Start by marking “The Word And The Sword: How Techniques Of Information And Violence Have Shaped Our World (Studies In Social Discontinuity)” as Want to Read:

Dudley attempts to impose a pattern on the entire history of human civilization. He shows how the major transformations in the character of social life have been determined by eight significant innovations: four new ways of dealing with information - writing, printing, mass media and integrated circuits; and four new ways of organizing the applications of violence - metal ...more
Hardcover
Published April 8th 1992 by Wiley-Blackwell

To ask other readers questions about The Word And The Sword, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Word And The Sword

J.M. Hushour
Feb 24, 2013 J.M. Hushour rated it liked it
This is about six things that altered history: writing, printing, integrated circuits, and some military shit I don't remember. Finished over a really, just goddamn delicious bowl of chicken noodle soup (Campbell's), I can't get over how exhilarating that bowl of soup was. Soup! Yummy soup! Soooouuuuuuuuup. A surprising paucity of soup in the book itself, though, rest assured, Martin Luther was known as "Soupy" by his fellow Wittenbergians. He drowned in soup.
Kaan
Kaan rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2013
Mamadou
Mamadou marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2013
Garba
Garba marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Øivind
Øivind marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016