Marrying for Money

Marrying for Money

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  266 ratings  ·  21 reviews
When the glamorous Grosvenor sisters arrive in the exclusive Hamptons beach town of Little Elbow, they can't help but cause a stir. Gorgeous Grace and Charming Charity are soon hot favourites on everybody's guest-list. Except that of their neighbour, Marcella Hunter. Heiress Marcella doesn't want the competition and when Grace starts dating Marcella's 'Plan B' man - dull b...more
Published 2007 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Marrying for Money, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marrying for Money

Abi Bayley
Sometimes it really pays not to judge a book by its cover and/or title. I was looking for an easy-read, holiday novel. This book, having read all of it to make sure, it not worth reading! The writing style is poor, the characters are shallow, unlikeable and unidentifiable and the plot leaves a hell of a lot to be desired.

Starting with the two sisters, Charity and Grace. Grace initially seemed like a spare part to me - what was her point of even being in the novel? Despite coming to America on a...more
Amanda Patterson
Marcella Walker is the awful anti-heroine of this engaging novel about the super rich in the town of Little Elbow. Her 27-year old self-obsessed nose is put seriously out of joint by the arrival of the Grosvenor sisters, Charity and Grace.

The beautiful, Grace, and her gracious sister, Charity, are soon the talk of the town. Everyone is taken in by the English girls. When Marcella’s dull, super-wealthy ex-boyfriend, Choate Fitzgerald, courts Grace; it is too much for the timber heiress to bear. C...more
Lauren Sweenor
I read this book in one lazy Sunday. It was enough to keep me going - more so to finish it than much else. It was one of those books where I knew every twist before it happened. I literally called everything. And I really had a hard time liking any of the characters except 'B'ryan and Peggy.
Rebecca Haslam
This book, as much as I didn't particularly enjoy it, got me thinking. With its subject matter heavily influenced by the way people perceive each other, and judge one another on their wealth, fame or the people they know, I couldn't help think of today's society. People are judged on their looks more than anything else by a good 90% of the population - we have become a society that has little regard for hard earned success or intelligence. What I did like about this book is that, despite obstacl...more
Kirsty Leydon
this author is good at writing books....they always make me smile and relish the next book
Jenn
I've always enjoyed Chris Manby's chick lit books. This one is about the richest, snobbiest person in Little Elbow New York who is obsessively jealous of her two new neighbours - a pair of British sisters who have rented the "cottage" next door. There are all sorts of twists and turns around the relationships in the small town and as always everything works out in the end for the good folks and the evil ones.
Pamela Todd
While I generally like Chris Manby, Marrying for Money scored low on my goodbook-o-meter. it felt a little too 'big' and definitely over staged. However, this was definitely the intent and does fit the scene which this book takes place, but it just wasn't for me.

Luckily, the book had more redeeming features like a little mystery, a hunky gardener and an enjoying moment with dog shit.
Amy
I have a lot of Manby's books on my literal bookshelf at home, meaning I like her books enough to keep them for re-reading. This one was a major disappointment. A departure in style, tone, and content from earlier books and a misstep. Many of the characters were unlikable and the plot uncomfortably stretched disbelief more than once.
Razvan Banciu
A modern mixture of Cinderella and Molliere's qui pro quo. characters are quite linear, some of them in dark colurs, Marcella, Robin, Stephany, some (including Grace) not very smart. the final (most of it seen after no more than fifty pages...) makes everyone happy. not a bad book, especially for the feminine part of readers...
Chiny
Cute book! I super loved it! It's a story about two girls - Charity and Grace Grosvenor who won a huge amount of money that allowed them to spend their summer at the Hamptons. Here they learn many lessons but the greatest of them all is that if you're going to marry for money, you have to work for every penny...
Miranda
I felt it dragged on for too long. It didn't have much of a point. I mean it reminded me to much of celebrities like Paris Hilton or something. It was funny in some parts and made me realize how girs can be really bitchy and rude. I liked the ending. It was one BIG happy ending, thats for sure.
Louise H
It took me about three days to get a quarter of the way through this book, then I finished the rest in a day because I wanted to be done with it. Nothing exciting really happened but it was a nice easy read, and it filled the time.
Jim
I don't know why I picked this up, I don't usually read contemporary romantic fiction. I feel a little guilty admitting to quite enjoying this tale of social climbers looking for love in the Hamptons.
KTT
This is a bk that protraits that a girl don't just love a guy for his money, but for his heart (that includes not knowing that he has the money that she wants ^^)
The Twins
Love the character of Marcella - what an evil and petty woman! Hilarious!! A very quick read that leave syou with a smile on your face!!
Ellen
I really enjoyed this book.
A weird but exciting storyline.
Loved the ending and the twists and turns!
Would read it again.
Angela
this book has a lot of twists and turns...it was a page-turner....
Ioana
A light, funny, superficial summer read..
Mari-Tricia
Manby delivers yet again!
Renee Turner
Funny and a good story.
Jill
Oct 13, 2010 Jill added it
light & fluffy.
Tia Mitchell
Tia Mitchell marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Louise Kerr
Louise Kerr is currently reading it
Sep 14, 2014
Mandi Smith
Mandi Smith marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Rachael Dickson
Rachael Dickson marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
  • The Love Academy
  • Connections
  • West End Girls
  • His Other Lover
  • Late Night Shopping (Annie Valentine, #2)
  • Azur Like It
  • Wish Upon A Star
  • Wife in the Fast Lane
  • It's a Kind of Magic
  • Brand New Friend
  • Roommates Wanted
  • Olivia's Luck
  • Love Lives
  • The Wag's Diary (WAGs Diary, #1)
  • The Glamorous (Double) Life of Isabel Bookbinder: A Novel
This author has also released books under the name Chrissie Manby.

Encouraged my by English teacher, Mrs. Pocock, I published my first short story in Just Seventeen when I was fourteen years old. The story was called ‘Whatever happened to the wonderful boy I fell in love with’ and I published it under the pseudonym ‘Carolyn Lane’ because it largely consisted of a transcript of an argument I’d had w...more
More about Chris Manby...
Getting Personal The Matchbreaker Lizzie Jordan's Secret Life Seven Sunny Days Ready or Not?