Start by marking “First Rider's Call (Green Rider, #2)” as Want to Read:
First Rider's Call (Green Rider, #2)

First Rider's Call (Green Rider #2)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  14,470 ratings  ·  398 reviews
Karigan G'ladheon had been a Green Rider, one of the king of Sacoridia's elite magical messengers. In the messenger service she had been caught up in a world of deadly danger, and though she had defeated the Eletian who cracked the magical D'Yer Wall—which had protected Sacoridia for a thousand years from the dark influence of Blackveil Forest, and Mornhavon the Black's ev ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 596 pages
Published August 3rd 2004 by DAW (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about First Rider's Call, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Rider's Call

I really struggled between giving this book two stars or three, but ultimately had to admit that I liked it. I am a sucker for series, and this book really had some good moments. I found myself drawn in and actually reading the book before bed, where with most books I reserve them only for my commute.

So now for the bad...GOOD LORD is this book a rip off of Lord of the Rings! Just like the first one is! Allow me to list the similarities (of course, some of these are carry-overs from Green Rider,
I am really astonished at how much better First Rider's Call is than Green Rider(#1). This book is much darker than the first, but Britain's prose doesn't feel forced here to become such, as I felt it did throughout Green Rider. In fact, just in general, I feel her writing improved a thousand fold. The world building has become very solid and engaging, the pacing is fantastic, and the interlude excerpts from the Journal of Hadriax el Fex are a great addition to the narrative. Smartly written cha ...more
This is the sequel to ‘Green Rider’, and a well done sequel at that.

Karigan G’ladheon had gone home to follow in her fathers footsteps, to be a merchant, determined to leave the world of kings, advisors, and Green Riders, behind. Everyone told her she wouldn’t be able to resist the call of the Riders, that once chosen, you stayed chosen, but she would have none of it. She didn’t want to be a Green Rider, she didn’t want to be a messenger. The brief period she had spent finishing the job of a de
I almost gave this one 3-stars like the first book, but let's face it friends--any 600 page book that you finish in 2 days is a 4-star at LEAST. Not a great work of literary prowess, but a GREAT STORY. This time around I cared a lot more about the characters--especially Captain Laren, Lord Alton, and Lil--the "First Rider." I LOVED the time travel aspect of the story. That can just never get old to me--so many possibilities. The world and the magic are entrancing.

That being said, it still bugs m
This volume was noticeably better than the first, in my opinion. Kristen Britain's writing seems to have matured, and the plot and character development are definitely stronger. Britain also manages to successfully weave multiple story threads together in a way that makes the story richer, rather than cluttered, as if often the case when authors attempt to do so. Although the first volume was supposed to be exciting, I personally found it a little dull and generic, an obvious combination of Merc ...more
This series is fantastic. This felt slower than the first, but there were a lot of chilling moments where we find out so much of the past and more about the enemy and how he came to be. We discover more of Karigan's ancestry and on the first rider, Lil. Overall a great sequel, and I look forward to continuing!
Ms. Library
Since I read Lord of the Rings when I was younger, I have had a soft spot for high fantasy. I admit it-I love the sprawling epics and the magic and the long history and the unwritten rules that most of them seem to follow. However, every now and then, I find my appreciation for genre is completely overwhelmed by the ridiculousness of the enterprise.
Green Rider/First Rider’s Call falls into the latter. I so wanted to like it. Its something sixteen year old me would probably have gobbled up immed
It's not often that I want to rip the pages out of a book just so I can finally finish the book and be done with it, so I guess that's one thing First Rider's Call will forever be notable for. But that's not a good thing. I swear, the damn thing would never end and a great deal of nothing was happening the whole time. My copy was 800 pages, and the only time anything truly started to get moving was around the 700 page mark, and at that point you just want it to be over.

I am particularly disappoi
Kelsey J.
Definitely pretty good, overall. I had read the first book at least 2 years ago, so for the first 50 pages or so, I felt pretty lost, like I'd skipped a book. But then the details started trickling in, bit by bit, and I was appreciative of the fact that there hadn't been a huge info-dump at the beginning. It made the story flow better, and the reader curious to find out what was going on.

