Start by marking “Close to You (KEY News #4)” as Want to Read:
Close to You (KEY News #4)

Close to You (KEY News #4)

Millions of people are watching-- one wants to kill her... What she found was her worst nightmare...

She thought she'd found safety.

Published August 19th 2002 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Close to You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Close to You

Michelle
Feb 22, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012-reads
Seeing as my mom lent me this book, I figured I'd take a break from the long ones and go for a quick read before giving it back :D

I definitely agree with the other reviews I've read, regarding this book. It was a fun quick read. The very short chapters (longest about 4 pages) was what enticed me to read it so quickly. I kept saying to myself, "just one more chapter" and continued on. At first, it was alittle confusing with the sudden introduction of the different characters and their own story
Jerry
Jul 02, 2010 Jerry rated it liked it
Good story spoiled by way too many characters & subplots ...

We've felt the same way after all four of M.J. Clark's four novels of mystery and suspense set in the interesting venue of "Key News", no doubt a knock-off of CBS News where our author toils in real life. Her stories are invariably entertaining and suspenseful, even though her female leading characters verge on Wonder Women. And one eventually gets used to her one- and two-page (or less!) chapter lengths. But we really don't need t
Misti Pittman
Feb 16, 2017 Misti Pittman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
HUGE new fan!!! Didn't know this was #4 in a series. Now I want to start from #1. So so good!!! Couldn't put it down!!! I've got to say though, I did figure out the murderer when they were first introduced. I wasn't 100% sure, but now I know I was!! Still, so good, and so engaging. Makes me look at news anchors differently now!
Catherine
Jan 31, 2017 Catherine rated it it was amazing
This was a good book.

She thought she'd found safety.

In front of the camera, as anchorwoman for KEY Evening Headlines, she savvy, sexy, and sophisticated. But when she steps out of the spotlight, Eliza Blake is far more vulnerable than her devoted viewers would ever imagine. Single-handedly raising a young daughter, she's finally found a safe haven: a dream house in the suburbs, where nothing can e
Wendy
Jul 23, 2011 Wendy rated it it was ok
Eliza Blake is a beautiful news anchorwoman who enters your home, and the homes of thousands just like you, every day. For some, this isn't enough. Eliza has multiple "stalkers" sending her sick messages in the mail and on her phone. She and her five year old daughter are being threatened and it must end, before someone ELSE dies.

