelines about money and equipment. Some of that information is outdated, and some of it wouldn't apply if you are not planning on art as a profession. For that, the points he makes about idealization make perfect sense, but I didn't like them (not being particularly fond of advertising in general).

The book is still really helpful. It led me to think differently about anatomy, an
Aug 22, 2015 Daidai120 marked it as to-read

北京康贝佳口腔医院患者信赖的口腔医院,北京康贝佳口腔医院一直专注于口腔疾病的研究,始终坚持以口腔的健康为目的,始终倡导绿色、安全、精细化的手术诊疗理念,注重国内外新技术、新成果的临床应用,以专业的临床技术差异化、精细化、专业化,先进的诊疗理念,先进的技术设 备,洁净的手术环境及完善的术后服务,确保口腔整形技术达到良好的效果,造福口腔患者的健康。

Jan 07, 2015 Kevin rated it liked it
I still remember this fondly, it's one of the core basic books on figure drawing. So many who come from the schools of Manga and Comics (OK, graphic arts... *SIGH*) do not get this fundamental training on proper body part ratio, and character posture drawing.

When this book was first published the polaroid camera was robbing young artists of their ability to see what's in front of them, or an understanding of how human bodies work.

If you are lucky enough to find this book, have your artistic chil
Jan 12, 2012 Lau rated it it was amazing
Long-awaited new edition is a faithful facsimile of the original that I have treasured for years. Now, instead of careful consultation and delicate handling of the book to [reserve it, I can tuck the original onto the shelf and truly take advantage of the excellent contents.

Loomis has a talent for teaching as well as drawing - much more accessible than Bridgeman - and his art shines. Because it is a facsimile it reflects the aesthetic of its era. Don't let that blind you to the wealth of Loomis
Aug 15, 2008 Johnflynch rated it it was amazing
I am willing to go out on a limb and say that this maybe the greatest set of figure drawing instructions ever written. they way Loomis breaks down the human body into simple shapes is ingenious (my view of the pelvic bone was forever changed)

regrettably this book is currently out of print and sought after so if you come across a copy for less than 40 bucks I recommend snatching it up (I paid 65).

The examples of finished figure studies at the end are all pin-up style nude which is amusing and, to
Apr 05, 2016 Yuè rated it really liked it
Shelves: school, reviewed
To be honest, I didn't read it. What's there to read? I just downloaded the PDF through goodreads and I'm keeping it on my laptop for future reference. Also putting it in my "school" shelf for that reason. I'm still giving it 4 stars because a) I want to rate books and b) I skimmed through it and it looks good.
Dec 04, 2012 Billy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommended to me by a very nice man who was a concept artist for Bethesda Studios, along with some encouraging advice. Sadly, we lost him to cancer. I did not know him well, but if this is only one of but two books, the artist who created for "Elder Scrolls" and "Fallout" recommended; it might be woth checking out.
J.G. Keely
Oct 26, 2007 J.G. Keely rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, art, reviewed
This book would teach you how to draw advertisements for the 1950s, but perhaps we have lost something of the diligence required. Photoshop has helped to even the playing field, but one cannot but wonder what a man of Loomis's drive and knowledge would be doing today.
Serge Pierro
Dec 03, 2012 Serge Pierro rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art
This book by Andrew Loomis is brilliant and clearly worth studying. And while the text is dated, the instruction and illustrations are still highly relevant. Recommended for anyone interested in studying/drawing the human form.
Jul 25, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: art-instruction
Loomis' books are always helpful, but I am not fond of the narrative much. He has good tips and advice for the beginner, but they are not written in stone (always remember this.) I still turn to this book while practicing my figure drawing.
Feb 05, 2015 Joshua rated it it was amazing
This is probably the best book on figure drawing. My watercolor teacher showed it to me and said it's what he learned from 'a hundred years ago' It does need some supplemental books like Perspective Made Easy (which is suggested in the figures in perspective section)...
Mar 25, 2014 Dan rated it it was amazing
This is hands down, the best book on drawing ever made. It takes the entire human body breaks it up into steps that correctly show how to draw every part. Such a wonderful book, that is invaluable to any artist out there. Highly Recommended.
Aug 12, 2013 Chris rated it it was amazing
Shelves: instructional
This is indisputably one of the best books of figure drawing instruction out there. It's old but it beats any contemporary book I've seen. And the best part is that it's available online for free at
Jan 29, 2013 Michelle rated it it was amazing
If you are interested in drawing you cannot go wrong with picking up this book. Loomis is incredible, one of the art gods. Everything you ever needed to know to draw a person is within these pages, all you need is a keen sense of observation and the willingness to practice.
Jan 16, 2013 Jamie rated it it was amazing
Loomis' best book. All you really need to know is in this one. I think the back of the book, which shows how to draw the head, hands and feet, actually has better instructions than "Drawing the Head and Hands," also by Loomis. If only he had a section on drawing teeth.
Oct 15, 2013 Daniella rated it it was amazing
I am lucky enough to own a physical copy of this book that my Grandma gave to me after I found it in her basement. Copying from this book for practice will teach you more about drawing human anatomy than almost any other book on the subject.
  • Dynamic Figure Drawing
  • Figure Drawing: Design And Invention
  • Framed Ink: Drawing and Composition for Visual Storytellers
  • Lessons in Classical Drawing: Essential Techniques from Inside the Atelier
  • Hawthorne on Painting
  • The Animator's Survival Kit: A Manual of Methods, Principles, and Formulas for Classical, Computer, Games, Stop Motion and Internet Animators
  • The Artist's Complete Guide to Figure Drawing: A Contemporary Master Reveals the Secrets of Drawing the Human Form
William Andrew Loomis was an American illustrator, author, and art instructor.
More about Andrew Loomis...