The reason that this doesn't get 5 stars is that too often, there was telling and not showing. And while it's
You know, it’s fairly standard for fantasy books of ‘original’ worlds to have a map in the front (or back). I love looking at these maps, and ironing out the geography in my mind. I like maps in general, especially old ones. So in Green Rider, the first book of this series, I was sad not to find a map of Sacoridia. And alas, this book still doesn’t have one. Maybe its deliberate on Britain’s part, because if a map says, ‘Frelling Empire’ you kinda assume the empire is going be mentioned, visited ...more
As with my review of the first book in the Green Rider series, this is based on my second reading of the book. And once again, my initial review of four stars stands, but this comes after much debate, because my four stars for First Rider's Call is very different than my four stars for Green Rider. This is one of those times at which I truly wish there were a way to rate a book with four and a half stars, because First Rider's Call honestly deserves it.

Between books, Britain developed greatly as
Mike (the Paladin)
***Update: The forth book to this "trilogy" was just published. Oh well.

This is a good follow up (second book) in a good trilogy(sorry, series).

*This is a mainly character driven book. The "courier" is in fact an interesting historical character in "his or her" own right. Traditionally given special consideration (passing through enemy lines in battle, traveling enemy territory allowing communication between hostile powers etc.) they are fascinating. Of course what I mention above is the "ideal
Loved it!!

There were times when Karrigan was quite annoying, especially when she chose to ignore signs that something wasn't quite right but I was happy to see that she finally pulled her blinkers off..

Can't wait to get to next one in the series...
Rather lengthy, but quite good!
Glenn O'Bannon
Man, I love these books! The characters are compelling, the dialogue is natural and the story is exciting. The action is non-stop and the world is really interesting.

Kristen Britain is really imaginative! The situations and the characters she creates remind me a little bit of the best in fantasy literature. Her imagination reminds me a little bit of Edgar Rice Burroughs at times. It amazes me what came out of his fevered brow. Only she is a much better writer than he.

In this book, Karigan is bac
Karigan has reluctantly joined the Green Riders to spare herself further embarrassment. Realizing she'd ridden through two towns in her nightgown was quite enough. But the intrigue at the castle is thickening, and ghosts are starting to bother her again. Well, one ghost. The First Rider's ghost. And she has her eye on Karigan...

I actually liked this better than the first book, which, although adventurous, was also fairly straightforward. This one twists through space and time, and the past gets
Karigan has now finished school and is at first attempting to resist the Rider's call (with highly comical results, that quite possibly becomes a new tale for the bards), but quickly returns where she belongs. Dire happenings are stirring in the kingdom; the D'yer Wall, damaged in the crazed Eletian's rampage that Karigan helped thwart, has been unable to be mended with the cracks spreading and leaking wild magic. Even worse, the thing the Wall was built to contain and suppress is awakening and ...more
I devoured my way through the first book and the second book was no different although there were things I wished were lengthened.

At first you'd think the book would mostly be the struggle Karigan faced to actually answer the call of being a Green Rider, ancient messengers of the king. However, that wasn't the case. You basically get one chapter--I really wish that part had more detail. Sure, I suppose you could say the rest of book was also a debate about whether or not Karigan felt comfortable
Kate Jessop
First Rider’s Call was a 4.5 stars book for me. Although I thoroughly enjoyed the sequel to Kristen Britain’s The Green Rider, it wasn’t quite as fast paced as its predecessor. This isn’t to say that the novel doesn’t start with a bang—it does. Readers are hooked from the onset, as main character Karrigan G’ladheon and other Green Riders on assignment are devastated by an attack from a horrific evil that hasn’t been seen in centuries. Discouraged, what is left of the party returns to report to K ...more
Excellent book. Interesting story line. More setting up of love stories but never really got to any of them yet. The violence was described in more detail in this one than the first and I didn't really like that but was able to skip over a paragraph here or there. The end was a bit odd until I realized there was another book and I'm excited to continue the series. Very fun books.
I really enjoyed this book. It had me gripped right from the start. I like how Britain skips over some of the slower parts of the book's beginning. While other authors may have taken the time to write numerous chapters on Karigan's resistance and ultimate submission to the Call, Britain instead skips months ahead and briefly fills the reader in on what events took place to get her to the Green Riders.

