Start by marking “Kaoru Mori: Anything and Something” as Want to Read:
Kaoru Mori: Anything and Something

Kaoru Mori: Anything and Something

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  159 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
At times hilarious, at others heartwarming, this collection of short stories penned by one of Japan's most talented artists is a perfect addition to any library! A young girl discovers that new glasses give her a whole new perspective on the world, a bunny-girl waitress learns to cope with her male customers with dignity, an introverted art student inspires her fellow club ...more
Published December 11th 2012 by Yen Press

To ask other readers questions about Kaoru Mori, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kaoru Mori

Goth by OtsuichiThe Voices of a Distant Star by Makoto ShinkaiWanted by Matsuri HinoThe One I Love by CLAMPYume Kira Dream Shoppe by Aqua Mizuto
Manga Oneshots
51st out of 272 books — 155 voters
The Earl and The Fairy, Volume 01 by Mizue TaniBlack Butler, Volume 01 by Yana TobosoEmma, Vol. 01 by Kaoru MoriPandora Hearts パンドラハーツ 1 by Jun MochizukiD.Gray-man, Volume 01 by Katsura Hoshino
Victorian Era Manga
14th out of 27 books — 29 voters

More lists with this book...

Sandhya Shyamsundar
Oct 11, 2014 Sandhya Shyamsundar rated it really liked it
Voluptuous female figures, soft and smooth facial features that appear to instantly butter melt, robes and corsets intrinsically sketched proving the artist’s keen attention and interest to detail; all elements and characters embodied in culturally rich endowed sagas – This is the unique picturesque ability of one of japan’s most talented female artists, Kaoru Mori.

I was introduced to Mori when I was 11 years old and being captivated by her previous works ‘Emma: A Victorian Romance’ (not to be c
Estara
Feb 23, 2013 Estara rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of the mangaka and cheesecake
Recommended to Estara by: Kaoru Mori short story collection - a no brainer
Shelves: manga, read-in-2013
Mike
May 11, 2013 Mike rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
I was previously only familiar with Kaoru Mori from the first volume of A Bride's Story, which is incredible and has some of the most detailed and beautiful art I've ever seen. This collection gave an opportunity to check out more of her work and, since the contents were pulled from a ten year period, see how it has evolved.

Anything and Something is part short fiction, part artbook/sketchbook (125 pages and 75 pages, respectively). A major part of why I was interested in this is Mori's art and
Lexie
Apr 09, 2014 Lexie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gns-owned-read
Prelim Review: I'm really glad that Yen Press decided to translate this little treasure trove of work from Kaoru Mori. Very few publishers deem collections like these to be worth translating since it doesn't fit in with established series. In fact though this collection of short comics, editorial notes, illustrations, sketches and whacky doodles is quite an insight into Mori.

Her trademark love of maids is ever-present in several tales, however there's also a comic about a woman explaining why sh
Krishna *needs a pink katana*
Extremely pretty, as usual, this is Kaoru Mori's work after all. I particularly liked the swimsuit story and the information sections at the end. Definitely recommended.
Anna
Jul 23, 2014 Anna added it
Shelves: manga
A very random lil collection of one-shots. Some are incredibly sexy, others just bits of comedy covered in usual maid dresses. Most were done for Fellows! mag themed collections, so outta context it seems even more random

Most of the book tho - rambling notes on her works and travels, Emma/Bride's Story illustrations & sketches and suddenly pages on Victorian corsets and fireplaces! With very detailed (some tiny!) illustrations crammed into every inch of the page

