A Storm of Swords: Blood and Gold (A Song of Ice and Fire #3, Part 2 of 2)

A Storm of Swords: Blood and Gold (A Song of Ice and Fire #3 part 2/2)

4.56 of 5 stars 4.56  ·  rating details  ·  38,346 ratings  ·  1,215 reviews
Split into two books for the paperback, the third volume in George R.R. Martin's superb and highly acclaimed epic fantasy A Song of Ice and Fire continues the richest, most exotic and mesmerising saga since The Lord of the Rings. The Seven Kingdoms are divided by revolt and blood feud, and winter approaches like an angry beast. Beyond the Northern borders, wildlings leave...more
Published September 1st 2011 by HarperVoyager (first published 2000)

Shovelmonkey1
Oct 05, 2011 Shovelmonkey1 rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who've read the rest of the series
Recommended to Shovelmonkey1 by: books 1-3 demanded that the fourth was read
Do you remember that bit in the Scream movie where Stu Macher (played by Matthew Lillard), turns to all the other film geeks and sets out the now famed set of rules for surviving a horror film and making it into the sequel? (FYI those rules were: Never have sex. Do not drink and never say “i’ll be right back”)

Well someone should be writing a similar set of rules for the characters in the Song of Fire and Ice Series because, oh boy are these guys in trouble. Despite the numerous sellswords, hedge...more
Reynje
O.O

Okay. You know what time it is (besides 9.00 p.m. on a Tuesday night) - ASoIaF gif reaction time!

So, after an extended break after reading A Clash of Kings, it was time to jump into A Storm of Swords.

jon snow ready photo GoT-GIF-3_zps69096c02.gif

And everything was good.

fun photo POR9_zps7f7e2410.gif

.. Even the Davos chapters.

cersei eye roll photo tumblr_mlbha41Ha21rcfbxso2_400_zps3fd18cb1.gif

margaery photo tumblr_ml0o3raQvV1s4sldco1_500_zps8dab72a8.gif

Until..

theon punch photo vYl87_zps79e94244.gif

sansa stop photo tumblr_mfgeajNd0h1r0yq4zo3_250_zps982759bc.gif

NO photo r8AGo_zps45415fa7.gif

samwell photo tumblr_inline_miatb8v6Z01rez6q0_zps8dbc1a52.gif

And though slightly spoiled for part of the story, I was entirely unprepared for the feels.

robb photo tumblr_inline_mlbe8kMlvi1qz4rgp_zps9b18bc66.gif

jon snow sad photo tumblr_mkhpyrogcC1s0whizo3_r1_500_zpse63a18e9.gif

At first I was all, "This book is DEAD TO ME."

dany photo tumblr_mlc3exuLBd1snhcsgo1_500_zpse2668c31.gif

Then my grief became anger.

cersei punch photo ONsGS_zpsf23093a7.gif

Then resignation..

photo tumblr_ml0gu0YD1K1qkcz7wo2_r6_250_zpscd30554f.gif

catelyn tears photo tumblr_mlbdakFIqN1qh502no1_500_zpse51b6cc6.gif

And finally determination.

theon photo tumblr_inline_mk4qogJFyp1qz4rgp_zps1e0fafdc.gif

Until.. that en...more
James
This is the ending that book three should have had. The first half, A Storm of Swords: Steel and Snow, just wasn't strong enough to stand on its own. But that's okay as the second half more than makes up for it. From the off, there are bodies. Not just secondary characters either, but people we thought were going to be key players in The Game.

A number of characters get built out a lot more as well. Jamie continues his transition to three-dimensions with the start of a conscience. Stannis starts...more
Jade
Jul 27, 2010 Jade rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
My favourite book of the series so far! I will not ruin it for anybody, but this book turned me into an emotional reck in the best and worse possible ways. It gave me moments were I found myself jumping round like a child who actually did get a pony for christmas, moments when I bawled like a baby and finally, moments when I was yelling my head off, threatening to never read another page and swearing like a banshee. This series needs to form part of everyone's life - it is so unpredictable and e...more
Kirstine
AT LAST I SEE THE LIGHT!