I also loved the introduction of the First Rider. It was great to take the trips to the past to
Feb 13, 2012 Shane rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: magic
This book was an absolute rush from start to finish.I just couldn't put it down. There's fun and adventure, romance, emotional cliffhangers, and of course a lot of magic and swordfighting. The protagonist is easy to love and relate to; her depiction of bravery is beyond impressive. Thank God for this series and I kinda hope it never ends!

Overall, solid books, in a solid series, with enough continuity to make you want more, and enough wrap up in each book so far to not feel like you're being hung out on a cliff.

For horse mad teenagers who read fantasy, this would be a definite win, but I'm not sure a rabid Valdemar fan could read it without making the comparisons I do. I think Valdemar, as a series, is more coherent and possibly better written, at least the early books. But I'm no rabid fan, and Talia always seemed a little se

Eric Allen
An Opinionated look At:

Kristen Britain's First Rider's Call

By Eric Allen

All right, it's been over ten years since this book first came out. I'm a tad bit late in picking it up. I read Green Rider, the first in this series, when it first came out, and at the time, I thought it had come to an end, and never bothered to check and see if there were any more in the series. Oops. Well, better late than never, I suppose.

Two years have passed since the king's brother tried and failed to take the throne
Cathlene Burk
There were times when I felt a bit lost in all the twists and turns, but enjoyed this book anyway. The characters became more real, in this second book of the series, and I am now curious about what is to come in the third.
This is quickly turning into a favorite series. Sometimes I get very emotionally invested in the characters I read about. Parts of this book near the end had me tearing up. I can't wait to read happens in the next one!
As much as I enjoyed the first book in this series, I can't finish this one. It's all over the shop with plotting and the bad guy has a bunch of undead in cloaks. Really, we've not seen that before in fantasy.
What? Her power is time traveling? And why is it that no one can figure out that bad things are happening? It's like they all have their heads in the sand like ostriches.
Rena Sherwood
This is better than the previous book, The Green Rider. However, you do have to read The Green Rider before you can have any chance of understanding what is going on in First Rider's Call. A lot of action in this one and some nice comedy touches, too, which help to balance some of the eerie or bloody bits. Apparently, the First Rider had a Canadian accent (she ends most of her sentences with "Hey?"). Only quibble -- some 21st century slang ("What's with this snow?") slips in, but it does not dis ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Combine editions of First Rider's Call 2 14 Jun 25, 2013 06:50PM
  • Path of Honor (Path, #2)
  • Cast In Secret (Chronicles of Elantra #3)
  • The Lesser Kindred (The Tale of Lanen Kaelar, #2)
  • Exile's Valor (Heralds of Valdemar, #7)
  • Wolf's Head, Wolf's Heart (Firekeeper Saga, #2)
  • Reader and Raelynx (Twelve Houses, #4)
  • The Hero Strikes Back (Hero, #2)
  • Princess at Sea (Princess, #2)
  • Treason Keep (Hythrun Chronicles: Demon Child Trilogy, #2)
Kristen Britain grew up in the Finger Lakes region of New York State, where she started her first novel - an undersea fantasy featuring herself and her friends - at the age of nine. She published her first book, a cartoon collection called Horses and Horsepeople, at the age of thirteen. After completing her degree in film production at Ithaca College in 1987 she made the logical (?!) leap from cin ...more
More about Kristen Britain...

Green Rider (6 books)
  • Green Rider (Green Rider, #1)
  • The High King's Tomb (Green Rider, #3)
  • Blackveil (Green Rider, #4)
  • Mirror Sight (Green Rider, #5)
  • Firebrand (Green Rider, #6)
Green Rider (Green Rider, #1) The High King's Tomb (Green Rider, #3) Blackveil (Green Rider, #4) Mirror Sight (Green Rider, #5) Firebrand (Green Rider, #6)

“They come in injured and mangled, we put them back together, then they stand in my halls making demands. A thankless lot to be sure.” 24 likes
“Reveal yourself, mage! Only a coward stays cloaked in invisibility.” 13 likes