Start by marking “More Than Words: Contemporary Writers on the Works That Shaped Them” as Want to Read:
More Than Words: Contemporary Writers on the Works That Shaped Them

More Than Words: Contemporary Writers on the Works That Shaped Them

Good books inspire the imagination, jump-start creativity, and kindle new ideas. So it's no surprise that for these twenty-one members of the Chrysostom Society (a renowned contemporary Christian writers' group) the works of classic literary masters have played an influential role in shaping their writing.
In this revised and updated volume of "Reality and the Vision, " wh
Published September 1st 2002 by Baker Books (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about More Than Words, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More Than Words

Dana
Sep 03, 2015 Dana rated it really liked it
Read this for the second time. It was interesting to note which parts struck me the first time reading it and which parts struck me this second time. Over all I got more out of this second reading because I read much more literature now than I used to. This book includes a wide variety of writers from different denominations within Christianity (both in the authors who write the essays and the writers they are writing about) and some can be challenging depending on what denomination you come ...more
Eric Wright
A hidden gem! Sometimes one stumbles on a book serendipitously. Such is the case with "More than Words--Contemporary writers on the Works that Shaped Them." Our local church librarian passed this used book on to me as a volume given to her that she considered of minimal interest to most in the church. It turned out to be a gem that I have been reading slowly, chapter by chapter for six months or so.

Philip Yancey and James Calvin Schaap have done us a great service in compiling this treasure of
Michael
Aug 26, 2009 Michael rated it really liked it
Here's a good summary of the book from Amazon.com: _In More Than Words: Contemporary Writers on the Works That Shaped Them_, some of the best writers in the Christian community discuss their formative creative influences. Madeleine L'Engle pays tribute to George MacDonald, fantasy writer Stephen Lawhead extols the contributions of J.R.R. Tolkien and Harold Fickett revisits Flannery O'Connor. This collection, which was edited by James Calvin Schaap and compiled and introduced by Philip Yancey, is ...more
Dana
Feb 20, 2010 Dana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommended to me by James Calvin Schapp who is the editor. Overall this was a good book and although I did not enjoy each and every chapter the chapters I did like I enjoyed quite a bit. I am not someone who is into all genres of writing but reading about the different genres was interesting. There is much to chew on in this book and I had to keep a pencil nearby while reading so I could make notes and underline things. I love to read about the integration of faith into all areas ...more
J.D.
Sep 24, 2009 J.D. rated it liked it
All the makings of a great book. Authors talk about the authors that inspired them and led them to want to create as well. Some chapters excelled and were great, but others made this book drag on for far too long. I really appreciated Madeleine L'engle's chapter on George Macdonald and Luci Shaw's on Henri Nouwen. This is not one to buy, but rather get from the library and just look at the chapters that interest you.
Joy
Jan 28, 2009 Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd been reading on this for awhile. Each chapter is
by a current writer about an older writer. They give
a review of the older writers works, plus how they got
started reading them, and what they recommend for a new
reader of the older writer's works. I have enough
recommendations to last awhile. I'm particularly
challenged to read books by A. Solzhenitsyn, George
McDonald (seriously this time), and Charles Dickins
(become a mini-authority).
Matthew
Aug 22, 2015 Matthew rated it liked it
This is an interesting book because it is about authors who have had profound influence on current writers. There were a hand full of authors that appealed to me. Some of the best essays were about authors that brought alive the mundane and ordinary to show God's common grace. Some of the essays were disappointing (esp on Dostoevsky). Overall a pretty good book.
Sue C
Jan 16, 2016 Sue C rated it really liked it
I haven't finished this book because it was due at the library. It has inspired me to dig into other authors, however. It is the sort of book that should be owned, and often-thumbed. It is not easily found on search engines., but when I have some cash in my book budget, I hope to find an inexpensive copy on Amazon. It really is good.
Maria
Oct 31, 2013 Maria rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir, religion
Outstanding collection of reflections from Christian writers on the writers who have influenced them vocationally and spiritually. They read like meditations. This is a book I often re-read every few years.
Jane
Jane rated it really liked it
May 20, 2007
Stuart
Stuart rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2013
Paul
Paul rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2007
Mwvickers
Mwvickers rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2015
Christine
Christine rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2012
Grace
Grace rated it did not like it
Mar 08, 2009
Tiffani
Tiffani rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2009
John
John rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2015
Beth
Beth rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2016
Globalcook
Globalcook rated it really liked it
May 19, 2011
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2012
Farouk Sanda
Farouk Sanda rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2013
Stacey Douglas
Stacey Douglas rated it really liked it
May 09, 2012
Daniel Rustad
Daniel Rustad rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2012
Steve
Steve rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2016
Sally
Sally rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2011
Noella
Noella rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2012
Johnnie Alexander
Johnnie Alexander rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2014
Scott
Scott rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2009
J-ma
J-ma rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2011
Steve Sheppard
Steve Sheppard rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2011
A native of Atlanta, Georgia, Philip Yancey earned graduate degrees in Communications and English from Wheaton College Graduate School and the University of Chicago. He joined the staff of Campus Life Magazine in 1971, and worked there as Editor and then Publisher. He looks on those years with gratitude, because teenagers are demanding readers, and writing for them taught him a lasting principle: ...more
More about Philip Yancey...