Start by marking “Papa: Hemingway in Key West” as Want to Read:
Papa: Hemingway in Key West

Papa: Hemingway in Key West

Ernest Hemingway first came to Key West in 1928. He liked what he saw, returned - and for the next 12 years called the island his home. During this period, he wrote Death in the Afternoon, Green Hills of Africa, To Have and Have Not, and began For Whom the Bell Tolls.
Published March 30th 1990 by Langley Press, Incorporated

To ask other readers questions about Papa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Papa

Adam Shake
Aug 14, 2016 Adam Shake rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
Excellent biography about the 10 years that Earnest spent in Key West while writing 7 of his novels.
Adam Jones
Jul 05, 2016 Adam Jones rated it really liked it
A fun read about Hemingway in the Keys. It was more interesting to me, I believe, since I have visited his house in the Keys and enjoy the outdoor life too.
Susan
Feb 14, 2009 Susan rated it it was ok
Often poorly written but enthusiastic scholarship, with a few interesting tidbits. Sort of worth reading for people who are still interested in the subject. His thesis is that the Papa myth was formed while Hemingway lived in Key West. So what? As I said, a little interesting, but torturous in places, as the author stuck in everythng he learned, and not too artfully. The other overriding problem is that Hemingway was such a brutish self-absorbed boor.
Blythe Gifford
May 22, 2015 Blythe Gifford rated it really liked it
Read this in preparation for a vacation in Key West, and as a Hemingway fan, quite enjoyed it. It is, almost literally, a diary/journal of his time there, but focused on the externals than the inner emotions. (His second marriage had just begun when he arrived and ended as he left, but we don't see any insight as to what happened between them.) As a writer myself, I particularly enjoyed the little tidbits about his daily schedule. Yes, he had dinner and drinks and fishing expeditions with his "M ...more
Steve Kettmann
Dec 09, 2011 Steve Kettmann rated it liked it
This is a fun book that I would recommend and in fact McLendon often writes quite well, not necessarily succumbing to that trap of everyone who writes about Hemingway, namely trying to write LIKE Hemingway. This is a quick read worth picking up for the interviews with old Key West cronies of Hemingway and for the vivid sense of place it evokes, especially the Key West of Hemingway's first visits there when he was making his first trolling runs in search of big fish. I never quite bought the thes ...more
Shane
Jan 07, 2016 Shane rated it liked it
I chose this book as I was making preparations for a Bucket List trip to the Florida Keys. It was a quick, enjoyable read for that purpose. Now I'm excited to visit Key West and actually to read more of Hemingway's life.
R.W. Jones
Aug 10, 2012 R.W. Jones rated it it was amazing
I bought this book after the "Hemingway House" tour mostly because I think I was just "in the moment" However, after starting it on the plane home, I couldn't put it down. This was a great book, and I would imagine ranks up there with ANY Hemingway big out there. McClendon truly made you feel you were part of his "Key West Mob." Thank you for this great read!
Charles
Jun 09, 2013 Charles rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfic-biography
This covers in detail the period that Hemingway spent in Key West, primarily during his marriage to Pauline. It tells about the founding of the Papa myth and how much work Hemingway himself put into building up that image of himself. Enjoyable.
Jon Breakfield
Jul 17, 2012 Jon Breakfield rated it it was amazing
When my wife and I first arrived in Key West this was the first book that we both read. As Hemingway fans - it was of course a must read. Thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of this biography especially learning about the Key West of Hemingway's time.
Philip
May 05, 2012 Philip rated it it was amazing
When I first moved to Key West I bought this book. McLendon transports you back to the 30s. Pure joy to walk the same streets.
Frank Wilem
Apr 01, 2013 Frank Wilem rated it really liked it
A great book and a must for any Hemingway fan.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Michael Keeling
Michael Keeling rated it it was ok
Sep 14, 2016
Carol
Carol rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2016
Jon McGurn
Jon McGurn marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Mike May
Mike May marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2016
Cheryl Witte
Cheryl Witte rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Krissy
Krissy rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Alyssa
Alyssa rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2015
Mark Hiser
Mark Hiser marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Tom Meek
Tom Meek rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2015
Patrick McNally
Patrick McNally rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2015
Connie Griffin
Connie Griffin marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015