This had the makings of a really great story. In my opinion, it just didn't say all it should have. The main character, Eliza, should have done everything in her power
Claire
Nov 11, 2011 Claire rated it really liked it
Just finished this book that I had sitting in a pile of books that my mom gave me. It was very good! I LOVED how short the chapters were, liked most of the characters, and although it was slightly predictable halfway through, it was still hard to put down, waiting to see how it would all end. The story is about a newscaster who is being stalked by several creeps. The newscaster is a very likable character. Would recommend as a good, quick read.
Lillian
Sep 30, 2010 Lillian rated it really liked it
The author is a producer and writer for NBC news in NY, her dad was a special agent for FBI who did everything from undercover espionage to working kidnappings. The stories she writes can be stand alone but are probably better if read in order, they are set around a fictional news station, entertaining fast reads...
Mary Reed
Oct 11, 2016 Mary Reed rated it it was amazing
Great story. Kept me reading, I did not want to put the book down. Another one of Mary Jane Clark's book that kept me trying to figure out who the killer was. Did not expect the person until almost the end of the book.
Donna Sandidge
Dec 26, 2011 Donna Sandidge rated it liked it
Quick,predictable but still enjoyable mystery. The short chapters are a huge bonus! I read the entire book mistakenly thinking the prologue was about the main character and the biggest mystery for me was why/when Eliza would be selling her new house and moving into a condo.
Sheila
Oct 28, 2012 Sheila rated it it was amazing
Being in the public view night after night is not all what it is cracked up to be. Nightly news anchor Eliza Blake is being stalked. But by whom. There are several admirers that could be threatening her.
Maggie
May 07, 2013 Maggie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone, Teens, Adults, Young Adults
Mary Jane Clark has done it again. She never fails to write a thriller that you can't put down. I read this book in less than 3 days and never got bored or found it difficult. It's not your typical mystery. Give it a chance.. it's not as predictable as you may think.
Amy
Apr 04, 2009 Amy rated it liked it
Shelves: bookcrossing
Not bad- a relatively quick book to read- reminded me a little of Mary Higgins Clark (no relation) in the jumping back and forth of perspectives and the intertwining of story threads. I guessed wrong who was the bad guy, though, but was right in that it wasn't initially the obvious nutcases.
Nicolas
Jul 18, 2016 Nicolas rated it liked it
I'd say it was a little overstuffed with names supporting characters and the mystery took a little too long to unspool. Still, it kept me guessing and for the most part, entertained. I'd read another.
Sandy
Jul 20, 2013 Sandy rated it really liked it
Enjoyed the twist at the end of the book. It was also interesting that Mary Jane Clark referenced Fragile X Syndrome several times in this book. Good publicity for the National Fragile X Foundation too! Great work, Mary Jane Clark!
Nancy Zimmer
Apr 15, 2012 Nancy Zimmer rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
it was very suspenseful.
Debra
Mar 26, 2013 Debra rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction-suspense
It seems like everyone's out to get TV newscaster Eliza Blake. When she moves her household to the suburbs, the problems follow her there. Makes me glad I'm not on TV!
Taneisha
Nov 10, 2015 Taneisha rated it really liked it
really enjoyable who-done-it novel..seriously knew there was something wrong with this Morton dude.. just goes to show there are a lot of crazies out here and you can't trust anyone
Karen Desmond
Nov 02, 2011 Karen Desmond rated it really liked it
Mareah Vega
Dec 13, 2016 Mareah Vega rated it really liked it
Another exciting suspense. Can't stop reading these books. I find ever chance I get to read a little at a time. Off to the next one!
TheRLPL Rice Lake Public Library
Patron Review:
Eliza has a 5 year daughter. SHe was a news anchor that was being stalked by a man who loved her. Sam had already had killed a beautiful girl who was another anchor before her.
Bernadette
Aug 19, 2009 Bernadette rated it really liked it
Eliza Blake is a strong and likable character. This the first MJ Clark mystery that I read feauturing her and her daughter, Janie.
These characters are featured in her new novel Dying for Mercy.
Shirley
Apr 29, 2012 Shirley rated it really liked it
good book
Cherry
May 29, 2014 Cherry rated it really liked it
A well-knit #whodunit by Mary Jane Clark that certainly would give readers a chill from start till end.
Julie
Dec 08, 2013 Julie rated it really liked it
Good fast exciting, can't put it down reading. I liked the main character and most of the people around her. Intelligent and fast paced.
Anna
Apr 25, 2010 Anna rated it it was amazing
What a good book. The first one I read by her and will for sure be looking for others on the next visit to the library.
Lise
May 18, 2015 Lise rated it really liked it
Really good! Kept me guessing - though I did have a strong suspicion on whodunit, and I was right. Written in an interesting way - lots of suspects throughout, but no real crime.
Melissa
Oct 24, 2016 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Another good fast read.
Sheila
Jan 01, 2013 Sheila rated it really liked it
i wasnt expecting the person who was guilty to be the one or to do what he did. good twist of events
Amanda Nersasian
Sep 14, 2014 Amanda Nersasian rated it it was ok
Very predictable ending and I'm usually not very good at figuring out the "bad guy/girl."
Anne Marie
Jul 04, 2013 Anne Marie rated it really liked it
This was a great read! I liked the suspense, even though a few things were predictable, like Samuel not having a daughter. Does Eliza get back with Matt?
  • The Deadly Neighbors (A Zoe Hayes Mystery #3)
  • Fleeced (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #5)
  • The Unforgiven
  • Drawn in Blood (Burbank & Parker, #2)
  • The Little Women
  • The Wholeness of a Broken Heart
  • The Christmas Thief
  • Fit to Die (A Supper Club Mystery, #2)
  • Love Is Murder (Lucy Kincaid, #0.5)
Mary Jane Clark is the author of thirteen novels, including 12 in the KEY News media thriller series, and one in her new Wedding Cake mystery series. A veteran writer and producer for CBS News, Clark worked for almost three decades at the network’s New York City headquarters. Her books are published in twenty-three languages. She lives in New Jersey and Florida.

Clark's former mother-in-law and sis
More about Mary Jane Clark...

KEY News (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Do You Want To Know A Secret? (KEY News #1)
  • Do You Promise Not To Tell? (KEY News #2)
  • Let Me Whisper In Your Ear (KEY News #3)
  • Nobody Knows (KEY News #5)
  • Nowhere to Run (KEY News #6)
  • Hide Yourself Away (KEY News, #7)
  • Dancing in the Dark (KEY News #8)
  • Lights Out Tonight (KEY News, #9)
  • When Day Breaks (KEY News, #10; Sunrise Suspense Society #1)
  • It Only Takes a Moment (KEY News, #11; Sunrise Suspense Society #2)