For what you get content-wise,
Chibineko
Apr 05, 2013 Chibineko rated it really liked it
If you're looking for anything other than a rather pleasant mish-mash of various materials, then you'll probably be disappointed with this collection. Rather than have one linear story or several meaty one-shots, this collection is made up of several stories that are only a few pages long and dozens of various illustrations and notes from Mori. If I had to describe it, I'd say it was the "and the kitchen sink" of her work. It's basically all of the things that wouldn't cleanly fit with any other ...more
P.
Apr 04, 2013 P. rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories, manga
My introduction to Kaoru Mori was through A Bride's Story, which is the book I recommend to people who say they can't get into manga (I was one of those people). This collection of short pieces and ephemera from 10 years of her career so far convinced me that I'd like to read her previous work as well. And it made me wish I knew more about manga magazines. Some of the stories are just cute, some are silly, some fun informative pieces on the history of fireplaces and corsets, and some are really ...more
Aliya L-H
Jul 12, 2014 Aliya L-H rated it really liked it
I loved this book...well the first half at least. The variety of story kept me hooked and I finished the whole book in a matter of hours. I got bored after the Midway point where Mori checked in via manga character. It was interesting to get some back ground info on herself and her career as well as he characters but I wish she included more short comics. But still deffinetly worth a read :)
Keiran Thegreat
Apr 30, 2014 Keiran Thegreat rated it really liked it
A collection of various short works by Kaoru Mori with extensive author's notes. A mixed bag to be sure, but a mix of lovely things. Beautiful artwork and some charming tales. Ideal for fans of Kaoru Mori's other work and still a nice book for those who have not encountered Emma, Shirley, or Bride's Story.
Anna
Dec 22, 2013 Anna rated it really liked it
A collection of short stories, doodles and sketches from the last decade of Kaoru Mori's career as a manga artist. For anyone interested in her work and other little projects she has done before her debut with Emma: Victorian Romance. Although the stories in here are short and experimental with an entertaining and throw-away quality, her artwork remains breath-takingly detailed and beautiful. Her funny afterwords are written in a comic-style diary and shows how hard she works and how humble she ...more
Sara
Nov 24, 2014 Sara rated it liked it
I adore the Bride's Story series, which is why I picked this up. Some fun stuff in here, but I... just didn't get the short "stories". None of the endings made sense to me. I don't know if I should be ashamed of that, or if it's just some cultural thing...?
Gillian Dawson
Jan 17, 2016 Gillian Dawson rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel
2.5

I love Kaoru Mori's style and her series, but this was just way too much fan service for me. The woman has a mad obsession with maids and bunnygirls.

The histories of corsets and fireplaces was very interesting.
Winna
Apr 20, 2014 Winna rated it it was ok
Kumpulan cerita dewasa, beberapa random dan gambar maupun ceritanya nggak sedetail dan sebagus cerita Kaoru Mori biasanya.

Lumayan untuk melengkapi koleksi, tapi bukan karya favorit.
Miss
Dec 15, 2012 Miss rated it liked it
Kaoru Mori is one of the few authors I know capable of drawing fanservice that doesn't alienate me. I just find myself really charmed by how enthusiastic she is about it. I can't summon up feminist frowns in the face of so much maid love. It comes off as more sweet than gross somehow? Idk. I'm rambling because this book isn't actually a full story I can assess, it's bits and pieces of Mori's work collected from all over. The only real unifying theme is her love of drawing sexy women, particularl ...more
Guguk
Sep 27, 2015 Guguk rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Aku cuma suka gambar-2 sketsanya + cerita-2nya tentang ini-itu, sementara kumpulan komiknya sendiri...aku suka cerita cewek berkacamata itu (^,^) ceritanya manis~
Tapi untuk yang lainnya, aku kurang suka sama ceritanya...
ε===(っω)っ
Sasha Boersma
Jun 13, 2014 Sasha Boersma rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I liked the demonstration of Kaoru's range of manga style talent. Book was a collection of short stories, snippets. And art samples. Nothing deep, but interesting.
Lauren
Apr 29, 2016 Lauren rated it it was amazing
Some interesting shorts in here and lots of fun drawings from the author of Emma and a Bride's Story
Felipe
May 04, 2015 Felipe rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
Half short mangas/ half promo materials. Loved the 6 page corset guide.
Grg
Jun 30, 2014 Grg rated it really liked it
Really only for serious Kaoru Mori fans, like me.
Mark
Nov 20, 2015 Mark marked it as to-read
Recommended to Mark by: Unshelved
Crystal Bandel
Feb 07, 2013 Crystal Bandel rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
This compilation of short stories by one of my favorite manga-ka emphasizes one main thing about her: she really loves the female body. The stories are all quite short and rarely have much lasting impact, but all of them feature females that you can adore in some way. The story that had the strongest impact on me was written by someone else and illustrated by Mori, while everything else is cute and fluffy. I'm still glad I have this, but it's not required reading for fans of hers.
Ruth
Aug 09, 2013 Ruth rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, 2013-reads
It's a little uneven in parts due to the nature of the book ("Anything and Something" is a pretty accurate description), but Mori's humor is there throughout to make the rougher transitions easier to swallow. The short stories are a lot of fun, and best of all, there is plenty of Mori's beautiful art. This is definitely something for established fans of Mori though--it will not have any real meaning to anyone who isn't already familiar with at least one of her works.
Ravenhats
Jan 28, 2013 Ravenhats rated it really liked it
One half short story collection, the other half art book Anything and Something is a wonder collection. The art is outstanding, and the stories have a variety of styles and range in tone. I would give it another star, but the short length of the stories and the fact that a great deal of this book is just artwork rather then story (though very excellent and well researched art)prevents me from doing so. 4.5 stars
Emily
Jan 09, 2014 Emily rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga-manhwa
Kaoru Mori is adorable and fangirls over things in the cutest way. The fangirling over fireplaces was especially precious. I bet she's a huge Downton Abbey fan.
Mayday (m.i.d.e)
Dec 31, 2014 Mayday (m.i.d.e) rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga-2014
Kaoru Mori menulis di bagian belakang buku ini jika setelah membaca manga ini, dia khawatir orang-orang akan berpikir lain tentangnya....

