Start by marking “Figure Drawing for All It's Worth (How to draw and paint)” as Want to Read:
Figure Drawing for All It's Worth (How to draw and paint)

Figure Drawing for All It's Worth (How to draw and paint)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  7,043 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Hardback book. 204 pages.
Published January 1st 1971 by Viking Adult (first published June 1943)

To ask other readers questions about Figure Drawing for All It's Worth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Figure Drawing for All It's Worth

Alien  Citizen
This is awesome. Okay, it's from the 50s, includes its share of -isms from the day and some of that overexburance of mine comes from the fact that this is available free of charge online (and what's better for a wanna-be struggling artist?). But the mathematician in me is also just bowled over by the attention to proportion ratios and visual guides for such (is it a freudian slip that I kept accidentally writing the letter k instead of h in the word such?). I am quite sure that there are many ot ...more
Ana
I love this book. It's old fashioned but that's okay, especially when it comes to a book on drawing. I can't think of anything that would stop being relevant fifty years from now... The figures may be a little idealized in proportions but you can learn just as much from it. Andrew Loomis writes to the reader like a friend. This book is perfect for reading with a cup of coffee and your sketchbook nearby.
Pannita
My manga illustration teacher introduced me to this book for basic human figure drawing and i’ve been using it ever since. Although this book is very old (first published in 1943), it is still a great reference book for figure drawing in my opinion. Check out my full reference books collection here: http://korpannita.wordpress.com/2013/...
Rajeev Singh
The definitive work on figure drawing, in my opinion. The book is old, but everything that relates to art itself (and that's 98% of the book) is as relevant as ever.

Loomis doesn't go into great technical on any one subject, but delves into the fundamentals across the board and speaks with a maturity and insight that's lacking in most how-to art books. What's more, he speaks directly to you in a very personal voice.

I read this years ago, and it was amazing how much it helped me focus on improvin
Marci
Every artist or aspiring artist probably has an idea who Andrew Loomis is. He's been an institution when it comes to illustration. His works dated way back the 1940's but are still very relevant today.

This book features detailed instructions on how to illustrate lively human figures, covering everything from the basics of the human body to proportion, balance and so much more. A more detailed lecture on drawing heads and hands can be found on his other book Drawing the Head and Hands.

Original co
Si Barron
This guy is amazing- if you want to be able to draw the figure, either from life, or purely constructed from line and imagination- then this is the guy to read.

This is a sumptuous re-print of the original classic and well-worth buying- however all his books a brilliant and are readily available as downloads because they are out of copy-write

This book and 'Drawing on the Right side of the Brain' are the best books for any one contemplating figure drawing
Shaun Patterson
I am going to begin this review with a contrary statement that I have not been looking forward to reviewing this book. Not because I have any misgivings about its quality or content, quite the opposite actually. This book is so well regarded that I felt reviewing it must prove to be somewhat pointless. I think that if these words reach just one person who has had the misfortune of never hearing about Loomis and his works before, then it would all be worth it.

If you are a professional artist, as
James Burks
If you're an artist and you want a great book on life drawing, this is it. Thankfully it's back in print too. Highly recommended.
Murray
When I got my hands on the original 1940s edition I felt immensely lucky.

It even came with an authentically quaint handrwritten message inside.

Put simply, this is the single biggest influence I have had on my artistic efforts (freelance for a number of years). The language is dated but the sentiment is not - Loomis wants you to succeed and he wants you to be hardheaded in achieving it.

The effects of light and shade, the anatomy of the human body, and the intent of the artist...are all explained
Dis.amira
niiiiiiiiiiiiice
Christine
For an aspiring artist or the illustrator who may be out of practice, Loomis' book is very insightful and instructional on how to best draw the figure. This book covers everything from gestures to fully clothed examples (drapery).

He covers both male and female forms and even delves into discussing how best to draw child and infant subjects.

My only real gripe is that because this book was originally published in 1943, some of the text (if you choose to actually read it) is really out-of-date and
Richard Haddad
Okay, here it is, in short; are you a beginner? Do you want to learn figure drawing? Get this book!

No, seriously; Go get this book!

And make sure you read it word for word. Don't just skip through for the pictures and try to imitate. Read what he tells you to do and watch how he explains things. Understand what he's drawing for you and why it's there!

Figure Drawing for All It's Worth is very practical and, in summary, a real treasure for anyone trying to learn figure drawing.

What's great about th
Johnflynch
I am willing to go out on a limb and say that this maybe the greatest set of figure drawing instructions ever written. they way Loomis breaks down the human body into simple shapes is ingenious (my view of the pelvic bone was forever changed)

regrettably this book is currently out of print and sought after so if you come across a copy for less than 40 bucks I recommend snatching it up (I paid 65).

