Start by marking “Maya Cosmogenesis 2012: The True Meaning of the Maya Calendar End-Date” as Want to Read:
Maya Cosmogenesis 2012: The True Meaning of the Maya Calendar End-Date

Maya Cosmogenesis 2012: The True Meaning of the Maya Calendar End-Date

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  156 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
While researching the 2012 end-date of the Maya Calendar, John Major Jenkins decoded the Maya's galactic cosmology. The Maya discovered that the periodic alignment of the Sun with the center of the Milky Way galaxy is the formative influence on human evolution. These alignments also define a series of World Ages. The fourth age ends on December 21, 2012, when an epoch chap ...more
Published August 1st 1998 by Bear & Company

To ask other readers questions about Maya Cosmogenesis 2012, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maya Cosmogenesis 2012

The Shining by Stephen KingIt by Stephen KingThe Exorcist by William Peter BlattyPet Sematary by Stephen King'Salem's Lot by Stephen King
Books That Gave Me Nightmares
215th out of 240 books — 461 voters
1984 by George Orwell1066 and All That by W.C. Sellar1776 by David McCullough2001 by Arthur C. Clarke1491 by Charles C. Mann
When Was That ? Specific Dates in Titles
228th out of 229 books — 68 voters

More lists with this book...

Marissa
Dec 18, 2010 Marissa rated it it was amazing
excellent. for those of you that fear the end of the world you need to read this book. it explains how the world is not going to come to an end and that 23,000 year calendar just restarts itself on the 12/21/12 date and also that the date marks a 23,000 year cycle of a conjunction of the milky way, the sun and our planet. so no worries everyone! read it for more info, great book.
Tim
Ik heb dit boek enkele jaren geleden op de boekenbeurs in Antwerpen gekocht omdat in die periode (7-10 jaar geleden) m'n interesse in het onderwerp heel groot was. Maar door omstandigheden kon ik het boek niet direct lezen. Er kwam altijd wat tussen: CD-reviews, andere boeken die me meer aanspraken, enz...

Dan maar een poging gewaagd, maar ik moest al na enkele tientallen pagina's opgeven. Wellicht was het niet het gepaste moment, want het vraagt wel concentratie. Ok, later nog eens proberen. En
David Montaigne
Apr 18, 2013 David Montaigne rated it it was amazing
John Major Jenkins stands out as the number one expert on Mayan cosmology, astronomy, and myth. He understands Mayan culture on a level few other scholars achieve, and when he clearly explains that Mayan culture and mythology are dominated by astronomy, you can accept the idea as fact. Almost everyone has heard that the Mayan Long Count - a 5125 year cycle often erroneously referred to as "The Mayan Calendar" - ends on December 21, 2012. But there are some strange ideas about what this means in ...more
Monika Müller
Sep 24, 2012 Monika Müller rated it did not like it
The enthusiasm of this book's author to do research on the Maya and their cosmology is understandable – more so when one has been under the night sky of the tropics in Central America. This fascinating view easily intrigues a person who is used to live on a place where electricity has taken over the night sky. To the Maya – and even more to the ancient Maya, a time where electricity did not exist – this sky was and to many still is a complete part of their daily life.

Frustrating in this book is
Mom
Oct 22, 2008 Mom rated it liked it
Recommends it for: those interested in Mayan culture, astronomy and mythology.
I bought this book in a bookstore in San Cristobal de las Casas in Chiapas state in Mexico because visits to some of the indigenous villages and to Casa Balom had piqued my interest in the mythology and the beliefs of the Maya. This book speaks to the prediction of the Maya of the end of the 5th world which the author calculates will occur at the winter solstice in 2012. It incorporates astronomical discoveries of the Maya, demonstrates the connections to Mayan city sites, especially Izapan, to ...more
John
Jul 24, 2011 John rated it really liked it
The author of this book provides original insight as to the significance of the Mayan calendar end-date, 2012.12.21. If you want to understand the meaning of this end-date, I would recommend reading the book. I won't try to explain it here, but suffice it to say that the end-date has astronomical relevance. The ancient Mayan astronomy seems to be more mature than our western astronomy in some ways, even today.

