Start by marking “Ice Forged (Ascendant Kingdoms, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ice Forged (Ascendant Kingdoms, #1)

Ice Forged (Ascendant Kingdoms #1)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  1,029 ratings  ·  147 reviews
Condemned as a murderer for killing the man who dishonored his sister, Blaine "Mick" McFadden has spent the last six years in Velant, a penal colony in the frigid northern wastelands of Edgeland. Harsh military discipline and the oppressive magic of the governor's mages keep a fragile peace as colonists struggle against a hostile environment. But the supply ships from Dond ...more
Published January 8th 2013 by Orbit (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Ice Forged, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ice Forged

Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths Reviews

Ice Forged is an entertaining but flawed fantasy/post-apocalyptic hybrid that dazzles in its depiction of the frozen waste of Edgeland and its prisoners/colonists but undergoes a disappointing evolution near the end that results in a very forgettable conclusion.

The story itself centers on a young nobleman, Blaine McFadden, who succumbs to righteous anger and slays his abusive father. The King of Donderath shows mercy to young Blaine by banishing him to
♍ichael Ƒierce
Sep 21, 2013 ♍ichael Ƒierce rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of A Game of Thrones, High fantasy, and snow & ice :)

I won an ARC of Ice Forged by Gail Z. Martin in November 2012, right here on Goodreads! -- *And so you know, all opinions are completely my own and Big Mike receives no compensations of any type for this review.

This book's cover art grabbed me immediately while skimming through the many GR book giveaways!

Fantasy. Ice. Hyborean looking hero. And the fiery lettering of Ice Forged emblazoned on the cover was enough to pique my interest.

First off, this is the sort of story that, while not defined a
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum

I've long been curious about Ice Forged. Though I also own The Summoner from her Chronicles of the Necromancer series, for some reason I just knew I wanted this one to be my first Gail Z. Martin book. They're both stories set in high fantasy worlds, but lands of ice and snow have always fascinated me, I don't know why. Maybe because I think these harsh settings are often fertile ground for exceptional protagonists, driven
⊱ Irena ⊰
From Read Now section on NetGalley.
I've been reading this for days. It wasn't really gripping so I forgot to add it on reading list. Every few days I'd take a peak and I managed to finish it. Even now I am not sure what to think of it.
Maybe I wasn't in the right mood for this, but the story never held my attention the way I thought it would. So take this with a grain of salt. It is possible that it is better than it seems.
I am planning to read it again in the future just to be fair.
There's a voice in my head that tells me that any Martin that also uses their initials must be related to George. I imagine that Gail and George could be having writer type conversations at family meet-ups, swapping plot ideas and congratulating each other for another book they enjoyed. Sadly, it seems this is only in my mind, I couldn't find any evidence at all of a familial connection. However, there are plenty of other connections apparent here. For a start, they both write successful epic fa ...more
Want it in a nutshell? Prisoners in a Russian gulag find out that the world they were forced to leave has been all but destroyed. And despite having been sent to the ends of the earth for their crimes against the kingdom, and putting in hard time in horrible conditions, they are a bit more reluctant to leave the life they have been able to forge in this land. Lead by a noble who gave up his name when forced out of his old life it may be up to them to keep the world from falling in on itself. For ...more
Ranting Dragon

Ice Forged is the seventh novel by American author Gail Z. Martin, and her first one to take place outside of the Winter Kingdoms, the world of the Fallen Kings Cycle and the Chronicles of the Necromancer. It tells the story of a young man’s quest to stay alive in a world turned to chaos. Blaine “Mick” McFadden finds himself struggling to restore order in the face of warlords, assassins, criminals and the threat of an invading army.

A new world and a new st
I grabbed this book on sale for the Kindle and I have more than mixed feelings about it.
It's not terrible but the character building isn't that great and the plot is full of holes ( especially the part with Vampires, it really felt like they are in the story because the author likes them).
All in all I don't want to spend a lot of time talking about this book but here is a quick summary of the story :
- The hero( Blaine/Mick) gets condemned for the murder of his father( who deserved it) and sent t
Rachel Lightwood

Starting Ice Forged I was expecting some sort of epic fantasy, journey-type story with a big dash of adventure and some hot guy added in for luck. Whatever I was thinking, it couldn't have prepare me for what I got - it was so freakin' awesome!! There was sooo much more to it then I would have expected. Not only was it genuinely intriguing in its plotline, but it drew me in with the gorgeous characters, suspenseful mystery, kickass battle scenes, creative magical systems, medieval polit
Chris Hawks
I've picked up a number of books through LibraryThing's Early Reviewers program over the years. Some have been phenomenal, and some have been pretty good, but a lot of them have been pretty mediocre, if not downright bad. So when I signed up for a chance to win a copy of Gail Z. Martin's upcoming novel, I had my fingers crossed: all I really wanted was an enjoyable, competently-written fantasy from an established author at a well-known publisher.

Ice Forged delivered exactly that.