Allow me to finally applaud you, George R.R. Martin without apprehension or dissatisfaction, without a hint of weariness or disappointment. Allow me to finally pass beyond the "I want to love it, but I don't" into "I was swept away by fire and ice and I ascend now as a different woman".

My favourite things about this book:
1) Jon Snow's every move (the light of my heart)
2) Jaime's journey to discover morals, honor and true love

Now, I can't tell you what it was about this i...more
Lisa
Alexandra
Oh my bloody hell and fuck...

Dear George,

I have read A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, and A Storm of Swords one after another and in any spare moment over the last couple of months. As a result, I think that this reality is starting to take over. My emotional involvement in the lives of your characters is reaching an unhealthy depth, and your brutality with them is breaking my motherfucking heart. I just finished ASOS a moment ago, and said motherfucking heart is beating some serious drum an...more
Eileen
Chapeau Mr. Martin, you wrote another brilliant book and I love it as no other book in this series so far. It's almost impossible to give a non-spoilerish review and everything I've said about this series before also counts for this book: great writing, twists and turns, unpredictable, an enormous amount of characters and confusing background stories and it is very very captivating.

What can I say?! You know while reading that something is going to happen, but most of the time you have no idea ho...more
Alex
I don't have the first idea how to start reviewing this book. Well, I do, but I'm quite physically and mentally exhuasted from the reading of this book to feel inclined to dissect the matter contained within. So instead, I'm going to write an emotive review.

"THIS BOOK IS FRICKIN AWESOME"

It's really a continuation of the ideas and themes from the first two novels. If there's a difference, though, it's that Martin clearly felt he'd done a lot of grandiose stuff with the Battle at King's Landing an...more
Carmo Santos
Dos seis volumes lidos até agora, este poderá ter sido o melhor e também o pior. Foi um rebuliço de emoções do princípio ao fim. GRRM manteve a tradição de aliar uma escrita sublime a um enredo arrebatador. Chateou-me com tantas mortes, tanta crueldade (algumas até que me divertiram e foram pura justiça poética) sobretudo porque a continuação da história vai ter que sofrer uma viragem com a falta de tantas personagens. Surgirão outras é certo, mas duvido que me conquistem da mesma forma, acho qu...more
Ana
O sexto livro das Crónicas do Gelo e Fogo é uma verdadeira caixa de surpresas, algumas boas, outras nem por isso... O nome do livro, “A Glória dos Traidores” faz jus à obra, traição é o que mais existe ao longo da história narrada.
A nossa história prossegue mas ao contrário dos outros livros, existem imensos acontecimentos marcantes ao longo do mesmo. Desvendam-se alguns segredos, algumas personalidades e algumas traições. São várias as personagens que tem um grande avanço na sua história.
Arya...more
Karolina
Wow, just wow! Without any doubt the best part of the saga so far! It starts out as slow and dragging as the previous two parts… and then it becomes a real jaw-dropper!

So, where to begin?? There are simply too many terrific characters, storylines and moments in this book!!!

(view spoiler)...more
Maria
I highly recommend A Storm of Swords.

I am a Stark of Winterfell. Oh yes, I am.

I should've learned my lesson from A Game of Thrones, that anything and everything will never be what it seems.

A Storm of Swords left me open-mouthed (literally), especially when the Red Wedding took place. There I was, reading leisurely on a Sunday afternoon, when I got the shock of my ASoIaF reading life. So cruel! And yet so grudgingly cunning.