...jujur, pernyataan itu benar sekali. Ada sisi lain dari Kaoru Mori yang walaupun saya sudah tau dia seperti itu, tapi ditegaskan lagi :))

Yang jelas, dia suka sekali seragam maid. Di sini pembantu gak pake seragam, oh dunia delusi.....
Katie
Oct 01, 2015 Katie added it
Shelves: manga
I am not going to rate this despite the fact that I loved it, mainly because it is exactly what the title says. It's a few short stories (which were of course awesome) and lots and lots and lots of art and notes from Kaoru Mori. Who is a genius. Mostly this is an excuse to oogle her beautiful artwork and her super awesome ladies.
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
Just... I don't know. Because it's a collection of random it is just very random. I adored all the maid bits, espcially the history of corsets and fireplaces, but everything else... it was weird, and half the stuff didn't make any sense because it's for publications or stores I've never heard of, it need better annotations.
Sherry
May 27, 2013 Sherry rated it it was amazing
I'm a huge fan of Mori's work so this book was fun; a chance to see random drawings, signing cards, promotional materials and short bits published in magazines, etc. Not recommended for readers new to her work because you wouldn't get a chance to truly appreciate her talent. Pick up Emma or A Bride's Story first.
Jean
Jan 03, 2013 Jean rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
This is a wonderful little treasure trove of art, short stories, and background information, for fans of Kaoru Mori. It doesn't stand alone well, but it's a must-see for hardcore manga fans and fans of Kaoru Mori. My favorite short is 'To Come To See.'
Josei and Seinen ...: Kaoru Mori: Anything and Something Discussion 2 9 Mar 02, 2014 01:58PM
  • A Drunken Dream and Other Stories
  • Bunny Drop, Vol. 4
  • Antique Bakery, Volume 3
  • Neko Ramen: Hey! Order Up!
  • Wandering Son, Vol. 3
  • Tramps Like Us, Volume 5
  • Helter Skelter
  • Utsubora - The Story of a Novelist
  • Cross Game 4 (Cross Game, #8-9)
  • Kaze Hikaru, Volume 1
  • House of Five Leaves, Vol. 1
  • 花は咲くか 1 [Hana wa Saku ka 1]
Kaoru Mori (森 薫) is a mangaka best known for her series "Emma". Many of her stories are set in Britain and center on characters who are maids.
More about Kaoru Mori...