The basic premis
After killing his father, Lord Blaine McFadden is stripped of his title and sent to the harsh penal colony of Velant in the far north. Six years later, “Mick” has earned the rights of a colonist and has made a comfortable life for himself. However, war has broken out in the home country of Donderath, and the colony soon finds itself cut off from home, as well as the magic that pervades nearly all aspects of daily life.

Ice Forged has a very rushed and weak start. The prologue is good example of w
Benjamin Kohler
Disclaimer: I received this book for free from a Goodreads Giveaway.

I enjoyed this book. Being the first in (a trilogy?), I was left...unsatisfied.
The beginning of this story was very good. The characters were introduced and I was happy with them. And then in a flurry of activity there were a bunch of vampires, and the author seemed to rush through the ending. I almost wonder if he had a deadline he had to make. Furthermore, the ending was too much cliffhanger, not enough resolution.

I probably t
Sometimes you just want to go to the fair and eat funnel cake. Neither the fair nor the funnel cake are going to change your life in any way, but they can be good while they last. This is funnel cake fantasy, which doesn't mean that it's bad. It does mean that there is a certain ceiling on the level of quality, and also a certain amount of resemblance to someone's home brew Dungeons and Dragons setting.

Ice Forged is fine. That's the nicest thing to say about it. It's not bad. It throws some stoc
I received a copy of this title from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I had fun reading this book. It's set in a solid fantasy-type world with a nice concept of magic. I agree with another reviewer who said that the vampires (yes, there are vampires) seemed like they were added just because the author likes to write about them, not because they fit particularly well into the structure of the world. Everytime they pop up in the story, it feels a little forced. It didn't ruin the experi
What happens when the magic dies?

This is the question that comes up in this immediately captivating fantasy novel. A very interesting and polished magic system goes awry due to the fantasy equivalent of a World War. The populace has been taking the little touches of magic that make their lives easier for granted, and now discover the world is a much harsher place.

The dialog is snappy, the insights into the characters are entertaining. I am SO reading the next book in the series. And SOON.
Ice Forged was a quality epic fantasy. I enjoy Gail Z. Martin quite a bit. I loved Chronicles of the Necromancer. I didn't feel quite the connection to these characters that I felt to Tris or Kira or JonMarc, but enough to keep me interested until the end.

If I don't get to the second book in the series for a while, that will be ok, but I will eventually read it.
Michelle Hauck
I was a little thrown because the book starts right at the point where Blaine murders his sister’s molester. It didn’t really give us a chance to invest in the characters, in fact we barely see the sister, which makes it difficult to connect with the killing or Blaine’s exile. I keep reading mainly because of plot than because I ever developed a deep interest in the characters.

The plot I could get behind. It was interesting and had enough twists to keep my attention. I did want to see whether th
Douglas Meeks
First off, from some reviews I think people have not read much epic fantasy, first it is usually a trilogy, the descriptions are detailed and the "pacing" is slow but steady. (UPDATE: This will actually be 4 books I found out)

This is a great beginning to a epic trilogy that this story will become (I am making a easy assumption it will not end in 2 books). I find Blain to be a great hero and his group are exceptional for this story.

It is slow in some places but we are building a world here that i
it's actually 4/2 stars. maybe 4 3/4... really good, I look forward the next one.
Althea Ann
This was my first book by Gail Z. Martin. From the cover (I’m not really sure why) I was expecting something a bit more military-SF flavored. Nope. This is straight-up fantasy, and I’d recommend it for anyone in the mood for a big, chunky, entertaining but not-too-demanding tale in the genre.

We’re introduced to a Scottish-tinged land, a feudal realm dependent on magic. Blaine McFadden is heir to a manor, but his father’s atrocities finally drive him to kill the man. This action gets him exiled t
I received the ARC of this book through Goodreads First Reads. Thank you!
My first thought when I got this book is that it has a beautiful cover. Looking forward to start reading as soon as I get some free time from the busy holiday season.
I am pleasantly surprised with this book. I didn't have high expectations as this is the first book that I have read by this author. As I am a huge fan of Lord of the Rings and the Tairen Soul series similar (fantasy) world got me in with the first page. New wo
I snagged Ice Forged by Gail Z. Martin when it was a Kindle daily deal and decided it would a be good time to try out Amazon’s Whispersync Voice. Ice Forged is a strange mash-up of genres that peaked my interest when I saw Gail Martin’s guest post about the novel over at Fantasy Book Critic. In her article Martin discusses the genesis of her novel and the notion that Ice Forged takes the premise of an apocalyptic novel and transposes it from its modern setting to a medieval fantasy world. In Ice ...more
I received this book from Goodreads First Reads program, and it was unexpectedly personalized and signed, which was very nice! I really wanted to love this book, and I read the reviews from a few other winners who were big fans, and, to employ a cliche, I think there's a really compelling story in there. However, it just didn't do it for me. This is the story of Mick, a young nobleman's son who killed his abusive father and was sent to a penal colony in the northern wastes of the kingdom to mine ...more
An outstanding fantasy novel, Ice Forged breaks a lot of fantasy cliches wide open: characters behave rationally in situations, never allowing an overinflated sense of self to get in the way; the war in the background is important, but not nearly as important as what comes of it. Each character has a chance to shine, while the two male leads - Blaine MacFadden and Bevin Connor - a convict and a retainer find their paths converging in the wake of disaster. Neither one behaves like typical charact ...more
Fantasy Literature
There are some crimes that are so heinous that a person’s reaction to them is almost chemical, not logical. When Blaine McFadden is confronted by the sight of his beloved younger sister after she has been sexually assaulted, he loses control and in short order kills the man responsible. In that act, no matter how justified, Blaine seals his fate and is exiled to a distant, frozen penal colony to pay for having taken another man’s life.

