Start by marking “Papa: Hemingway in Key West” as Want to Read:
Papa: Hemingway in Key West

Papa: Hemingway in Key West

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  52 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Ernest Hemingway first came to Key West in 1928. He liked what he saw, returned - and for the next 12 years called the island his home. During this period, he wrote Death in the Afternoon, Green Hills of Africa, To Have and Have Not, and began For Whom the Bell Tolls.
Published March 30th 1990 by Langley Press, Incorporated

To ask other readers questions about Papa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Papa

Susan
Often poorly written but enthusiastic scholarship, with a few interesting tidbits. Sort of worth reading for people who are still interested in the subject. His thesis is that the Papa myth was formed while Hemingway lived in Key West. So what? As I said, a little interesting, but torturous in places, as the author stuck in everythng he learned, and not too artfully. The other overriding problem is that Hemingway was such a brutish self-absorbed boor.
Steve Kettmann
This is a fun book that I would recommend and in fact McLendon often writes quite well, not necessarily succumbing to that trap of everyone who writes about Hemingway, namely trying to write LIKE Hemingway. This is a quick read worth picking up for the interviews with old Key West cronies of Hemingway and for the vivid sense of place it evokes, especially the Key West of Hemingway's first visits there when he was making his first trolling runs in search of big fish. I never quite bought the thes ...more
R.W. Jones
I bought this book after the "Hemingway House" tour mostly because I think I was just "in the moment" However, after starting it on the plane home, I couldn't put it down. This was a great book, and I would imagine ranks up there with ANY Hemingway big out there. McClendon truly made you feel you were part of his "Key West Mob." Thank you for this great read!
Charles
This covers in detail the period that Hemingway spent in Key West, primarily during his marriage to Pauline. It tells about the founding of the Papa myth and how much work Hemingway himself put into building up that image of himself. Enjoyable.
Jon Breakfield
When my wife and I first arrived in Key West this was the first book that we both read. As Hemingway fans - it was of course a must read. Thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of this biography especially learning about the Key West of Hemingway's time.
Philip
When I first moved to Key West I bought this book. McLendon transports you back to the 30s. Pure joy to walk the same streets.
Frank Wilem
A great book and a must for any Hemingway fan.
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Candace Kizer
Candace Kizer marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Isabell Lorentzen
Isabell Lorentzen is currently reading it
Sep 15, 2014
Mike Loper
Mike Loper marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Arno
Arno added it
May 29, 2014
Abhishek
Abhishek marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Teresa Morse
Teresa Morse marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Kathy
Kathy is currently reading it
Mar 09, 2014
Steve White
Steve White marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2014
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2013
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2013
Tara P
Tara P added it
Sep 20, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Eddie Macon's Run Deathwork PAPA Hemingway in Key West Papa Hemingway in Key West Deathwork: A Novel