New POVs are introduced: Jaime Lannister and Samwell Tarly. I actually e...more
Sofia Teixeira
Até ler George R.R. Martin, ainda não conhecia a sensação de estar continuamente em sobressalto durante um livro inteiro. Sim, há livros que nos surpreendem em vários pontos da narrativa, outros que nos deixam completamente estupefactos, mas agora elevem isso a um expoente máximo e a um tempo constante. Digo-vos que, em grande parte da leitura, quase que pegava em cada página que queria virar com muito cuidado, espreitando para as primeiras linhas, aguardando certificar-me de que era seguro virá...more
Jadranka
Martin i u Oluji mačeva na vrhunski način nastavlja svoju sagu o borbi za Gvozdeni presto.
Na moju radost Džejmi Lanister konačno dobija svoje poglavlje, jako mi se dopada u kom pravcu Martin vodi njegovu priču i moram reći da mi je on omiljeni Lanister, antiheroj koga u početku niko ne voli, a onda malo po malo nekako ti se prišunja i postane ti drag...pa, dobro meni bar. On je zapravo kad pogledamo celu priču jedini tu koji sve što radi radi zbog ljubavi, dobro nije to baš najzdraviji odnos koj...more
Madalena
Uma palavra: espectacular!
Este livro, para mim o melhor de todos os desta saga que já li até agora, surpreendeu em cada "capítulo". O livro encontra-se cheio de voltas e revoravoltas e surpreende sempre. George Martin consegue surpreender em cada nova página e mesmo no final do livro a surpresa mantém-se...
Gostei bastante da "Tormenta de espadas", o livro anterior, já o tinha achado cheio de ação mas este ultrapassou o anterior.
E é engraçado, dei por mim a gostar de personagens que antes detesta...more
Ali
This is my favourite so far I think although it is incredibly shocking in places! Prepare to have your mind blown at the twists and turns... Incredible!

My one criticism is that at times some characters get a little forgotten to the point that I had to flick back through to remember where i'd last left them...
Büşra Bal
Ben hayatımda bu herif kadar zeki bir yazar daha tanımadım. Parmağında çeviriyor bizi de,kitaptaki 300 karakteri de. O nasıl bir sondur sayın Martin,amacın ne ?? O değil de, tüm ölen karakterler için dua edelim.Sübhaneke dinimiz aminnnnn.
Thad
I reserve some judgment for this 5th book based upon the outcome of the next one. i was under the impression that this would be the last in the series, and was incredibly frustrated when I found that most if not all of the stories were left unfinished. Again with the sex stuff, Mr. Martin really needs to figure out why he feels the strong urge to include this stuff in there when it really doesn't help to explain a character's motivations, attitudes, behaviors. It's like an old 80s movie with the...more
Nick
When I picked up A Storm of Swords, I had several people tell me that it was the best of the series. They were not wrong. Granted, there are two volumes left for me to read (and a further two that Martin has yet to release), but I found the third installment of A Song of Ice and Fire to be the most enjoyable thus far. I was consumed by this book. There were plenty of other things I could have or should have been doing with my time, but I chose to read A Storm of Swords instead. I actually could...more
Lee
← Part 3

I sauntered up to the crowd in the corner like no man has sauntered before. “That's some mighty fine sauntering,” said the security guard whose task was presumably to ensure the book reading didn't get out of hand.

“Why thank you,” I said. Something about the guard made me uneasy, but it would have been against all rules of propriety to behead him there in the fiction section, so I smiled charmingly instead.

“Are you here for the Wed Redding?” he asked.

“You mean the Wed reading,” I said,...more
Liam Purcell
I'm pretty thoroughly addicted to 'A Song of Ice and Fire' now, but I wish someone would find George RR Martin a decent editor. Part of the reason the books are so crazily long is the wealth of unnecessary detail. Some of it adds texture, but do we really need to know what Tyrion had for breakfast every day?

One result of the excessive length is that the focus moves so much that you forget key facts or lose interest in plot threads. There were some revelations at the end of this book that would h...more
Kyra
I loved and hated this book. Because (view spoiler)
Because there were so few Daenerys chapters, and they were wonderful. I thought she was being a little crappy when she (view spoiler) That was low.

The ending was so epic ! I do not mean the epilogue by that, which was unexpected, but th...more
Ciarán West
Christ on a segway, this book was so full of plot, I think G.R.R. Martin was told that he was going to die in six months, and put everything that could have possibly happened ever into the second half. There are LITERALLY no characters left alive, apart from the ones who are left alive, and even then, those characters are probably dead, but they just don't know it yet; like Bruce Willis in The Sixth Sense.

Warning, that last paragraph might have contained spoilers. Except it didn't, really. Becau...more
Graham
A STORM OF SWORDS PART 2 is the second half of a single, massive book split into two volumes. PART 1 was entertaining in itself, but now it turns out that was mostly set-up and exposition to get to the meaty stuff, here in PART 2. And it's an exceptional read, the best of Martin's series yet.

