Start by marking “Close to You (KEY News #4)” as Want to Read:
Close to You (KEY News #4)

Close to You (KEY News #4)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  579 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Millions of people are watching-- one wants to kill her... What she found was her worst nightmare...

She thought she'd found safety.

In front of the camera, as anchorwoman for KEY Evening Headlines, she savvy, sexy, and sophisticated. But when she steps out of the spotlight, Eliza Blake is far more vulnerable than her devoted viewers would ever imagine. Single-handedly raisi
Published August 19th 2002 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Close to You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Close to You

Michelle
Seeing as my mom lent me this book, I figured I'd take a break from the long ones and go for a quick read before giving it back :D

I definitely agree with the other reviews I've read, regarding this book. It was a fun quick read. The very short chapters (longest about 4 pages) was what enticed me to read it so quickly. I kept saying to myself, "just one more chapter" and continued on. At first, it was alittle confusing with the sudden introduction of the different characters and their own story
Jerry
Good story spoiled by way too many characters & subplots ...

We've felt the same way after all four of M.J. Clark's four novels of mystery and suspense set in the interesting venue of "Key News", no doubt a knock-off of CBS News where our author toils in real life. Her stories are invariably entertaining and suspenseful, even though her female leading characters verge on Wonder Women. And one eventually gets used to her one- and two-page (or less!) chapter lengths. But we really don't need t
Wendy
Eliza Blake is a beautiful news anchorwoman who enters your home, and the homes of thousands just like you, every day. For some, this isn't enough. Eliza has multiple "stalkers" sending her sick messages in the mail and on her phone. She and her five year old daughter are being threatened and it must end, before someone ELSE dies.

This had the makings of a really great story. In my opinion, it just didn't say all it should have. The main character, Eliza, should have done everything in her power
Lise
Really good! Kept me guessing - though I did have a strong suspicion on whodunit, and I was right. Written in an interesting way - lots of suspects throughout, but no real crime.
Cherry
A well-knit #whodunit by Mary Jane Clark that certainly would give readers a chill from start till end.
Phyllis Wright
OH WOW! Must read more Eliza Blake stories! I'm hooked!
Amanda Nersasian sheets
Very predictable ending and I'm usually not very good at figuring out the "bad guy/girl."
Claire
Just finished this book that I had sitting in a pile of books that my mom gave me. It was very good! I LOVED how short the chapters were, liked most of the characters, and although it was slightly predictable halfway through, it was still hard to put down, waiting to see how it would all end. The story is about a newscaster who is being stalked by several creeps. The newscaster is a very likable character. Would recommend as a good, quick read.
TheRLPL Rice Lake Public Library
Patron Review:
Eliza has a 5 year daughter. SHe was a news anchor that was being stalked by a man who loved her. Sam had already had killed a beautiful girl who was another anchor before her.
Lillian
The author is a producer and writer for NBC news in NY, her dad was a special agent for FBI who did everything from undercover espionage to working kidnappings. The stories she writes can be stand alone but are probably better if read in order, they are set around a fictional news station, entertaining fast reads...
bookczuk
Not bad- a relatively quick book to read- reminded me a little of Mary Higgins Clark (no relation) in the jumping back and forth of perspectives and the intertwining of story threads. I guessed wrong who was the bad guy, though, but was right in that it wasn't initially the obvious nutcases.
Donna Sandidge
Quick,predictable but still enjoyable mystery. The short chapters are a huge bonus! I read the entire book mistakenly thinking the prologue was about the main character and the biggest mystery for me was why/when Eliza would be selling her new house and moving into a condo.
Maggie
May 07, 2013 Maggie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone, Teens, Adults, Young Adults
Mary Jane Clark has done it again. She never fails to write a thriller that you can't put down. I read this book in less than 3 days and never got bored or found it difficult. It's not your typical mystery. Give it a chance.. it's not as predictable as you may think.
Sandy
Enjoyed the twist at the end of the book. It was also interesting that Mary Jane Clark referenced Fragile X Syndrome several times in this book. Good publicity for the National Fragile X Foundation too! Great work, Mary Jane Clark!
Sheila
Being in the public view night after night is not all what it is cracked up to be. Nightly news anchor Eliza Blake is being stalked. But by whom. There are several admirers that could be threatening her.
Bernadette
Eliza Blake is a strong and likable character. This the first MJ Clark mystery that I read feauturing her and her daughter, Janie.
These characters are featured in her new novel Dying for Mercy.
Debra
It seems like everyone's out to get TV newscaster Eliza Blake. When she moves her household to the suburbs, the problems follow her there. Makes me glad I'm not on TV!
Anne Marie
This was a great read! I liked the suspense, even though a few things were predictable, like Samuel not having a daughter. Does Eliza get back with Matt?
Julie
Good fast exciting, can't put it down reading. I liked the main character and most of the people around her. Intelligent and fast paced.
writergirl75
liked: multiple viewpoints, fast-paced, mystery story

disliked: characters, especially main character, are somewhat flat
Anna
What a good book. The first one I read by her and will for sure be looking for others on the next visit to the library.
Sheila
i wasnt expecting the person who was guilty to be the one or to do what he did. good twist of events
Judymc01
Too many characters, too many plots at the same time. Did not like but did finish the book.
Judith Guyot
To many plot lines. Predictable ending.
Nancy Zimmer
it was very suspenseful.
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Christine Pimentel
Christine Pimentel marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2015
  • The River Killings (A Zoe Hayes Mystery #2)
  • Fleeced (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #5)
  • The Unforgiven
  • Drawn in Blood (Burbank & Parker, #2)
  • The Wholeness of a Broken Heart: A Novel
  • Stiffs and Swine (A Supper Club Mystery, #4)
  • Santa Cruise: A Holiday Mystery at Sea
  • The Little Women
  • Bless Her Dead Little Heart (Southern Sisters, #1)
  • Snow Angel: 8
Mary Jane Clark is the author of thirteen novels, including 12 in the KEY News media thriller series, and one in her new Wedding Cake mystery series. A veteran writer and producer for CBS News, Clark worked for almost three decades at the network’s New York City headquarters. Her books are published in twenty-three languages. She lives in New Jersey and Florida.

Clark's former mother-in-law and sis
More about Mary Jane Clark...

KEY News (10 books)
  • Do You Want To Know A Secret? (KEY News #1)
  • Do You Promise Not To Tell? (KEY News #2)
  • Let Me Whisper In Your Ear (KEY News #3)
  • Nobody Knows (KEY News #5)
  • Nowhere to Run (KEY News #6)
  • Hide Yourself Away (KEY News #7)
  • Dancing in the Dark (KEY News #8)
  • Lights Out Tonight (KEY News, #9)
  • Dying for Mercy (KEY News #10)
To Have and to Kill (Wedding Cake Mystery, #1) Do You Want To Know A Secret? (KEY News #1) Nobody Knows (KEY News #5) When Day Breaks (Sunrise Suspense Society #1) It Only Takes a Moment (Sunrise Suspense Society #2)