Because this books is a partially academic exercise, and the author feels a need to bri
T.A. Brown
John Major Jenkins has written some excellent books about the Mayan culture. He's a lay researcher who's not been poisoned by academic protocols and restraints. This book represents some of his best work, and it gives a whole different view to what Mayan Long-Count Calendar is telling us. Most of all, the Maya discerned the cycles of time, and in those cycles they found seasons of destruction and seasons of recreation. This is a fascinating read that lays out how our solar system is crossing the ...more
Reiden
Jan 07, 2010 Reiden rated it really liked it
When I first started reading this book I thought I would never be able to finish it. I would only recommend The Mayan Cosmogenesis to people who are thoroughly interested in ancient Mesoamerican civilization and their astronomical belief system. Having said this, by the time I reached the end, I had found many of Jenkins conclusions to be very intriguing.

"...the evolutionary heartbeat of humankind beats in rhythm with a higher, Galactic heartbeat, and it is our inner dialogue with our cosmic so
Gabriel Ruata
Sep 20, 2012 Gabriel Ruata rated it it was amazing
One of the best books about the Mayan cosmovision and their astrology, his research about the mayans and their mythology is astounding....a must read if you want to learn about the Mayan civilization and their connections with the cosmos....and of course, a little bit about 2012, the new era....
Kevin
Jan 28, 2009 Kevin rated it liked it
Informative historical account of Mayan culture and Mayan myths. Also includes interesting information regarding archaeoastronomical alignments. However, the author is fairly dry in writing ability. The best part was Terence Mckenna's prologue/intro. Go Terence!!! (R.I.P. too).
Alana
Aug 20, 2011 Alana rated it really liked it
Yes, this is basically a text book and yes, I'm a big dork for reading it cover to cover... but this book taught me a lot about the Mayan calendar and their ancient beliefs. Absolutely worth the read if you're at all interested in astronomical processes.
Arash Aghevli
Jan 13, 2009 Arash Aghevli rated it really liked it
Really great book and quite academic which is nice given the range of speculation about 2012 end-date mythology. This places the theory within the context of cosmology and astronomy which is really a great way to learn about those topics as well.
Alan Luna
Oct 24, 2009 Alan Luna rated it really liked it
This book was ok, even though the book was interesting it took a while for me to read and to fully understand it and it still left me with some unanswered questions. This was a ok/good book. Not bad.
Stacy
May 28, 2009 Stacy added it
I didn't like it. I thought parts were interesting, but not very good reading. I didn't learn much.
danadickerson Dickerson
Jun 29, 2007 danadickerson Dickerson rated it liked it
Recommends it for: armchair scholars
numbers can be used for spiritual and magical purposes far beyond modern comprehension.
Marts  (Thinker)
Feb 11, 2010 Marts (Thinker) marked it as to-read
so much discussion on 2012, may as well do some reading on it
Magdalena
Feb 17, 2008 Magdalena rated it really liked it
Jennifer marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
charles henson
charles henson rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2016
Matthew Shinker
Matthew Shinker is currently reading it
Apr 15, 2016
Mykal Ulula
Mykal Ulula rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2016
Man4science
Man4science marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Erin Keenan
Erin Keenan marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
Santiago
Santiago marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
anghel
anghel marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Evelyn Nordström
Evelyn Nordström marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016
Raul Duke
Raul Duke marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
Kathleen Martin
Kathleen Martin marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
Nader Atig
Nader Atig rated it did not like it
Mar 02, 2016
Robbie
Robbie marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
  • The Mayan Code: Time Acceleration and Awakening the World Mind
  • The Egypt Code
  • The Mayan Calendar and the Transformation of Consciousness
  • Lost Star of Myth and Time
  • From Atlantis to the Sphinx
  • Girl Mary
  • Hamlet's Mill: An Essay Investigating  the Origins of Human Knowledge & Its Transmission Through Myth
  • Gateway to Atlantis: The Search for the Source of a Lost Civilization
  • Sinister Forces-The Nine: A Grimoire of American Political Witchcraft
  • The Message of the Sphinx: A Quest for the Hidden Legacy of Mankind
  • The Mystery of 2012: Predictions, Prophecies & Possibilities
  • The Lost Civilizations of the Stone Age
  • Serpent in the Sky: The High Wisdom of Ancient Egypt
  • Maps of the Ancient Sea Kings: Evidence of Advanced Civilization in the Ice Age
  • Crusade Against the Grail: The Struggle between the Cathars, the Templars, and the Church of Rome
  • The Visionary Mayan Queen: Yohl Ik'nal of Palenque (Mists of Palenque, #1)
  • Toward 2012: Perspectives on the Next Age