The examples of finished figure studies at the end are all pin-up style nude which is amusing and, to
Lau
Long-awaited new edition is a faithful facsimile of the original that I have treasured for years. Now, instead of careful consultation and delicate handling of the book to [reserve it, I can tuck the original onto the shelf and truly take advantage of the excellent contents.

Loomis has a talent for teaching as well as drawing - much more accessible than Bridgeman - and his art shines. Because it is a facsimile it reflects the aesthetic of its era. Don't let that blind you to the wealth of Loomis
Billy
This book was recommended to me by a very nice man who was a concept artist for Bethesda Studios, along with some encouraging advice. Sadly, we lost him to cancer. I did not know him well, but if this is only one of but two books, the artist who created for "Elder Scrolls" and "Fallout" recommended; it might be woth checking out.
Michelle
If you are interested in drawing you cannot go wrong with picking up this book. Loomis is incredible, one of the art gods. Everything you ever needed to know to draw a person is within these pages, all you need is a keen sense of observation and the willingness to practice.
Jamie
Loomis' best book. All you really need to know is in this one. I think the back of the book, which shows how to draw the head, hands and feet, actually has better instructions than "Drawing the Head and Hands," also by Loomis. If only he had a section on drawing teeth.
Keely
This book would teach you how to draw advertisements for the 1950s, but perhaps we have lost something of the diligence required. Photoshop has helped to even the playing field, but one cannot but wonder what a man of Loomis's drive and knowledge would be doing today.
Dan
This is hands down, the best book on drawing ever made. It takes the entire human body breaks it up into steps that correctly show how to draw every part. Such a wonderful book, that is invaluable to any artist out there. Highly Recommended.
Michelle
Loomis' books are always helpful, but I am not fond of the narrative much. He has good tips and advice for the beginner, but they are not written in stone (always remember this.) I still turn to this book while practicing my figure drawing.
Daniella
I am lucky enough to own a physical copy of this book that my Grandma gave to me after I found it in her basement. Copying from this book for practice will teach you more about drawing human anatomy than almost any other book on the subject.
Serge Pierro
This book by Andrew Loomis is brilliant and clearly worth studying. And while the text is dated, the instruction and illustrations are still highly relevant. Recommended for anyone interested in studying/drawing the human form.
Chris
This is indisputably one of the best books of figure drawing instruction out there. It's old but it beats any contemporary book I've seen. And the best part is that it's available online for free at saveloomis.org.
Kim
Incredible book. Makes me feel like I know nothing at all about wielding a pencil, but that I could be better with practice. The artwork is gorgeous and does pull you into the mindset that you can do this too.
Kristen Pauline
Andrew Loomis is still a great resource for artists more than 50 years after his books were first published. There is a lot of solid info on proportions and figurative perspective in here.
Xanthippe
Oct 02, 2007 Xanthippe rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who draws, paints, or sculpts
Shelves: art-instruction
My absolute favourite figure drawing book. Loomis leaves no stone unturned and seems quite likeable. Look for this book via Bittorrent; that's how I found this OOP gem.
Rocki S.
The lessons given in this book and Andrew Loomis' other drawing books are utterly fantastic and timeless. His talent is is amazing. Highly recommended.
Aby Ramos
Very good book. Helped me a lot and I'm a beginner, sorta. Definitely a book I will keep and look back for reference.
Kathleen
Really enjoyed this, even with the sexism of the time. Think I might pick up more of his books.
  • Dynamic Figure Drawing
  • Bridgman's Complete Guide to Drawing From Life: Over 1,000 Illustrations
  • Drawing the Head and Figure
  • Force: Dynamic Life Drawing for Animators
  • The Artist's Complete Guide to Facial Expression
  • The Animator's Survival Kit: A Manual of Methods, Principles, and Formulas for Classical, Computer, Games, Stop Motion and Internet Animators
  • The Art of Animal Drawing: Construction, Action Analysis, Caricature
  • Color and Light: A Guide for the Realist Painter
  • The Practice and Science of Drawing
  • Perspective! for Comic Book Artists: How to Achieve a Professional Look in your Artwork
  • Drawing Realistic Textures in Pencil
  • Alla Prima: Everything I Know about Painting
  • Anatomy for the Artist
  • Perspective Made Easy
  • Figure Drawing: Design And Invention
  • Lessons in Classical Drawing: Essential Techniques from Inside the Atelier
  • How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way
Drawing the Head and Hands Fun with a Pencil Creative Illustration Successful Drawing The Eye of the Painter