Of Bread, Blood and the Hunger Games: Critical Essays on the Suzanne Collins Trilogy

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  29 ratings  ·  5 reviews
This collection of fresh essays on Suzanne Collins’s epic trilogy spans multiple disciplines. The contributors probe the trilogy’s meaning using theories grounded in historicism, feminism, humanism, queer theory, as well as cultural, political, and media studies. The essayists demonstrate diverse perspectives regarding Collins’s novels but their works have three elements i...more
Published July 2012 by Mcfarland & Co Inc Pub (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Of Bread, Blood and the Hunger Games, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Of Bread, Blood and the Hunger Games

Kelly
A must read for academics and fans alike!

Full disclosure: I received a free copy of this book through Library Thing’s Early Reviewer program.

In anticipation of the 2012 release of the film, a number of books about The Hunger Games trilogy hit the market - much to my geeky joy. As far as academic volumes go, Smart Pop's most excellent The Girl Who Was on Fire was one of the early releases (later updated to include several chapters on the film), followed by The Hunger Games and Philosophy: A Criti...more
Kathleen
This "did not finish" is NOT the mark of a bad book. I simply read the articles that applied to my thesis and didn't read the others. (I have a habit of reading for way too long and then not writing soon enough, hence me stopping after reading the necessary articles)

Very interesting; I highly recommend it.
Shiloh (Fantastic Reading)
A very thorough, very thoughtful collection of essays on The Hunger Games that raised my awareness of the symbolism and intertextuality that the series is rife with. Definitely increased my appreciation for Collins' skill and story.
Saroon
really enjoyed it. a good collection of essays, a couple of essays were very good and interesting.
Alice
I am doing my thesis on The Hunger Games and this book sooooo helped me to get an analytic perspective of the books I love, highly recommended for english/literature majors like me :)
Betsy
Betsy added it
Jun 17, 2014
Sarah-may  brown
Sarah-may brown marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Sandra Lourenço
Sandra Lourenço marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
L
L marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Yvonne Rivera
Yvonne Rivera marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Jenna
Jenna marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
Kim
Kim is currently reading it
Mar 03, 2014
Doris.pasha
Doris.pasha marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2014
Rene
Rene marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2014
Ashley Gavila
Ashley Gavila marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
Twohundredandtwentyonebooks
Twohundredandtwentyonebooks is currently reading it
Jan 03, 2014
Lisa C
Lisa C marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2013
Ashley Anderson
Ashley Anderson marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2013
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2013