Ice Forged is Gail Z. Martin’s initial entry in a new series
Feb 26, 2013 Meril rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: sff
I enjoyed the book, although it's the obvious first in a series. It does not stand alone. I also hope for more action from the female characters in the second book.

A rant: I dislike most real-world names in supposed secondary-world novels. The only place this really has worked for me is in books like the Coldfire trilogy where it's a science fantasy where the fantasy world was colonized from Earth. In fact, that's why I picked up this book in the first place; the hero's name led me astray. This
I like this story's world and plot but there are just a few things that keep me from rating it higher. Meaningless physical descriptions of every single person involved in a scene, and then letting us all know how the characters are reacting to something, or what they're doing inside of a room. This interrupts the flow of the narrative and annoyed me very quickly. The pacing as a whole felt a bit off, and in the end there is no really satisfying climax. And for some reason, the lack of female ch ...more
Jul 30, 2014 Nico rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: arc
ARC provided by NetGalley

Thanks to NetGalley I got the chance to try out Ice Forged, a book that wasn't really on my radar, but the blurb was promissing so I gave it a try.
Turns out it's a solid Fantasy story, but it's just too generic and nothing exceptional. Heavy use of tropes and slow pacing make it only a mdiocre novel for me. The world is interesting. A post-apocalyptic fantasy setting with magic and ... vampires. Yeah I'm not a fan of that and they felt kind of out of place.
You can give i
I really enjoyed this book. You get grabbed right from the start when you are confronted with why Blaine gets sent to Velant. You cheer him on but feel sorry for him at the same time. The characters were well written and the storyline was excellent. I finished this in two days and when I got to the end I was like omg, I have to wait to see what happens next!!!! All the elements of a good story are portrayed and you get to like and dislike characters.

A must read for fantasy fans or anyone who li
Dark Matter
This book was reviewed on Dark Matter Zine; for more reviews, interviews and articles, go to Dark Matter Zine. Alternatively, this link is just to Dark Matter Zine's reviews.

A review by Nalini Haynes

Blaine McFadden, heir to a title and lands, murders his father for raping his sister. King Merrell is lenient; instead of sentencing Blaine to death, he sentences Blaine to deportation to a land not unlike Greenland in this fantasy world.

Six years later, now called 'Mick', McFadden has forged a life
What's new with Ice Forged? 4 27 Jun 26, 2013 03:46PM
  • The Crown of the Blood
  • Herald of the Storm (Steelhaven, #1)
  • The Whitefire Crossing (Shattered Sigil, #1)
  • The City
  • The Lascar's Dagger (The Forsaken Lands, #1)
  • The Iron Wolves (The Rage of Kings, #1)
  • The Scroll of Years (Gaunt and Bone, #1)
  • The Barrow
  • The Hammer and the Blade (Egil and Nix #1)
  • Blood and Iron
  • The Grim Company (The Grim Company, #1)
  • Blue Skye (Woodland Village, #1)
  • The Legend of Eli Monpress (The Legend of Eli Monpress, #1-3)
  • Scourge of the Betrayer (Bloodsounder's Arc, #1)
  • Fade to Black (Rojan Dizon, #1)
  • The Usurper (King Rolen's Kin, #3)
  • Kingdoms of Dust (The Necromancer Chronicles, #3)
  • Desires Unleashed (Knights of the Darkness Chronicles, #1)
Gail Z. Martin discovered her passion for science fiction, fantasy and ghost stories in elementary school. The first story she wroteat age fivewas about a vampire. Her favorite TV show as a preschooler was Dark Shadows. At age 14, she decided to become a writer. She enjoys attending science fiction/fantasy conventions, Renaissance fairs and living history sites. She is married and has three childr ...more
More about Gail Z. Martin...

Ascendant Kingdoms (4 books)
  • Reign of Ash (Ascendant Kingdoms, #2)
  • War of Shadows (Ascendant Kingdoms, #3)
  • Shadow and Flame (Ascendant Kingdoms, #4)
The Summoner (Chronicles of the Necromancer, #1) The Blood King (Chronicles of the Necromancer, #2) Dark Haven (Chronicles of the Necromancer, #3) Dark Lady's Chosen (Chronicles of the Necromancer, #4) The Sworn (Fallen Kings Cycle, #1)