Although I'd already had some stuff spoiled for me (thanks, Internet!) before I read it, there were still so many twists and turns that I couldn't believe what I was reading in parts. This is a truly epic st...more
Rita Teófilo
Este é sem dúvida o melhor livro da saga até agora. O Martin insiste em nos roubar os personagens de que mais gostamos, mas também faz justiça àqueles que mais odiamos. O livro tem cenas incríveis, revelações surpreendentes, reviravoltas espectaculares... como só o Martin parece saber fazer.
Mais uma vez, damos por nós a torcer por personagens que antes não gostávamos, a sentir o coração apertado quanto ao destino de outros.
Tantos acontecimentos fantásticos que resolvi que tinha que fazer algumas...more
Claire
This was the hardest book to read so far, not because it lacked the flow and effortless captivating quality of the earlier instalments, but because it was so gruelling. I felt rewarded for my perseverance by the end, though, with one bombshell revelation following another. Honestly, I found myself realising -- somehow for the first time -- that Martin is so ridiculously talented that he manages to take us on several journeys at once, and they are all so organic. Each character who gets perspecti...more
Pirzha-Loves-Reading
I don't even know what to say about this book! I'm so angry, it was so good though! I enjoyed every word, every page! I loved all of it the good and the bad...
There were time were I was close to throwing the book and just giving up, but none lasted long! I have to say this one made me cry the most, it made me angry, sob, curse, and jump up and down from joy..

I just am too stupid to stop hoping, I get my hopes up and it just gets shattered! But still he makes You get your hopes up again and aga...more
Jules (Never enough time to read)
So where to start....

I LOVED the book, it was by far the best book in the series to date. I almost feel like deducting a star from all the other books just because this one blew them out of the water. It was just a non-stop roller-coaster of cliffhangers, deaths and others.

I doubt it will be long until I pick up the next book in the series. I need to find out what's happening with Jon, Stannis, Sansa, Tyrion and really everyone!!

If season 4 is going to be based on this book then I expect epicn...more
Lou Robinson
Excellent stuff from Mr Martin. Book 3, Part 2 really picked up the pace, I can see why James was encouraging me to read the two paperbacks back to back, part 1 was quite dull in comparison.
Count the bodies! This book is full of death and double-crossing. The remaining Starks are now spread across the kingdoms and seemingly unlikely to get together again any time soon.
Plenty of Tyrion and a good dose of Arya, this was a 5 star volume for me. Book 4 on the reading list for the next beach holiday...more
  • A Corte dos Traidores
  • O Medo do Homem Sábio - part 1 (A Crónica do Regicida, Livro 2 - Parte 1)
  • O Dardo de Kushiel (Kushiel, #1)
  • A Senhora da Magia (As Brumas de Avalon, #1)
  • The Way of Kings, Part 1 (The Stormlight Archive, #1.1)
  • Ventos do Norte (Acácia, #1)
  • Miecz przeznaczenia (Saga o Wiedźminie, #2)
  • O Guerreiro-Lobo (A Saga das Pedras Mágicas, #2)
  • Os Pilares da Terra - Volume II
  • Inside HBO's Game of Thrones: Seasons 1 & 2
  • Pan Lodowego Ogrodu. Tom 3
  • Das Schicksal der Zwerge (Die Zwerge, #4)
  • BookRags Summary:  A Storm of Swords
  • Legends 1 (Legends 1, Volume 1of2)
George R. R. Martin was born September 20, 1948, in Bayonne, New Jersey. His father was Raymond Collins Martin, a longshoreman, and his mother was Margaret Brady Martin. He has two sisters, Darleen Martin Lapinski and Janet Martin Patten.

Martin attended Mary Jane Donohoe School and Marist High School. He began writing very young, selling monster stories to other neighborhood children for pennies,...more
More about George R.R. Martin...
A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, #2) A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, #3) A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, #4) A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5)

“You are grown so very great now, yet the higher a man climbs the farther he has to fall.” 16 likes
“I do so hope he plays us 'The Rains of Castamere.' It has been an hour. I've forgotten how it goes -- Olenna Tyrell, the HBIC” 16 likes